(shouting)

Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

Post by Sebby19 »

Okay, I've calmed down now.
What set me off was reading "Sebby and youtube comments" over and over. I could've brushed it off once or twice from the usual suspects, but 4+ times was getting ridiculous, and it needed to stop.
WhimWidget, God bless you.

I'm going to watch the latest M&L episode and try to forget this happened. I'd appreciate my name, or any allusion, not be brought up again regarding this topic.
-I agree the word choice in my suggestion toward Totaka's song was not the best. I don't usually say 'shut up', or any bad language. I figured back then thatbecause I don't, saying something outrageous that way will get attention. Well I got :| . I shouldv'e instead said 'hush up', or 'wait and listen'
If I say something outrageous, it's usually because it is. I need to remember that really only works in person, with people who know you.

-@raocow: I legit thought you were trolling about the POW stat, and surprised you are playing it straight. Man you're unpredictable. I thought you were trolling since you have a history of playing with the audience. Like running a poll in a megaman style game and saving the #1 vote for last. Or that one time I remarked on the frequent pausing in a Yoshi hack, and you increase the frequency to playfully mess with me.
WhimWidget is right about me trying to get you to say something on this topic. I understand if you rather not. I don't think you've ever given a 'state-of-the-union' leadership style speech.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I would also add that in retrospect I may have gotten too emotional when I applied my word choice (conveniently) and I can understand being upset at that, but I want to note here that this was my honest emotion, that I genuinely felt that the point I already elaborated was being snubbed by the sudden escalation in tone. And I was upset myself at the misunderstood treatment by some of the replies.

That seemed to be the problem with the conversation the last few days - people reacting to each other too severely.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I want to go back to watching the game.
you're allowed to just do this, y'know

i mean, you don't even have the like, the sense of duty of being a volunteer moderator. there is nothing stopping you from throwing your arms up in the air, saying "i'm done with this," and do something you'd much rather be doing

that is one of the greatest strengths allowed to you by the internet. there is never a situation where you are physically forced to even be adjacent to a conversation happening

also i can't help but notice how appropriate in some sense that the response to my response to "words don't matter, intent does" was to ignore 99% of the words in it
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago
also i can't help but notice how appropriate in some sense that the response to my response to "words don't matter, intent does" was to ignore 99% of the words in it
It's because, just as people are starting to wind down, stoking things up again by taking a good faith statement from the one person that's been succeeding in bridging the gap and bringing people to understanding each other and calling it "blatantly ridiculous" is the worst thing to do in the situation IMO.

But for the other things you said that are probably valid I won't question it.

I did take time off of talkhaus for basically the entire day yesterday aside from updating a thread OP. I've calmed down enough to come here again now.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoI'd appreciate my name, or any allusion, not be brought up again regarding this topic.
That's literally entirely up to you, not everyone else
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ashan wrote: 4 years agoThat's literally entirely up to you, not everyone else
That's not true, come on now.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

What do you mean? Requesting that nobody bring up Sebby's habit of playing LP tour guide means he can just go straight up spoiling things and nobody can say anything cause he requested we "don't bring up the topic"

If he just posts regular discussion like everyone else, the topic won't be brought up regarding him
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago What do you mean? Requesting that nobody bring up Sebby's habit of playing LP tour guide means he can just go straight up spoiling things and nobody can say anything cause he requested we "don't bring up the topic"

If he just posts regular discussion like everyone else, the topic won't be brought up regarding him
It's not like he can psychically stop people from doing it even if he does stop himself from spoiling. You're acting like a major stigma will just disappear, and that's my issue here.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Grounder wrote:It's not like he can psychically stop people from doing it even if he does stop himself from spoiling.
No one will bring it up if he stops.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Let me rephrase -- if someone calls out Sebby for trying to overly guide the LP and he hasn't been doing it, I will be the first to defend him. But that hasn't happened that I've seen
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

fair enough then
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Ashan wrote: 4 years agoNo one will bring it up if he stops.
I doubt it, that's why I asked. Forgive the lack of faith.
If someone else comes along (like a certain youtube commentor during La-Mulana, who was discussed a few pages back), and starts spoiling stuff and backseating, I don't want comparisons like "This guy's just as bad/worse than Sebby19". Just an example.

I'll do what it takes to not earn the stigma. Can someone please do their part to let it wither away?

And if I do slide back a bit, just take it up with a mod instead of slagging me publicly. Or PM me, that'll be nice.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Okay, I've calmed down now.
What set me off was reading "Sebby and youtube comments" over and over. I could've brushed it off once or twice from the usual suspects, but 4+ times was getting ridiculous, and it needed to stop.
Because this is my fault, I wanted to say - the reason I emphasized it repeatedly wasn't intended to shame you, it was because I was finding other users' waffling about the subject to be frustrating. I was making the issue blunt and direct as a response to those other users, not to you. So I apologize if it seemed like I was going out of my way to mention you for no reason.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

WhimWidget wrote: 4 years agoProblem is, his name is attatched to the problem, even if it is, or isn't him.
And even were he from now on to succeed at not backseat, spoil or outright stops posting, the next time this issue comes up at least, his name will be there as the first suspect in discussion.
I don't disagree with most of what you said here but I do have to partly disagree with this. There are people who will do as you said. However if Sebby is actually not just showing effort to improve but actual progress then a lot of us would not direct things at him because we're not actually trying to be unfair. The issue is that any time it gets brought up he gets overly defensive and fairly belligerent which only makes things worse.
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years agoI'd appreciate my name, or any allusion, not be brought up again regarding this topic.
Things like this. He's acting victimized here and while some comments were uncalled for the majority of them were justified and not particularly unreasonable. This after incident after incident where he just dug his feet in over and over again rather than actually addressing the problem properly doesn't inspire faith in people.

Rather than acting victimized he needs to take responsibility for the mistakes he has made and not be belligerent and overly defensive when people do makes comments about him and spoilers even when he's not currently guilty of it. The better solution in those situations, due to his history, is just to let it go and ignore them. Getting defensive over them really serves no real purpose other than opening up the potential for yet another argument.

Or to try and put it another way, it comes across as very insincere and hypocritical for Sebby to act victimized considering his own past actions. He needs to show real dedication to fixing that problem before many of us would consider actually jumping to his defense.

I do agree, however, that others need to not call him out when he's not being the problem. But at the same time people should also try to make sure that those people are actually calling Sebby out and not simply using his previous situation as a comparison to the current one for teh people they are calling out.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago
Ashan wrote: 4 years ago What do you mean? Requesting that nobody bring up Sebby's habit of playing LP tour guide means he can just go straight up spoiling things and nobody can say anything cause he requested we "don't bring up the topic"

It's not like he can psychically stop people from doing it even if he does stop himself from spoiling. You're acting like a major stigma will just disappear, and that's my issue here.
See, the problem is it's being treated like people are just bullying Sebby for nothing.

Sebby is brought up in examples of spoilers and backseat gaming because he keeps doing it. It's not like this is an isolated incident or the first time he's been asked to stop, my dude.

Sure, someone being like "Hey raocow, here's how to play the game better!" should not be met with "Don't pull a sebby". But, for what it's worth, I don't see people doing this shit.

I see sebby posting spoilers or backseat gaming, being told to stop, and then immediately playing the victim like raocow has not asked people stop that. The dude is not innocent, and getting all emotional and defensive about it is absurd because it acts like he is.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Yeah you're just restating points others already stated (but in an unnecessarily combative way) after people, Sebby included, already reached some sort of understanding with each other.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

There's something that's been on my mind since during the Superstar Saga LP, when "letting the player play" got me thinking. I felt that some have been treating spoilers and backseating as one thing, conflating them together, and I thought about what the distinction was between the two things.

Spoilers are about content that hasn't been shown yet, and the player doesn't have much control over being exposed to them. Once you see it and get spoiled, that's that. The only remedy is to preemptively avoid reading the places where you expect spoilers.

Backseating is dictating how the player should play, and this generally involves decisions on content that has been seen and shown. (If there's dictating the player about upcoming content, then it falls under both categories.) This is where the player does have some control over the situation, since even if he's told things he can do, he's the one making the decision based on his discretion.

It's still annoying to nag the player and make demands about what directions to take, but the player's blind experience does not get immediately impaired upon exposure to remarks. But with spoiler content, being exposed to them in itself can affect the player experience, so there's need to be extra careful.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Yeah, there's a world of difference between "You should head north at the next area first!" (before they've even got there) and "Hey raocow, do you remember that thing you saw and didn't interact with? Can you try interacting with it?" The former is absolutely backseating, the latter feels more like the "'s" in "Let's Play".
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

more suited for twitch, but probably still has some merit here

BobisOnlyBob wrote: Yeah, there's a world of difference between "You should head north at the next area first!" (before they've even got there) and "Hey raocow, do you remember that thing you saw and didn't interact with? Can you try interacting with it?" The former is absolutely backseating, the latter feels more like the "'s" in "Let's Play".
I think as well "reminder you can now go back and do X" is fine as well, especially in something like a metroidvania.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet

Post by Leet »

It gets really annoying when every single episode of an lp begins with doing something you were told to do though. in mlss especially people kept telling raocow to do things he would've done if they waited like one video anyway
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Backseating can be kinda spoilery though. Like, this is a really minor one but in SS when people were telling him to make Luigi drink water. It was just for a silly little joke but by telling him to do it you ruin the fun of discovery. Now he's expecting something to happen when it just as well could have worked exactly the same as Mario drinking water, so finding it yourself the punchline works better.

By telling him to do something specific, they're inherently highlighting there's something special about that course of action.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Reposting something that would've been in Kirby 64 thread, with some edits:

1. thatguyif: I do agree with you on this - finding out things from a game you haven't played yet isn't always going to be detrimental to enjoying the experience when you do play it. I would say sometimes it can even help, because it can get you interested in experiencing more.

But you shouldn't force that upon others. And I don't think this should be used as an excuse when approached about something that's seen as clearly spoiler material. At the very least, there was no need to deliberately take out things that were originally spoiler-tagged.

2. Personally, I think rest of the post in question didn't need spoiler tags; things like

Void Termina

, well, thatguyif wasn't the only one talking about them. And if those things were spoilery, I guess what happened is that people got a bit overexcited about the Kirby franchise when the topic of space nightmares came up.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Leet

Post by Leet »

"why do you want to know as little as possible before going into something" honestly? because david lynch agrees with me and that's all that really needs to be said on the matter

also there's really no argument to be had on the subject of "okay, this may be something nobody wants me to do to them, but maybe i should knowingly do it anyway, and then call them out on caring". like if you want to go right past a discussion on spoiling etiquette to "everybody is wrong for caring" you are not talking in good faith
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Leet wrote: also there's really no argument to be had on the subject of "okay, this may be something nobody wants me to do to them, but maybe i should knowingly do it anyway, and then call them out on caring". like if you want to go right past a discussion on spoiling etiquette to "everybody is wrong for caring" you are not talking in good faith
There's a difference between "caring" and showing contempt. My problem with spoilers discussions is that when those who even accidentally spoil are treated with hatred. It's not "caring" when the immediate response to anything of that nature is to overwrite their post and dogpile them if they so much as utter a word of complaint. Or even dogpile them regardless if they say anything at all.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image