(shouting)

Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
CM30

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Countdown to Destruction

Post by CM30 »

Well, the final video is out, and raocow's comments on the game are basically the same as mine on why people here/raocow aren't enjoying it as much. It's a great tech showcase, but the level design is pretty basic and the ideas presented are fairly typical for a Mario fanwork. Which is fine for a new ROM hack player, but less exciting for someone with a lot of experience with them.

Kinda like the New Super Mario Bros series really. If you're new to the Mario series, they're awesome. The level design tropes and cliches are still fresh for you, the aesthetics aren't samey yet and the difficulty level is just right for someone starting out. On the other hand if you're a long time player, they're kind of a cake walk, and they don't do anything you haven't really seen done elsewhere/better before.

Still, it was worth playing, and the tech has opened the way for that interesting Mario Adventure sequel that's in development right now, so it's not worth focusing too much on the negatives here.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

Post by Veruchai »

Yeah,
To add a bit of positivity, I generally quite liked sunshine and galaxy world.
It was funny seeing it replicate the feeling of them when the actual 3d level design wasn't available.
Stuff like the vines and goop; it didn't make a real difference on gameplay but was just enjoyable.
World 0 was also pretty nice and thematic.
Thinking back I also liked seeing the gao and sm2 flavor stuff.

Most of the level design was pretty rompy which I feel is probably more fun in short bursts.
Ironically maybe if the hack was shorter it would have gone over better.
It had its moments.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So, anyone have good suggestions for a SMB2 hack rao can LP?

Super Paper Mario is best described as a 2d Mario platformer with a (good) plot. Which Myamoto says isn't possible.

But next time: A mario hack which has in my opinion a terrible name. Wah?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago So, anyone have good suggestions for a SMB2 hack rao can LP?
My understanding is that SMB2 hacking is even more non-existant than SMB3 hacking.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

At least we got "ultraviolent rays" in video 32, that was a good line
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago But next time: A mario hack which has in my opinion a terrible name. Wah?
The single best named hack out there :pal:
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Maybe terrible was the wrong word to use. I should have said 'horrible sounding'.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The next hack is legitimately one of the best I've ever seen/played so that is going to be ROCKIN'
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe terrible was the wrong word to use. I should have said 'horrible sounding'.
That's basically saying the same thing?

Anyway, I'm still glad for this LP, but next one sounds particularly interesting.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

There's a difference. I mean, what kind of visual do you get when you read that title?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Sebby19 wrote: There's a difference. I mean, what kind of visual do you get when you read that title?
putting mice in one's head and beating said head with a hammer then letting the mice back out.

I'm excited. I've heard good things about the hack, and it feels like a sign of an experienced and confident designer to let that particular flavor take the lead in the title of your game.