(shouting)

Rayman Origins (please see manual for origin story)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Rayman Origins (please see manual for origin story)

Post by Grounder »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago And by clamoring for more you mean screaming for raocow to play the somehow even better sequel right? :rao:

>five months of this

i love barbara but nah
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Yeah, I'm a bigger fan of Legends than Origins but I'd rather it go at the back of the current queue...
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

so raocow, you realize you could've just. wall jumped up to get that medal you were having trouble with, instead of trying to fall from below?
the game is literally never -that- demanding or weird. if something feels weird to get, you are doing the wrong thing and should reconsider your options :P
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

The first shout at raocow moment in the lp! hooray! :rao:
It was still a commendable effort.
ImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

anyone else feel cheated because raocow isn't using rayman
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yes. We can even get the best of both worlds by rao playing as Rayman dressed as Globox.

So the Magician is one of the first characters you see when you start Rayman 1. He tells you the plot, while in the levels finding him means you can play a minigime for a life. I'll just post the intro to Rayman 1 here:
After watching the vid, you can see they changed the Magician into a Teensie (who debuted in Rayman 2). Which is okay, no objections from me. As you can see, he really wants you to collect Lums for him, and he'll reward you with Electoons and Medals.

Though aren't the Electoons imprisoned in the game too? Why does he have them?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Did anyone else ever play Rayman Brain Games
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

Disregard; this post has incorrect information
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

A screaming at raocow moment this early in the LP? I don't know if I can handle more of these.

Who has the most?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years agoanyone else feel cheated because raocow isn't using rayman
There's only room for one wacky French-related thing in these vids, thank you very much.

...I also liked playing as Globox more. Ha-ha.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Rayman Origami (please see manual for origin story)

Post by Awoo »

The most pertinent question I have is:

WILL raocow ever play as Rayman?

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

This level was one of those on the 3DS demo, which i played.

The other 2 are the world 1 treasure chest and the world 2 moskito level

raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Alright, I've been waiting for this level to show up. Now I can post the initial debut trailer of the game. The beginning of this level is the location where Rayman was created. The trailer is safe to watch, as about 80% of the stuff you see never made it into the final game
As I mentioned in the first post, this game was supposed to explore the origins of Rayman, from his friendship with Globox, to him becoming a hero. But that all changed into what we have now. Which is too bad, since they had something good going there.

Now Rayman's origin was just relegated to the intruction manual, which I'll post here. I wasn't joking when I made that subtitle for the topic:
When the Bubble Deamer had his first very bad dream, the nymphs gathered to invoke a being of light capable of saving our world: a creature both agile and carefree, as tenacious as he is hilarious, destined to crack up the Creator with his heroic antics and stop the nightmare!
Unfortunately, although not surprisingly, our bedazzled and bodacious nymphs were distracted by some zombie chickens on thier way to the sacred snoring grounds of the Bubble Dreamer, and the lost a sack of lums chasing the crazy creatures over a cliff. Thus, they arrived late with a lot less illumination.
In the end, Rayman was born with a few missing limbs, which as it turns out, made him a whole lot more limber!
So that is why he has no arms, legs, or neck.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

In today's episode, raocow reminds us that we don't have to be completionists, we may stop watching the video at any point leaving the bar half filled.
As he goes off to be a completionist in every level.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years agoIn today's episode, raocow reminds us that we don't have to be completionists, we may stop watching the video at any point leaving the bar half filled.
As he goes off to be a completionist in every level.
He does have a point though. If he gives in to the demands of people telling him not to be a completionist it'd deprive those who want to see him complete everything of the opportunity plus raocow seems to want to complete it all himself anyways. Those people who don't want him to be a completionist can just stop watching after he completes the level normally if they find it boring without depriving anyone who wants to watch it of their opportunity.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago He does have a point though. If he gives in to the demands of people telling him not to be a completionist it'd deprive those who want to see him complete everything of the opportunity plus raocow seems to want to complete it all himself anyways. Those people who don't want him to be a completionist can just stop watching after he completes the level normally if they find it boring without depriving anyone who wants to watch it of their opportunity.
And he should play as he wishes. But yeah, I don't really care much for one level episodes.

It's just the value hypocrisy, on viewers ends for not partitioning out the content they want to see, and raocow for suggesting the opposite of what he is actively doing. Do people often just decide to not finish the youtube video they started? I watch at x1.5-x2 speed, but generally don't stop watching if I started one.

The risk for being a completionist for the LP will come up when raocow gets into medaling boss fights/late game levels, since he's not going to renege on his own self-imposed challenges. I'd hate for the mood of this game to soured by repeating the same boss 4 times scrambling to find those 5 spare lums he needed.

Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

This is indeed the first demo level also on PC, and I think it's doing the game a slight disservice even (but very slight, because the demo convinced me after all): getting the Lums for the medal is very annoying because it's quite tight, you have all those bubble platforms to hit, and the iffy back-and-forth platforming AFTER getting all the tedious bubble platform Lums with one slip-up forcing you to redo the entire beginning is just annoying.

I will also readily concede that this game is simply not that great at precise platforming onto small, moving targets. Fortunately, it doesn't do that often, and if that was one of the first levels made (with the "origin" theme still there, and it's in the demo, and so on), they probably realized that for everything else and toned it way down.

Still, the time trial run is amazing with just one iffy platforming bit, because as raocow showed, you can beautifully skip the first just by bouncing from enemy to enemy. Sequences like this remind me a lot of my previous platforming king game Donkey Kong Country 2, but Rayman Origins just always does that (and has no cannon levels!).
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow could have just down-slammed the bubbly platforms to release all the lums at once. It's the same idea as winding up for a super punch/slap (which can also break the cage in one hit)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Why be limbless when you can just be gormless?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Huh? Is that the Queen's english?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
tangy
🍊

Post by tangy »

The other characters ride on top of an average-sized Moskito which does the shooting / inhalation for them. Globox is just a weirdo,

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Globox is vast and uncanny and delightful. He manages to be weirder on average than everything else around him, which is quite an accomplishment.

Yaaaaaay Tricky Treasure stages! (ノ≧∀≦)ノ ~~~~~~~╰╭╢⊙╟╮╯
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You can fast forward the Lum tally screen, raocow.
Wooh, three levels today, revealing more stuff from previous games than I'm willing to talk about at once. So I'll just focus on the baddies so far:

Darktoons: Those ugly round black creatures. They originated from Rayman 1, and were found all throughout the game. However, they were originally called Antitoons, and were consistently smaller, basically the evil versions of the Electoons.

Livingstones/Lividstones: Livingstones were the first baddies you meet in Rayman 1. They were pretty basic, so they only appeared in the first world. They did make a surprise reappearance in the GBA version of Rayman Raving Rabbids, where they buffed the heck out. But now they are back to their skinny selves. And are called Lividstones, for some reason.

Hunter: A persistent fellow from Rayman 1. They've come back with a slightly different look (the refined hunter), but still shoot missiles like before. The missiles are no longer equipped with wooden mallets, sadly.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

The chest levels are phenomenal, my favorite in the game. The purest, flowiest platforming. And really damn hard as well, but never too long. So good.

A mosquito level (not this one) was the second demo level, and I'm usually extremely iffy about a game completely changing its gameplay style to "break it up" like it's not confident in its engine or something. I like DKC2's "mine"cart levels though, because like the rest of DKC2 they are amazingly well designed (okay, Rickety Race is a bit eeh), and fortunately, Rayman Origins' mosquito levels are also fun as hell, for me at least. Proper sucking and blowing is the key to getting those Lums!!!

Also, keep an eye out for plants which release Lums when touched. You almost purposefully avoided one during your flights today, and that made the Lum total closer than necessary. Also, to reiterate YT comments and one of my own, just for quality of life: you can speed up the final tally by holding a button.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

chest levels? more like..... best levels

it's no wonder they basically took the concept and made literally all the "speedruns" basically like this in legends (though not as demanding to be fair)

on the flipside i don't like the moskito levels because of the requirement to kill all the enemies in a set to get any reward for it. and they tend to be especially stingy on lum counts too.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life