(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: La-Mulana - One Eye Open

Post by Zummorr »

in the long list of things that are typical of a LM1 playthrough. Getting crushed in the first room of the Shrine of the Mother happened to me too.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago in the long list of things that are typical of a LM1 playthrough. Getting crushed in the first room of the Shrine of the Mother happened to me too.
Yep, me too.
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Oh btw, that Sacred Orb on the surface, was moved very slightly between Classic and Remake. In Classic, it was at the bottom, where the bats are in Remake, and Classic just didn't have the bat cave. One of those little things done to keep Classic players on their toes, though in this case it made me slightly worried that raocow would miss it. I did a little cheer when he was back up there.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh yeah, that death in the Shrine was awesome! I'm surprised there wasn't a 'This is La-Mulana' achievement. I guess its reserved for the big monuments.

One general change between the original and remake is the exp bar. In the classic game, the bar didn't grow with your health, it was set at max length. So dieing in the early game was even easier (there was also no hot spring). However, after a few Life Orbs, dieing from health loss became uncommon, since killing an enemy gave you experience no matter what.
The remake forces you to collect those green exp orbs, which don't always drop. I think this also contributes to enemies not dropping money, ammo, and weights as often as the original. I don't remember having to buy weights as much a raocow here.

Speaking of hot springs, where are they? Someone (Xelpud?) said there might be more in the ruins, but where are they? raocow has explored, maybe, 70% of the land, and the closest find is that cold pool in the Graveyard of the Giants. And I don't know if its just there, or there is a way to heat it up.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago in the long list of things that are typical of a LM1 playthrough. Getting crushed in the first room of the Shrine of the Mother happened to me too.
Yep, me too.
Yeeeep. Ridiculously rude trap, but that's La-Mulana for you.

@Sebby

The pool wasn't too cold, it was too hot! You can attack the ice platform above it and it will fall down and cool off the hot spring enough to make it usable. It's so far out of the way that it's not really worth using unless you're in the area, though.

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
maou shoujo
devil girl

Post by maou shoujo »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I think this also contributes to enemies not dropping money, ammo, and weights as often as the original. I don't remember having to buy weights as much a raocow here.
1) Once you got far enough, Classic had a renewable weight farm in the Endless Corridor. A collection of pots on the 4th floor(*) that always dropped them. This is gone in Remake.

2) Remake added more weight taxes in a few places (like next to the save point in Temple of the Moon)

However, while you have to buy more, Remake ALSO reduced the cost of weights. 20 coins for 5 in Classic, 10 coins in Remake. In fact, Remake lowered the coin costs of almost everything. This is to compensate for not being able to repeatedly farm coins from saving and loading anymore. Classic did not save the collected state of most pots, so every time you loaded from save you'd be able to go around the ruins and collect all of the 10 coin pots again. Frankly, I found pot farming pretty dumb and tedious, and I much prefer Remake's money fairies that give you a huge boost every once in a while.

*(side note: Endless Corridor's 4th floor used to be a bunch of block-pushing puzzles instead of a damage gauntlet. Besides playing totally different, it also made the Glove be a mandatory progression item. One of the block puzzles had crumbling floors, so the only way past was to have the Glove and push faster.)
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I keep looking at the background in the Infinite Corridor. If you look there's lines all over the background that suggest it's a mural painted on to a wall made of slabs, but the objects in the mural don't appear to scroll along with it. Somehow an actual living breathing sky is painted on the background of the Corridor. The temples and totems in the background don't appear to be part of the mural, but closer to the foreground, this means the "Corridor" is absolutely huge.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

The many eyed boss in the Endless Corridor, Tai Sui (4Tai 4Sui) is a weird one. The Vita bestiary describes it as "A monstrous mass of meat with a billion eyes. Normally lives in the ground. Brings death to any human unlucky enough to dig it up accidentally." Despite being called meat, I believe it is supposed to be a fungus. It is a ganoderma a type of fungus used in Chinese medicine. Now digging up this specific fungus is said to bring bad luck. Why? It is a insult to the Duke of Jupiter, also called Tai Sui.
The Duke of Jupiter is not an individual but an office held. The Chinese Zodiac is based on the movement of planet Jupiter. The Duke of Jupiter is a deity associated with the zodiac sign opposite the sign Jupiter is currently in. So if Jupiter is in the sign of the horse, the Duke is in the sign of the rat. Each sign has five gods, one for each Chinese element, so there are a total of 60 dudes you could piss off by digging up weird fungus.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

The Endless Corridor has another of my favorite tracks in the game. That bass line! That drum beat! Nothing primitive about this one... it really encourages one to dance around (or through) those traps!

"Primitive Dance" (theme for the Endless Corridor)

Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Fun fact, the big cyclops boo (Zycloboo????) is named Backbeard, and he's from GeGeGe no Kitaro.
I change this sig every year for Advent
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago The Endless Corridor has another of my favorite tracks in the game. That bass line! That drum beat! Nothing primitive about this one... it really encourages one to dance around (or through) those traps!

"Primitive Dance" (theme for the Endless Corridor)

I'm actually a little more partial to the original version of the song, if only because there's a strange synth solo section around 1:45 that's cut from all other versions of the song. I just think it fits in there really nicely:

maou shoujo
devil girl

Post by maou shoujo »

maou shoujo wrote: 5 years ago *(side note: Endless Corridor's 4th floor used to be a bunch of block-pushing puzzles instead of a damage gauntlet. Besides playing totally different, it also made the Glove be a mandatory progression item. One of the block puzzles had crumbling floors, so the only way past was to have the Glove and push faster.)
Here's a pic of Classic Endless Corridors. Check out the weird pots floating in midair that enable some of these. The one with the farmable weights is the second from the right, and the one requiring the glove is the one furthest right. I have no idea why they completely changed this.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey Volt, don't take this as complaint, but how come you don't post the original's tunes too (like I've done the last 3 times)?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Hey Volt, don't take this as complaint, but how come you don't post the original's tunes too (like I've done the last 3 times)?
1. Personal preference; and
2. raocow's playing the remake, so I'm posting tracks from the remake.

I've no problem with others posting the original's tracks.
Tenlade

Re: La-Mulana - Endless, Nameless

Post by Tenlade »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago * a seiries of blacked out discussions about a puzzle solution
a bit late to reply, but why dont you just post the mulbruk hint that he skipped?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Other might consider it backseat gaming.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Other might consider it backseat gaming.
I will never agree with these people since explaining these things is the very reason for her addition to this game, but alright.
Might be wise for this thread to follow the guidelines "if it needs spoiler tags, don't post it", as there will be plenty of time to talk about future puzzles/areas when they show up and i have confidence raocow will reach these areas eventually.
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

maou shoujo wrote: 5 years ago
maou shoujo wrote: 5 years ago *(side note: Endless Corridor's 4th floor used to be a bunch of block-pushing puzzles instead of a damage gauntlet. Besides playing totally different, it also made the Glove be a mandatory progression item. One of the block puzzles had crumbling floors, so the only way past was to have the Glove and push faster.)
Here's a pic of Classic Endless Corridors. Check out the weird pots floating in midair that enable some of these. The one with the farmable weights is the second from the right, and the one requiring the glove is the one furthest right. I have no idea why they completely changed this.
I don't know either but I'm glad they did because that floor was always the worst. Long, involved block puzzles are not that fun in this game.
The farmable weights were nice though.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years agoin the long list of things that are typical of a LM1 playthrough. Getting crushed in the first room of the Shrine of the Mother happened to me too.
It seems to catch a lot of people from what I've seen. Most people aren't on guard when they first reach the Shrine due to the bottom floor of the Endless Corridor so they're not expecting anything too terribly dangerous right off the bat. Got me my first time down there too and caused my to ragequit and stop playing for a week because it had already taken me like three tries to even get past the bottom floor in the first place so my patience was wearing thin.
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoOther might consider it backseat gaming.
I'm pretty sure he can still get that hint anyways. He just needs to go and actually get it is all.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoOther might consider it backseat gaming.
I'm pretty sure he can still get that hint anyways. He just needs to go and actually get it is all.
He can get it later, but not right now. Explanation in the spoiler block.
The hint in question comes from Mulbruk. Some of her clues are tied to overall game progression and are given out only when the player's internal "score" (which depends on a host of factors) is within certain ranges. The clue for the Endless Corridor floor 2 puzzle is one of them.

