(shouting)

Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

Post by AmeijinMayo »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago I think making a subforum is just going to make it more inconvenient. If you have something to add to a thread or need to bump it up, you would need to have it manually moved again instead of just posting in it. Sometimes threads get necroed because raocow is returning to a game after an update, or simply because there's something new about the game.

If we really wanted to, we could just have a LP list thread that links to other threads. Probably implemented via a solution other than making a new pinned topic in the let's play forum since we have enough of those already.
I like it, good thinking ano! This would be a great way for things to be sorted.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

YelseyKing wrote: 5 years ago Personally, I think people have started taking the "LP thread host" role *far* too seriously. The only thing the person who made the thread should do is put a list of videos up. There doesn't need to be any kind of grand ceremony, or acknowledgement as "The One True Hint Giver". It's just a thread to discuss a guy who plays video games.

That said... I had a thought. Would it be a good idea to have a special sub-forum of this one just as an archive of the many, many threads for raocow's LPs? Most of them are never revisited (and can easily be moved back to the main LP forum if need be), and I thought it might be nice to have them all in one handy location, not mixed in with other peoples' LP threads, for easier searching. Thoughts?
Is there a way to make raocow lp threads visually distinct, like a different coloured thread title or something?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago Perhaps it is worth having two separate discussions, then:

* What is and is not permissible
* What should be done if non-permissible posts are made

I think the answer to the second issue is rather obvious, because there is literally nothing regular forum users can do to stop such behavior, but if staff decline to sign on to such a thing, then having the first discussion is utterly pointless.
I will readily admit to being the second-most self-obsessed person on this web sight, but I think the fact that (a) the above was never addressed by anyone in a position to do anything about the problem this thread was made to try solving, and (b) discussion has since moved on to something else unrelated is a pretty good indication of whether or not this problem will actually get solved.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
YelseyKing wrote: 5 years ago Personally, I think people have started taking the "LP thread host" role *far* too seriously. The only thing the person who made the thread should do is put a list of videos up. There doesn't need to be any kind of grand ceremony, or acknowledgement as "The One True Hint Giver". It's just a thread to discuss a guy who plays video games.

That said... I had a thought. Would it be a good idea to have a special sub-forum of this one just as an archive of the many, many threads for raocow's LPs? Most of them are never revisited (and can easily be moved back to the main LP forum if need be), and I thought it might be nice to have them all in one handy location, not mixed in with other peoples' LP threads, for easier searching. Thoughts?
Is there a way to make raocow lp threads visually distinct, like a different coloured thread title or something?
I'm not actually sure. I know the small forum I host, also phpBB, allows you to designate an icon for a thread, but that feature seems to be disabled on Talkhaus. If it was there, we could denote raothreads with :rao:
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago
I will readily admit to being the second-most self-obsessed person on this web sight, but I think the fact that (a) the above was never addressed by anyone in a position to do anything about the problem this thread was made to try solving, and (b) discussion has since moved on to something else unrelated is a pretty good indication of whether or not this problem will actually get solved.
I would guess that mods would be doing what they've been doing - if things that are too spoilerish are brought to their attention, they can add spoiler tags to them, and warn if there's a repeated pattern.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I feel like this thread wouldn't exist at all if what had been done previously was adequate, though.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It kinda was, this thread mostly exists because we didn't want to put our complaining in the LP threads ( o _ o )
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

It was adequate in almost all cases, because most people are fine after a mod warns them. This thread is partly helpful to talk about the exceptions, and partly helpful just to clarify our ideas and raise awareness, so hopefully/theoretically we'll need a few fewer future mod warnings.

a few fewer future
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote: 5 years agoI'm not actually sure. I know the small forum I host, also phpBB, allows you to designate an icon for a thread, but that feature seems to be disabled on Talkhaus. If it was there, we could denote raothreads with :rao:
If you mods would happen to have some form of access to a custom stylesheet for the side then you could do it in a kinda hacky way like this:

Code: Select all

a[href$="t=17517"] { 
    color: aqua;
}
which gives this result:

It'd require you to add each and every thread in to the stylesheet manually but it'd work.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

To be honest... I've been getting a little concerned about information overload in the Megaman thread too. There are some cases of dumping preemptive info and I feel that maybe those should have spoiler tags.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, that scans.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ain't me this time.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

It was him this time.

Next time someone who's been a repeat offender of spoiling and backseating -- to the point of being called out in an LP by raocow himself -- spoils or backseats something, instead of giving them an out by telling them "hey you just spoiled X different things" so they can remove some of the spoilers, contest the others and get off with a slap on the wrist... maybe we could just report their post so the staff can disable their ability to post in the LP subforum or something? Assuming they don't want to ban them from the entire forum for at least a day or longer.

It's ridiculous that this has gone on for this long. Like, it's not like sebby is the only person who spoils stuff for raocow, but he's the only one who keeps doing it and argues the matter every single freaking time he's called out.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Personally, I disagree that was spoilers.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago Personally, I disagree that was spoilers.
Please help me understand how saying "Item X is in Area Y," when item X has not yet been proven to be in Area Y, is not a spoiler.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago Personally, I disagree that was spoilers.
Please help me understand how saying "Item X is in Area Y," when item X has not yet been proven to be in Area Y, is not a spoiler.
said item was

a lifeup

, and i don't think it would preclude anyone that many exist in the game, and he might've missed one.

If it was another item, or said specifically what room it was in, then yes, but he's seen these and it should be obvious there are more, and i don't think giving a vague area is enough to outright figure it out that it spoils anything..
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I mean do we have to have the conversation about "little half-spoilers will combine with other little half-spoilers and give a full picture" every single time to explain this. Also this is epic
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago I mean do we have to have the conversation about "little half-spoilers will combine with other little half-spoilers and give a full picture" every single time to explain this. Also this is epic
at that point you should probably be penalized for backseating anyway. :/
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years agosaid item was

a lifeup

, and i don't think it would preclude anyone that many exist in the game, and he might've missed one.

If it was another item, or said specifically what room it was in, then yes, but he's seen these and it should be obvious there are more, and i don't think giving a vague area is enough to outright figure it out that it spoils anything..
It may not be a spoiler that those exist but it's absolutely a spoiler to reveal the general location of one. Especially since, as Leet pointed out, raocow's viewers tend to each reveal different bits which results in an overall rather specific description.
Last edited by Alice 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I still don't think it's enough information being given to be a spoiler outright. Backseating on the other hand, I would agree that probably crossed that line, but then again, I would argue there's been quite a bit of backseating going on, especially in the YT comments.

EDIT: should probably note that i'm much more used to the rules of a twitch streamer that has a strict no backseating policy, and what constitutes as backseating is /very/ wide-ranging. I suspect there are things I would flag as backseating that others here would not.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

As a small contribution to this topic, hiding spoilers behind 'Read more' in the Youtube comments does not work. Because the video uploader already sees the entire comment, at once.

The more you know... :ugeek:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

We’re still getting randos Kramering into the La-Mulana comments and dropping casual spoilers. I’m starting to wonder if raocow shouldn’t just turn the comments off.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Occasional reminders to not backset/spoil things and let him play how he pleases might be a good idea.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

While there are still randos crashing into the YT comments periodically and at least one repeat YT commenter (Nefer007) who does nothing but throw out spoilers (including, on at least one occasion, for the sequel!) despite being asked to stop, there are also more comments than I've come to expect on YT in the vein of "please stop posting spoilers" and/or "oops I apologize." And I'm not just talking about Talkhausers here. So, while it ain't perfect, there's at least some improvement.

I do agree that it's time (with the next video) for another of those occasional no-spoilers/no-backseating reminders. If it were my LP and I was trying to play blind, I'd also be blocking Nefer007.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago Nefer007
Oh man, is this where that guy went after we collectively started ignoring him entering nonsense commands and generally trolling in Shrinemaiden's text adventures? Small world.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image