(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: La-Mulana - Spellbreaker

Post by Ditocoaf »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago
I propose we tell raocow he does not have all the hints to solve the scales.

I really want him to have an honest shot at it tomorrow,
If he fails it, it's not the end of the world. If he decides to reload, or not, that's his choice!

The possibility of complete failure is more interesting, and a more honest look at this game. We're here to watch La Mulana, and real La Mulana includes the chance of missing that puzzle.

And if he has a crazy aha moment, and makes the connection of "wait isn't there something else with weight" without any nudging from us, then it'll be an amazing and memorable moment. I want to leave that possibility open, too.

Both those extremes are a part of the possibility space of a videogame like this, which I think is great. I don't want to narrow that range.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago Apparently, Enuma Elish describes Tiamat as having an udder, like a cow. Could be a clunky translation, but I find this hilarious for some reason.
I can see that Nigoro chose to translate this... generously. :sandwich:
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago
I propose we tell raocow he does not have all the hints to solve the scales.

I really want him to have an honest shot at it tomorrow,
But he DOES have all the hints. He weighed himself already, and a screenshot of that is in the notes. (And, amusingly, his video thumbnails.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I don't think he figured out the # system though...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

It's very possible for him to figure it out. Give him a chance. I didn't math it out, but I am assuming the weights still can be balanced without Lameza. When he inevitably sees he can affect the scale and that there is very clearly a Lameza shaped hole in the supposedly balanced 4/3 sides, he'll put things together, and maybe even that the thing tells you his weight.

Give him a chance before you spoil the answer to a really cool puzzle.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: 4 years ago
It's very possible for him to figure it out. Give him a chance. I didn't math it out, but I am assuming the weights still can be balanced without Lameza. When he inevitably sees he can affect the scale and that there is very clearly a Lameza shaped hole in the supposedly balanced 4/3 sides, he'll put things together, and maybe even that the thing tells you his weight.

Give him a chance before you spoil the answer to a really cool puzzle.
I agree with giving raocow a chance, but the weights cannot be balanced without Lemeza. Of the 7 non-Lemeza weights, three are odd (63, 81, 99) and four are even (20, 44, 50, 70), so you'll always end up with one odd side of the scale and one even side of the scale. That said, that fact itself seems like it would be a pretty good clue that some other source of weight is needed.
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Clyceer wrote: 4 years ago
I agree with giving raocow a chance, but the weights cannot be balanced without Lemeza. Of the 7 non-Lemeza weights, three are odd (63, 81, 99) and four are even (20, 44, 50, 70), so you'll always end up with one odd side of the scale and one even side of the scale. That said, that fact itself seems like it would be a pretty good clue that some other source of weight is needed.
That's what I mean though, the empty slot is the clue Lameza is also a colored soul. In the original at least, you COULD perfectly balance the scale with just the 7 stones... but it wouldn't actually be balanced. Even though the math works out to be balanced like a real scale would be, it forces it off balance because Lameza wasn't used. So even with the weights, you solve the puzzle and it fails... so you start jumping around and realize "oh wait, I affect the scale" then it becomes a guessing game of Lameza's weight, til you think about that weird machine in MotG.

That's how things went for me when I did it in the original. They changed it here so it's more obvious it's impossible to balance without Lameza, with 3 odds.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana - Suspended

Post by Crow »

Poll:

1. raocow will actually attempt to figure out where to drive the wedges
2. raocow will brute force it completely

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Don't worry raocow, nuwa doesn't have nipples

she jiggles far enough that they would show if she did.

man that was a weird thing to type out

even weirder, after closely checking, it turns out that she does in fact have nipples.

they're a darker blue...

it was for science
Nothing to see here
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Oh no, raocow actually plans to do Hell Temple.

Are there any hints in the game that tell you where to start looking for Hell Temple? Because I only found the first place to look after a friend told me to start looking in the Gate of Guidance, and even then, I more or less found it by accident.

Signature text.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Draexzhan wrote: 4 years ago Oh no, raocow actually plans to do Hell Temple.

Are there any hints in the game that tell you where to start looking for Hell Temple? Because I only found the first place to look after a friend told me to start looking in the Gate of Guidance, and even then, I more or less found it by accident.

yes,

talk to mulbruk enough, which is fitting, come to think of it

Nothing to see here
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

Congrats raocow, you, as of this episode, just found the gun's location.

Yes, original La-mulana would have kept it from you til now. You never use it but... yeah! That's just how late the game expects you to find it, and is only amazingly useful if you only killed Elmac, Viy and Palenque and not much else since you need to: Beat Elmac for the mirror, beat Viy(?) to unlock Tower of the Goddess, and then kill Palenque to open Chamber of Birth's door into the front half where the robots were. And that's the best case scenario. But you've already killed the arguably two worst bosses by this point.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh no, not Hell Temple. Cat's out of the bag now...

Are you sure you want to do that?
-Remember your struggle to get the last Life Jewel? Hell Temple has more of that.
-Remember Nitroid's post-game world? I fear Hell Temple will be a repeat of that.
-Remember Deceased Crab's reaction to the end? He knew what the 'prize' was ahead of time, and it still broke him. There is a reason it's called "The Treasure Which Must Not Be Seen".
And in the remake, they added in Hell Temple a few more punchlines leading up to it.

As for the convoluted process in unlocking it, if you screw up 3/4 of the way through, you can permanently lock yourself out of Hell Temple (a blessing in disguise, really). I hope they didn't fix that in the remake.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

He'll be fiiiiine. Hell Temple is bad but it's certainly not anything raocow can't handle.

Hell, I managed to do it and I was arguably worse equipped for it than he is now. I also didn't have a Voltgloss or raocow's general platforming skill level.
Last edited by Draexzhan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Signature text.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Not repeating this
How about you let him decide for himself? Something he already did btw...

And consider that even if raocow knows the spoilers, there might be people in the threads that only know what raocow's showed them.

plus you admit to never having gotten past the sixth guardian, how would you know how hard hell temple is? I'm not exactly middling skill, and I did it. I'm sure raocow can do it too.

Nothing to see here
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: 4 years ago Congrats raocow, you, as of this episode, just found the gun's location.

Yes, original La-mulana would have kept it from you til now. You never use it but... yeah! That's just how late the game expects you to find it, and is only amazingly useful if you only killed Elmac, Viy and Palenque and not much else since you need to: Beat Elmac for the mirror, beat Viy(?) to unlock Tower of the Goddess, and then kill Palenque to open Chamber of Birth's door into the front half where the robots were. And that's the best case scenario. But you've already killed the arguably two worst bosses by this point.
Another thing is that in Classic, Sakit and Tiamat are hard immune to all subweapons. It's not even a factor of their movement patterns, they flat out *dink* like hitting a breakable wall with the wrong weapon. You have to kill Ellmac, Bahamut, Viy, and Palenque to reach that hidden passage on the surface, and then Sakit and Tiamat are immune, meaning that the only bosses you can use the gun on are Amphisbaena and Baphomet. Baphomet's hitbox is in an awkward spot for the gun, and is much more easily cheesed with spears. Amphisbaena is so weak that it dies in a SINGLE HIT from the gun.

Of course you could be using the gun on problem minibosses, but again there aren't many minibosses left. BUT, there's something more important to use the gun for! See, Classic also has FAR more weapon-specific walls than Remake. Remake has weapon-specific walls for bombs or the katana, but Classic has walls for pretty much everything, including the gun. Nuwa maybe have been a troublesome miniboss, but why would you burn ammo on her when there are walls that require you to dump an entire clip for a ROM?

So that's what the gun turns into in Classic. Instead of being an ultimate weapon, it's an extremely expensive chore for rooting out the last few collectables. Remake's gun feels so much better. It's still ultra-expensive to reload, but by making it available early and not requiring it for collectables, you at least get to experience having a limited superweapon.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - You are both suspended

Post by Awoo »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago Poll:

1. raocow will actually attempt to figure out where to drive the wedges
2. raocow will brute force it completely

3. raocow stumbles upon the solution by happen-stance while trying to do something completely different

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

maou shoujo wrote: 4 years ago but why would you burn ammo on her when there are walls that require you to dump an entire clip for a ROM?
Oh, Bahamut was required to get this far too? EVEN BETTER!

As for the ROMs, there's no point unless you're going for true 100%. Unless I'm remembering wrong, none of the good ROM combos are post-gun. But going over the list I'm pretty sure I have em all that are worth using. I'm sure original Hell Temple used a gun wall at least, or was required along the way. idk though since I'm only 6/8 still and haven't started the search as a result so you probably will quickly correct me.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

The wind sure is howling today.

"LA-MULANA" (theme for the Surface after defeating all Guardians - and the Title Screen)

maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Lostsoldier20 wrote: 4 years ago Oh, Bahamut was required to get this far too? EVEN BETTER!

As for the ROMs, there's no point unless you're going for true 100%. Unless I'm remembering wrong, none of the good ROM combos are post-gun. But going over the list I'm pretty sure I have em all that are worth using. I'm sure original Hell Temple used a gun wall at least, or was required along the way. idk though since I'm only 6/8 still and haven't started the search as a result so you probably will quickly correct me.
Yep. Bahamut is required to open the door that leads to Viy, and Viy is required to open the door that leads to Tower of the Goddess. Remake shifts priorities a bit, but Viy and thus Bahamut are still required to access the tunnel at the surface.

Specifically, the Gate of Time has a secret exit with different destinations in Classic vs Remake. In Classic the Gate of Time is a direct recreation of Maze of Galious for the MSX, and the first part of its hub area and World 1. There's a secret exit right at the start that teleports you to Shiva's Crucifix, the Chamber of Extinction area under Viy. Shiva's Crucifix is necessary to fight Palenque, who opens the door in Chamber of Birth. In Remake it's of course a recreation of Classic; the right side of the Mausoleum that should lead to Twin Labs is instead a breakable floor with secret exit to Tower of the Goddess. Note that in both versions Viy blocks access to Shiva's Crucifix and Tower of the Goddess -- the Gate of Time gives you access to one or the other, but not both, so Viy and Bahamut remain necessary for progress in both versions. It's progression logic! The kind of thing that randomizer teaches us.

As for Hell Temple,

the gun is not required for access to it. I'm not sure about actually completing it, it's been a LONG time since I played Classic's Hell Temple.

occasional watcher of the lets plays
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

repairmanman wrote: 4 years ago your words
I know there's no changing his mind. But I can still protest once.
I don't doubt raocow will be able to beat it... eventually. But there is a reason I brought up Nitroid. The LP for that game was almost a 50/50 split of the normal game and post game. It went on for a while.

I'm not suggesting the same thing could happen here, but I predict raocow will be fighting Mother by episode 53, and Hell Temple by itself is gonna take maybe 20 episodes by itself.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
As to your question in the spoiler (why spoiler?), I did mention I've watched parts of DC's 3 LPs.
As for how far I've gotten, I think raocow has finally reached the limit of my personal play experience. I remember reaching that white pyramid, but not fighting Nuwa. My other limits was wandering around Chamber of Birth, and finally stopping at the entrance of Dimensional Corridor. 5 of 8 Guardians destroyed.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Nüwa (Nü3 wa1) is a creator goddess from Chinese Myth.
In one story she creates man from clay. The people fashioned by her hands become nobles. The people that she mass produced by dragging string through the clay became commoners.
In an alternate story, she gives birth to a meatball. (The father is her husband/brother.) The meatball is cut up, and the bits become the first humans.
Latter, the pillars holding up the sky collapse. Nüwa fixes the sky by cutting the legs off of a very large turtle and using them as replacement pillars.

Maybe the object she holds in La-Mulana is an angle ruler.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Suspended Animation

Post by Awoo »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago Maybe the object she holds in La-Mulana is an angle ruler.
So, the Angle of Death? nyoro~n

i'll show myself out now thank you very much :3

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It looked like a bendy straw to me.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica