(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Re: La-Mulana - Ecdysis

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Yeah... original's ladders were way more obvious but you did climb a vine immediately early on... I'm in two minds. Beelzebub didn't cause the horn to go off, so obviously there's nowhere to go but forward but that the vine doesn't even come close to the ground is a bit much. Maybe a little closer would have been nice

But hey! Congrats, the 9th Guardian has been defeated! (or at least is called one in the original) Next time, reach the boss room probably. But maybe a chance at a FINAL. I don't remember any of True Shrine, let alone how hard the boss is. Maybe 2nd half is hell in itself and needs practice before a shot at the boss. Those monkeys are way meaner here.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Episode 57: "Next time we take on the Mother!" 20:47
Episode 58: "Vines are hard to see."

I bet we're ending on episode 60.

On my first playthrough, the first vine ladder stumped me. Because they are legitimately hard to see.
1234abcdcba4321
this is a guy

Post by 1234abcdcba4321 »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago The Shrine of the Mother has some lost forever items, when it transforms into the True Shrine. Those are the map, and the Life Jewel.
Not the map, as it's required to place the dragon bone (which you need to fight Tiamat and maybe Palenque). I guess it's technically lost forever, but if you have to already have it it's not really lost.

I'm guessing two more episodes for the end.

yo.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hmm, I just remember reading that several items in the Shrine could be lost when it transforms.

Or maybe that read was for the original
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Hmm, I just remember reading that several items in the Shrine could be lost when it transforms.

Or maybe that read was for the original
The other missable item is the Bounce Shot software.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Beelzebub, lord of decay and laughter is first mentioned in Old Testament/Tanakh. There, Ba'al Zebub is a title given by the Israelites to the god of a neighboring people, whom they accused of idolatry. The name means "Lord of the Flies" and is meant as an insult. There are two theories as to how the title came to be. The first is that the god was part of a fly cult. Fly cult deities were prayed to to drive out disease. The second is that one of the god's titles was Ba'al Zebul, Lord of a High Place, and that Ba'al Zebub is a pun.
In the Testament of Solomon, a text not considered canon by any major religion, but which influenced later occultism, Beelzebub is summoned by King Solomon to build his temple.
Beelzebub would later appear in many 17th century grimoires.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I won't give raocow trouble for not seeing the vine because i definitely didn't see some of the vines in here when i played. Maybe not that one specifically, but others definitely gave me trouble.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

I don't know what bothers me more, how long it took him to see the ladder, or

the fact that he hasn't opened his inventory yet.

Signature text.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Euclid

Post by Awoo »

Draexzhan wrote: 4 years ago I don't know what bothers me more, how long it took him to see the ladder, or

the fact that he hasn't opened his inventory yet.

But he did open his inventory! About 10 minutes in or so.

Good job killing Baxter Stockman today, raocow! :sparklythings:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

a 1h20min recording, I wonder what this means
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago a 1h20min recording, I wonder what this means
You miss three vines this time? nyoro~n
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:Ghouls and Ghousts
Would a goost be the ASMT version of a boo?
Heavy Sigh

Re: La-Mulana - Wishbringer

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Apparently the amount of people running during the credits is directly tied to your ingame performance, such as completion time, difficulty level, and items acquired, among other things.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Electrolytic

Post by Awoo »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
raocow wrote:Ghouls and Ghousts
Would a goost be the ASMT version of a boo?
I thought they were (Boo) Bees?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

But the adventure continues...
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

The real La-Mulana starts here!

What a ride. Thanks for play, raocow! There's still a lot of year left, but I can see this easily being THE raocow LP of 2019. The way the action, humor, and copious note-taking all came together to pay off was just *chef kiss* excellent.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Advent Azure
Cursed Background Character
First name: Dr. Borg

Post by Advent Azure »

This has been an awesome ride. I got to see a whole bunch of things I never saw before, including some strange bugs, but I've been looking forward to watching this whole series since I saw that it was gonna be a B-Side thing.

Super looking forward to La-Mulana 2. It's definitely gonna be interesting. I beat that game already, and certainly loved it. It's definitely gonna require more effort on raocow's part.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Filby wrote: 4 years ago The real La-Mulana starts here!
Dammit, you beat me to it.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Wow I called it better than I expected. I figured there'd be some HUGE barrier to overcome to make it 2 parts but Mom ended up being an easier boss than I thought. Congrats raocow! I'm so glad you played this. It was an awesome run.

