(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: La-Mulana - All Roads

Post by Alice »

Kleetus wrote: 5 years agoI just realized that Lameza can get Xelpud's e-mails while inside the ruins. This means Lameza can still get an internet connection while far underground in a realm where conventional rules of space do not appear to apply.
Xelpud just randomly ran a bunch of wifi extenders throughout the ruins is all.
Zinfandel

Re: La-Mulana - All Roads

Post by Zinfandel »

Tagged for large image, not actually a spoiler:
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - Hunter, in Darkness

Post by Draexzhan »

I'm very upset. raocow was painfully close to opening the Gate of Time. I shouted at my monitor when he walked away mere moments before it opened.

Signature text.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Draexzhan wrote: 5 years ago

I'm very upset. raocow was painfully close to opening the Gate of Time. I shouted at my monitor when he walked away mere moments before it opened.

SAME
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago
Draexzhan wrote: 5 years ago

SAME
I was also hoping.

Significant progress was made today! I forgot that the Chamber of Extinction is completely dark in this version. In the original, only some of the rooms were, and once you got around the grail tablet the rooms would light up again. That said, I don't think the flares lit up the dark rooms even temporarily, so if you wanted to get to the tablet you were going to have to go all the way through the first part in total darkness. Not fun.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think in the original the flaregun can temporarily light up the rooms exactly like this game, but there was no circle of light around the flares, or Lemeza.

But yeah, good job today raocow, you discovered a lot! Two subweapons, explored almost all of the Chamber of Extinction, got its map and Life Jewel, blundered your way into the final area (as you surmised it was), and saw 2 more types of fairies. Key Fairy and Weapon Fairy.

In hindsight, the entrance to the Shrine of the Mother is actually pretty to get to, for that No Guardian challenge I made for myself. Only thing really stopping anyone from making a beeline for it is dumping the water into the Temple of the Sun. However, because the Chamber of Extinction is not a fun place to navigate, I pretty much explored 70% of the game first. Welp.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

so, loadingreadyrun just announced they'll be streaming la mulana starting next wednesday. what timing :P
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leylite

Post by Leylite »

So, one of the YouTube comments mentioned that the blue fairy copies whatever subweapon you have equipped, and uses it for free.

Does that mean *any* subweapon, namely,

...the gun, too?

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Leylite wrote: 5 years ago Does that mean *any* subweapon, namely,

...the gun, too?

That is the one exception.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

It's a good thing Lameza's resemblance to Indiana Jones is only hat and whip deep; I don't think Dr. Jones would be too impressed with all the snakes in La-Mulana.
I like today's mini-boss it has a cool creepy look to it, especially the way it seems to dissolve into blood when defeated. raocow's "strategy" of standing sill and flailing with the knife is in fact one of the preferred and recommended ways of fighting the mini-boss.
Different sources give the mini-boss slightly different names, (I think the name was changed between different versions of the game) but they're all variants on Hekatoncheir. The Hekatoncheires were storm giants of Greek myth with 100 hands and 50 heads. The mini-boss has little to do with the Greek myth, but Hekatoncheir literally means 100 hands, so it's not really false advertising.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow previously discovered a shop that sells Flare Gun ammo in

the Temple of the Sun

. He didn't recognize it for what it was at the time (and really why would anyone, it looks like a bottle), but now that he has the Flare Gun, I'm updating the relevant shop description in the opening posts.

I am also adding to the second post a spoiler-covered list of locations of the mini-Nebra-sky-disks raocow has seen so far.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I didn't mention this since my post was getting long, but I think I noticed a destructible wall that rao hit a couple times. It was in the same room as the fairy. Either that or I got confused with the Key Fairy's sparkles, but I doubt it.

As for the Chakram, I forget how effective it is, but I think it might go through monsters. You should definitely test it out on an enemy, rao.

Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Interesting detail at the start of the video today:

Xelpud claiming to be the final boss is probably a reference to the Elder in Terranigma, who ends up being the final boss Dark Gaia.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I didn't mention this since my post was getting long, but

I think I noticed a destructible wall that rao hit a couple times. It was in the same room as the fairy. Either that or I got confused with the Key Fairy's sparkles, but I doubt it.

Someone mentioned that in the YT comments.

Apparently that is a destructible wall, and they were hoping he would notice in editing

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Okay whoever reported my previous post please explain to me why observations are considered spoilers as well?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Okay whoever reported my previous post please explain to me why observations are considered spoilers as well?
To be fair to you, one of the top YT comments says pretty much the exact same thing, along with someone spelling out exactly what the fairies he saw today do. 😐
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm one day late with music, so here's two tracks!

First: Eden. Such a calming tune with atypical instrumentation. Spiritually soothing. Newly added for the remake. Short, yet unique.

"Eden" (theme for Eden)

Second: the Chamber of Extinction! With flares in hand raocow plumbs the dark depths. The interior voices (between the relentless drumbeat and the sliding melody on top) really make this one I think. And I especially enjoy the section beginning at 1:35.

"M.U." (theme for the Chamber of Extinction)

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Okay whoever reported my previous post please explain to me why observations are considered spoilers as well?
Think of it as, untagged helping is unwanted. If raocow didn't see something, it's still a secret, even if it showed on screen briefly. The genuine play experience of La Mulana includes not noticing stuff.

Voltgloss is taking notes of things raocow actually saw, and even then, that's all behind spoiler tags that raocow can choose to reference only when he decides to.

(We might wish we could hold the youtube comments to the same standard, but google owns those.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Voltgloss is taking notes of things raocow actually saw, and even then, that's all behind spoiler tags that raocow can choose to reference only when he decides to.
You know, you're right there. Voltgloss probably would have noted that anyways, and I'm being redundant.
I'm just surprised since I've made similar observations in the past (like a carrot bomb from raocow going through a fake wall, for example), and nobody complained then.
I also wasn't 100% sure if I saw what I saw, so felt no harm in saying something.
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Stink Terios

Re: La-Mulana - Beet the Devil

Post by Stink Terios »

Err just once and it shall never reach your hands.
That was not an idle threat! If raocow hadn't solved the puzzle on his first try and saved, he would've been permanently locked out of the chain whip, which would suck.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Oh thank god he noticed the key fairy in editing.

Good job getting the chain whip. It's a nice upgrade, though I always miss the whip crack of the basic one.
Signature text.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Voltgloss is taking notes of things raocow actually saw, and even then, that's all behind spoiler tags that raocow can choose to reference only when he decides to.
You know, you're right there. Voltglass probably would have noted that anyways, and I'm being redundant.
I'm just surprised since I've made similar observations in the past (like a carrot bomb from raocow going through a fake wall, for example), and nobody complained then.
I also wasn't 100% sure if I saw what I saw, so felt no harm in saying something.
Stop converting my name into a derogatory term.

This is the third time.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago Err just once and it shall never reach your hands.
That was not an idle threat! If raocow hadn't solved the puzzle on his first try and saved, he would've been permanently locked out of the chain whip, which would suck.
i'm genuinely surprised he didn't lock himself out of it, tbh
it would have been super on-brand to struggle a dozen times against a boss only to flub up getting the thing the boss unlocks and not realize that screwing up means losing it forever, thus rendering all that effort pointless
la-mulana is not a nice game, btw
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It's no Vampire Killer, but we'll take it nonetheless.
I don't know if the Chain Whip is stronger than the Knife. Or know any of the damage values for the weapons.

I'm surprised and impressed by the mileage raocow is getting out of the Knife. I never used becuase of it's teensy range.

It's looks like they buffed all the mini bosses in the remake. Great...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica