(shouting)

ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - World Soccer Winning Eleven 5: Final Frog - 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Super Furcon Sundance for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U - 5

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

y'all really like knuckles chaotix music, huh

(i do too)
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
morsel/morceau

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Kid Hearts 0.2: Birth by Saws - A Fragmentary Everything - 6

Post by morsel/morceau »

In a vertical level, you have to despawn persistent sprites at the side of the screen. The spring-board dropped in the pit would have taken around 20 minutes to wrap around to the top of the level. Thank God no one has ever made a level requiring this.
dont wanna jihad no more
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

morsel/morceau wrote: 5 years ago In a vertical level, you have to despawn persistent sprites at the side of the screen. The spring-board dropped in the pit would have taken around 20 minutes to wrap around to the top of the level. Thank God no one has ever made a level requiring this.
*Kaizo hackers furiously begin taking notes*
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
morsel/morceau wrote: 5 years ago In a vertical level, you have to despawn persistent sprites at the side of the screen. The spring-board dropped in the pit would have taken around 20 minutes to wrap around to the top of the level. Thank God no one has ever made a level requiring this.
As if kaizo hackers nowadays would ever use any SMW engine knowledge other than shelljumps.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
As if kaizo hackers nowadays would ever use any SMW engine knowledge other than shelljumps.
I can't tell which of the above 3 posters are being sarcastic, so here's the be-all end-all to this discussion:

Mosts Awards:
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

ft029 wrote: 5 years ago
Waiting 20 minutes for the springboard is not required though, as that level has more than 1 solution.
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

There have actually been plenty of puzzle levels that make use of that glitch, that wasn't the first one.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Knuckle's Chaotix (&Knuckles) - 6

Post by Awoo »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago y'all really like knuckles chaotix music, huh

(i do too)
What Chaotix lacks in gameplay (though it's ok, not the worst but kinda :ehh: ) it sure makes up for in the soundtrack. Sonic Team used to have some jammin' tunes back in the day
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think the only thing missing from the propeller suit (unless it is there and rao didn't show it off), is pressing the spinjump button in midair to slow your decent even further.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago
CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago y'all really like knuckles chaotix music, huh

(i do too)
What Chaotix lacks in gameplay (though it's ok, not the worst but kinda :ehh: ) it sure makes up for in the soundtrack. Sonic Team used to have some jammin' tunes back in the day
They still do actually!

Chaotix has the same issue CD and from what I've heard, Lost World and Forces (haven't played em yet) both have, which is that they're perfectly playable games, they're just not good Sonic games.

Not to be confused with Heroes, Shadow, 06 and Rise of Lyric's issue of being both bad games and bad Sonic games.

The ultimate Sonic game is still

Sonic 2 Special Edition

, though.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Re: im doubleposting

Post by KobaBeach »

Samuel, I'm pretty sure you're not being (very) terrible, I just think green mice is kinda questionable lmao

I'm pretty sure this Spinia sprite was included in my box for MaGL2 but like i had no idea how to use Romi's SpriteTool and that's why my stage had no gimmick outside of "bad background and unfunny epic meme jokes haha xd". I need to hang out with K3fka again.

also the spinia dropping like lead instead of like a normal sprite pisses me off

Non-Euclidean is pretty epic for the fucking win, could have toned down the difficulty though haha
I miss playing Castlevania

EDIT: hey morsel i think you pissed someone off
Image Image
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Oof. That one jump in the first half of the first level raocow kept dying on was interesting to watch. If that were a koopa, he'd have no trouble at all, but because a gimmick exists, I guess he feels like he has to use it?

Just...don't use the dude as a spring, the first bounce was fine.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago EDIT: hey morsel i think you pissed someone off
I can't help but feel like this guy lines up too well with the whole Christchurch ordeal ...
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Ah, the vicious cycle

1. fuck up something minor
2. beat yourself up over it
3. negative attitude inhibits ability
4. go to 1
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Here is the story of little green mice.

idol posted a baserom and asked us to make levels. I, an unconscious saboteur, choose the one sprite that was included with this rom which hadn't been released at the c3. (Why it was included, I can't say.) So initially this level undermined the entire premise of our rom hack. It was left to 'aesthetic bitch' idol to make the level approximately relevant by giving it c3-topical graphics and music, and the word mice was added to the level name to give it a spurious appearance of belonging.

The spinia sprite had apparently been on smwcentral for some years but had basic problems. Sometimes, when you jumped on it, it hurt you. When you froze the game by collecting a mushroom, it would splatter graphic tiles over the whole screen. I tried to fix these issues, but, since I know bugger all about sprite coding, I probably didn't fully succeed.
:gravytea:
Last edited by morsel/morceau 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
dont wanna jihad no more
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Kid Hearts 0.2: Birth by Jaws - A Fragmentary Everything - 6

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago The ultimate Sonic game is still

Sonic 2 Special Edition

, though.
Funny way to spell "Sonic 3 Complete" nyoro~n
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

Can someone please tell me what the song in non-euclidian spin is because it's beautiful.

The second half of non-euclidian spin is probably one of my favorite parts of the game, the first half is a bit annoying though.

Green mice is kind of an obnoxious level but eh it's alright.
:trans_pride:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow don't kid yourself. That first level actually looked pretty hard. Sure you made some blunders, but the maneuvers you had to pull didn't look easy either.

Maybe you just got used to sailing through the hack?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
KobaBeach

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Shin Megami Tensei: Mice Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Spin - 7

Post by KobaBeach »

Sanct wrote: 5 years ago Can someone please tell me what the song in non-euclidian spin is because it's beautiful.
Cemetery by Wakana, a remix of Clockwork from Castlevania: Circle of the Moon.

Awoo wrote:
KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago The ultimate Sonic game is still

Sonic 2 Special Edition

, though.
Funny way to spell "Sonic 3 Complete" nyoro~n
http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete
I'm a bit of a purist, so I prefer playing the original S3&K, warts and all. Compare this to raocow's insistence in playing the earliest release of each Mega Man game until text began actually mattering.

S2SE is one of my favorite LPs for how it pretty much deconstructs and satirizes the whole format as well as the history of the Sonic franchise, it's really fucking good. If you are or were a Sonic fan, you should give it a watch.

CW: Tails is made gay as kind of a joke and the word f*gg*try is used in the Make Your Own Video video. There's a few minor jokes about black people in there too, but docfuture is black himself so I don't think there should be a problem there. Warning anyways.

morsel/morceau wrote: The spinia sprite had apparently been on smwcentral for some years but had basic problems. Sometimes, when you jumped on it, it hurt you. When you froze the game by collecting a mushroom, it would splatter graphic tiles over the whole screen. I tried to fix these issues, but, since I know bugger all about sprite coding, I probably didn't fully succeed.
:gravytea:
K3fka like, admits himself that he was not very good at coding 65c816 ASM, haha.

A lot of SMWC ASM ran on the rule of "if it works, it's good enough", which is made worse by the lack of 65c816 ASM and Super Mario World code documentation on the site (SMWDisC is a goddamned mess, it needs to be replaced entirely or at the very least, completely re-commentated), lack of promotion of good coding practices and lack of ASM coders in the first place. A lot of people are deterred from trying anything beyond insertion tools and Lunar Magic due to their complicated nature and last I was there, there was a bit of a small, subconscious mentality to keep newbie hackers as far away from complicated ASM as possible to avoid "discouraging" them.

It honestly hurts hacks the most as using exclusively vanilla (with the occasional most commonly used assets on the site) requires a lot more creativity and skill to actually have your hack's levels stand out from the rest, resulting in the huge amount of "generic choconilla" and "generic kaizo" I sarcastically "complained" about a page back or so (I'm past that, promise). There's nothing wrong with making "just another Mario hack" or "following the leader" as a past-time, it's just that without fresh level ideas or new spins on old gimmicks, there won't be a lot to attract potential players, and it will just cause your skills to stagnate. Like it or not, romhacking is still tightly related to game design.

I hope this isn't discouraging to the common hacker, I'd just like to see more people try to come up with less "safe" ideas for their romhacks, cater to niches, toy with stuff that isn't commonly accepted. mice and JUMP are excellent portrayals of that, even if they don't exactly interest me that much. Romhacking should be free from the perfectionist standards of commercial gaming and be a place to explore less traditional, more unconventional ideas. Much like indie games, romhacking is by the people, for the people. It is the anarcho-communism of gaming. Romhacking is art, and we shouldn't be afraid to try new things, even if we're not exactly "good at it".

i have opinions on romhacks and goddamnit youre gonna listen to them
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Far be it from me to say anything about anything SMW-gameplay-related after the video's already been uploaded, but I think the coin-trail short jumps in the first level were intended to be made by the full height the player gets the first time they land on the enemy (before it turns into a spring). At the very least, it looked to my untrained eye to be the perfect height to fit under the ceiling spikes both times it was relevant.
Qualidea Code Wiki wrote:Asuha Chigusa (千種 明日葉, Chigusa Asuha) is the head of Chiba City. Asuha is Kasumi’s younger sister. Normally, she is a lethargic everyday daughter, but on occasion when she grabs hold of a gun, she becomes trigger happy. Her weapons of choice are dual wield guns. As for her ability, she is able to control how objects move.
Somehow not surprising. Shame about this yutz, the original Asuha looks pretty cute and almost certainly deserves better representation.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Shin Megami Tensei: Mice Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha Vs The Soulless Spin - 7

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

green mice was kinda funky, but at least it's got my favorite chaotix song in it, which is now the only thing i will talk about in this thread
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

ahh my favorite game of "spot the alt-right chud"

also sonic 2 special edition is one of the best LP's ever, I've watched through it more than a few times over the years
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Man, I love the Clockwork melody. Interesting levels today.
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - zankoku na tenshi no you ni shounen yo shinwa ni nare - 7

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago
I'm a bit of a purist, so I prefer playing the original S3&K, warts and all. Compare this to raocow's insistence in playing the earliest release of each Mega Man game until text began actually mattering.

S2SE is one of my favorite LPs for how it pretty much deconstructs and satirizes the whole format as well as the history of the Sonic franchise, it's really fucking good. If you are or were a Sonic fan, you should give it a watch.
Totally off topic but:
I'll honestly take vanilla Sonic 3 over S3&K since I like a ton of things that vanilla Sonic 3 has over S3&K, mainly the music (miniboss, Super Saiyan Sonic, and a few others), as well as the fact that there's the super powerful ultra-mega final boss thingy at the end of Launch Base 2 but is totally left out of S3&K unless you're playing as Knuckles for some reason.
Playing S3 vanilla also made me really appreciate just HOW MANY special stage huge rings there are. It's possible to easily get all 7 emeralds by Hydro City 2. Ftw!
Another case of "one-more-level" today, eh?
Neat gimmicks, but, man, frustrating! :catplanet:

I guess tomorrow will be the final level(s)? Shame it's such a short hack.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I had S&K Collection as a kid, so i'm more fond of seeing that vs the original myself
KobaBeach wrote: S2SE
that's not sonic suggests at all /s

Also, what was the 1 level raocow was supposed to not like? I thought someone told him there would be a level he would not like
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB