(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - Wishmaster

Post by Awoo »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago I have had it with these Mother deity snakes in this Mother deity temple.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: La-Mulana - Wishbringer

Post by Zummorr »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago And I mean yeah. Whenever I'd get stuck I'd look at my notes and something or another would remind me of *something* to poke that. This plus seeing all my footage again in editing means things stayed fresh in my head zone for a bit. This playthrough would have been very different without that and the notes. Whenever I'd get stuck with nothing to do, I had ressources to refresh my memory.
Or you just hit every thing in the room, mash up and down on everything, do loops, buy weights from lil bro's shops despite having 70+, conveniently notice something on the map, have some random memory pop-up, or eddy in the comments section decides to spell it out for you.

Whatever works.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I think this ended up going a lot better than anyone expected thanks to voltgloss.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Good Night, Mother.

(there might be a bigger image coming, this was a quickie)
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

In the end, I think this might have been one of my favorite LPs of yours. I just love this game a ton, so getting to see you work your way through it was great. I'm really looking forward to when you do the sequel. I'll have to beat it by then so *I* won't be spoiled.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Idk about anyone else, but for me any thoughts of "hell will take forever" was not knowing how improved it is in the remake. It's just outright better in a ton of ways. Yeah there's some really awful parts, and then the 4 skull bit... but that didn't force you to complete the spike shaft more times beyond the "leave to go find the skulls. (though that shaft is worse in the remake) That shortcut to the bridge also made a huge portion of the place lose a lot of bite. And imagine never finding out about the shortcut from room 1 to room 10 or whatever on repeat runs. That would make original Hell not even have 1 checkpoint, let alone the 2 it has in remake. Least then you can reach the bridge, find that shortcut, and never do rooms 1-20 whatever again.

For as hellishly trolly it is still, it's way better imo and seems generally more fun.

Also no Gradius. It only took me like an hour but it broke me mentally, far more than spike shaft being needed a minimum of 3 times.

Also voltgloss being a reservoir of info and not forcing you to take notes forever is like, 90% of the solution for the game. I've been using pen and paper for original and for as long as it takes to write stuff down... being able to page through notes whenever I need is a huge help. Cutting out what may have been an hour or two total of pace breaking spread across every single time you found a tablet is a huge boon. You had him there willing to cut out some of the tedium, and overall make the experience flow way better
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Everybody say it with me: "SHHHHOOOOOOOOORRRNN!"
So rao, when you say 'review my notes', were you taking actual notes yourself, or did you mean Voltglass? You're making it look like he's the classroom nerd to your classroom jock. ;)

Last changes between versions
Mother: She was made much easier in the remake. The classic version had a lot more health, and I think subweapon immunity too. In addition, each phase was only vulnerable to a specific main weapon.
The 'space' phase was instead a water phase. No tentacle monster here, just Mother's eyes in the middle. And a bunch of fish to harrass you. You had to hit each eye in a very specific order with your Katana (or be zapped with Divine Retribution), which you only learn by some random tablet elsewhere.
Skeleton phase had Mother look like a skeletal version of the Virgin Mary. The skeleton baby didn't do anything then. Wasn't the baby supposed to be holding a scepter in the remake?
Anyways, there's a few more differences, especially the last phase's setup, but those are all the big ones.

Escape
Was just a cutscene. Would watch a quick montage of Lemeza going through the True Shrine, Corridor, Mausoleum, and finally Guidance Gate. Walking through enemies and not taking damage, while he's at it.
Meanwhile, had you not scared off Mulbruk, seeing her in her room at the end would have her say something like "Follow me, there's a secret exit behind me!"

Credits
I remember the blue miniboss that guarded the Feather on the Surface being there as well, filling that big gap in the back of the group. Maybe he's there if you 100%?
There was also a rom combo that woud palette swap everyone in this sequence. That was it's only purpose.

Also, someone earlier shared a screenshot of Mulbruk wearing the bikini in a closeup. If it doesn't show up after the credits, when do you see it ingame?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

done in through the most humiliating spike right after you said you were probably gonna die

amazing

So, uh...

Will the mystery game be Sonic Mania & Hatsune Miku Extend if I give you a shiny nickel?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

I'm sad raocow didn't fall victim to La-Mulana's "final trap".

If he'd tried to escape through the entrance, he would have been in for a very nasty surprise... it caved in.

I'm rather baffled how he knew to go to Mulbruk. She had dialogue about seeing her when La-Mulana would begin to crumble, but he never saw it. All he did see was a rather vague hint on a tablet.

Fun fact about the escape: There's a coin chest in the Twin Labyrinths that can only be accessed during the escape.

