(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana - The Edifice

Post by Crow »

VaultFloss
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oops. Sorry about mispelling your name.

I don't remember the game having that many warps like The Gate of Guidance does, shouldn't get cluttered at all.

Also add hyperlinks to rao episodes for each piece of text and map square
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I forgot how self aware of video game tropes Xelpud's dialogue is. Xelpud I think, is what happens to video game protagonists after they retire.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoI don't remember the game having that many warps like The Gate of Guidance does, shouldn't get cluttered at all.

There's like 1-2 in most fields iirc. Some do have more though. The Infinite Corridor is five or six floors vertically and I think most floors have one of those warps. Though they're not really warps actually but a matter of how the fields are actually structured. They're a 4x5 or 5x4 grid, I forget which, and the map just shows the straightforward layout you'd get from them by exploring.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Kleetus wrote: 5 years ago Xelpud I think, is what happens to video game protagonists after they retire.
what an interesting thought :o
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm not sure how I feel about 'you need a weight to do anything' business
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Jesus this video was like watching an horror movie where you're like "no don't open the closet the monster is RIGHT THERE" and then raocow clutches it ou and saves.

By the way, SNN's post reminded me of something. This game is mod-capable and there were two alternate soundtracks you could switch to at any time ingame, through additional downloads. The original soundtrack, and the (NO raocow ZONE) fantastic SC88 renditions.(NO raocow ZONE)

Thing is, the links are dead and I can't find them anywhere other than Nigoro's own Youtube channel.
You could also use the SC88 versions on the original, crusty La-Mulana but again, dead link. Which bothers me immensely since I wanted to replay it but with the good sountrack!!

So if anyone has those and could share them, please do.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years agoSo if anyone has those and could share them, please do.
Coincidentally I believe I actually have that, though it'll take me awhile to upload it because my ISP is garbage. Is it the one that's labelled as "Retro" in-game?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years agoping
If it is the correct one:
https://kayo.moe/4RR8NPlu.001
https://kayo.moe/irwqbX8T.002

You'll need to rename them to the same name since that filehost apparently renamed them. (Doesn't really matter what, just that they're renamed [NAME].001 and [NAME].002.) I only tested whether they opened correctly in 7zip but in 7zip, so long as they have the same name they should open properly. Extract the 01 folder to La Mulana\data\music and then it should be accessible from the game's config menu.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Stink Terios wrote: 5 years agoping
If it is the correct one:
https://kayo.moe/4RR8NPlu.001
https://kayo.moe/irwqbX8T.002

You'll need to rename them to the same name since that filehost apparently renamed them. (Doesn't really matter what, just that they're renamed [NAME].001 and [NAME].002.) I only tested whether they opened correctly in 7zip but in 7zip, so long as they have the same name they should open properly. Extract the 01 folder to La Mulana\data\music and then it should be accessible from the game's config menu.
Nah, this is the original, SSCC version. Which is also great to have available! Thanks for the effort.

e: Slightly unrelated: The "SC88" versions in khinsider are actually midis ran through the default Windows instruments, it hurts.
Crow

Post by Crow »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago I'm not sure how I feel about 'you need a weight to do anything' business
pro-tip: stock 30+ at least every time you get the chance
that being said yeah it is super arbitrary
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I'd say around 15 or so is good at all times but if you have the money to spare just buy more.

Weights were much worse to come by in the original version of the game. You could still buy them but I think they were 10 coins for 1 weight and not 5.

Not a spoiler for this version of La-Mulana, only for the original and even then just talking about something not even in the remake anymore:
Though once you got to one room in the game that isn't actually in this version any more, there were pots that would always drop them and so you could basically just get infinite for free. That didn't carry over to this version.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - The Orifice & Spike McCain

Post by Awoo »

So, do the weights "weigh" you down at all? Like is there a reason not to stock up on like 50+ at a time, or does it actually effect your speed/jumping?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: La-Mulana - Crystal and Stone Beetle and Bone

Post by Voltgloss »

First Ankh found by the third video? Nicely done. With appropriately mysterious music, to boot.

"Requiem" (theme for the Ankhs)

FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So, do the weights "weigh" you down at all? Like is there a reason not to stock up on like 50+ at a time, or does it actually effect your speed/jumping?
They don't, it's just that early on you may want to save money for buying stuff since there's a variety of shops available. But with as much money as he has now from all those money chests he opened, he could easily stock up a little.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago
Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So, do the weights "weigh" you down at all? Like is there a reason not to stock up on like 50+ at a time, or does it actually effect your speed/jumping?
They don't, it's just that early on you may want to save money for buying stuff since there's a variety of shops available. But with as much money as he has now from all those money chests he opened, he could easily stock up a little.
lets get this bread
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago
lets get this bread
You know what they say...
All toasters, toast

bread, not toast.

why would a toaster toast toast since toast is already toasted

toast is toasted bread. it makes toast not toasting toast.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

time to rise and grind gamers, lets get this bread
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah, stuff being triggered off-screen is one of the big weird issues this game has and loves doing.

the second game almost completely alleviates this if i remember correctly

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

One major difference between versions is when you solve a puzzle that's offscreen, this new version adds those room animations you see when you enter the screen. The original didn't have this, so you may not even notice the change (especially if it's been awhile).

I also don't remember the pillar that crushed rao being in the original game. Man, what a cheap first death.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

If each skeleton you encounter is the remains of a previous explorer, La-Mulana must be a popular destination. The ghosts probably make a killing selling supplies to people in the ruins. Now what ghosts need with money I couln't tell you.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: La-Mulana - Cutthroats

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Amphisbaena first time whip only no subweapon? Is this Lemega Man?
Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago Never claim you're bad at bosses again, raocow!
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Kleetus wrote: 5 years ago If each skeleton you encounter is the remains of a previous explorer, La-Mulana must be a popular destination. The ghosts probably make a killing selling supplies to people in the ruins. Now what ghosts need with money I couln't tell you.
The specter of capitalism haunts these ruins.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm impressed you didn't die to the boss. The original version of the boss would have murdered you if you didn't use shuriken. Only 7 gaurdians left. Plus countless minibosses, and Mother herself.

I also don't remember the Buckler being breakable in the original. It was pretty good at blocking projectiles, despite it's small size.

If there is one thing you should do, go to that lady to buy some weights, but then cancel mid-purchase.
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Nice job using whip only for the boss. It can be tough to hit like you discovered but it is totally doable without shurikens. They just make the fight much faster.

Graveyard of the Giants is a cool place with a cool central puzzle and lore that ties into it. And I know people are probably disappointed you didn't trap yourself into hard mode but I'm pretty glad you didn't. It makes some later rooms really dumb.