(shouting)

Last Impact : Final Impact

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Last Impact : Seventh Liftoff

Post by Sebby19 »

I know you like to blame the camera a lot, but it's entirely your fault it got behind that balloon during the Blue Coin bit. You need to plan ahead a bit more.

One thing that seems unchanged about this camera is how it behaves underwater. While swimming (and Flying), C < and > will put the camera right beside Mario by 90 degrees, but will only stay there as long as you HOLD the button.

The new camera as seems to be based off the Mario Cam in the vanilla game, since I recognized its tendency to NOT like going underwater until you're dived a bit more.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Implo

Post by Implo »

I had much more trouble with that star in Course 5. For me it is first difficulty spike. The most annoying are these stupid flying machines shooting at you. So you need to cross this platforming very fast. And because I was wasting time to change angle of camera, a lot of time I got bumped by the projectiles and felt all way down. I needed to restart the whole climbing few times and it was annoying. Also weird thing about flying machines projectiles: most of the time they don't hurt, but sometimes they do. I have no idea what's the rule.

As for Course 3. I had no problem with figuring how to get star at top of the mountain. Usually I start the course by getting red coins + 100 coins. Thanks to that I can explore the whole level, so getting other stars is easier. Also 100 coin star is more tight in this course than in others.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Today on raocow A-Side: Return of the Revenge of the Mystery Balloon
Tomorrow on A-Side: HOUSE (according to cow of rao)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

criminal to include an n64 version of meteor herd and -not- find some way to carry over the so-bad-it's-good rapping
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago criminal to include an n64 version of meteor herd and -not- find some way to carry over the so-bad-it's-good rapping
If you've seen Portal64, another kaze project, you'll see he has implemented voice acting, so who knows. Maybe we can hope for lyrics one day.
Getting used to the camera is the true test of skill that comes with SM64.
ImageImage
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

I don’t really care for SM64 at all (camera and controls are just too clunky), but I still wanted to stop by just to say that the music in the beach level today was really, really good.

It didn‘t quite turn around my mind for music 360%, but it‘s up there
Last edited by Ryrir 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
this is getting laundromatic
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Nimono wrote: 5 years ago Tomorrow on A-Side: HOUSE (according to cow of rao)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Nimono wrote: 5 years ago Tomorrow on A-Side: HOUSE
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : Seventh Heaven

Post by Awoo »

Get on the boat, Shinji!

So are there *any* vanilla SM64 powerups in this or are they all just like that fireflower earlier?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

I get the feeling that the game is trying to go for "big", but doesn't realize what "big" really means.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
tirakai

Re: Last Impact : Eight Whack (a mole)

Post by tirakai »

I wouldn't say it doesn't get what 'big' is, rather the creator's idea of a big adventure and levels doesn't work with SM64's terrible camera and awkward controls that constantly fight against the camera.

I feel like this level design would been pretty fun if it had, well, any other control system. If someone could figure out how to give SM64 the Spyro camera for example the romhacks would probably be a heck of a lot less annoying to play.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Today on raocow: HEAT BURNS
Tomorrow on raocow: ?????

...Should I even mention my opinion on this level, and thus the design of the hack in general? You know what, I should.

I DESPISE this level. How the heck did he think it was a good idea to make such large pits this early into the hack? What made him think it was a good idea to make small lava pits you can barely see? People harp on the Lakitu Cam of the original, but situations like this are what it was built for- the reason it doesn't work well in hacks is because the camera was designed to dynamically change position and range depending on the area you were in. I think it used a collision box to do that? Not sure. Either way, modders of this game don't utilize this feature, and I don't know if they're even able to, which is why everyone says "Just use Mario cam" in hacks. But Kaze managed to rewrite the camera a bit, so you would think he would've been able to figure out how to do that waypoint system with the lakitu cam...

Seeing all this really makes me feel like he tried to make Banjo-Kazooie, but ignored that he was actually using SM64 as a base. :/ Interesting ideas, marred not by the engine he used, but the fact that he ignored how it worked in the pursuit of "MUST LOOK SPECTACULAR"...

also some of the stars are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dumb, if I recall correctly.

Implo

Post by Implo »

Whack a Mole minigame

Originally you had to whack 40 moles in 80 seconds. So it was much harder and longer. It was really frustrating minigame. Right now you have twice less time, but on the other hand you need almost whack three times less moles. That's a good change.

As for Flower Shower minigame. It shouldn't be unlocked yet. I don't know what happened. Maybe some glitch.

Bowser stage is to tell you the truth quite easy. Except Bowser Jr. He's crazy. For the first boss he is definitely too hard. He has tough to dodge attacks and you must be fast with a bomb to hurt him. Not gonna lie I put savestate just after raft. Speaking about checkpoint - it should be placed after raft ride. I know it's easy to beat, but repeating it just because you died unfairly from a boss is really annoying.

And since it's not indicated I will tell that Bowser stage has one more star to get.

Also the entrance to mysterious Course 4 was visible in today video.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Implo wrote: 5 years ago Also the entrance to mysterious Course 4 was visible in today video.
As a matter of fact, raocow has already gotten stuck on the entrance on an earlier video. It's awfully signposted lol

Also, i'm impressed raocow barely got hit by the fire breath. When i played it the thing would hit me no matter where i was on the bridge.
Granted, i seem to have a different version of the game.
ImageImage
warpio

Post by warpio »

I didn't have that much trouble with the bowser level. you just gotta get a feel for how to control the camera in specific situations. I think raocow is still in the SMW mindset where levels have time restraints, so he's often not taking the opportunity to stop and change camera angles to get a better view of what's in front of him. The camera is bad at following you and adjusting itself to the course, but if you take your time you can almost always get a clear view of the situation and you should never have to rely on blindly guessing how far away a platform is. That bowser fight at the end is really the only part where you're under time pressure and might not be able to get the camera perfect, but at least that part is pretty easy once you know the 2 attacks Bowser can do, and it's just a matter of chasing him back and forth until you manage to hit him with the bob-omb.

I was unable to find world 4 at all so I just stopped here for now waiting for him to find it for me lol. Although now that I someone says it was apparently visible in an earlier video I might go back and try to find it before that.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

warpio wrote: 5 years ago The camera is bad at following you and adjusting itself to the course, but if you take your time you can almost always get a clear view of the situation and you should never have to rely on blindly guessing how far away a platform is.
The camera doesn't adjust itself to the course at all- that was the point of the *lakitu cam*, but most SM64 modders remove it or recommend you never use it since it doesn't work well. Which is because it was designed for the original levels. There may be at least one hack out there that actually makes it work, though, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
I was unable to find world 4 at all so I just stopped here for now waiting for him to find it for me lol. Although now that I someone says it was apparently visible in an earlier video I might go back and try to find it before that.
A little information regarding that here, in spoiler tags so read at your own risk:
Course 4 is unmarked. Completely, utterly unmarked. In a location so un-obvious.
For the answer:
You know that little indent in the wall next to the boat raocow once got stuck on a few vids back? THAT'S COURSE 4. Dead serious- that unobvious, unassuming, clearly-just-part-of-the-wall-design indent, is the entrance to that level. And you'll never know unless you swim into it on purpose because it looks so much like "just a wall". They could've made it completely black on the inside, made it deeper so it looked like a tunnel, but nope, it's just an unassuming piece of wall that you could be forgiven for assuming is just a decoration piece.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

The single most baffling decision was reducing player health from 8 to 6 but not modifying how much damage anything does to mario

Enjoy getting two-shotted by anything fire related, I guess?
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Fist Impact : Eight Whack (a mole)

Post by Awoo »

So, how big/long is this game, anyhow? Does it have 3 Bowser sections like vanilla SM64?
Also, what does the favorite color thing effect? I thought it might be Mario's outfit but I guess not
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So, how big/long is this game, anyhow? Does it have 3 Bowser sections like vanilla SM64?
Also, what does the favorite color thing effect? I thought it might be Mario's outfit but I guess not
130 stars.
I'm guessing there would be 3 boss levels, although I wouldn't know in how many of which Bowser *would* be there
video games
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

All Hack details in this spoiler:
So the hack has boss levels, but not quite the regular kind, they all end with a unique boss fight (which are all very janky, imo) and then there's a uh... plot twist with a "new" villain, so if you like Original Characters then uh... get ready.
Almost every course in the hack has a boss (and i repeat, almost) and they're all kind of janky as i've stated before, since most of them are "pound and pray you either actually land a hit or get flung off"; not only that but this hack reduces mario's hitpoints so you'll likely get 2/3 shotted by most things.
the missions also get a bit more annoying later on, especially when raocow will get to Pachinko 2.0.
Personally i feel like this hack is a glorified tech demo with little to no consistency, sure the stuff that's there is impressive but most of the time it's there just for the sake of "hey i can do this in mario 64 heck yeah"
it's not a BAD hack or anything and props for Kaze for making an hack with impressive assets like this, but it's the way they're executed that kinda start showing the cracks in this, again, imo though
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So, how big/long is this game, anyhow? Does it have 3 Bowser sections like vanilla SM64?
if you want to spoil yourself
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Darkonius64 wrote: 5 years agoPersonally i feel like this hack is a glorified tech demo with little to no consistency, sure the stuff that's there is impressive but most of the time it's there just for the sake of "hey i can do this in mario 64 heck yeah"
it's not a BAD hack or anything and props for Kaze for making an hack with impressive assets like this, but it's the way they're executed that kinda start showing the cracks in this, again, imo though
I mean isn't that basically an accurate description for Super Demo World and Brutal Mario too?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

gonna be downhill from here by and large :ehh:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

Smth out of context from kaze
}
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : Eight Medallion (Zelda)

Post by Awoo »

Today, on "raocow Plays Zelda: Ocarina of Time", the rudest mermaids ever!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image