(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: La-Mulana - Moonmist

Post by FPzero »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Hm, I forgot Anubis has either some kind of requirement to damage him, or he can only be damaged by a weapon you didn't try. Did you try the whip or axe on him? I think you only tried knife. Legitimately can't recall if this is the answer or not, because I remember from LM Classic that he didn't have a damage requirement and figured that was going to be the case today if raocow made it. This portion of the game kinda got shuffled around a lot between Classic and Remake.

you need the book of the dead to be able to damage anubis.

Man, I thought that's what you *got* for defeating him. I totally forget where it is in that case.

Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Draexzhan »

raocow has pretty much reached what I consider to be the first real bottleneck of La-Mulana. I think he'll soon reach the point that I was at when I cracked and looked something up.

But hey, he's getting closer and closer to getting a double-jump, so that's really cool. That'll open up a lot for him.

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago
CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Hm, I forgot Anubis has either some kind of requirement to damage him, or he can only be damaged by a weapon you didn't try. Did you try the whip or axe on him? I think you only tried knife. Legitimately can't recall if this is the answer or not, because I remember from LM Classic that he didn't have a damage requirement and figured that was going to be the case today if raocow made it. This portion of the game kinda got shuffled around a lot between Classic and Remake.

you need the book of the dead to be able to damage anubis.

Man, I thought that's what you *got* for defeating him. I totally forget where it is in that case.

Mulbruk gives it to you after you fail to damage Anubis.

Signature text.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Excellent progress today. Perhaps most important is the conclusion reached at 2:30. Put into good practice, for one example, between 8:58 and 9:40. A lesson well learned, and well rewarding.

Time for Temple of Moonlight music! One of my favorite areas and one of my favorite tracks. Especially for its "vocals." C'mon, let's dance.

"Moon Light Dance" (theme for the Temple of Moonlight)

maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago

In Classic,

you got the Book of the Dead in that room, with no Anubis miniboss. However, in Classic the Book did nothing except protect you from the mini Jackals. Furthermore, in Classic that rooms was the ONLY place that Jackals appeared, unless you activated Hard Mode.

In this LP,

I'm really really really gladthat raocow teleported out of the room instead of just dying. In my Remake playthrough I died to Anubis once and never went back there. I suffered hard in the midgame for lack of what he gives you, until reaching the point where I couldn't continue and I had to ask for help.

BTW, the Axe is hugely buffed in Remake. Classic Axe was way too slow to ever be practical, but the Remake version is a fan favorite. That power and range are so good now.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow you did damage skarmory once! just saying! maybe you caught this in editing!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Christopher Lloyd wrote: 5 years ago
I change this sig every year for Advent
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

maou shoujo wrote: 5 years ago BTW, the Axe is hugely buffed in Remake. Classic Axe was way too slow to ever be practical, but the Remake version is a fan favorite. That power and range are so good now.
I beg to differ. Read my earlier post where I gush about it.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Honestly, on my play through, I didn't see the resemblance, but there's totally a

Michael Jackson cameo

there.
Draexzhan
Flair text

Re: La-Mulana - A Fine Day for Reaping

Post by Draexzhan »

Eyyyy, double jump! Everyone loves a double jump.

raocow actually found something in the Gate of Time that I don't believe I ever found. To be honest, I'm kind of baffled that I never looked there.
Signature text.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess you and raocow forgot the Reset Fairy is in the exact same spot as the shop that sold the 'Hidden Shop Alarm' software.

I have an idea where the La-Mulana rom is. I'll only give it out if asked though. I could also be completely wrong.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I have an idea where the La-Mulana rom is. I'll only give it out if asked though. I could also be completely wrong.
This is the one time where you are well within reason to post this, since one of the Gate of Time tablets just straight out says "go ask for outside help" as the solution.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Kay nevermind. I looked it up and was completely wrong. La-Mulana.exe was in a different spot than I was thinking. I did discover a couple more secrets though.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh hey, look at that. DeceasedCrab commented on the video about a half hour ago.

I remember wanting a collab between the rao and DC years ago.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Getting the double jump kind of changes everything as you might imagine. Lots of places are now accessible with that second jump, so doing a "world tour" of sorts isn't a bad idea.

Also since we finally got the upgraded computer, i can briefly mention how the upgrade worked in Classic. It allowed you to load two pieces of software at one time. Yes, that means that if you wanted the map, you had to unload your text translation software before you bought this computer. Buying the computer was also the only way to finally start combining software together, something that we've seen is possible in the remake with just the basic computer, but is now way more easy and convenient since you have double the RAM to load stuff. You don't have to unload important software just to experiment with other combos.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i continue to be impressed at how well raocow is making progress but he is, like, actually using the notes, which is what you're supposed to do, so!

i don't think that fairy can actually reset the puzzle for the temple of the sun map, though, right?

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i continue to be impressed at how well raocow is making progress but he is, like, actually using the notes, which is what you're supposed to do, so!

i don't think that fairy can actually reset the puzzle for the temple of the sun map, though, right?

pretty sure she can only reset a few major item puzzles with a one-shot element, like the chain whip and other items. The temple of the sun one is just for the map - which will hurt a lot near the end.

strongbadman

Re: La-Mulana - City of Secrets

Post by strongbadman »

Oh my god, I only just now got the title gimmick. Honestly I should've gotten it at Hot Throttle, but Way gave me flashbacks. Haven't thought about that in a long, long time.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

And tick the box for raocow brute-forcing today's puzzle. The puzzle name is

Name the Nameless One

I did the exact same thing on my first play through.

Because the shell horn gives you an error message whenever you pick an incorrect tile, this puzzle's daunting 30 combinations goes to a 1/6 chance of finding the 1st tile and then a 1/5 chance of finding the 2nd tile.

Finding the correct 1st tile eliminates a good portion of the wrong answers and makes this puzzle vulnerable to brute forcing since it eliminates 25 of the wrong combinations for you. Thanks Magic Conch.

An extremely vague word of advice regarding this puzzle and advising future puzzles:

It would serve raocow well to understand how to correctly solve this puzzle.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It's too bad you couldn't read those symbols above that mechanism by Zebu. I hope you can figure those out eventually.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Building off Zummorr's post and hint about the puzzle name, this puzzle can obviously be brute-forced as we saw, but it would be a good idea to try and understand why it worked. I'll offer a hint and the solution in spoilers to anyone curious about it:

Hint:
Those tiles are glyphs. Our glyph reader does what to glyphs? Translates them into.....?
Solution:
So the tiles are actually letters in La-Mulanese script. The puzzle says "Name the Nameless one", who we've learned is Mu. So how would you learn which glyphs corresponded to "M" and "U"? Well, I don't want to give it away freely here because it's solution methodology instead of just the solution, so I'll put another spoiler inside here for anyone curious about how you'd figure out la-mulanese script (I doubt you're reading this raocow but if you are, I recommend not reading this next part).

Solution Methodology:
As it turns out, La-Mulanese script is a 1:1 analogue with English letters. But once you realize that, how can you create a translation guide?

If you turn on and off the glyph reader while reading a tablet, you can see the untranslated glyphs and what letters they correspond to. You can then write them all down. I don't think the script has capital letters. But letters might not be the only important thing you can learn from doing this...

And that's that puzzle!
Crow

Post by Crow »

i mean even without the shell horn, the hole on the bottom opens up when you hit the wrong one. there's really no other punishment for screwing up, either. it's almost a puzzle designed to be brute-forced, which i'm pretty sure i did as well in my initial playthrough
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i mean even without the shell horn, the hole on the bottom opens up when you hit the wrong one. there's really no other punishment for screwing up, either. it's almost a puzzle designed to be brute-forced, which i'm pretty sure i did as well in my initial playthrough
probably is, considering it's how you get an ankh jewel

and from what i remember, the other puzzle( s? ) that require manual gylph translation don't hide away mandatory items, just very useful ones

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago words
oh my fucking god this is game of the year all years
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Draexzhan
Flair text

Post by Draexzhan »

FPzero wrote:
As it turns out, La-Mulanese script is a 1:1 analogue with English letters. But once you realize that, how can you create a translation guide?

If you turn on and off the glyph reader while reading a tablet, you can see the untranslated glyphs and what letters they correspond to. You can then write them all down. I don't think the script has capital letters. But letters might not be the only important thing you can learn from doing this...

And that's that puzzle!

I actually watched a streamer who not only translated "Mu" this way, but actually sat there and deciphered entire ancient La Mulanese tablets by finding the word "the" and then translating other words from there. It took him at least an hour to translate his first tablet, and it was absolutely hilarious and infuriating to see him do that.

Signature text.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Draexzhan wrote: 5 years ago
FPzero wrote:

And that's that puzzle!

I actually watched a streamer who not only translated "Mu" this way, but actually sat there and deciphered entire ancient La Mulanese tablets by finding the word "the" and then translating other words from there. It took him at least an hour to translate his first tablet, and it was absolutely hilarious and infuriating to see him do that.

I want to say something in regards to this but we are so far from the point where it is relevant.