Anyways, good showing, raocow. Glad you're not going straight into LM2 after this because... heh... I still need to play that game.
Signature text.
AweStriker

Post by AweStriker »

For what it's worth the explanation for the elixir puzzle is:

All three spirits can shoot Lemeza, but the bunch of ones moving around don't actually hurt him, unlike those of the other two.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I remember the blue miniboss that guarded the Feather on the Surface being there as well, filling that big gap in the back of the group. Maybe he's there if you 100%?
Argus the Bargus appears if your completion time is under 20 hours.

During the ending, you will always see Lemeza, Xelpud, Mulbruk, the two male shopkeepers, the village woman with a bowl on her head and her child, and the Healing Fairy. And Shawn always shows up at the end. Lemeza wears the swimsuit if you beat Hell Temple. Mulbruk wears the swimsuit also if you spoke to her after beating Hell Temple and before defeating the Mother.

The other folks appearing in the ending will depend on whether you accomplished the following feats (listed in the spoiler block):
Feats raocow achieved:
- Philosopher Alsedana: Get all Sacred Orbs.
- Philosopher Samaranta: Completion time under 40 hours.
- Philosopher Fobos: Get the software Enga Musica.
- Tailor Dracuet: Beat Hell Temple.
- Weapon Fairy: Use all Fairy Points in the game. (I don't think the Hell Temple one is required. But you do need the one in the Shrine of the Mother before it transforms, as well as its counterpart after the Shrine transforms.)

Feats raocow did not achieve:
- Philosopher Giltoriyo: Get the software La-Mulana.
- Shopkeeper Nebur (the female shopkeeper): Get all maps. (Including Temple of the Sun.)
- Item Fairy: Find all hidden coin chests.
- Key Fairy: Unlock all secrets requiring a Key Fairy, not including those for unlocking and within Hell Temple. (There are 4 such secrets; raocow found 2.)
- Fairy Queen: Obtain all items. (raocow missed the Spaulder.)
- Argus: Completion time under 20 hours.
- Rusati (the mischievous spirit to which you chant BIRTH): Completion time under 10 hours.
- Gyonin (the fish guy running a shop in Spring in the Sky): Buy either the Shell Horn or Guild.exe from Gyonin. (So you need to skip getting either item earlier in the game.)
- Skeleton: Get all softwares. (raocow missed 2.)
- Sacrificial Maiden (from Eden): Get all of Xelpud's e-mails. (raocow missed at least one that you only get if you kill enough bats in the Gate of Guidance.)
- The Mother: Beat all guardians and the Mother on hard mode.
- Naramura: Speak to all three developers in their hidden rooms. (raocow found 0 of 3.)
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Also, someone earlier shared a screenshot of Mulbruk wearing the bikini in a closeup. If it doesn't show up after the credits, when do you see it ingame?
You mean the image with Lemeza and Shorn in the background also wearing the swimsuit (and Xelpud decidedly *not* wearing it)? That isn't in-game.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess that image is on their website, or similar.

So the last item raocow never got, the Spaulder, what did it do? Based on what you guys discussed earlier, it sounds like it adds damaging weapon trails. But some complained that reduced damage output overall, due to hitbox complications.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Anyways, the complete steps to unlocking Mother

1) Beat all 8 Guardians
2) Recite the Mantras
3) Obtain the Medicine of the Mind
4) Read all Grail tablets (except the one in the Shrine of the Mother, since it is overwritten by the True Shrine's tablet)
5) Have all 4 seals
6) Profit (with the Treasure of Life!)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
AweStriker

Post by AweStriker »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I guess that image is on their website, or similar.

So the last item raocow never got, the Spaulder, what did it do? Based on what you guys discussed earlier, it sounds like it adds damaging weapon trails. But some complained that reduced damage output overall, due to hitbox complications.
That's basically accurate. It makes your main weapons leave white-blue glowy light trails that nominally do extra damage but for Hitbox Reasons tend to make your damage output... less.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

This image has a height of 4400 pixels, and thus it will go under a spoiler tag to not blow up the thread.
THE END
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Wishmaster 2: Puppet Master 2

Post by Awoo »

This game is over?

Then Mulbruk going back to sleep... :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Eye'm kind of disappointed that the eyeball triskellion phase of Mother is so short, as this is clearly the best phase. I would have opt-ed for something more elaborate.
Implo

Post by Implo »

So that's the end of La-Mulana. It has really good graphic, but the best aspect of this game was music. It's really amazing. I never played this game and all my knowledge I take from raocow's LP. So for me it was really fun game mostly at the beginning and the end, and really depressing game in the middle.

There are some annoyances: annoying jumping physic, annoying knockback. I also felt like basic weapons have super short range. That means during battles with big bosses you need to be very precise to stand in correct spot. You can't be too far or you will not hit boss. You can't be too close or you will get hit. And boss can move, jump and attack, so you need to be extremely careful every time.

I felt that during the game were 2 kinds of puzzles: 1 area puzzle and exploration puzzle. 1 area puzzle means that hints for a puzzle are in the same area like a puzzle. And I would say it was the best part of La-Mulana.

And there are exploration puzzles. Hints explain what you need to do, but doesn't explain where you need to do that. If you don't remember any specific places, then you will be forced the explore the whole world. Example: using pepper on the face - you know what to do, but you don't where is the face. For me it felt like a really lame puzzle.

Another thing is that sometimes game is giving underwhelming rewards. After beating Arghus I thought that reward for that will be new ruin system or at least 1 new area. It was just 1 room with double jump. And while double jump is very useful, I was expecting more. But many times your reward for solving hard puzzle is 1 room with message that you need 1 more item. Where is this item? Somewhere in the world, so explore. That was really depressing.

Next are things that magically unlock or appear after doing something. Like after the bosses some passages opens, but there is no information about that. If you play blindly, you will probably get confused. And by the way, magically appearing stuff force player to explore the whole world even more.

The last thing isn't about game, but raocow. I'm talking about this LP not being completely blind. raocow figured out the story much faster and he figured out who is who faster than when he would play this game entirely blind. It was annoying. He also knew solution of some puzzles from the other LP and it was also annoying to watch. But on the other hand, I saw how figuring out the puzzles from middle game works. So maybe it was good idea that raocow watched playthrough of this game. It definitely reduced some portion of boring exploration of the world.

As for the final boss. To be honest, I am disappointed. I was expecting Mother to be huge monster bigger than a screen. I mean her tentacles in the Motherland are big, so she should be even bigger. But she was small, grotesque figure. And she gets even smaller in her final form. When I watched this form, I thought she's flying in the background and the whole thing is to just survive. It's really hard to spot that she gets hit. Damaging her makes while color hit and her color is white and also she doesn't turn red when hit. So it was very hard for me to notice that raocow is indeed hurting her.

Overall this game has some good parts. Don't get offended, but for me it felt like the most depressing raocow's LP ever created.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Implo wrote: 4 years ago As for the final boss. To be honest, I am disappointed. I was expecting Mother to be huge monster bigger than a screen. I mean her tentacles in the Motherland are big, so she should be even bigger. But she was small, grotesque figure. And she gets even smaller in her final form. When I watched this form, I thought she's flying in the background and the whole thing is to just survive. It's really hard to spot that she gets hit. Damaging her makes while color hit and her color is white and also she doesn't turn red when hit. So it was very hard for me to notice that raocow is indeed hurting her.

Overall this game has some good parts. Don't get offended, but for me it felt like the most depressing raocow's LP ever created.
The mother is the entirety of la mulana, that's why when you fail the medicine puzzle, she swallows you and poops you out at the entrance. She's ejecting you from her body. I'm pretty sure what you're fighting is more like her spirit.

And congrats raocow! You beat la mulana in a similar amount of time as me, I did it in 18(i probably said a different number earlier in the thread but that was me misremembering). I'm looking forward to your playthrough of la mulana 2, hopefully they'll have added the bonus dungeon to the game by then.(as of yet there isn't one, but they have expressed wanting to include one later on.
Nothing to see here
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

This lp was exactly as much of a train wreck as I was expecting and right around the length I've been predicting since people first started discussing length. raocow struggled with the parts I expected him to (the easy, simple, and blatantly obvious things that nobody should actually miss), breezed right through the parts that should have been difficult even though he frequently didn't understand things even afterwards (the wedges for example), and insisted on using the most suboptimal weapons possible for most of the lp even though that was the cause of like 75% of the damage he took during most of the lp.
sylvie
Pronouns: she/her

Post by sylvie »

I remember the katana being pretty good, so I was confused when people started complaining about raocow using it.

Maybe it's good in LM2 or the original version of LM1 and I'm getting my memories mixed up.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

it's by far the best midgame weapon in LM2

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

So is Tower of the Goddess the B-Side of Spring of the Sky? (Dumbest question asked but I wanted it to be cleared anyways)

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Gardenolva wrote: So is Tower of the Goddess the B-Side of Spring of the Sky? (Dumbest question asked but I wanted it to be cleared anyways)
You are correct, Tower of the Goddess is the back of the Spring in the Sky for the purposes of the mantra puzzle to break the seals. The Mantra tablet that corresponds to Bahamut is in the Tower. However it's the only front-side/back-side pair where the two fields are not connected directly by back-side doors at at least one point.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The closest those two areas get is the exit from the Spring to the Surface, and then the Backside Door entrance to the Tower a few screens away.

The map of both areas also look very similar.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica