(shouting)

Last Impact : Final Impact

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Last Impact : Thirty-First DEFEAT THE GIANT SPIER MAN

Post by Darkonius64 »

SPIDER BOSS TRIVIA!

So the previous version of the boss was obnoxious due to how fast the boss would back up away from you, even when attempting to pound, he's just slide away before landing due to the speed, it was really hard

And now time for Sky world zone!
It has another awkward final star but it's a pretty ok course... If you like bouncing on Paragoombas in a 3d mario 64-controlling space, good luck raocow!
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
IRikarte

Re: Last Impact : Thirtieth Web Navigation Accident

Post by IRikarte »

I really like the Spider Mushroom. Too bad it only gets used like once in the whole game.
Also the coins/enemies didn't respawn because dying only kicks you out of the cave and not the level.
jayScribble wrote: 5 years ago So, what really was the problem with the old version of the spider boss? Was it moving around too much to butt-slam?
-he had a way smaller head and less lag on his moves, making him way harder to hit
-he could clip you out of bounds if you were standing on him while backing off
-his hitbox was all over the place, sometimes you would get hit out of nowhere while trying to groundpound him
-sometimes you would just clip through him, getting stuck in his head and killed instantly
-and my favorite: this
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Thinking on it. I can't recall the last time I've seen a bee get stuck in a spider's web. I have seen bees get munched by spiders and I've seen bees get stuck on sticky plants

Most spiders are solitary and cannibalistic, often males are at risk of being attacked or eaten by females when they approach them.

Some species such as Mallos gregalis and Oecobius
civitas
form colonies and demonstrate eusociality. In these species colonies all occupy the same web that is created and maintained over multiple generations.

If you want to read more and see pictures of spider butts.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/249503 ... GspHxzczko
Implo

Post by Implo »

So can anyone tell me why people was warning raocow about spider boss. Sure, I played the earlier version and it was a thing. But in newest version this battle is easy. To tell you the truth I'm rather looking forward for Course 10 boss.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Implo wrote: 5 years ago So can anyone tell me why people was warning raocow about spider boss. Sure, I played the earlier version and it was a thing. But in newest version this battle is easy.
Because people played the earlier version of the fight and didn't know it was fixed in newer versions.

The newest version might not be "broken" anymore but man, it's still such a weird, underwhelming fight.
Awoo
~wan~wan

DEFEAT THE GIANT SPIER MAN

Post by Awoo »

Today's lesson:
If the jump doesn't jump, the web will [usually] web
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

It's also important to note that dying on the spider boss used to boot you back outside the level, not outside the boss fight room.
Granted, with how game overs are not a thing anymore, that's reduced a lot of possible anger that could be there.
ImageImage
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

♡♡the big big spider is super cute o(≧▽≦)o

✧゚as someone who likes fuzzy spiders this one is just super duper adorables ゚✧ and not like demonised in its design like a lot of fictional spiders
ImageImage
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago Most spiders are solitary and cannibalistic, often males are at risk of being attacked or eaten by females when they approach them.
This is actually a complete myth that only really has basis at times when the females are heavily stressed or starved, aka kept in poor captivity. It's a similar case with mantids, actually. In fact, in nature, it's significantly more likely that the male will willingly let himself get eaten, or even forcefeed himself to the female, after mating to make sure his mate will survive long enough to take care of the eggs ( and, potentially, children, depending on the species ).

Granted, that's not especially common behavior, either, only displayed in a handful of species.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago
This is actually a complete myth that only really has basis at times when the females are heavily stressed or starved, aka kept in poor captivity. It's a similar case with mantids, actually. In fact, in nature, it's significantly more likely that the male will willingly let himself get eaten, or even forcefeed himself to the female, after mating to make sure his mate will survive long enough to take care of the eggs ( and, potentially, children, depending on the species ).

Granted, that's not especially common behavior, either, only displayed in a handful of species.
Post-copulatory cannibalism, which is what you are referencing, is still a risk for the male, since it invests its energy in a single female rather than seeking out more females.

A complete myth though? If you want to have a field day with me and share some studies where scientists investigated this, I'll gladly go over some in PMs. :)
IRikarte

Re: Last Impact : Thirty-Second's (to mars)

Post by IRikarte »

Those flying round guys are called Tehee Butterfly and they are from Yoshi's Story! In the game, eating them while they are blue would hurt you due to them becoming super bitter.
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

Man i COMPLETELY forgot that the boss was in star 2 instead of star 6

Good to see raocow got thru it without issue tho, i've seen people getting bounce-comboed by the paragoombas so many times
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Remember that Right on the D-Pad makes the camera be fixed to one side of Mario, instead of always going behind him.

Remember!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

No, see, this game's just aimed at an advanced audience, so phasing through the koopas head is just part of the challenge, that advanced players know how to handle,,,
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I really hope Kaze's seen the "walls, ceilings and floors" video and incorporates it into any subsequent 64 romhack work, because again, another case of interesting concepts being spoiled by a rather old and simple physics engine clashing with these overdesigned models.

Also runback/re-entry time is Kind Of a Problem in this hack...
Implo

Post by Implo »

And today raocow beat 2 hardest stars quite easily. I have no idea which one is worser. Glitching through Kurma Koopa head happened to me too. Also when he throws you last time it's possible to fall on goomba row and bounce on another goomba row to your doom. Which is very unfair death.

On the other hand Windmill is longer climbing section with these annoying blue/pink floating faces. They explode when you attack them when they are blue. And their knockback is annoying. Also once I managed to glitch through Windmill's stairs to bottomless pit below.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Imo this stage looks a lot scarier than at actually is with the islands-floating-over-bottomless-pits thing. Its 100 coin star was actually easier for me than the one at Super Sweet Sugarland because, unlike there,

none of the red coins are over the holes and it's totally doable to get enough coins purely inland and not have to deal with any of the farther-apart platforms

Also that vine to get into the level...
My one use of savestates the whole game was at the top of that vine so I didn't have to climb it every time I died because after like three deaths I got super annoyed with that. Does my run still count as savestateless given that doesn't affect gameplay at all? I hope so. It was mostly savestateless nonetheless. ^^;

EDIT: Wait no, I forgot, there was another place I savestated at the start of for the same reason:

The Shadow Factory. Really, walking back to the cannon and launching out of it every single time you die is the worst idea ever. Especially when the stage in question is one of the most difficult in the game.

But still, this is rambling, sorry. ^^;
Last edited by FourteenthOrder 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

super mario 64: *marisa voice* the ze didn't ze! edition
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations

I love how raocow claimed "that seems like the obvious answer" regarding how to kill the pink/blue monsters, after having killed them when they were pink, and having gotten hurt when they were blue- but still remaining unsure.
This is one of the levels where I BLJ'd to get around faster :lol: Also, I think you could frame walk up that windmill, which is convenient.
ImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years agoI love how raocow claimed "that seems like the obvious answer" regarding how to kill the pink/blue monsters, after having killed them when they were pink, and having gotten hurt when they were blue- but still remaining unsure.
Honestly I can understand his confusion. The one time he killed one it was from above so I wasn't sure it was a matter of only being vulnerable from above or the color idea since I'm not at all familiar with these enemies.
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

the level name for the windmill star should've been "A View to a Mill". what a missed opportunity.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Piesonscreations

Alice wrote: 5 years ago [...] The one time he killed one it was from above so I wasn't sure it was a matter of only being vulnerable from above or the color idea since I'm not at all familiar with these enemies.
I wrongly recalled raocow killing one head on the first time he went into the level, my bad. Still, having an enemy change colors in a game where no other enemies do (unless attacked like wigglers) is a pretty big indicator that something is up with that. But i get being confused about the specifics, I just feel like if raocow were presented with the exact same enemy, with the same behaviour, in SMW, he would've gotten it instantly.
But i'm just speaking out of my ass on that last thing- it's just an odd feeling, that's all.
ImageImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: Last Impact : Thirty-Third Paragoomba Accident

Post by Mandew »

So the wall sometimes opens up instantly when you re-go into the level, huh? My theory about that is that the Bob-omb Explosion somehow persists when you're going into the cave, and re-activates along with the wall when the Camera pans to it in the intro.

addition:
I think the Cloud Platform should have been a little closer so the long-jump would work no matter the angle.
video games
warpio

Post by warpio »

I don't usually like to complain about difficulty, but this one IS really dumb. It's like not clear at all that it's just barely possible to get across that gap even if you have decent knowledge of the game's physics. They should've at least hinted in some way that you're supposed to long jump from the cloud. A coin trail would've been perfect here.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Perhaps the Triple-Jump method might have worked to, but rao's angle was still bad.

Here's another Mario engine tip: Groundpounding makes Mario's attack hitbox enormous. Even during the twirling in the air part.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000