(shouting)

ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - World Soccer Winning Eleven 5: Final Frog - 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Shin Megami Tensei: Mice Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Spin - 7

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: S2SE
that's not sonic suggests at all /s
this is performance art
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Shin Megami Tensei: Mice Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Spin - 7

Post by SAJewers »

let's get raocow to lp both Kappa
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

yeah, i'll agree with today's question of "why"

though to be fair, you could probably ask that of most mario powerups
morsel/morceau

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Frog, the Witch and the Wardrobe - 7

Post by morsel/morceau »

So, when idol saw that the frog suit was one of the custom power-ups, nothing would satisfy her but that I would make an evil frog-out-of-water platforming section. So please do not blame me for anything that happened. I was bullied, harassed, bulldozed, strong-armed, blandished, bewitched, guilt-tripped and ass-paddled into making this level.

The frog is not particularly accurate to smb3. Most obviously, you don't have as much bounciness. We shouldn't be too precious about this. If you remember the smb3 e-reader experience, almost none of the things nintendo ported from other games into mario 3 was particularly accurate. But my level is not the last word in frogdom. Get ready for more batrachian fun to-morrow.
:partygator:
dont wanna jihad no more
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Imagine a game where the frog-styled controls were the default. Though if there all like this level, maybe it'd be pretty cool actually.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: im doubleposting

Post by Classtoise »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago EDIT: hey morsel i think you pissed someone off
ahh my favorite game of "spot the alt-right chud"
It's nice they've turned anime girls into their own personal biohazard sticker.
Edit: by nice I mean it makes them easy to spot and block instead of wondering if a joke just didn't land

Today's level was pretty neat but uh ... Yeah like raocow said, a great example if why the frog suit should stay in smb3
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

A lot of the Mario suits have the problem of being too situational or being kinda pointless compared to others. Like if you look at it objectively, Yoshi is just a permanent, improved, Kuribo's Shoe.

A lot of the extra powerups kind of serve the purpose of being mostly ASM tech demos. Unless you really want to make stages based around the powerups' weirder attributes (which is what mice does), there isn't much reason to use anything other than Cape and Fire Flower except to show off.

Also lions

I better see a For the Frog the Bell Tolls joke on the thread title tomorrow
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

lol the frog suit

Y'all wouldn't believe how very much A Thing it is (or at least was) in the SMBX-o-sphere. Like, for a while it was one of the most highly-requested features for SMBX2, so back in 2016 I made a prototype of it.

(yes, these videos were recorded while I was watching AGDQ, and yes, the physics were improved after they were uploaded)

We still don't have the tech to implement it as a proper basegame powerup state so it just kinda sits there in the dev repo collecting dust. Amusingly enough, that prototype was even relevant to another conversation we had earlier this morning on discord!

...And after seeing the full extent of that level I'm glad my prototype isn't going public anytime soon.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago\
Y'all wouldn't believe how very much A Thing it is (or at least was) in the SMBX-o-sphere. Like, for a while it was one of the most highly-requested features for SMBX2
as raocow mentioned in today's video description, "why"

curious to know the answer too.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - The Chronicles of The Frog For Whom The Prince's Bell Tolls - 7

Post by Awoo »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago\
Y'all wouldn't believe how very much A Thing it is (or at least was) in the SMBX-o-sphere. Like, for a while it was one of the most highly-requested features for SMBX2
as raocow mentioned in today's video description, "why"

curious to know the answer too.
Nostalgia?

I never liked the frog suit in SM3, personally.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

power-ups are hit and miss in their "good to have"-ness, especially in smw

+ Fire Flower is a ranged attack, so it's generally good to have (except in cases when enemies are all fireproof)
- SMB3 Leaf is generally good to have in SMB3, since the hover helps with platforming and flight and can be used to hit multiple blocks/find stuff in the sky (rendered obsolete when the SMW Cape is involved, though.)
+ Hammer Bro suit is a power trip and a half. Harder to aim the projectile, but takes care of practically any enemy.
- Frog suit is useless in anywhere except water and doing the challenge where you to try to defeat bowser as a frog
- Tanooki Suit's statue function is neat but doesn't do much for ya, kinda a novelty
+ Cape is a really good security tool to have while platforming, has a much better melee attack than Racoon, flight can be used in several ways that don't even need to master its complex mechanics
- Shell (especially in nsmb) janks up your controls and discourages you from running full speed even
- Mini Mushroom gives floatier jumps, but makes hitting enemies much harder to do and you die in one hit
+ Ice Flower is a really nice alternative to the fire flower, having different enemies which are affected by it and having its own mechanics of being able to pick up and throw ice blocks
- Propeller Mushroom is a double jump, but completely takes away your spin jump properties (does so in Super Mario Maker) and forces you into slow descent which is often really awkard
+ Penguin Suit brings the best of both Ice Flower and Frog Suit, throws in a belly flop attack too. Points added for penguins.
- Acorn is an awkward glide, combined with the Propeller Mushroom's awkward descent. It has a double jump too I guess.
video games
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago A lot of the Mario suits have the problem of being too situational or being kinda pointless compared to others. Like if you look at it objectively, Yoshi is just a permanent, improved, Kuribo's Shoe.
Most powerups are just permanent, improved, mushrooms
Mushrooms are a permanent, improved, Mario
Mario is a permanent, improved, blank screen
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Mata Hari wrote: Most powerups are just permanent, improved, mushrooms
Mushrooms are a permanent, improved, Mario
Mario is a permanent, improved, blank screen
this reads like a haiku
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So y'all remember the Level Contest Japan LP? That level contest that accepted entries from two different, incompatible versions of SMBX?

The part with the elaborate overworld was our project, SMBX2, which is based on a patchwork of ASM hacks into Redigit's original engine and lua written around those hacks. The one with the separate hub level, which we call SMBX 38A after its' creator to help distinguish the two (dude named it SMBX 1.4 because that's totally not going to cause any confusion), was built from the ground up. 38A and his engine are a whole giant rabbit hole I'd rather not get into right now, but the relevant thing here is that out of the box it included a number of new NPCs and powerups, one of which was the frog suit.

As much as we on the SMBX2 dev team believe both engines and their respective communities can coexist, vocal minorities of the two fandoms have been competing with one another and comparing features, leading to fans of SMBX2 asking for features exclusive to SMBX 38A and vice-versa. It doesn't help that 38A himself insulted us and then later ragequit development for... I've lost track of how long it's been at this point, but at least over a year? And that led some of his users to to double down in support of him and continue working on his engine in his absence (much like how the original SMBX community kept using Redigit's engine after he gave up on it) while others switched over to SMBX2 in anticipation of Beta 4, hoping that we'll be able to provide a lot of the features they'd been working with up to that point.

So yeah, TL;DR version: the frog suit represents years of silly drama and fan wars over them bootleg Marios. Meanwhile,
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Mandew wrote: 5 years ago power-ups are hit and miss in their "good to have"-ness, especially in smw

+ Fire Flower is a ranged attack, so it's generally good to have (except in cases when enemies are all fireproof)
- SMB3 Leaf is generally good to have in SMB3, since the hover helps with platforming and flight and can be used to hit multiple blocks/find stuff in the sky (rendered obsolete when the SMW Cape is involved, though.)
+ Hammer Bro suit is a power trip and a half. Harder to aim the projectile, but takes care of practically any enemy.
- Frog suit is useless in anywhere except water and doing the challenge where you to try to defeat bowser as a frog
- Tanooki Suit's statue function is neat but doesn't do much for ya, kinda a novelty
+ Cape is a really good security tool to have while platforming, has a much better melee attack than Racoon, flight can be used in several ways that don't even need to master its complex mechanics
- Shell (especially in nsmb) janks up your controls and discourages you from running full speed even
- Mini Mushroom gives floatier jumps, but makes hitting enemies much harder to do and you die in one hit
+ Ice Flower is a really nice alternative to the fire flower, having different enemies which are affected by it and having its own mechanics of being able to pick up and throw ice blocks
- Propeller Mushroom is a double jump, but completely takes away your spin jump properties (does so in Super Mario Maker) and forces you into slow descent which is often really awkard
+ Penguin Suit brings the best of both Ice Flower and Frog Suit, throws in a belly flop attack too. Points added for penguins.
- Acorn is an awkward glide, combined with the Propeller Mushroom's awkward descent. It has a double jump too I guess.
- Superballs haha what is this nonsense
- Carrot is a worse racoon which is a worse tanooki
+ Wing Cap WOOSH
- Vanish Cap is nearly useless
- Metal Cap is too
- As are the DS only character caps
+ Rocket Nozzles is fun enough
- Raise your hand if you used the Turbo Nozzle more than twice
- Mega Mushrooms are just Stars that give you 1-ups, LAME
+ Bee Mushrooms are probably the best flying option in a 3D Mario to date
- Boo Mushrooms WOULD be better but the way you move around is kind of weird and you don't use it too much
- Spring Mushroom, no one likes you
+ Galaxy Ice Flower is fun, let's you skate on water and lava, walljump off waterfalls
- Red Stars would be great if you could use them in more than one star and the hub :monstrosity:
+ Mega Stars are more useful than Mushrooms since they give what's basically the game's EXP
- Drills... Are they even powerups? Dumb stage gimmick either way :ehh:
- Rock Mushrooms just make you go in one general direction and knock stuff over fun fun fun
+ Cloud flowers give you three spare platforms
- All the Yoshi-specific powerups in Galaxy 2 are kinda lame, TBH
- Boomerang Flowers are the poor man's Hammer Bros.' Suit
- Gold Flowers... You like Coins, kids? Nintendo does
+ super bell meow meow wall climb time
- Double Cherries are kiiinda useless, even if they're fun to look at
+ Cannons are useful
+ Amiibo Mushrooms give Mario a makeover, keep him small, still count as a free hit, AND let you break bricks
+ Weird Mushrooms = Weege Time

I'm not giving the baby Yoshis or 3D X games cheat items a ranking
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

the only truly good mario powerup is the wing from smb special
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I don't understand what part of today's level was supposed to be "fun"
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

The wing cap in 64 is cool and all but is used like... thrice? and controls like shit from an arse
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago I better see a For the Frog the Bell Tolls joke on the thread title tomorrow
Actually, I considered having a reference to "Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru" in this thread title, but the thing is, it's too short of a game's title to be considered.

(yeah, the thread title gimmick is long game titles, pretty much, i mean, mice's title is so long that raocow doesn't include it in episode titles, it's a bad episode title gimmick, but that's what i went with)
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I would love to know both the level music and the music for the new OW

Also damn, I forgot Hopkin Green Frog was right before the new OW
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

strongbadman wrote: 5 years ago I would love to know both the level music and the music for the new OW
I'm pretty sure the overworld music is the Shiver Star map theme from Kirby 64, albeit heavily different in its atmosphere. It's actually super nice.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

S.N.N. wrote: 5 years ago
strongbadman wrote: 5 years ago I would love to know both the level music and the music for the new OW
I'm pretty sure the overworld music is the Shiver Star map theme from Kirby 64, albeit heavily different in its atmosphere. It's actually super nice.
Level is Gundam Deathscythe's stage (the Port) from Gundam Wing Endless Duel, by Ultima.
Boss is Battle 2 from Xuan-Yuan Sword 3 Legend: The Scar of the Sky by tcdw.
Image Image
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

Like everything else in the game, that Waluigi image is a C3 Winter 2018 resource. It was "released" in this thread.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

okay that's funny
the chillaxest of dragonsImage