(shouting)

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Re: Sticky: [Poll] LP Subforum Thread 999

Post by KobaBeach »

together we can show the country what we can do
you are next to me and im next to you
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Re: Sticky: [Poll] Re: LP Subforum Thread 999

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago i am not "somebody" i am God
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

IF IT SHOOTS YA

IT'S FIRIN' IN SPURTS

I've always beem fascinated with stop n go station. It's a gimmick nd enemy that appears in all of one level and then never again. Which isn't the first time a game has done that, but it's the first time me as a child noticed it
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Oh boy, DKC time. Stop & Go Station used to scare the hell out of me as a kid and even nowadays it still makes me feel anxious. It's so good at setting the mood and I love it.

Also color me surprised that DK and Diddy actually have differences besides DK being able to kill a few more enemies. I never knew about them jumping different heights.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I feel like this is one of the games that really codified the gimmick level. Like, Rock Krocs appear only in Stop & Go Station and nowhere else in the game, and that level is super memorable for the atmosphere and use of them.

DKC2 and 3 take gimmick levels even further and imo are all the better for it.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

strongbadman wrote: 5 years agoIF IT SHOOTS YA

IT'S FIRIN' IN SPURTS

I've always beem fascinated with stop n go station. It's a gimmick nd enemy that appears in all of one level and then never again. Which isn't the first time a game has done that, but it's the first time me as a child noticed it
Iirc it's also one of the levels you can basically skip over too. Unless I'm mixing it up with a cave level in one of the later worlds you can simply go straight back in the entrance and warp to somewhere near the end of the level.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Taigiry wrote: 5 years ago Oh boy, DKC time. Stop & Go Station used to scare the hell out of me as a kid and even nowadays it still makes me feel anxious. It's so good at setting the mood and I love it.

Also color me surprised that DK and Diddy actually have differences besides DK being able to kill a few more enemies. I never knew about them jumping different heights.
I'm just happy that raocow isn't one of those guys who're like "okay so this is Donkey Kong Country by which I mean Diddy Kong Country because I'm only going to use Donkey for the three seconds at the start where you have to". Watching too many speedruns warps your brain; Donkey is just fine to use, but yet, Diddy is faster. I admit to using him in water, because there the difference does matter a lot more.
FourteenthOrder wrote: I feel like this is one of the games that really codified the gimmick level. Like, Rock Krocs appear only in Stop & Go Station and nowhere else in the game, and that level is super memorable for the atmosphere and use of them.

DKC2 and 3 take gimmick levels even further and imo are all the better for it.
I actually hate most gimmick levels, but the first two DKCs are just really GOOD at it. That's because while a lot of the levels have those specific gimmicks, they don't force completely different gameplay on you. It's still a platforming challenge to clear Stop&Go Station, but you have two extra incentives: hit specific objects (you're doing that anyway, for bananas, but it's no longer optional now), and then jump and run under a time limit. And the game is good at getting you to and letting you GO.

Basically, if the level theme or unique enemy or whatever supplements the basic platforming, it's good. If the level BECOMES the gimmick, it's (usually) bad.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Is it true tha Donkey Kong is a better swimmer than Diddy? I've heard that somewhere, but couldn't really tell when playing myself.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

if that's true it's so minute I have not noticed at all
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It's probably from the same source as 'Purple Yoshi is in Yoshi's Story'
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Is it true tha Donkey Kong is a better swimmer than Diddy? I've heard that somewhere, but couldn't really tell when playing myself.
They both swim at the exact same speeds, both vertically and horizontally.

The only differences underwater are that Diddy has a smaller hitbox.
Even while riding Enguarde, you move at the same speeds, unlike other animal buddies.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years agoDKC2 and 3 take gimmick levels even further and imo are all the better for it.
I gotta disagree here. While I don't mind the occasional gimmick level, I do think DKC3 went a bit overboard with them. It's still a very good game, but probably my least favorite of the trilogy.

DKC2's gimmick stages are fine though, can't really think of a bad stage off the top of my head. Unlike DKC3 which features my top three least favorite stages from the entire trilogy.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I didn't say "the first two DKCs have good gimmick levels" for nothing.

Sorry about the swim speed playground rumour. I'm pretty sure it's true that Diddy swims faster than Dixie, and i just extrapolated backwards with no proof. Bad scientist, Simon!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

real chimps dont have tails but echidnas dont have knuckles either

i dont think yiff 'em up gamedevs care
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice

Post by Alice »

Taigiry wrote: 5 years agoUnlike DKC3 which features my top three least favorite stages from the entire trilogy.
Out of curiosity which three are those? I can only think of one level in the entire game that I actually hated and that's the lightning stage in the last world which was a huge difficulty wall for me when I was younger. (I actually beat the secret world long before beating the game normally because of it...) Though that level also turned out to be far easier than I thought it was too.
Sebby19

Re: Preview: VIP & Wall & Alaska Mix 5: the re-LP

Post by Sebby19 »

I believe Diddy is a Spider Monkey.

Nice use of the hand slap move. That move can also reveal hidden banana bunches in the ground. What I discovered when I got the SNES Classic is that those spots are freaking everywhere! Typically in the center of a platform. And every 10th one you find (this count carries across levels), you are instead awarded with a 1up balloon.

Finally, I think in Vulture Culture, if you speedrun the beginning of the level as Donkey, there is an invisible warp barrel you can use. Should be just after a cliff, right after a low flying Necky.
I remember seeing this in a AGDQ.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Alice wrote:
Taigiry wrote: 5 years agoUnlike DKC3 which features my top three least favorite stages from the entire trilogy.
Out of curiosity which three are those? I can only think of one level in the entire game that I actually hated and that's the lightning stage in the last world which was a huge difficulty wall for me when I was younger. (I actually beat the secret world long before beating the game normally because of it...) Though that level also turned out to be far easier than I thought it was too.
How about reverse control water

Or any of those toboggan pieces of shit

Some of those "Squawks but you can't attack but have to awkwardly carry barrels instead" levels are also suuuuper annoying.

Anyway as for today: I do think DKC (hell, all of them) is a pretty tough game. If I went back to it right now, I know I would struggle a lot, some of those jumps are pretty damn tight and there's a whole bunch of instant death! raocow is just correct in saying that he's insanely used to difficult platformers, but even he dies a few times - a kid whose still struggling with controls and maybe limited lives breathing down their neck would do waaaaay worse. And I did!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I had the exact opposite experience with Expresso's bonus as you - I was able to get over 900 with her somewhat regularly, while I never even broke 800 with any of the other animals.

I'm starting to think that my favorite part of this LP is going to be your hatred for the animal bonus stages, particularly since you have no way of knowing how many of the tokens you have unless you get one (and therefore will be regularly unexpectedly shunted off to a bonus game).
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

How are you meant to get that one Espresso token? I didn't see Winky in the level.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago I had the exact opposite experience with Expresso's bonus as you - I was able to get over 900 with her somewhat regularly, while I never even broke 800 with any of the other animals.
I thought he was saying Expresso's was the most boring.
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago How are you meant to get that one Espresso token? I didn't see Winky in the level.
Diddy Kong's Spectacular Gravity-Defying Double Jump? I have not played the game so I don't know if that works though.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoHow about reverse control water

Or any of those toboggan pieces of shit

Some of those "Squawks but you can't attack but have to awkwardly carry barrels instead" levels are also suuuuper annoying.
I basically have no real issue with any of those personally. The reverse controls level's only actual issue is that getting out of the water can be finicky. (Which admittedly can be rather annoying at times.) The toboggan levels are my personal favorites, especially the one in the snow world. And I think the Squawks levels are actually fairly decent for the most part. There's only one that's an issue from my point of view and that's simply because it's like 10x longer than any other level in the game and not because it's a purple Squawks level. (Though this level isn't entirely a Squawks level anyways. There's Kong parts and even a spiderthing part.)
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, no, I understand why people don't like 3 but I love it. 2's still my favorite, though.

Anyway, the only level in 3 I genuinely dislike is Kong-Fused Cliffs. Like, it's not even that hard, but the screen really doesn't have enough vertical space for what it's trying to do and thus enemies kind of come out of nowhere with very little time to react.

Also I'm a little surprised Tree Top Town was hard for young raocow, young me played that and was like "wow, that was significantly easier than both the previous level and like all of world 2". But then I was stuck at the next one for at least a billion years, so
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

World 3 was my personal wall for a long time. I recall the second half of the map being pretty big difficult spike, the water level in particular. But I absolutely adore the aesthetics of the tree top stages.
Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Gonna spoiler just in case:
Funnily enough, the lightning stage is one of the three I had in mind, though it's not so much that i dislike those stages for their difficulty, but for other reasons:

Lightning Lookout: the already mentioned lightning stage. It's just such a chore and bore to play. The constant lightning strikes break the flow of the game. Apparently the GBA remake increased the time between strikes to 4 seconds, but that on the other hand just nerfs the whole challenge. It's just an all around annoying stage.

Poisonous Pipeline: not a difficult stage, but the whole gimmick of reversing your controls is flat out annoying. Some people might not mind it, but I dislike difficulty that comes from messing with the controls instead of the level design. It also feels underwhelming for being the last normal stage in the game. I think I wouldn't mind it as much if Poisonous Pipeline and Koindozer Klamber switched places, ending the last normal world with a proper plattforming stage, instead of a gimmicky water one.

Rocket Rush: the true last stage in the game and probably the most gimmicky of them all. After all the challenging levels in the secret world you're greeted to a glorified bonus stage which plays nothing like the rest of the game. It's just such a bad way to end the game and again, feels really underwhelming, at least to me. I wouldn't mind Rocket Rush if it were a bonus stage, but making it a real stage, the last one in the game even, feels like a bad decision to me.

But then again, I'm one of the few people who seem to actually like Animal Antics.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Mata Hari wrote: 5 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago I had the exact opposite experience with Expresso's bonus as you - I was able to get over 900 with her somewhat regularly, while I never even broke 800 with any of the other animals.
I thought he was saying Expresso's was the most boring.
I can't even fathom this due to not even remembering Rambi's (despite the fact that I'm pretty sure he's done it once already this LP)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »