(shouting)

ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - World Soccer Winning Eleven 5: Final Frog - 9

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - My Garbage Baller Wakes Clinic UP at 3am Every Heart - 3

Post by KobaBeach »

that's what we call separating the wheat from chaff
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

morsel/morceau wrote: 5 years ago I think trepenation clinic was one of my favourite levels simply because a lazy designer, such as I, would look at these sprites for a few minutes before discarding them as unusable, but a Lazy designer knows better and is able to construct a delightfully fresh and appealing level with them.
n~yoron :slow:
Yeah for real, like if someone had come up with the concept and implemented the sprite in a less shoddy way I would've been super impressed by it. Like I'm super impressed by the way it was used here but the behaviour itself is pretty neat even if it was apparently unintentional lmao
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Apparently the thing about the Snailicorn is that in the original game they were just Bully-type enemies that hurt Mario when they bump into him

So Tsutarja's version isn't even accurate nyoro~n

Sorry for posting too much on here
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

AuraLancer wrote: 5 years ago I appreciate the current topic title reference
I totally forgot about random week, and it's making me think there should be one last one before Flash is completely removed from Chrome and I assume other browsers (next year?)
Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago The amount of times raocow forgets what each block does in this hack is beyond frustrating.
To this day I cannot immediately parse on-sight how sprite only and reverse sprite-only blocks will interact with Mario and various sprites. It's kinda tricky, cause they look different in every hack, and are so infrequent across hacking in general that you never really get used to them.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I was also quite impressed with trepenation clinic. BALLER on the other hand was frustrating for me, although honestly the super ball sprite is so awful, and frozenquills did the most creative things he could.

Also some devcom on my levels-- initially, russianman's beef-grinding grinder was so powerful that it'd grind itself to death. The sprite has lots of janky potential (it can destroy whatever sprites you choose, such as falling platforms).

Oh and the giant footballs, another russianman sprite that was modified. They're the only good footballs in my opinion. raocow cheesed the puzzle right before the midpoint, where the intended solution is to feed the yoshi, and then drop the football so it bounces (read: hammers) on top of the grown yoshi.
Mosts Awards:
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Lazy_ wrote: 5 years ago On that particular C3, someone called Tsutarja released a slew of custom sprites, all of which were borderline unusable. Naturally, I took it upon myself to make a level using the most ridiculous sprite of the bunch, and this was the result.
The way you worded this made me laugh so hard.

That said, it was an excellent level. Good job!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Today, raocow forgets the boomerang properties of his weapon.

The arrows pointing left were supposed to tell you to shoot left.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Hey man if you screw up it's cool, there's a reset

JUST KIDDING IT'S A BOTTOMLESS PIT YOU FOOL!!! *mlg airhorn noises*
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Aaaaa A Aaaa AA Aaa AAA Aa AAAAAA Reckless Disregard For Instinct - 4

Post by Lazy_ »

Well that was a bit unfortunate lol. Here's a video showcasing the intended solutions to all parts:

At least raocow understood that have to throw the shell upwards at 1:40. A bunch of twitch streamers just kinda missed the green coins & block and assumed that you had to do a shell jump (that's what playing too many kaizo hacks does to you, kids).
This was made by worldpeace, by the way. Unfortunately, due to the rush we were in to get this hack done, this level didn't quite get the polish it deserved.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Mata Hari

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ - Aaaaa A Aaaa AA Aaa AAA Aa AAAAAA Reckless Disregard For Instinct - 4

Post by Mata Hari »

It is pretty raocow that dude managed to devise two 'wrong' solutions that kept both Pokeys alive, and both Pokeys were exactly necessary to hit the sprite limit
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

raocow wrote:I'm not sure what "Homing Instinct" means though, what does it refer to? Like, nothing homed.
:thinking:

I think the biggest problem is that a lot of the levels in this hack really want you to figure out how different custom powerups and sprites work on your own instead of doing a proper tutorial.

If you just never discover certain aspects of a custom powerup, things can go awry very fast - like we've seen in today's video.

Though to be fair to the level, there was an attempt to convey the homing mechanic to the player in the message box at the very beginning of the stage: "When you see an arrow pointing left, throw a boomerang in that direction." In the end I'll have to go with Lazy's assessment that the entire thing was just... unfortunate.
this is getting laundromatic
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

It was clearly intended to have a forced tutorial start with how hard it was for rao to hit the chuck normaly.
Unfortunately when he "learned" that normal throwing wasn't working, his reverse throw despawned at the screen border.(i think)
And then the jail wasn't robust enough, allowing him to break out using the 'wrong' throw.

So yeah, time based lack of polish; old nemesis we meet again.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

ahh, scream screening, we meet again
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I don't know whether to be amused or sad that raocow managed to completely and utterly forget that upward throws are a thing for a long time :( I blame SMB3, and SMBX making upward throws practically unusable!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

That looked like a lot of fun (aside from the rando death pit in place of a reset pit). For all that other peeps have spoken less glowingly about them, I'm impressed by the quality of the puzzle levels so far, particularly given the circumstances.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I don't know what's wrong about raocow being confused for a few minutes. Being confused is one of the greatest joys of video-gaming, or, when watching raocow, vicarious video-gaming. I thought performing all the intended manoeuvres in Homing Instinct was tremendous fun, even if you could avoid doing most of them. The other great thing about this level was that it was a worldpeace level so has enough ideas in it to furnish material for at least half a dozen knock-off levels by mere mortals (I know of three of these so far).
n~yoron :pal:
dont wanna jihad no more
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I honestly didn't like Uber Homing Instinct and honestly the lack of polish really shows.

Some extra time in the oven would have helped the stage immensely. I'm not surprised it's made by worldpeace, though.
Considering its exploitation of less known mechanics, I don't really blame raocow for being a dumbass in today's video.
furcon 2018 is going to be "fun"
ft029 wrote:initially, russianman's beef-grinding grinder was so powerful that it'd grind itself to death.
SMWC Quality™!

But seriously, I just checked and apparently he had to transfer Y (the sprite being interacted with) to X (which is normally used for the sprite being processed) because of restraints about how custom sprite checking in ST/PIXI works?

He worked around it by adding a quick check to see if the sprite being killed has the same custom sprite number as itself, which makes it so that it can't kill itself if it runs into itself, but hey everyone has to make sacrifices lmao

morsel/morceau wrote:I don't know what's wrong about raocow being confused for a few minutes. Being confused is one of the greatest joys of video-gaming, or, when watching raocow, vicarious video-gaming.
i mean yeah that's why people play SaGa and Digimon World
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

raocow doesn't need those silly "intended" solutions. His brain is too big to be contained by the restraints of a puzzle.
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ -DMYYYYYYYYY DMYYYYYYYYY DMYYYYYYY ANGEL CONFETTIS FOR ALL - 4

Post by Awoo »

Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years ago raocow doesn't need those silly "intended" solutions. His brain is too big to be contained by the restraints of a puzzle.
I derive much joy in watching raocow solve puzzles in ways that the developers didn't necessarily intend for said puzzle to be solved. It's super neat :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago
Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years ago raocow doesn't need those silly "intended" solutions. His brain is too big to be contained by the restraints of a puzzle.
I derive much joy in watching raocow solve puzzles in ways that the developers didn't necessarily intend for said puzzle to be solved. It's super neat :catplanet:
Until he comes to a part where his made-up solution doesn't work anymore, but he never learned the intended mechanic, so he get's stuck (and possibly rages)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I think every single obstacle was done in an unintended way. At every obstacle I was like "raocow has to figure out the intended solution now, there's no way", and he always manages to surprise me.
Mosts Awards:
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
Awoo wrote: 5 years ago
Until he comes to a part where his made-up solution doesn't work anymore, but he never learned the intended mechanic, so he get's stuck (and possibly rages)
That's true... ragecow isn't fun at all :ehh:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

ft029 wrote: 5 years ago I think every single obstacle was done in an unintended way. At every obstacle I was like "raocow has to figure out the intended solution now, there's no way", and he always manages to surprise me.
samwell ronco tarly is not your average human being
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Lazy_ wrote: 5 years ago At least raocow understood that have to throw the shell upwards at 1:40. A bunch of twitch streamers just kinda missed the green coins & block and assumed that you had to do a shell jump (that's what playing too many kaizo hacks does to you, kids).
I 100% thought he was supposed to do a shell jump too