(shouting)

Last Impact : Final Impact

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Last Impact : Fifty-Third Surprise

Post by raocow »

oh wow really?

finally getting to patreon voted stuff then :P
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

That was only how many months? Image
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Last Impact : Fifty-Third Shoe Present

Post by Awoo »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago That was only how many months? Image
Good things come to those who wait nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

man it's weird how many more vids there were in the second tier than the third tier

a lot of the secret stars were in that tier i guess, plus the awful boat rides lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

overall I think this game got a lot of things right, and it got some really weird things wrong.

What's even weirder is that the third tier has been having, by far, the least amount of mistakes compared to first tier and second tier.
video games
Sebby19

Re: Last Impact : Fifty-Fourth SECRET RAINBOW COIN FOUND AFTER 15 YEARS

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow? Why didn't you destroy the Chomps, and then hit the Blue switch?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I do not have a satisfying answer to that one :(
Implo

Post by Implo »

The highest coin in the column (right after blue coin) you can easily get by double jump. Also why in the world after obtaining 96 coins in Crystal Ball Room you killed yourself, raocow?! You could easily leave the room and get 2 red coins outside or 4 normal coins. Why did you do that?!!!
warpio

Post by warpio »

Yeah, even more than the "why didn't you kill the chomps first" thing, I was way more triggered by the fact that somehow the question of "can I leave from the chomp disco room?" never even crossed your mind. That suicide there was such a scream at the computer moment.

Actually, if you had tested this beforehand and realized that doing the chomp disco room first made a lot more sense, you could've just altered your route so you wouldn't have even needed to return back from that 1st star area with the chomp bowl and the thunder lakitus. That's sort of what I did, except my mistake was assuming I needed all the red coins in the first area as well as the chomp disco coins before going to that thunder lakitu section, so I made it slightly harder on myself that way.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I think at the end there, if you had like a few more coins before going into that launch star, one of the coins in the launch path would have been coin 100 and it would have put the star in an impossible to get place. That was a very real concern of mine during that.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Every time Mario just walks off a platform it always feels super jarring to me. I get that this is probably an issue with the Mario 64 engine itself but I really feel like the game should give the player more leniency, especially with the janky camera and turning.

...I mean a better solution would be to not make levels with tiny platforms over bottomless pits, but here we are anyway.
Crow

Post by Crow »

this entire video was a baffling series of decisions on your part
why didn't you do disco room first & then not have to do the walk back from thunder lord land?
why didn't you kill the chomps before doing the blue coin switch?
why did you kill yourself instead of leaving disco land?
WHY DID YOU USE THE LAUNCH STAR WHEN IT COULD'VE CAUSED THE STAR TO SPAWN IN AN IMPOSSIBLE TO GET PLACE???
raocow!!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow

Post by raocow »

look.

you're not wrong.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : Fifty-Fourth DONNIE YOU'RE OUT OF YOUR ELEMENT

Post by Awoo »

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I feel like we're bullying raocow, but I also feel like he was operating at the same level as the hack's design today nyoro~n
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Thank god I was reading the comments whilst watching the video, because if I had seen that suicide with only 4 coins left with no prior warning I might've had a stroke.
ImageImage
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

I started asking the same questions as the above posts after watching the video. It's understood that the 100-Coin Star is a pain in stages like this one.

Anyways, all that's left is the final level.

raocow may have a decision to use savestates in that level because the 4 dividing sections are platform heavy and as tedious to start from the beginning as Course 15, which may be unhealthy to the LP.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: Last Impact : Final Impact

Post by Mandew »

the dorito bois save the day
video games
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

lavafall jumps suck
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

And there it is, Last Impact, final boss' neat but man that lava tower, you can take only 2 hits due to the reduced health, it's a bit dumb and uncontrollable
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, the fire tower is the worst part of the finale. It's so needlessly harder and more punishing than the other three. (though slipping and falling on the ice tower after having done some of the others is also really frustrating)
Implo

Post by Implo »

So final level problem is length. It's the longest level in the game. The towers aren't very hard, but climbing them down is. I believe that Fire Flower is glitched only in newest version. Maybe Kaze realized that fire and wooden ship isn't good combination. Also wings are solid only in this level. What I liked was theme of the towers: Fire, Thunder, Ice and Air. I really liked this mini challenges. Also I believe that getting switch star gives you permanent shortcut to the boss.

As for Final Boss - platforms at the very beginning are the hardest part of the battle. In the final form Rashey deals 4 damage and if you are far away from him, he can shoot super fast fireball.

And the final reward for you is

Boss Rush pipe. This means game teleports you to the bosses from courses and other levels. Everyone except Big Boo in the Mirror room and Final Boss. The Arena is surrounded by weird barrier preventing you from exploring the levels. Your reward for all this is just "Thank you for playing!" screen.

When I first started playing this game, I read a lot of comments that this is the best SM 64 hack. First steps with this game were fantastic, new camera that I liked, I liked aesthetics and the innovations (like new levels appearing, intros to the stars or even new powerups and enemies). Design was good. The game was really good. Until I get to bad part. Lots of stars are designed with camera allowing side view, but camera don't want to stay on the side. So I started to fight with camera. Also I started to think that camera has changed after the whole game has been designed. Also part of the game was really broken. Back then I beat the game and I felt like this game was really weak. I had no idea how my opinion can differ so much from other people opinions. Right now 1.2 fix a lot of the game, but it mostly focus on 1/3 of the game. Game is more enjoyable, but still it doesn't feel fixed completely. I think changing camera or level design would make huge difference.

After that I played Star Revenge Redone 2.0 and it felt like night and day. While last impact is more like tech demo what is possible in SM 64, Star Revenge focus more on the gameplay. Levels are bigger and also harder, but the whole hack is more solid. I was stunned by architecture of this hack. And this hack feels a lot like Star Road. Don't get me wrong, the game isn't easy. It requires you to know all the jumps very early in the game, also it has some very troublesome stars. Also Redone in the title means that not only hack has more stars over original SR, not only it has better graphic, but also it has redesigned levels. Levels are redesigned in mostly easier way and more interesting way.

But maybe you wan't to play something advanced again. Right now Kaze works on 2 big projects: SM Odyssey 64 and SM Sunshine 64. SM Odyssey 64 will have 240-300 stars. And both of them Kaze wants to finish in 1,5 year. Which for me feels unrealistic, but this is Kaze we are talking about. I bet they will have much better design than Last Impact.

And also there is plenty more SM 64 hacks to chose. Who knows, raocow, maybe you will chose some kaizo hack for next time. Or do ascetic playthrough of SM 64.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That credits sequence reminded me of the classic-era YouTube Windows Movie Maker credits

Director: me
Writer: me
Camera: me
Editor: me
Idea: me
Crow

Post by Crow »

...did you have to do the towers in this specific order? it would've made way more sense to me to do each other once before trying to put together a full run, rather than making two towers the prerequisite for playing the third tower like you were doing in the video. however i have no clue if that's actually possible lol

the game died as it lived: by doubting that kaze is a real person who does real person things