Right now, raocow's internal "score" is above the first range in which she'd give that clue. So he could have received the clue earlier; but because he didn't visit Mulbruk while his score was in that range, he didn't see it. Now his score is past that range and can't be reduced back to it. Of course, he had no way of knowing this.

There is another later, higher "score" range in which she'll again give that clue, but to reach it raocow needs to make further progress elsewhere. Explicit spoiler regarding what progress I'm talking about:
He needs to first defeat Viy, and thereafter gather a few more items/defeat a few more mini-bosses or guardians. None of the "points" he'd gain for finding items/defeating mini-bosses/defeating other guardians will increase his score any further until after he has defeated Viy.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years agoHe can get it later, but not right now. Explanation in the spoiler block.
The hint in question comes from Mulbruk. Some of her clues are tied to overall game progression and are given out only when the player's internal "score" (which depends on a host of factors) is within certain ranges. The clue for the Endless Corridor floor 2 puzzle is one of them.

Right now, raocow's internal "score" is above the first range in which she'd give that clue. So he could have received the clue earlier; but because he didn't visit Mulbruk while his score was in that range, he didn't see it. Now his score is past that range and can't be reduced back to it. Of course, he had no way of knowing this.

There is another later, higher "score" range in which she'll again give that clue, but to reach it raocow needs to make further progress elsewhere. Explicit spoiler regarding what progress I'm talking about:
He needs to first defeat Viy, and thereafter gather a few more items/defeat a few more mini-bosses or guardians. None of the "points" he'd gain for finding items/defeating mini-bosses/defeating other guardians will increase his score any further until after he has defeated Viy.

Ah, I see. I was able to get it because I'd beaten Viy a long time before getting to that point in the Eternal Corridor. I didn't realize there was a point she could simply stop giving the hint.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That's a really weird way to design a hint system. Wouldn't it have been easier to just have an event flag trigger when you reach the area, unlocking the hint?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago That's a really weird way to design a hint system. Wouldn't it have been easier to just have an event flag trigger when you reach the area, unlocking the hint?
I agree, at least for the particular hint we're talking about.

Indeed, some of Mulbruk's other hints ARE provided exactly like you describe - they become available after you've been to a particular area. I believe those hints also check to see whether you've already solved the relevant puzzle, and won't be delivered if you have. (For example, Mulbruk has a hint about the Inferno Cavern if you visit her after going there; but the hint is about the location of the Ice Cape - so if you already have the Ice Cape as well, then she doesn't give the hint at all.)

I can see an argument for some of her other, later comments/hints being tied to score generally instead of having visited certain locations. But I have no idea why this particular hint - which is specifically relevant to the Eternal Corridor second floor - is a "general score" hint instead of a "have you been to this place yet" hint.

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana - Superluminal Vagrant Twin

Post by Crow »

now is a time for remembering and reviewing
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FPzero

Re: La-Mulana - Superluminal Vagrant Twin

Post by FPzero »

edit: actually gonna go spoiler these because someone's gonna probably tell me I'm spoiling even though I'm just reviewing some options he has open to him.

Could always go explore

the Shrine of the Mother. I don't remember what's down there very well but you did manage to unlock the entrance via the Endless Corridor. I mean, it *is* another area now available for you to set foot in.

Might also be able to take on

that lightning bird in the Tower of Ruin now that you have some additional health.

Or you could try and remember

how you got to poison gas room in the Twin Labyrinths.

You're in the middle of the game right now. There's no real set path right this moment, just lots of branches to explore.