(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana - Balances

Post by Crow »

now to never use this reward because you're too much of an anime nerd addicted to katana swinging :rao:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

You are a true wise man. Go forth and challenge Hell with the blessing of the goddess in hand.

Weapons Obtained

Flail Whip - The strongest of all weapons. Does a massive 8 damage per hit. for comparison, the Axe and Katana do only 5. The Chain Whip does only 4, so it is half as strong as this one.
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

This totally makes up for bruteforcing the mantras. Impressive job doing this first try, no joke
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Pouring over notes for 30 minutes and finally managing to puzzle out the solution is the true La-Mulana experience. Don't feel bad about having a weird video where not much happens because that's just how it goes sometimes! La-Mulana is supposed to make you think and move slowly, which runs counter to an episodic Let's Play, sure, but that's just the nature of the beast. If not for your own VoltGlossary, these sorts of slower paced videos probably would've been more commonplace. Ask me about stumbling around trying to find solutions to puzzles in LM2 and streaming it at the same time. I haven't even beaten the game and I have over 30 hours of recorded footage!

The fun of LM to me is taking physical notes, recording things in your reader, and then slowly putting two and two together, trying crazy solutions and sometimes just seeing if things will work. I'm so glad I got to experience the sequel blind with friends. Really gotta go back and finish it one of these days.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

I didn't realize the remake added a little person to the one tablet. Wow that skips like, 3 steps of the process of solving this thing of needing to realize you need Lameza's weight. Though, it also helps that there were the 3 odds and impossible to solve

Fun fact about that: in the original Lameza's weight it: (Bass Clef X 2)

Bass clef is the sign for 0, X is still a 6, and 2 is... 2. Since the Giants' symbol is very ironically, or very on purpose, a 2. So somewhere along the way to the remake, Lameza changed some of his meals and had some weight loss.

As for the stones it helps they always come in order of weight. Original was just way more clear on the colors though.

Also, shoulda been 10 episodes slower raocow! Then his weight would be the episode.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Clyceer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Clyceer »

During the video I was worried that the numbers on the tablet raocow chose were going to look completely different from the scale's numbers because it was one of the ones that initially couldn't be read due to being in La-Mulanese (or Ancient La-Mulanese or something?). I guess that turned out to be a non-issue.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So I wanted to write this up when I got home, but this LP looming over the horizon made me pick up my old save from 2015 to see if I could at least beat the game before raocow started. I left off right about where you'd need to knock down the pillar in Birth Chamber.

This also means I was right behind being able to do this puzzle, and having solved it legitimately, I could not have done it without the experience making massive amount of gifs and custom images for the talkhaus, which I will explain below in case anyone wants another approach on how on earth this could be solved by taking up such a strange hobby.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are many, many ways to figure out the solution for this puzzle, and as far as I know, most people who do it legit do it differently in some way.

When I first came to the puzzle, I didn't even have the ability to read the ancient text. All I had were these big scales that I knew I had to balance, but didn't know what to do except balance them. I immediately noticed that Lemeza could affect the scales, and proceeded to try things like tossing bombs and buying more weights to see if they affected anything. Since I had no proper numbers for weights, I decided to just... measure the number of pixels the scales went down by, using my sprite-editing experience to do it along with Steam screenshots.

Alas, this did not work, even when I got a solution that perfectly lined up in terms of pixels. So I shelved the puzzle for later.

I then got the ability to read ancient text and found the Extinction/Moonlight tablets, which told me just about everything I needed to know. I also found the scale again (I did not remember what area it was in.), and took a quick screencap of that. Feeling more confident, I went back to the scales.

I very quickly figured out that just from the pixel measurements I took and some of the lesser tablets that say which gem is which emotion, the listing of the gem weights on the Moonlight tablet more or less matched up with the order the gems came out in... which was strangely convenient. I just didn't know Lemeza's weight at this point.

However, pixel measurements of just Lemeza on the scale told me that he has to be somewhere in the middle range of gems, which means I could rule him out being anything less than maybe 30, and above 70 or so.

Now what made this very different for me is that unlike raocow, I did NOT piece together that the ancient language is just regular La-Mulanese backwards, and that I could remove the glyph reader to see the original text. However, here is where my picture-making skills came in handy again.

I noticed that the Moonlight tablet has every number from 0-9 on it, so I ran back to the tablet and quickly took a screenshot on the frame it opened, allowing me to see the untranslated text before the software scrolled over it to translate it. Using Paint.net, I then overlaid it on top of the translated tablet with transparency, and got this:

It's not perfect and required a lot of squinting at pixels, but all the images I had made up to this point trained me for exactly this.

Now because I didn't have any idea that I was supposed to flip the text since this was an ancient tablet, I just looked what was roughly closest to the numbers. Since 6 looks like a weird % sign, it sort of looks the same no matter what and I (correctly) assumed that that was the first digit. My second digit guess came up to be... 5. This made sense to me, because the second number HAD to be odd, to properly balance the weights. Doing this actually gave me a solution that worked.

...and then nothing proceeded to happen.

I went back to the image, and guessed that maybe the second digit was a 1, out of the remaining odd numbers. Through sheer deduction and looking at exact pixels, I finally arrived at the answer, and the Flail Whip was mine.

So thank you, everyone that encouraged me to keep making silly images. The 2015 me would not have been able to solve this on their own with the skillset that they had.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: La-Mulana - Starcross

Post by Zummorr »

Ivy wrote: 4 years ago
Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Take the golden key in hand.
Challenge Palenque.

Nobody acknowledged this when it was posted so I'm gonna quote it now
Zummorr wrote: 4 years ago
Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Take the golden key in hand.
Challenge Palenque.
Oh nice, La-MuMega.
DT4 is looking really good.
Way to not acknowledge my acknowledgement.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Huh, I didn't know the ancient text was just mirrored La-Mulanese. Very clever raocow!
But yeah, thank God for Voltgloss for taking a screenshot of the weight machine in the Mausoleum. I was worried at the time raocow didn't even realize what that thing was.

While reading the tablets untranslated is one way of learning the La-Mulana #s, I believe the easier was is to look at those symbols at the entrance to every Field in the game, as those #s have been there the whole.
I was kinda also hopibg raocow would have finally clued in when he recited the 1st mantra, and scanned the wedge that appeared. It told him that symbol was 8!

The game expects you to figure out the La-Mulana #s by the time you reach that gate puzzle in the Endless Corridor (which rao brute forced).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So raocow, why do you want to do Hell Temple before Mother? Watching Deceased Crab's playthroughs, it very much looks like they designed it to be an uber difficult post-game area.

The only reason it's accessible now is because the game doesn't save when you defeat Mother (you can fight her over and over again)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ookalf

Post by Ookalf »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So raocow, why do you want to do Hell Temple before Mother? Watching Deceased Crab's playthroughs, it very much looks like they designed it to be an uber difficult post-game area.

The only reason it's accessible now is because the game doesn't save when you defeat Mother (you can fight her over and over again)
He said just last episode that he's aware it's post-game difficulty, and that he's doing it first because he wants to end the series with the actual end of the game.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago So raocow, why do you want to do Hell Temple before Mother? Watching Deceased Crab's playthroughs, it very much looks like they designed it to be an uber difficult post-game area.
I think he just wants the final boss to properly be the final boss. Any rewards from it would also go unused if he did it last.

I know that the reward is probably a net negative. That's for him to suffer.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I agree with what's in the spoiler. Unfortunately we the viewer will have to suffer, too.

Final boss fight is gonna be... inappropriate

That said, raise your hand if you don't know what "The treasure that should not be seen" is. I'm curious how many here don't know, since I believe it's almost on the same level as "Darth Vader is Luke's father". Isn't DC's reaction kinda infamous in the LP community?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Oh I think this is perfect! I can't wait for him to get the reward, and then fight Mother with it.

Plus, Mother is a much better last boss than Naramura. Naramura is definitely the easiest boss in the game except for maaaaybe Amphisbaena.

It's just a shame that raocow found the Fairy clothes.

Signature text.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey rao, remember that 8-bit Xelpud told you there is a secret in the Gate of Time.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Balances and Czechs

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago I agree with what's in the spoiler. Unfortunately we the viewer will have to suffer, too.

Final boss fight is gonna be... inappropriate

That said, raise your hand if you don't know what "The treasure that should not be seen" is. I'm curious how many here don't know, since I believe it's almost on the same level as "Darth Vader is Luke's father". Isn't DC's reaction kinda infamous in the LP community?
I know what it is, and am very much looking forward to it/raocow's reaction nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AweStriker

Post by AweStriker »

There's one tablet that's likely more helpful when it comes to learning the numbers, since it has all of them.
The 1st child had the body of a snake.
The 2nd child, a large body.
The 3rd child soared through the sky.
The 4th child had the body of a fish.
The 5th child had wisdom.
The 6th child was born of the earth.
The 7th child cast the Mother away.
The 8th child did not know the Mother.
Let us place the spirit of the 9th child into the body of child 0.
Furthermore, it's a non-reversed tablet so the numbers look the same on this tablet as on the weight machine.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana - To Hell in a Hamper

Post by Crow »

remember:

you did this to yourself
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Hell Temple is Hell.png
Hell Temple is Hell.png (578.12 KiB) Viewed 3812 times
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Git yer popcorn here!

The devs hold nothing back in Hell Temple. Looking forward to this mess!
Signature text.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

The first hint is VERY cryptic but makes a lot of sense. Outside is where you used your first seal from the Spring, to get the 2nd, which was Birth. That house there is a guy who is already dead, a skeleton. The depths of him

I don't recall what the little box things to open the way to Palenque are called in the remake's tablets, but in the original they were called "crosses." Which makes his empty mural being called a "coffin" a lot of sense. Plus there's the resident irl lore expert who said that Palenque's mural was actually a coffin lid being viewed from the side, but I don't think the manual even mentions that...
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: 4 years ago I don't recall what the little box things to open the way to Palenque are called in the remake's tablets, but in the original they were called "crosses." Which makes his empty mural being called a "coffin" a lot of sense. Plus there's the resident irl lore expert who said that Palenque's mural was actually a coffin lid being viewed from the side, but I don't think the manual even mentions that...
If you scan Palenque's mural before defeating him (which raocow did), you get this entry:
- [Archaeology Dictionary: Palenque] Ruins of the Mayan civilization of Mexico. Resembles the relief on the Palenquen king's coffin.

The map also calls that room "Palenque's Coffin."
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

I change this sig every year for Advent
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think the next episode should be titled "cave story" since that game has a place with a sign saying this
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Has convenient information pointed out to him regarding fairies. Acknowledges the convenient information regarding fairies. Continues to use old inconvenient methods anyways.