(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AweStriker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - The Queen's Menagerie

Post by AweStriker »

Kleetus wrote: 4 years ago Looking through Nintendo Power, I found some weird tidbits.

February 2010: NP claims La-Mulana has six weapons, eleven subweapons, and nine guardians. But the final game has five, nine, and eight respectively. An error, or perhaps the game was going to be larger before Nicalis dropped out?
Maybe the first part of the final boss fight was being counted as a Guardian? The different Whip strengths (regular and chain) counted as different weapons? (though this wouldn't account for the remaining... one and a half(?) - whip, chain, axe, key, knife, katana is already 6) No explanation for the subweapons though, though the Chakram and Caltrops weren't in the original... and offhand the Ankh Jewels count as subweapons, which would make it 10.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: La-Mulana - Delightful Wallpaper

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Panic! Panic! The episode isn't up and it's a whole 17 minutes since scheduled upload time!!!

:partygator:

not actually that bothered, guessing it's just a youtube fail but I do now realise how I schedule too much of my life around when raocow uploads
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

technical difficulties, please stand by
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 4 years ago Panic! Panic! The episode isn't up and it's a whole 17 minutes since scheduled upload time!!!

:partygator:

not actually that bothered, guessing it's just a youtube fail but I do now realise how I schedule too much of my life around when raocow uploads
yeah i put on an album to end right at 2:30 and then nothing went up and i've been dying for 24 mins but according to pataponzone it's just youtube being youtube
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

It's uploaded now, at a glorious 360p :D
Crow

Post by Crow »

Ba (the face bird with a face) is probably the most annoying subboss in the game simply due to how awful that arena is so good on you for finding a breaking strategy pretty easily, i had a ton of trouble with that guy myself
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

In this episode, we live in a society
Nothing to see here
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Of all the load-bearing puzzles in the midgame, solving the entirety of Flooding the Tower and getting the Plane Model is probably the biggest one. Like, I'd consider Eden the first big tipping point of the game, and Flooding the Tower the second big tipping point. So hey, yo, progress town is here.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Crow

Post by Crow »

also yeah dang a lot of a lot of stuff happened today wow
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

in this episode part 2: raocow will notice things in editing

Nothing to see here
Advent Azure
Cursed Background Character
First name: Dr. Borg

Post by Advent Azure »

I can't believe how much progress was made today. I was ready for a whole lot of being stonewalled for progress, but my expectations subverted! This probably has the most progress I've seen as far as progressing in every which way. So much has opened up for raocow, to an absurd degree. Hopefully their memories will lead them to make use of their new tool, to do all they can with that.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Finally! The Chamber of Birth! And to think Mulbruk name dropped this place as one of her first hints to raocow.
She said this place had the key to lighting up the Chamber of Extinction permanently, but I think at this point of the game that's not a big issue anymore.

Anyways, my thoughts on the Chamber of Birth. Least favorite. I'd say its harder to navigate than Confusion Gate.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoAnyways, my thoughts on the Chamber of Birth. Least favorite. I'd say its harder to navigate than Confusion Gate.
I won't disagree that it's more difficult than the Gate of Illusion but it's still one of my favorite fields. The general theme and bgm for the field are both great and help make up for how ridiculous solving the field actually is.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

It's funny that raocow has chosen the Katana as his current favorite weapon, because I find it to be one of the worst in my experience. Its slow speed and downwards arc makes it bad for fighting bats or anything above you, and it doesn't feel super powerful with each swing. I suppose I prefer the speed and strength of the whip or the big attack arc of the axe.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

