(shouting)

Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the bowser killings

Post by Sebby19 »

What would be more impressive is if you beat the Lost Levels without the infinite life trick at the start.

I wonder if those levels will appear in this hack.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

No description today, only time stamps, wow. :kood:
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That's been happening a few times already, across the current LPs.

You getting lazy, there?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I get the impression he's more frazzled than lazy, but in this specific case I mean... there's not much to say about "more SMB levels and some fish"
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah, if I have nothing to say I'd rather not say anything than just filler
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

You should come up with level names
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - around the mario in 4 days

Post by Leet »

title save post

this game really does get better i'm pretty sure 0_0 that shy guy room was just :effort:

it's like the designer restricted himself to the level he's imitating in terms of geometry but not in terms of assets
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Onionkid Strikes Again: SMB

Post by Darkonius64 »

One of the major issues in this hack (other than the very slow intro into the properly new stuff) is slowdown, most of the levels in this hack suffer from it, it's mostly because the og smb3 never had too many entities on screen at once, since the way smb3 was programmed is different from how smb1/smb2 handled things, so ofc smb3 chugs on more enemy-heavy games like smb1 and smb2, since smb3 focused way more on the actual platforming, rather than the enemy placement...

If i make sense? I remember a video i saw explaining this better than i did, lol
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

This game honestly feels like a polished Mario Bootleg in many ways, especially, I find, with the end of level music.
All it's missing is some

GRAND DAD

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Darkonius64 wrote: 5 years ago One of the major issues in this hack (other than the very slow intro into the properly new stuff) is slowdown, most of the levels in this hack suffer from it, it's mostly because the og smb3 never had too many entities on screen at once, since the way smb3 was programmed is different from how smb1/smb2 handled things, so ofc smb3 chugs on more enemy-heavy games like smb1 and smb2, since smb3 focused way more on the actual platforming, rather than the enemy placement...

If i make sense? I remember a video i saw explaining this better than i did, lol
There's also the fact that this is an NES game. The NES doesn't have a whole lot of power, so if anything is not very optimized, slowdown gets everywhere.

Even Mario 1 and 2 were generally careful about having too many sprites going on.
Any programming snippet that's poorly optimized can have a big impact on the resources being used. See: Mega Man 3's original version, which has a bit of a slowdown problem. A ROMhack manages to optimize it.
video games
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - sayonara sakana-sensei

Post by Classtoise »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Just make original levels styled after mario 1...?
Not much of a tribute if you make your own content.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Leet

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - birdo and the green kid

Post by Leet »

Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago
Not much of anything if you didn't actually make anything

Presenting my tribute to the mona lisa: a 1:1 accurate forgery of the mona lisa. Very interesting and tribunal. Come off it, the concept of homage and tribute has been done in creative ways thousands of times and we've all seen it, there's no need to pretend that I Put Blocks What They Were In Mario 1 is literally the best the author could have done
Last edited by Leet 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the real smb3mix starts here

Post by FourteenthOrder »

˙ʇol ɐ ʇᴉ ǝʞᴉl I ˙lǝʌǝl ʇɐɥʇ ʇnoqɐ ʇoƃɹoɟ ʎlǝʇǝldɯoɔ I
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3&WALLMIX - the real smb3mix starts here

Post by Awoo »

So world 0 is basically this game's Zebra Space?
(

This game needs more Demo and Friends

)
:gravytea:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

The game finally shows some creativity! Which is pretty fucking awesome, even if it did break once or twice.
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I feel like hacks/levels like this need more twist than homage to be interesting.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

This guy knew how to make upside down gravity and he started with a 1-1 remake??
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago This guy knew how to make upside down gravity and he started with a 1-1 remake??
Yes.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago
Not much of anything if you didn't actually make anything

Presenting my tribute to the mona lisa: a 1:1 accurate forgery of the mona lisa. Very interesting and tribunal. Come off it, the concept of homage and tribute has been done in creative ways thousands of times and we've all seen it, there's no need to pretend that I Put Blocks What They Were In Mario 1 is literally the best the author could have done
You left out the part where Mario 3 is a different engine with different graphics, different enemies, different physics, different gimmicks, etc. So it's more like "This is my tribute to the Mona Lisa, only using a different style, different type of paints, and different coloring".

Like I get that you're tired of 1-1 Tributes or whatever but it really just feels like you want to rag on the game for something, but "It's a perfectly serviceable if not completely original or unique Mario 3 romhack" wasn't enough.

And it's not just you. This game is getting a lot of hate and I have no idea why. Like yeah sure Mario 1 remakes are a bit tiresome sure, but be honest, when do you see Mario 2 tributes in games that's more than "Hey we put a Shy Guy in the game I guess"?
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago This guy knew how to make upside down gravity and he started with a 1-1 remake??
Yes.
I suppose the author's never heard the phrase "lead with your strengths"
Leet

Post by Leet »

Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago Like I get that you're tired of 1-1 Tributes or whatever but it really just feels like you want to rag on the game for something, but "It's a perfectly serviceable if not completely original or unique Mario 3 romhack" wasn't enough.
You're right, I'm being disingenuous, it's all part of my politically motivated anti-3mix agenda. Is it really that incomprehensible that somebody might just, you know, have criticisms of a game? I shouldn't have to keep repeating "I like this game" for my criticisms to be accepted, but I'll do that right now anyway. I don't think it's that terrible that it starts out with a pretty boring world 1, because there is a novelty to it as you said, but I do find it ridiculous that yall are defending it under the premise of "he literally couldn't have referenced mario 1 in any other way". I should have just responded to you with a link to Superb Demo Sisters which is a very high-quality easily-recognizable mario 1 tribute full-size game with all original levels in a different engine.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years agoThis guy knew how to make upside down gravity and he started with a 1-1 remake??
Yes.
Because going full ham on ASM from the word go has worked out so well for others.

read: It doesn't matter how wonderful the ASM is if the level design sucks. I get that it's tiring to see recreations all over the place (I wasn't expecting two worlds' worth of level recreations), but here they have a valid purpose - to help the player acclimate to all the funky new stuff. Hopefully there's solid level design once we hit original content.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raekuul wrote: 5 years agoHopefully there's solid level design once we hit original content.
My understanding (having not played it) is that it's not so much "original content", but moreso "interpretations of games that can't be directly translated into mario 3"
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet

Post by Leet »

raekuul wrote: 5 years agoBecause going full ham on ASM from the word go has worked out so well for others.

read: It doesn't matter how wonderful the ASM is if the level design sucks. I get that it's tiring to see recreations all over the place (I wasn't expecting two worlds' worth of level recreations), but here they have a valid purpose - to help the player acclimate to all the funky new stuff. Hopefully there's solid level design once we hit original content.
This seems like a bizarre description of cause and effect here. Your level design doesn't become worse because you put fancy things in it earlier rather than later. If their design is good, they can just show us instead of not designing anything. If it isn't, it's not going to be better by staving it off. But the design is honestly fine.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

raekuul wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years agoYes.
Because going full ham on ASM from the word go has worked out so well for others.

What new stuff requires so much acclimation? For the most part so far it's just a few new enemies recreated from other games, and it's totally possible to introduce those in a different way. Like, you don't *need* to introduce the concept of Shy Guys with an exact SMB2 1-1 recreation.

Like was mentioned, Superb Demo Sisters is a good example of levels that are clearly SMB1-inspired without taking any actual design from the base game directly. It's totally doable.

This game is super fun and has a ton of cool ASM, but I really wish it would have done more taking-inspiration rather than taking-level-design. It would have been all the better for that imo.