I AM kinda disappointed they removed the Ocean puzzle, I really like that one. Especially since weird eyeball monster thingy is super easy especially with sub weapons.

Next time a game of nothing but action? We're seein Copy Kitty FINAL again!
Last edited by Lostsoldier20 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

You did an excellent job on getting through this. I'm curious to see how the sequel goes - I personally found it quite a bit more challenging (and, aside from the odd game-breaking bug, a better experience overall). Since it sounds like you're going into it 100% blind, it's definitely going to be a super entertaining LP to watch.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Congratulations, raocow. Supreme performance throughout and a hard-fought, well-deserved victory.

For those curious about the thread title theme, it's explained in the spoiler block.
Every title is a work of interactive fiction, or "text adventures" in old-school parlance. If you've heard of Zork or any other works by Infocom - yeah, those. I specifically used Infocom titles for all episodes with a guardian fight (and a few others where fitting), but the vast majority of the titles are more recent fan-made and freely-available works.

If you the reader have any interest in seeing the current state of interactive fiction (there's a TREMENDOUS amount of quality entertainment out there in the medium), I suggest you visit: https://ifdb.tads.org/

Why this theme? Because raocow was playing a game that required reading, of course.
The final boss theme is one of my personal favorite final boss themes. In any game. With, I think, the perfect title.

"Good Night Mom" (the Mother's theme)

raocow, I was most happy to be of assistance. When the time comes for the sequel, I'll be ready to do so again.
Last edited by Voltgloss 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Congrats on beating La Mulana raocow.

I'm in the camp that basically figured this would be a train-wreck. Particularly because I figured that La-mulana's mid/late-game would "kill raocow through boredom." Especially with the nonsense of the Chamber of Birth.

I want to point out how smoothly the playthrough went. I'm pretty sure most people get walled by something in La-mulana at some point, some puzzle or oversight that basically stonewalls progress for hours. There was not a single "Episode Zero" or "No progress" episode, or really even a low progress episode.
Like one frustrating aspect of this LP was how raocow would chime "I have no idea where to go." and he'd immediately find progress without fail.
He probably sees it editing later on though, so reviewing what you did could put clues into context better, I guess?
It's just frustrating because this playthrough was especially errant.

Like when raocow says "Hell Temple wasn't that bad." Like what was he expecting? Tekemi's challenge nonsense? Hyper 6 endgame levels of garbage? The whole thing took over four episodes. It added over 3 hours of timed gamplay (And it added alot more untimed gameplay) The primary sticking points of Hell Temple are the expressive skulls and the spike shaft.

Would it have been alot more difficult if he hadn't seen multiple playthroughs of this game in the past? Cause he beat the whole game with a much faster time than Iso did. (30 hours vs 21h) and you beat the whole game+Hell temple with a lower hour count than my non Hell-temple playthrough.

I recall a tablet which talks about Mulbruk's escape route but I don't remember the exact details of it? I know Mulbruk also mentions it at some point as well. I'm just trying to figure out where it was.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Tiamat, the Twins, Nuwa, Echidna (I'm assuming that was her in Echidna's room) all are snake people.
The truth is revealed, Mother too is a snake person.
I have had it with these Mother deity snakes in this Mother deity temple.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean people keep saying that hell temple is the worst so I internalized it and expected 'the worst', it's just that my idea of 'worst' is stupidly high because of my experience with the games I play.

And I mean yeah. Whenever I'd get stuck I'd look at my notes and something or another would remind me of *something* to poke that. This plus seeing all my footage again in editing means things stayed fresh in my head zone for a bit. This playthrough would have been very different without that and the notes. Whenever I'd get stuck with nothing to do, I had ressources to refresh my memory.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
sylvie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sylvie »

I'm also surprised at the low in-game time. I don't remember how long La-Mulana took me the first time, but me and a friend both took 50+ hours for the sequel, and I thought they were similar in length.

I think a big part of the La-Mulana experience for most people is getting stuck on a progress-blocking puzzle, incorrectly assuming you don't have the ability or knowledge to solve it yet, and wandering fruitlessly around the 12 or so different areas you have unlocked for hours looking for something you missed. But raocow managed to largely avoid this through some incredible combination of skill, instinct, luck, guesswork, brute-forcing, vague memories of past LPs, and having a dedicated note-taker. This was a really fun LP to watch.