(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - Coloratura

Post by Draexzhan »

Hell Temple was pretty much the only part of La-Mulana that I didn't experience blind. I had watched a friend play through it several years prior. By the time I got to it myself, I had forgotten about 80% of it, however I remembered both of these fists and how to get past them, at least after they both punched me once.
Signature text.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

I just made my first foray into the Original Hell Temple... and I don't remember it being that terrible. Land of Hell 3 could actually drop you back into Land of Hell 2, making you go even further back. But luckily the checkpoint between these two isn't that bad. Maybe LoHs 4 and 5 do that in the remake. I dunno!

That cover the door room... that used to be the required Gradius bootleg section. You had to get 120,000 points within the first level... and the only level, because the game "crashes" afterwards. To actually get that, you needed to progress up to the first checkpoint and die at least once, because on my best run, I only got less than 110,000. So I used my first two lives to grind up to the first checkpoint, die right before it triggered, and then used my final life to head to the end of the stage. This alone drained me of near all my will.

And when I say bootleg, I mean the jankiest garbage ever. The scrolling also works with tiles instead of smooth scrolling. So you could be a tile in front of an enemy one second, and then immediately inside the enemy and die the next. Took me an hour and a half to two hours of dedicated grinding to get it done.

As for the checkpoint + keyfairy room, used to be an additional puzzle that created the bridge instead. It was pretty uninteresting to exist aside from being a newb trap.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

FPzero wrote: 4 years ago You mention that it's probably going to require a Key Fairy at some point, why not see if a Key Fairy is the answer to the punch hand on the bridge?
that's what I'm planning on trying tomorrow actually!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Funnily enough, the bridge was actually changed between the original pc release, the wii vc release(which hell temple was dlc) and the steam pc release.
Last edited by repairmanman 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing to see here
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago
FPzero wrote: 4 years ago You mention that it's probably going to require a Key Fairy at some point, why not see if a Key Fairy is the answer to the punch hand on the bridge?
that's what I'm planning on trying tomorrow actually!
Nice! Hopefully you don't have to spend too much time fishing for a key fairy
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: 4 years ago And when I say bootleg, I mean the jankiest garbage ever. The scrolling also works with tiles instead of smooth scrolling. So you could be a tile in front of an enemy one second, and then immediately inside the enemy and die the next. Took me an hour and a half to two hours of dedicated grinding to get it done.
That scrolling is actually accurate to the MSX version of Gradius, called Nemesis. Search "nemesis MSX" and "la mulana PR3" if you want to compare. That said, La-Mulana's PR3 is MUCH, MUCH HARDER than Nemesis's stage 1. PR3 has far more complicated terrain, far more enemy spam, and far more aggressive enemy AI with lots of projectiles. There is much less safe space, you have to be moving quickly between a rock and a danmaku. For instance, the miniboss, instead of being two volcanoes that let you hang out at the ceiling, is a swarm of Metal Gears that jump between ceiling and floor. (The enemies are also a wacky Parodius-style mishmash of MSX references.) I'd say clearing PR3 at all is an achievement, let alone hitting the 120k points for Hell Temple.

Reminder that La-Mulana's strange movement physics heavily borrow from Maze of Galious. LM Classic is very faithful in recreating the programming of the MSX, glory and jank alike.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Contra ½

Post by Awoo »

Just looked up footage, oh man that looks janky as hell :partygator:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

maou shoujo wrote: 4 years ago That scrolling is actually accurate to the MSX version of Gradius,
The thought crossed my mind... but I tried to give it credit as his own bootleg. And oddly the miniboss was the easiest part, since due to the nature of getting a high-score you wanna have Famicom + 2 options, which absolutely melts the Metal Gears. Same for the boss too, but that had some dodging at least. And I don't think I ever died after the middle section... The hardest part was the beginning and trying to stock up options. Granted, I got hella lucky to not get hit at all but wow did most of my runs end before the midpoint.
Grounder

Re: La-Mulana - Narcolepsy

Post by Grounder »

Unsolicited suggestion within!
Maybe timestop your second journey down so you don't have to worry about the greenish monster as much?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

I feel like that jump at the very end of the room would maybe be easier by jumping off from the fake-spike platform and doubling back with the double jump? Can you even change direction like that?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Hell Temple is more of a Sisyphus-ian punishment, rather than an ultra spicy death palace filled with lava, lawyers, and cats.