FPzero wrote: 4 years agoIt's funny that raocow has chosen the Katana as his current favorite weapon, because I find it to be one of the worst in my experience. Its slow speed and downwards arc makes it bad for fighting bats or anything above you, and it doesn't feel super powerful with each swing. I suppose I prefer the speed and strength of the whip or the big attack arc of the axe.
Personally I prefer the whip and only switch to others specifically for their attack range or, in the case of getting something like the axe really early on I'll use it until I get something better. Most of the non-whip primary weapons actually kinda suck in comparison to the whips. Knife is fast but has no range at all, axe has fairly high damage but its vertical range is only marginally better than the whip and it's fairly slow, key sword doesn't do great damage and only has marginally better horizontal range than the whip, and the katana actually has a decent attack range (at least for covering downward attacks) and does adequate damage but it's so godawfully slow for some reason that it gets delegated to basically useless. It is superior to the knife though simply due to the fact that its larger attack range actually means it can reach a few things from spots the knife can't but those are largely superfluous spots that don't make much of a difference anyways.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

I forgot just how much the plane unlocks. Bombs, Chamber of Birth, and alternate entrances to like four or five areas.

And hoo boy, Chamber of Birth. One of the toughest parts of the game in every sense. Can't wait to see just how raocow fumbles through this area against everyone's expectations.
Signature text.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Everyone's talking about how rough the Chamber of Birth is, but look on the bright side, the music is catchy.

About Ba, many guides on La-Mulana say

"Don't even bother fighting Ba, just wait until you have time stop and go ham."

The Ba fight reminds me of Moldorm from A Link to the Past. A boss that is very weak, but forces you to restart because of ring outs, and getting back in the ring is a chore. Moldorm is the worst boss in LttP, you can't convince me otherwise.

Ba comes from Egyptian myth, the Ba is the unique character of a person or object, often appearing as a bird with a human head.

roacow identifies the second miniboss as a sickle weasel (the name the game uses is Kamaitachi), a Japanese yokai with a lot of regional variants. They're jerks who ride wind and slash peoples' legs to deliver woulds that are unnoticeable at first, but latter become critical. They're sometimes associated with cold winds, hence the appearance in the Graveyard of the Giants.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

In this episode, raocow finally gets his stand. raocow's stand is foreshadowed

unrelated note: raocow inspired me to complete la mulana 2, and I am proud to say that the final boss is kicking my ass.
nevermind, this entire episode is one big frustration.
He didn't try grappling the leaning tower, he didn't pick up that he could push the block from yesterday, he didn't decapitate ashura, keeps overlooking his snaps app.
Worst of all, he keeps getting hurt because he's using the katana and he just. won't. switch.
Nothing to see here
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: La-Mulana - Photopia

Post by Voltgloss »

The Chamber of Birth is, indeed, quite a busy place. And yes, it's also very challenging. "Tougher than Gate of Illusion" I definitely agree with.
There is no shame in spending a while here to crack its secrets.

It also contains - alongside a set of puzzles I very much enjoy - my single most hated puzzle/obstacle in the entire game.

Specifically, that leaning pillar at around 9:30.

So how about we ponder these puzzles and challenges over a bowl of curry?

"Song of Curry" (theme for the Chamber of Birth)

CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

the chamber of birth is a special kind of hell. i've said it before in this thread (probably behind ispoiler tags) that it's my least favorite area in the game, and i stand by that opinion. it is bonkers annoying.
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

in this video, rao get punished for his genocidal tendencies several times

at least that's what my own puzzle solve senses are telling me

Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Chamber of Birth is a special hell and probably my least favorite zone in the entire game. It's basically "what if Illusion was less honest about being hell and was worse to solve." In no uncertain terms, getting to the grail point is probably one of the most infuriating things to do.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So it probably hasnt been said enough that the katana is bad (for the environment of la mulana), but I legit did not know that you can die to the money farming boxes.

Because raocow was using an underhand swing weapon, the boxes on top don't get broken and thus hit Lemeza first. This would not have happened with the whip or the axe.

Even discounting all the other times it has gotten him into trouble by not having an overhead swing so enemies just bully him into redoing 5 minutes of content, it is literally so bad that it can get you killed. That's some sonic 06 tier stuff.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - Pholtos

Post by Awoo »

Chirei wrote: 4 years ago Even discounting all the other times it has gotten him into trouble by not having an overhead swing so enemies just bully him into redoing 5 minutes of content, it is literally so bad that it can get you killed. That's some sonic 06 tier stuff.
So...
"IT'S NO USE"?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image