(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: La-Mulana - Adventure

Post by Sebby19 »

Don't worry rao, I won't be helping this time. You did this to youself when you chose this game. La-Mulana will chew you up, spit you out, and the slurp you back off the floor. Your screams of agony and confusion will echo through the unforgiving walls, nourishing them. The puzzles, riddles, and tedium will crack and splinter your brain, easy fodder for the monsters and gaurdians.
I don't want you to miss out on these experiences. And you did this to yourself.

That all said, should we warn him about the hard mode tablet, when he gets close? Knowing rao, there is a 50% chance he won't

head the warning, and become a fool.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I'm pretty excited for a new exploratory game, since I got really into the Hollow Knight LP. This game I know at least will get hardcord in different ways
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Sure this might end up being a "thing" at times, but lets think positive.
La-Mulana has really cool environments, and the music is good.
Aside from some puzzles so obtuse they become reflex angles and

the Gate of Illusion

the game generally strikes a good balance being being amusing trollish without being cruel, just be sure to save often.
The first few areas in the game aren't too bad.

In response to Sebby's note;

roacow accidentally activating hard mode

is on my raocow La-Mulana bingo card.
Other spaces include:
Really likes a certain

feline

enemy type.
Reacts with discomfort upon

the realization that he has become a metaphor for sperm in one of the pyramid puzzles

Is reduced to hysterics upon witnessing the absurdity that is

the Palenque fight

Solves a ridiculous puzzle with minimal effort.
Accidentally discovers

a software combination

Screws himself over slightly by

rendering a minor area inaccessible because of a botched puzzle.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Spoilering it because it's a bit of a large image but as raocow pointed out, most of the stuff in the game is based off real archaeological things. The gate near the entrance to the ruins for example is based off these:
FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years agoI watched parts of some of Deceased Crab's playthroughs, but this is the first time I'll be seeing things in full. This has always been a game that I love watching people figure out but think I would never want to play ever with how out-there some stuff is. Anyway, I remember precisely zero details from those playthroughs, like, literally not even one, so
Iso's blind lp of the game was far superior to any of DC's.
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago

That all said, should we warn him about the hard mode tablet, when he gets close? Knowing rao, there is a 50% chance he won't

head the warning, and become a fool.
On the one hand it'd be hilarious. On the other hand it's very easy to accidentally activate it when you're looking back over things later on. It's the single reason my first several attempts to finish the game ended in failure.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

it's very rao to find it silly that you need a mapping software yet not blink at all at the fact that you need an item to read tablets taller than you are, huh
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

it's called video game logic Arc the Ladette
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Greader

Post by Greader »

Honestly, with someone keeping notes and raocow both having latent memories and picking up on important gameplay stuff (took me way too long to realise you could scan stuff like that split gate thingie) makes me think this is not gonna be as bad as some people are expecting it to be.

Obviously spoiling anything not seen or unsolved is a no-go, what is the spoiler policy though on puzzles that were solved but end with raocow wondering how you were supposed to know what to do? There are definitly some that can be bruteforced and such so I wonder if it's okay afterwards to say how you were meant to get to a specific solution? (as long as it does not reveal something that could be vital to solving another puzzle or something of course)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Greader wrote: 5 years ago Obviously spoiling anything not seen or unsolved is a no-go, what is the spoiler policy though on puzzles that were solved but end with raocow wondering how you were supposed to know what to do? There are definitly some that can be bruteforced and such so I wonder if it's okay afterwards to say how you were meant to get to a specific solution? (as long as it does not reveal something that could be vital to solving another puzzle or something of course)
I'd throw it under a spoiler tag like so: "Hey raocow, you know that X puzzle you sort of solved but were confused by? Here's how you could've worked that out...

Lore explanation of puzzle and solution here

". Just in case the "true answer" spoils other interlinked puzzles or a pattern of systems. raocow likely won't look at it anyway unless he's really curious, so it'll be more for the benefit of the crowd.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Does UMBRELLA work in this version?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

bob up there explained exactly what should happen in the case of 'I bruteforced a puzzle and someone can explain how I was meant to do it with all this information/tools that I already possess'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Greader

Post by Greader »

Alright, thanks, I am gonna stick to that then
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

like I've just started but man, even with the kinda weird controls the game has been really fun just goign around poking at things. I haven't felt such a nice first impression since, like, hollow knight, which wasn't that long ago
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

The game really does have this cool feeling of natural exploration, especially if you take the time to scan a lot of things and background details. When I played LM2, I had two other guys with me as I streamed it and we were trying to make mythological connections as we went. Really fun time.

I forgot that Xelpud was as good about emailing you in the early game as he is. He should help you get through the first few bits of the game and help you avoid getting too lost and stuck for now.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago I forgot that Xelpud was as good about emailing you in the early game as he is. He should help you get through the first few bits of the game and help you avoid getting too lost and stuck for now.
what a rude backseater

ban zelpud's ass
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: La-Mulana - The Edifice

Post by Alice »

Lol, I'm somehow not surprised at raocow accidentally his way to the grail so early. Most people tend to overlook it for quite awhile because it's not straightforward to open the chest and it's actually fairly difficult to reach for so early in the game. Glad he got it though. The game's a serious pain without it and I've had it kill runs not having it.

But those runs were admittedly doing things I absolutely shouldn't have been doing:

Going straight for the axe as quickly as possible, even skipping over the grail in the process. Getting the axe and then getting out of the Temple of Moonlight without the grail though is an enormous pain in the ass because it requires going through the bottom of the Twin Labyrinths with nearly no equipment.

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

On those green orbs youve been picking up from enemies (this is more a game mechanic and I don't even think is used in a single puzzle, but spoilering anyway)
There is a blue meter under your healthbar. Green orbs fill the bar, and when it fills up completely, you fully heal. This is extremely unwieldy since you sometimes fill it up unintentionally.

The larger your maximum health, the more green orbs it takes to fill out the bar, making it harder to heal as you get more max HP. Why couldn't it just give you straight HP back?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Two videos in and already some clutch play and tense moments. I was on the edge of my seat at around the 5 health mark.

Perhaps raocow's drawing strength from the music? He is, after all, just what it describes.

"Fearless Challenger" (theme for the Gate of Guidance)

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Annotation 2019-03-22 205754.png
Annotation 2019-03-22 205754.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

What a huge relief that you found the Grail. It's really not recommended to leave the Gate of Guidance without it just because warping is so incredibly power. But you found it so now you can go anywhere you want! With the translation software and the grail, the game truly does begin for real.

Also the Buckler was only like, 10 coins as seen yesterday so you can definitely afford it now if you can figure out which shop it's in!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hey Voltglass, maybe add that sideways warp rao also found to the map. Like maybe adding a symbol like =, beside D2 and D5.
Oh yeah, you don't have those notations either. Eh, up to you.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow

Post by raocow »

holy moly I had not realised how much work you're putting on these threads :O

wow, alright, haha :oops:
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

man, I beat this game close to 10 years ago and I forgot how exciting it is to play through. this is definitely one of my most anticipated LPs in a long time. best of luck - this is going to be a hell of a journey.

(still super prefer the original music over the remastered versions though :( )
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Hey Voltglass
Voltgloss
maybe add that sideways warp rao also found to the map. Like maybe adding a symbol like =, beside D2 and D5.
Oh yeah, you don't have those notations either. Eh, up to you.
I thought about adding connections but was concerned with cluttering the maps beyond the most important pieces: what rooms have been visited vs. not visited, where raocow made observations suggesting a potential return visit, and field exits/shops/grail points.

But if raocow would find them useful to include, just let me know.