Just as you are about to crest the hill pushing up a boulder your strength gives out, you choke, and the boulder pushes you back down to where you started. It's alot like climbing down a spiky chimney.

The grenade slimes are indeed the persona of Takumi Naramura the director of La mulana. I have some choice words from that fellow. But I will conserve them until the trails are over.

Regarding the confusion that happened where "Entering Hell Temple didn't enter Hell Temple!" Hypothesis:

Hell Temple will spit you out if you attempt to bring a fairy from the outside into Hell Temple.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So rao, how are you enjoying the punchline by the bridge? You keep coming back to it ;)

I think this wall cling section gave DC a near meltdown. Both old and new versions. If I remember correctly, I think this is the hardest part of Hell Temple. Only because I don't remember what comes after. So this spot must have stuck with me for some reason.

Remember that NIGORO is made up of 3 guys, so the slime monster represents only one of them. I don't know the avatars of the other two, but Xelpud's name is the mirrored version of one of the developers.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
moogy

Post by moogy »

While we're discussing the staff: the title La-Mulana is in fact just Naramura's name in reverse.

Na Ra Mu Ra → Ra Mu Ra Na → La-Mulana

When I first played the game I never realized just how heavily Naramura contributed to things... He's not only the director/game designer, but he wrote all of the text, composed half of the soundtrack, and drew every single graphical asset (including all promotional material, character designs, and such). Definitely a talented guy.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

At least land of hell 5 is inside 4, and not a shortcut back to 3?

At least the remake has improved controls all around. Original's wall clinging is just... the worst.

I'd say a guess of 3-4 more videos and raocow will have it. Though, even less if they're nice enough to give ANOTHER checkpoint.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

When I called that earlier part the "easy part" I wasn't kidding.

I'm not sure what the trigger is for that fist. I've only found one thing that consistently keeps it from appearing, and that's

tripping the trap door myself and jumping before I fall in.

Signature text.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

"Patate de merde, I hate the world." - raocow
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Hey welcome to where I quit hell temple! It's stupid bs.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The real La-Mulana starts now!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Hell Temple isn't actually the real La-mulana, thankfully
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

moogy wrote: While we're discussing the staff: the title La-Mulana is in fact just Naramura's name in reverse.

Na Ra Mu Ra → Ra Mu Ra Na → La-Mulana
And to round things out: while developer Naramura's name is syllable-reversed to make La-Mulana, and developer "duplex" is Xelpud's name in reverse, the third developer's name is Samieru.

Sa Mie Ru -> Ru Mie Sa -> Lemeza

(and Lumisa)

Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

I like how raocow tries to get pass through the spike parts but he needs to take advantage of the Caltrops which he needs to purposely damage himself in order to maneuver better.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Ivy wrote: 4 years ago I feel like that jump at the very end of the room would maybe be easier by jumping off from the fake-spike platform and doubling back with the double jump? Can you even change direction like that?
Echoing this suggestion because this seems much more reasonable as an answer than what looks like a nearly pixel-perfect walljump.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

It might be the intended solution, since why else would those spikes there be intangible?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

This is the single worst room in the game by a long shot. Hell Temple has a few rooms that are kind of obnoxious and infuriating to deal with but none of them come close to this garbage heap.
Cyril wrote: 4 years agoHell Temple isn't actually the real La-mulana, thankfully

Nope, it's an early access preview of Eg-Lana where it's no longer optional but explicitly required to beat the game. And this bullshit room is somehow worse.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That's hilarious, in a morbid way.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica