(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana - Not Just An Ordinary Ballerina

Post by Crow »

LM randomizer has some wonderful QoL changes I incredibly appreciate
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: La-Mulana - Starcross

Post by Validon98 »

So THAT'S what that chest right before Palenque is for. I never knew that, I thought that was like, some sort of chest that Shorn somehow looted and you never got anything from, but nope, it's just to pick the ankh jewel back up if you don't activate the plane with the pochette key. Huh.

Pretty sure that the moment raocow stumbles back onto that one untranslated tablet then the thing he was doing at the start will unravel itself pretty quickly.

Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Well, I was correct that raocow will fight a boss today, but was completely wrong on which boss.
raocow wrote:That's why you can buy the Ankh Jewel, so you can re-buy it. That makes perfect sense.
That is sound logic, but wrong.
The Ankh Jewel reappeared in that empty chest, in that room right next to the boss. So you didn't have to reload your game the first time. It's okay, I didn't see it the first time either.

What wow, what a boss fight. I have never seen Palenque, so I had to use my imagination on what he looked like, based on what I read and heard.
Because of that, I do not know the changes they made to this boss. All I know is that the Kamikaze attack is in the original as well.

I wonder how many shuriken you would need to win...
I also wonder if Tiamat is next tomorrow. Place your bets on the back-to-back Gaurdian smackdown!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Filbi
A Hobbit

Post by Filbi »

-notices that only using the katana causes him problems

-switches to the chain whip for a minute

-immediately goes back to the katana

oh raocow, never change

---

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that "wolf head"

actually an insignia for the Dragon Skull

?
I change this sig every year for Advent
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

maou shoujo wrote: 4 years agoHonestly I hated Classic's version of this puzzle even more for the hard requirement of time stopping the block in midair. The lamp auto-recharged yes, but every time you missed it was a couple minutes' wait with no indication when it was ready again. Remake lets you save at grail tablets, so if you mess up it's faster to just reload and go back up there. Furthermore Remake retains the falling object with the pot, but now there's a floor underneath it and you can just damage boost to get on it.
There was an indicator, just nothing that told you the time had elapsed. If you screwed up, killed the boss, then saved, you were out of luck and forced to damage boost. A refreshing timestop made you at least not have to repeat the damage boost, which took me twice as long to achieve a single time, versus several timestop attempts. And while the safety floor is very nice, the pot falls way faster than the block does, and has a tighter window to do the timestop intended solution. That safety platform removes one of the two "blocks" of time you have to stop the block and be able to use it.

The quicksaves are just a general feature that's outright better. If the original had quicksaves, all the remake would have is the safety spikes
that... ironically make the intended solution harder.
Filby wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that "wolf head"

?
I think so... which is way less of an interesting puzzle than the original which was...

A two tablet solution. One that is just a picture saying there is a door to the left, where what look to be 3 flashlight objects are pointing at a wall. Another, has a riddle.

Make praise, the bright sun shines into day,
dark moon will then vanish.
Push from the Celestial Wall forever.

In this same room is the "flashlights" and below it is a little pedestal thing that you can put a weight into. It has a sun on it, which then turns to a moon when weighted. You then have to just, push your way through the wall. It's an actual puzzle instead of... use a dragon skull?

I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Xelpud is probably stuck fighting a boss with two swords egh? Probably this guy.
Capra Demon contained inside.
I'm pretty sure everyone is yelling at raocow regarding the ankh jewel's location, which was captured in video. Screenshot from today's video where the ankh jewel reappears if you lose it while fumbling in your airplane.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

I really wish raocow would

grind out key fairys and get either the spaulder or the fairy clothes, but I don't think he'll know to bring it to the spaulder and i doubt he realizes the qol he'd get from the fairy clothes. Maybe get the scriptures? But i don't think he's going back to moonland any time soon.

Editorcow will notice the ankh gem for sure. And we ended on a happy note, so that's cool.

Ahahahaha, just looked through the dev rooms

one of the devs talked about la mulana 2 and getting it on vita. That's an oof if ever i saw one

Nothing to see here
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So is it me or does Guardian #6 look way easier to do than it's neighbors?

Had I known raocow was that close to fight Palenque, I would have dropped this 'advice': "Hey raocow! Don't throw yourself at the next boss like a kamikaze pilot!"
I was saving that since Baphomet.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

repairmanman wrote: 4 years ago I really wish raocow would

grind out key fairys and get either the spaulder or the fairy clothes, but I don't think he'll know to bring it to the spaulder and i doubt he realizes the qol he'd get from the fairy clothes. Maybe get the scriptures? But i don't think he's going back to moonland any time soon.

I actually hope he doesn't find the Spaulder, it's actively a detriment to have. The damage trial does much less damage than your actual weapon and the way the frames for it work means it'll hit way more often than your actual weapon, so it ends up just making things worse.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

And today, another Guardian's boss track! The Palenque battle is fast and furious, with music to match. It's exactly as raocow described: either you kill him quickly, or he kills you quickly. I'm super happy raocow didn't remember this fight from the past LP's he's seen, so he could experience and enjoy it in all of its crazy glory.

"Ancient Machine" (Palenque's theme)

Sebby19 wrote: What wow, what a boss fight. I have never seen Palenque, so I had to use my imagination on what he looked like, based on what I read and heard.
Because of that, I do not know the changes they made to this boss. All I know is that the Kamikaze attack is in the original as well.

I wonder how many shuriken you would need to win...
If you mean Palenque's self-destruct attack at the end, that was not in the original. It was added for the remake.

With the Ring, it takes 40 Shuriken hits to defeat Palenque (50 on Hard mode). The Chakram does six times as much damage per hit as a single Shuriken, and was hitting Palenque twice per throw.

Filby wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that "wolf head"

?
Lostsoldier20 wrote:I think so... which is way less of an interesting puzzle than the original which was...
Filby's guess is reasonable, but not the solution.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh, I was wrong about the Kamikaze attack.

I guess I'll just have to watch a video of the original fight.
I did watch some of Deceased Crab's fight with original Tiamat, if briefly, so I know what she's all about there. But I heard they made her easier in the remake (though still the toughest of the 8).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Take the golden key in hand.
Challenge Palenque.

FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

FPzero wrote: 4 years ago*forehead slapping emote*

Well I would say we're going to be here a while in that case, but he's been surprisingly good at proving me wrong in the past whenever I started to think that way so maybe we'll get lucky.
Well, like I said, he has a way of proving me wrong. Congratulations on solving all the puzzles to access and beat Palenque.

If I remember right, in the original fight there were fast moving vertical walls that showed up. If you ran into any of them, you died instantly. All I know is that Palenque can be a much harder fight than Tiamat if you're not careful, and I'd sometimes leave him for last. Good idea to use the Chakrams. Flares and Spears also work well because you can get above and below him pretty easily, but angling the chakrams correctly will melt him like we saw.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

today, raocow does the thing we were screaming at him to do and figures out why we were screaming at him about it

also demonstrates the almighty power of the chakram
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - MACROSS 82-99

Post by Awoo »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago today, raocow does the thing we were screaming at him to do and figures out why we were screaming at him about it

also demonstrates the almighty power of the chakram
No wonder Xena used to use it all the time

i miss this show

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

FPzero wrote: 4 years ago If I remember right, in the original fight there were fast moving vertical walls that showed up. If you ran into any of them, you died instantly
No, they just do about 32 damage. Palenque himself does at least 100 per touch. The pillars were there in this remake too... just far less common.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

This boss is ridiculous and I love it.
The real life history tied to the boss is ridiculous too.
K'inich Janaab' Pakal (The First) was the ruler of of the Mayan city state of Palenque, where the boss gets his name, from 615 to 683. The boss is based on the engraving on the lid of Pakal's sarcophagus.
The engraving shows Pakal being reborn into the next life under the World tree, as the stars and previous rulers look on.
Pakal is reborn.png
Pakal is reborn.png (99.99 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
But if you flip it sideways, it looks like Pakal is flying through space on his sweet hover bike.
Pakal makes the Martians eat his exhaust.png
Pakal makes the Martians eat his exhaust.png (109.89 KiB) Viewed 4051 times
This led to all sorts of theories that the ancient Mayans had contact with aliens.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Starcrossed Lovers

Post by Awoo »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago This boss is ridiculous and I love it.
The real life history tied to the boss is ridiculous too.
K'inich Janaab' Pakal (The First) was the ruler of of the Mayan city state of Palenque, where the boss gets his name, from 615 to 683. The boss is based on the engraving on the lid of Pakal's sarcophagus.
The engraving shows Pakal being reborn into the next life under the World tree, as the stars and previous rulers look on.
Pakal is reborn.png
But if you flip it sideways, it looks like Pakal is flying through space on his sweet hover bike.
Pakal makes the Martians eat his exhaust.png
This led to all sorts of theories that the ancient Mayans had contact with aliens.
That is *amazing*! I nearly coughed up a lung laughing at the idea of the sweet hover bike
:rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Even if you're using melee weapons on Palenque, it's still a quick kill or be quick killed fight. You can hit him without entering the drain zone by using the katana from above or the axe from below, and you can easily get right up in his face and slash repeatedly. Just beware of getting rammed or headbutted.

Speaking of quick kills, the need to use the pochette key to start the plane was a change in Remake to nerf true quick kills. In Classic, you could attack Palenque during his spawning animation and chump him with subweapon spam. (Subweapon spam chumps nearly every boss in Classic, but Palenque and Baphomet were the worst hit by it. Hence, those two have deliberate changes to make it harder to quick kill them.)
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Take the golden key in hand.
Challenge Palenque.
Oh nice, La-MuMega.
DT4 is looking really good.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

maou shoujo wrote: 4 years agoEven if you're using melee weapons on Palenque, it's still a quick kill or be quick killed fight. You can hit him without entering the drain zone by using the katana from above or the axe from below, and you can easily get right up in his face and slash repeatedly. Just beware of getting rammed or headbutted.
I've always just gotten right up in his face and spammed the chain whip and chakram. Takes him down in seconds and even if he hits you, you're likely to only take 2-3 hits at the very most.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago
repairmanman wrote: 4 years ago I really wish raocow would

I actually hope he doesn't find the Spaulder, it's actively a detriment to have. The damage trial does much less damage than your actual weapon and the way the frames for it work means it'll hit way more often than your actual weapon, so it ends up just making things worse.

Pretty sure you're just flat out wrong

but i'll tell you what, i'll go through the boss rush with and without the spaulder and see what goes faster

Holy crap you were right.
Nothing to see here
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago "Ancient Machine" (Palenque's theme)

Ancient Machine (SC88)

The joke is you won't get to hear the full song before you/palenque dies.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong

Post by Validon98 »

repairmanman wrote: 4 years ago

but i'll tell you what, i'll go through the boss rush with and without the spaulder and see what goes faster

Holy crap you were right.

There is a reason why the La Mulana randomizer explicitly has an option to remove the Spaulder from the item pool, and why the recent April Fools randomizer basically had random spots just give you copies of the Spaulder, for the sake of the joke of "it sucks and is bad to have on now here play the entire game with it." Which is pretty funny all things considered.

Congrats on going at it though, you didn't have to but I mean even if I had been wrong the boss rush is no joke so eyy.

ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago

There is a reason why the La Mulana randomizer explicitly has an option to remove the Spaulder from the item pool, and why the recent April Fools randomizer basically had random spots just give you copies of the Spaulder, for the sake of the joke of "it sucks and is bad to have on now here play the entire game with it." Which is pretty funny all things considered.

Congrats on going at it though, you didn't have to but I mean even if I had been wrong the boss rush is no joke so eyy.

The best streams of the fools rando were the ones that actively tried to avoid all the Spaulders and would reset upon getting one. Sadly I think only one stream did that.