(shouting)

Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the real smb3mix starts here

Post by Grounder »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years ago What new stuff requires so much acclimation? For the most part so far it's just a few new enemies recreated from other games, and it's totally possible to introduce those in a different way. Like, you don't *need* to introduce the concept of Shy Guys with an exact SMB2 1-1 recreation.

Like was mentioned, Superb Demo Sisters is a good example of levels that are clearly SMB1-inspired without taking any actual design from the base game directly. It's totally doable.

This game is super fun and has a ton of cool ASM, but I really wish it would have done more taking-inspiration rather than taking-level-design. It would have been all the better for that imo.
Almost as if SDS and 3mix had two completely different goals in mind, and you want to compare apples to tomatoes.

They might look kind of similar at first glance, but it's pretty obvious that they're not after a single bite.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - subcone

Post by Leet »

"It's impossible to pay tribute to something without copying it wholesale" "No it isn't" <-This is the conversation you are replying to, stop moving the point around.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I won't stop being a dissenting opinion, Leet. If you think we're arguing in circles, that's one thing, but the impression I'm getting is that you just want me to shut up.

And no, it isn't possible to be a tribute that's accurate while also trying to be a clone centered around new level design at the exact same time.

EDIT: Since this is bound to come up in later worlds, I feel that 3mix's philosophy is accuracy until accuracy is no longer possible.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Still, the game does get more interesting and creative in its level design further in.

Partly because you physically can't replicate Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy on the NES without taking major liberties with the design, and partly because the author stops trying to do recreations of existing levels and mixes a lot more interesting ideas together.
As for the other topics here:

1. Yes you can have interesting level design with lots of creative ASM style gimmicks right off the bat, heck that's arguably what four step level design is in Mario 3D World onwards (and the Donkey Kong Country games from Returns onwards). Those games obviously got a fair bit fancier as they went on, but they didn't exactly start out without any interesting ideas.

I mean, this was in world 1 after all:

The only reason certain other games didn't have interesting 'gimmicks' and good level off the bat is because they either A: decided to focus more on making an ASM showcase, and put little effort into the level design or B: learnt more about programming as they worked on the game and didn't go back to edit the earlier levels.

2. You can also obviously make levels that represent other games and pay homage to them without being carbon copies or remakes too. Super Mario Bros 1X and 3X did this quite well. Hell, 3Mix does it, just later in the game.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago "It's impossible to pay tribute to something without copying it wholesale" "No it isn't" <-This is the conversation you are replying to, stop moving the point around.
Yeah, this is what I was saying, so the reply to my "no it isn't" with "these games have different goals" was kind of bewildering to me, I had to double-check that I didn't miss something. ^^;
Thanks.
Sorryyyyy
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I also had a reply typed out that pointed out the exact same thing as Leet but I didn't post it because I was kinda bored of the argument.

But "I won't stop being a dissenting opinion" is such a comically strange non-argument that I figured I should say that now. In other words, 3 people all came to the conclusion that you changed what you're arguing, and when someone pointed it out you started acting like a martyr. Nothing about Leet's post could be interpreted as trying to shut you up, I have no idea what gave you that idea other than that you were backed into a corner and are arguing just for the sake of arguing.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - subcool

Post by Awoo »

Poeple don"t liek gaems
Peoople doo laik gamez
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

I don't think anyone here actually dislikes this game, which is pretty key to the point here about genuine vs. ungenuine arguments. (I don't know about YT comments.) We're actually already getting into more interesting stuff right now, but up until now there hasn't been too much else to talk about.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, no, this game is super fun. I started replaying it because of this~
I just find style references more interesting than straight remakes on a personal level, and think they're very doable.

(Also I'm a little worried that the remake-heavy nature of things is making things not that fun for raocow since he's played this sorta stuff a lot. Hopefully I'm wrong there, I've just gotten that feeling to some degree with some of his comments. :c)
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - extremely accurate mario 3 tribute

Post by Voltgloss »

i mean, i get the idea behind the "wrong" off-key music. and goddamn is it effective. maybe too effective. my ears, they bleed.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I think the music sounds really good :sparklythings:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm curious what technique was used for this music, if the author manually modified the notes randomly, or if every note was shifted by a certain amount in a certain direction relative to its original note value.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I'm starting to jive a little more with the game itself but uhhhhhh i actively hate everything about the music in today's video
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

calling a lot of what I've experienced in world 3 inspired by mario land 2 is pushing it a bit, other than some of the tile sets and that one monster enemy
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - extremely accurate mario land 2 tribute

Post by Awoo »

I wonder if this game will have Bumptys, a-la this:

woo hoo, JUST WHAT I NEEDED

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

The music continues to be super weird by being just different enough from tracks I remember. ...I think I kinda like the effect it has though? Or maybe it has just scrambled my brain into thinking that.
Leet

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - haunted smb3 cart

Post by Leet »

title (watching new one now)
freshtalk

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the joke is it's not a ghost house it's a normal house

Post by freshtalk »

Love Bowser Jr's school theater project.
warpio

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the joke is it's not a ghost house it's a normal house

Post by warpio »

I wonder if it was a specific design choice to have the SMB2 recap levels feel so inaccurate in a lot of places. The game starts off giving you nearly pixel-perfect SMB1 remakes, and then in the SMB2 world it starts to mix things up a bit and the level design becomes more loose with how it represents the original game... and then when it gets to SML2, it just completely throws out the notion of levels being remakes at all anymore and it's only remixing some of the game's themes while doing more original levels.

It's almost like the game is evolving in its level design creativity at the same rate that the Mario series evolves. or idk maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I'm fully expecting this dinosaur world to be its own thing as well with pretty much none of it attempting to recreate SMW levels.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

warpio wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if it was a specific design choice to have the SMB2 recap levels feel so inaccurate in a lot of places. The game starts off giving you nearly pixel-perfect SMB1 remakes, and then in the SMB2 world it starts to mix things up a bit and the level design becomes more loose with how it represents the original game... and then when it gets to SML2, it just completely throws out the notion of levels being remakes at all anymore and it's only remixing some of the game's themes while doing more original levels.

It's almost like the game is evolving in its level design creativity at the same rate that the Mario series evolves. or idk maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I'm fully expecting this dinosaur world to be its own thing as well with pretty much none of it attempting to recreate SMW levels.
wait until you see the next world.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

That boss actually looked pretty fun. Probably the best part of the hack so far IMO.

Also, I find it amusing that the ghost house in ghost world went for a double negative and ended up being the only straightforward level with no ghosty enemies.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

warpio wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if it was a specific design choice to have the SMB2 recap levels feel so inaccurate in a lot of places. The game starts off giving you nearly pixel-perfect SMB1 remakes, and then in the SMB2 world it starts to mix things up a bit and the level design becomes more loose with how it represents the original game... and then when it gets to SML2, it just completely throws out the notion of levels being remakes at all anymore and it's only remixing some of the game's themes while doing more original levels.

That's the case for many hacks, though. If the creator makes the levels from 1-1 to 8-4 (or whatever) in chronological order, then their quality and sophistication will evolve as the player progresses through the game. I think 8 Powers was a recent example for that.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I feel it was a real missed opportunity that they didn't create 8-bit Yoshi for the SMB1 and 3 styles in Super Mario Maker (and have Goomba's Shoe/Stilleto for SMW and NSMB).

But with Super Mario Maker 2 being announced yesterday, hopefully that gets fixed.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - worldmix

Post by Leet »

All the remade World elements (all three of them) are pretty novel just because it's an nes game