(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: La-Mulana - Ghost Town

Post by Grounder »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago I don't want to get overwhelmed :O !!!
He says as he LPs La-Mulana.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

In the original, the Boots were not located in that shop, and instead were placed a fair bit later on. I don't recall what was there before. Regardless, I agree it's really nice to get them this early on.
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

So here's a summary of the Giants' history I've pieced together from the clues raocow found. (This isn't a spoiler - I don't remember any of the puzzles in this game and am piecing it together as I watch.) They neatly fall into two factions like that one tablet says, and there are references to the sun, moon, and stars like on the Sky Disc.

Zebu: Firstborn. Refused to choose sides. Held up the land, unable to move.

Bado: Helped build a flying tower to return Mother to the heavens. Fell into slumber under the stars.

Migela: Helped build a flying tower to return Mother to the heavens. Made the aqueduct in the Spring in the Sky. Carried a lake on his back and died. He is left handed.

Ledo: Helped build a flying tower to return Mother to the heavens. Fell in battle under the sun, a gaping hole in his chest. Sakit put a key on his body.

Futo: Helped build a flying tower to return Mother to the heavens. Strength lies at his foot.

Abuto: Hoped for Mother to return to the land. The last to die.

Ji: Hoped for Mother to return to the land. Prayed to the land under the moon.

Ribu: Hoped for Mother to return to the land. Dug a hole for the lake's water to the tower, then died.

Sakit: The youngest. Hoped for Mother to return to the land. Tread his own path. Put a key on Ledo's body and fell into slumber with his powers in hand.
Last edited by Filbi 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
I change this sig every year for Advent
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

This may not have crossed anybody's mind yet, but there is a reason why Lemeza only starts with a whip and laptop, despite being an archeologist.
According to the manual (which I HIGHLY recommend rao skim through once), Lemeza did bring more stuff, but nearly all of it was confiscated at the airport. He had to scream at the top of his lungs "THESE ARE SOUVENIRS!" in order to keep his whip and laptop.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the note taking and reading is a big part of why i assumed this LP will fall into disaster

i actually don't remember how to solve the puzzles here i only vaguely remember the solutions :rao:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Poor Xelpud, he has internet access but he can't purchase video games because he doesn't have a debit card. Old age truly is like regressing back to childhood.

Being in the micro country of La Mulana is pretty rough. The water is

poisonous

condors and snakes are everywhere. The invincible giant Argus is an eyesore, and Ammunition is overpriced.
Atleast software and Japanese throwing stars are cheap.
the note taking and reading is a big part of why i assumed this LP will fall into disaster
We would all do well to remember that 70% of all Archeology is done in the library.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

raocow asked about the "shrimp" enemies. One thing missing from the Steam version of La-Mulana, but available in "La-Mulana EX" (for the PS Vita of all things), is a bestiary. Here's the entry on the "shrimps," which are apparently this game's take on Nozuchi or the Tsuchinoko:

Description: A giant snake monster with no eyes or nose--just a mouth. Has an especially round body compared to ordinary snakes. Moves about by rotating its body. Loves the taste of mammal meat. Leaps after humans as soon as it sees one.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Pharoah's Tomb

Post by Awoo »

Man, this new remake of the Pharoah's Tomb game(s) is looking really sweet.

Does anyone else remember these games? My dad had them on a 3.25" floppy when I was growing up and I remember playing them on his old 486 way back in the day.

yeah i'm old AF

fart

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Tenlade

Re: La-Mulana - Cutthroats

Post by Tenlade »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago yeah the buckler is totally useless i never bought it more than once in the first game and never in the second game
Its good for any projectile happy bosses since even surviving one hit can mean the difference between victory and death in this game.
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Since I was streaming it with friends, I had a system of index cards with goals for each stream based on what we had accomplished previously. As well as a few cards for larger, multi-area-spanning puzzles.
For the 2nd game i made myself a private discord server and just posted screenshots in there in channels divided by area with keywords I could search for later. discord/slack is surprisngly useful for just storing text/images for later.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago Pharoah's Tomb
Reminds me of happy days as a young lad playing Montezuma's Revenge on the ColecoVision.

yes I'm old AF myself

Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

I've been told that the correct response to the ghostly shopkeeper who says he cannot rest until you buy his wares is to disgustedly mutter "All crap!" to yourself and abruptly turn around, leaving him to his terrible fate.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Zebu's a champ, putting up with what has to be the worst job in creation.
I can only imagine upon seeing the work of his brothers he says; "A flying tower, that's pretty cool. Do you know what else would be cool? A giant pillar so I don't need to hold up the Earth with by bare freaking hands."
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
Description: A giant snake monster with no eyes or nose--just a mouth. Has an especially round body compared to ordinary snakes. Moves about by rotating its body. Loves the taste of mammal meat. Leaps after humans as soon as it sees one.
Those enemies always reminded me of the worm enemies in the final contra levels.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-malana llama - Ghost Town

Post by Awoo »

Gotta love Lampreys nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
Awoo wrote: 5 years ago Pharoah's Tomb

yeah i'm old AF

fart

Montezuma's Revenge

yes I'm old AF myself

I am 21 (22 in a few days) and I would absolutely play these unprompted

I used to play DOS games before XP came along though
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sebby19

Re: La-Mulana - The Witness

Post by Sebby19 »

"Is it cheating to use the gun?" Yes, it is.

Typically, by the time you fight Sakit, the average player should have found the mausoleum's Map and another Life Jewel (you solved half the puzzle for one of those), and have found a new main weapon.

That said, Sakit's 2nd form is new to the remake. I can think of one main weapon that could reach over those shoulder flames, but that is very much a mid-game weapon.

But anyways, you're making good pace raocow! 2 out of 8 guardians defeated!
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Sakit's song, Giant's Rage, is my favorite boss track to listen to. I hope Voltgloss doesn't mind if I post the original and the remake.

Original:

Remake:

I much prefer the original, especially those 'klaxxon/siren' noises that just set the mood perfectly. I feel the remake just neuters them.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago SPOILERS
Sebby19, your post two up (not the one with the music; the one before that) has multiple spoilers.
EDIT: Specifically, the second paragraph.
Last edited by Voltgloss 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Heh? I really don't see any spoilers. It's not a stretch to know there are other main weapons, maps, and Life Jewels. And the game has already outright said how many gaurdians there are.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Heh? I really don't see any spoilers. It's not a stretch to know there are other main weapons, maps, and Life Jewels. And the game has already outright said how many gaurdians there are.
You have spoiled

that there is a Life Jewel located in the mausoleum

and

that raocow has "solved half the puzzle" for either the Map or the Life Jewel in the mausoleum

EDIT: Thank you for editing your post to remove the first of those.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Okay, I've reworded that paragraph a little to address your first point (though I still disagree with you there), but I fail to understand your 2nd point. I said it in the vaugest way possible, and it's based on what rao has already done. I'm not spoiling the solution.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

"Is it cheating to use a gun?" No, use whatever you want Mr.cow.

Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago "Is it cheating to use a gun?" No, use whatever you want Mr.cow.
I agree with this view. The game gives you a gun; up to you where and when to use it. It's not cheating, it's managing your resources. And yeah, the "this is what Indiana Jones would do" argument is pretty solid as well.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I don't know who told you not to use subweapons on bosses, but don't listen to them, seriously. This game's bosses are hard enough without arbitrarily restricting yourself. There are some fights down the line where I couldn't even begin to imagine a new player fighting them without subweapons. Never underestimate their usefulness in a fight.

As for using the gun, hey it's an option available to you at the start of the game if you want to spend the money on it. Why not use it? it's not cheating. I used the gun on plenty of fights in this game. Better than the original version of the game where the gun can only be found around 90-95% of the way through the game, hidden in an unmarked wall in a pretty out-of-the-way location.

One last piece of advice: Don't be afraid to re-read tablets you've already read. The glow on tablets is there just to let you know if you haven't read it yet, but don't expect that you'll be able to play without referencing old material. You were trying to figure out which giant was which, but didn't really read any of the tablets that had those hints on them. It's super useful that Voltgloss is making a big compendium of information for you, but if you're not going to reference it during the recording (which is understandable), then don't forget that all the info is going to be in the game too. From the knowledge you gained today by shifting around the time in the mausoleum and the list of hints you've gained you should be able to piece together most if not all of the giants' names.

(If anyone thinks I've said too much or accidentally given too much of a hint towards anything, just let me know and I'll make the appropriate edits.)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

FPzero wrote: 5 years agoDon't be afraid to re-read tablets you've already read.
With one exception, ofcourse. ;)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica