(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - Fail-Save

Post by Awoo »

that's a lotta damage

ho boy I'm finally caught up on raocow's videos

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Re: La-Mulana - Fail-Safe

Post by Sebby19 »

That miniboss just chilling in the Shrine of the Mother is Beelzebub.

Remember that you still haven't done what you need to do with the Pepper. You know exactly what to do, you just haven't found the correct face in the wall. Perhaps another world tour from the beginning is needed?
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

:sadskarmory:

also raocow be like

*uses the dragon bone*
*pillar of skulls visibly disappears onscreen*
"i wonder if it removed the skulls, that seems too arbitrary"

we are pretty much bottlenecked by viy now, yup, and raocow doesn't seem to know where to go next either, so.... oof

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Parama wrote:

we are pretty much bottlenecked by viy now, yup, and raocow doesn't seem to know where to go next either, so.... oof

There is an alternate way around Viy, at least temporarily.

Big spoilers
The Gate of Time has a secret exit leading to the Tower of the Goddess. It would require fumbling around in the dark until finding the lights (and would give a steam achievement), but that would in turn unlock a lot more areas in turn. However, we would still be blocked off from fighting Palenque or Tiamat until defeating Viy.

It would be hilarious to see raocow stumble into the backdoor entrance to the Tower of the Goddess, but it would also probably mean it would be a LONG time until we got back to Viy. I'm not sure which I'd rather see happen.
Honestly though, this LP is already moving plenty faster than I expected, and I'm having a lot of fun watching it.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i find it really unlikely raocow is going to go back to the gate of time in the future, since he's aware it's kind of a bonus area & not necessary to explore or solve puzzles in, really

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

One thing that has been bugging me since the beginning of the LP. You know that invisible bridge in Guidance Gate? raocow found it on his own, but wasn't there a hint about it from a tablet? Is it still in the remake? I don't recall rao reading it.

I know it's in the original. It even had an image of the stone heads on each end of the bridge.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago One thing that has been bugging me since the beginning of the LP. You know that invisible bridge in Guidance Gate? raocow found it on his own, but wasn't there a hint about it from a tablet? Is it still in the remake? I don't recall rao reading it.

I know it's in the original. It even had an image of the stone heads on each end of the bridge.
The NPC in a door in the area talks about the "path of gazing faces." There's also a relevant skeleton in the area that I don't think raocow scanned.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago

i find it really unlikely raocow is going to go back to the gate of time in the future, since he's aware it's kind of a bonus area & not necessary to explore or solve puzzles in, really

And then he'll miss la mulana, which increases the damage of the whip with move. Which would fit him, he barely uses the whip :V

If you don't know where to go, you can always just go through everything from the beginning, see if something comes to mind
Nothing to see here
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Poor Skarmory, always getting ignored. It's just misunderstood.

FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: La-Mulana - The Lurking Horror

Post by FPzero »

Fighting Viy is a case study in learning to use your subweapons, so of course the winning run doesn't use them at all. Shurikens work great when the eyeball goes up because it's not always safe to jump at the boss or maybe the platform you'd like to attack at melee from is destroyed. You can also throw Earth Spears down at it when the eye is still in the socket and the demons have opened the eyelid.

Even so, Viy is not a very fun fight. Few windows to attack and lots of ways to take damage. Though I think I recall it being worse in Classic, since I can't recall if the eyeball ever left the socket. I think in that version you basically had to use spears to win.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

In this episode: raocow finds the treasures

Sorry, I forgot when you need to do the mother shrine stuff, you're done there for now

cool, another boss
Nothing to see here
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

By the way, it's not very convenient in terms of button presses, but it is possible to jump straight up, move left or right with air control (which you already know how to do because you've done it plenty), then double jump while not holding a direction to get a second straight up jump where you can do air control. It's not necessarily easy to do, but it is a possible way to attack bosses. I generally find it's best to attack from a standing jump whenever possible just in case I need to get away from them fast.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

i will never understand how rao can play 99% of all the megamen using just his lemons but then never uses a game's equivalent of it when he needs to hit something vertically aligned with him but dangerous to approach
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Frustration with the boss fight and jumping physics aside, today was really a very good day in terms of progress.

Viy's just hard. Find a method that works for you, and perhaps you can finally feel contentment with achieving the victory. A fitting music track, I think, for such an ominous challenge.

"In the Bottom" (Viy's theme)

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow wrote:just so we're clear, it's not that I WANT to jump into bosses, even though it happens often. it's just.. I try to jump in such a way to approach and be able to attack, but the amount of mid-air control you got in this game is pretty much nil
There's a couple methods to get around jumping into your foes. You can apply what FPzero recommends, or you CAN USE YOUR FREAKIN SUBWEAPONS!. Shurikens, Rolling Shuriken's, your fancy new Spears. Even the useless Caltrops could find a use here!

Taimot and the other remaining Gaurdian (has she been name dropped yet?) are gonna murderalize you.

When yelling at the screen spills into the forums.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago i will never understand how rao can play 99% of all the megamen using just his lemons but then never uses a game's equivalent of it when he needs to hit something vertically aligned with him but dangerous to approach
default weapon syndrome
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago i will never understand how rao can play 99% of all the megamen using just his lemons but then never uses a game's equivalent of it when he needs to hit something vertically aligned with him but dangerous to approach
It's clearly because at the beginning of the LP someone suggested that he not sub-weapons on the bosses and while he didn't consciously agree to follow through on that, the idea of sub-weapons being cheating it still persists as a lysogenic ideal.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Anyways, Viy. He's a Big Boy. The 5th and last Gaurdian I defeated. You could have actually fought him a long time ago, even before unlocking Confusion Gate. Though with the amount of health and weaponry you had at the time, I'm really curious if you would've persevered, or save him for later, when you're smeered across the wall.

Changes between versions:
-Eye laser was wider in the original. The remake let's Viy aim left and right, and fire twice in a row.
-Touching original Viy at the bottom would give you insane vertical knockback, up to the top of the screen. I think you also pass through platforms during this? Also deals insane damage.

I'll edit this post with an image of Viy's full body, from the original manual, once I get on my PC (unless someone beats me to it, I won't mind).
As for Viy's lore, I'll leave that to someone else. I don't go out of my way to learn about monsters and demons.
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years agoIt's clearly because at the beginning of the LP someone suggested that he not sub-weapons on the bosses and while he didn't consciously agree to follow through on that, the idea of sub-weapons being cheating it still persists as a lysogenic ideal.
But then he used the gun on Sakit.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I actually do not remember exactly how I beat this guy, but I certainly took a lot longer than raocow on the winning run.

I think it was a lot of dodging and throwing earth spear at the eyelashes until the eye came up, which I used shuriken on unless there was a platform close enough to melee. I was basically dead if I ran out of downward-facing subweapons. Firemanning is definitely better...
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana - The Lurking Eldritch Horror

Post by Awoo »

I'd have just shot the eye stalk, but that's me! :pal:

Congrats on not doing that, raocow! You've got some serious perseverance and dedication. Never give up!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Viy is also vulnerable when his eye is half open.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Of course raocow gets the treasures the episode immediately after I comment on how I'm beginning to doubt he'd ever find it.

Question: Is there a method for the One Arm / One Finger achievements for Viy that doesn't involve a bunch of face-tanking?
Signature text.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 5 years agoIt's clearly because at the beginning of the LP someone suggested that he not sub-weapons on the bosses and while he didn't consciously agree to follow through on that, the idea of sub-weapons being cheating it still persists as a lysogenic ideal.
And he felt guilty afterwards. And never touched the gun after that, despite facing much more frustrating bosses.

He probably just doesn't like juggling more than one weapon at a time.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
And he felt guilty afterwards. And never touched the gun after that, despite facing much more frustrating bosses.

He probably just doesn't like juggling more than one weapon at a time.
Isn't that called using skill

Let's hunt down the person that suggested that and stuff bananas in their closet