(shouting)

Last Impact : Final Impact

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Last Impact : Twenty-First Mirror Shook

Post by Awoo »

To be fair, it is a pretty

literally

dark level, and that doorway is black on a dark green building
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Last Impact : Twentieth Desk Slam (this is crucial testimony, your honor)

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 5 years agoI mean, yes for normal people like us who haven't played 999999999 hours of SM64 it's a pretty absurd task to ask of the player, but I think this game and most romhacks are targeted towards pretty advanced players who... Somehow unlocked a superhuman ability to play Mario 64 like it has a good engine. I don't know how, but going off of the speedruns of I've seen, they have managed to pull that off, and they probably wouldn't have much issue with these levels.
Doesn't make these things good game design though. Trying to do things the engine isn't well-suited to doing without actually accounting for the issues involved is bad game design.

Take Leet's example of the big boo fight. This game has a ton of custom stuff and thus obviously the author is skilled at coding. Couldn't have been that difficult for them to take into account the camera issues and code something in that makes the camera focus on a specific spot and have it fixed in a specific spot or at a specific distance from the mirror. And such coding could be extremely useful in numerous other areas where the camera has been a problem. Could be as simple as having an object that is just a collision box that runs some code while Mario is colliding with it that aligns the camera a certain way.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: Last Impact : Twenty-Second Ghost Bachelor Party

Post by Mandew »

this place is darker than a bottomless pit
video games
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Alice wrote: 5 years agoCouldn't have been that difficult for them to take into account the camera issues and code something in that makes the camera focus on a specific spot and have it fixed in a specific spot or at a specific distance from the mirror.
Well, it's easy to say it's easy to code that
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
Alice wrote: 5 years agoCouldn't have been that difficult for them to take into account the camera issues and code something in that makes the camera focus on a specific spot and have it fixed in a specific spot or at a specific distance from the mirror.
it's also easy to realize that it doesn't quite work and not actually put it in the final game
video games
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I began reading today's comments when raocow said he needed to find a house while in front of the door of the house he should've gone into haha. I get that it's dark, and he was probably looking beyond where he was and not right in front of him, but I just knew it was going to take a while.
Also, raocow, crawling is fine, it's just funny to see it because it's never used, but I imagine you're using it the way it's intended, and it's proven to be helpful.
ImageImage
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Tried to get a good look at the cartridges at the start.

The two NES carts are both Nintendo World Championship.
The two Gamecubes cases are Smash Bros Melee and the unreleased Banjo Threeie.
I THINK one of the N64 carts is Mario 64? I couldn't make out the other two, though.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Mandew wrote: 5 years ago
it's also easy to realize that it doesn't quite work and not actually put it in the final game
This guy probably spent like 10 hours on this boss fight and you want him to go "some people who suck at this game might find this hard, I'll just scrap all this work"
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

You changed the terms in a direct reply to a post in which they were stated, I feel like attempting to seriously respond to that by restating "the boss doesn't actually work" is like falling for bait
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago This guy probably spent like 10 hours on this boss fight and you want him to go "some people who suck at this game might find this hard, I'll just scrap all this work"
even before you get to what leet's saying, gov, this is literally part of game design

hell, 10 hours is nothing - you can sink days into something that ends up being mostly or entirely scrapped just because it just doesn't really work. professionals can develop a huge chunk of an entire game before they realize that the concept or execution just isn't that great, and all these assets sunk into it may not even get reused for a new spin

i mean, this goes for every form of art, anyway. time spent doesn't equate to quality, and deluding yourself into thinking otherwise is just going to prohibit you from improving

which, in all likelihood, will make it so that you sink even more tons of time into stuff that isn't received well. it's a self-sustaining cycle that's unhealthy to any aspiring creator
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : Twenty-Tree

Post by Awoo »

I find it kind of hilarious that Mario's still yelling all the time in a "stealth" section. YAH WAH WAHOO

I'm sure nobody would notice that, but, the second they see you? OUT OF THE LEVEL :partygator:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: Last Impact : Twenty-Third Prison Break

Post by Voltgloss »

learning that there is a type of fish called "the lawyer" is kind of amazing. thank you raocow
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 5 years agoWell, it's easy to say it's easy to code that
You seem to be under the impression that I'm talking as an ignorant bystander who has no understanding of programming. I'm talking from a level of the programming clearly on display in this romhack. For someone who has displayed this level of competency with the hack programming it would be totally possible for them to do what I am suggesting. The only actual factor would be whether they're willing to put in the time and effort necessary to do so. And if you're dedicated to releasing quality work then the answer is a resounding "yes."
Ashan wrote:This guy probably spent like 10 hours on this boss fight and you want him to go "some people who suck at this game might find this hard, I'll just scrap all this work"
Ten hours is a lot of sunk time. However you're subscribing to the sunk cost fallacy here. Just because you've spent time on something does not mean the end result is worthwhile. It sucks when that happens but it does and forcing it into your project despite its flaws can be detrimental to the project as a whole. Or you could simply dedicate some extra time taking care of its issues and then the 10+ hours spent on it aren't a problem and it's not detrimental to the project's quality.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

this game is so bad a litteraly lost a teeth while playing

I hope I don't have to precise that this is a joke
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Implo

Post by Implo »

First star is a basic example of trial and error level. If you know a path it's easy. As for wall jump - you can't wall jump if you hit corner of the room. Also you must stand few steps away from wall. And if you put camera in side view remember to correct it if it move.

You weren't wrong - in last star there is no coins on the ground. Also I'm surprised that you didn't attempted it, raocow.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

oh yeah, I meant to add this earlier;

you can clear three boxes of height with side flips

keep in mind thumbs_up.png
video games
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years agoprofessionals can develop a huge chunk of an entire game before they realize that the concept or execution just isn't that great, and all these assets sunk into it may not even get reused for a new spin
He's not a professional, he's a hobbyist romhacker
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years agoprofessionals can develop a huge chunk of an entire game before they realize that the concept or execution just isn't that great, and all these assets sunk into it may not even get reused for a new spin
He's not a professional, he's a hobbyist romhacker
yes, and we're talking about scrapping a guesstimated ten hours, not an entire game
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The prison star is one of the worst in the game. It's a maybe-neat idea that isn't implemented well at all.

I do really love how the 100 coin stars in this game never really make me feel like I'm running out of coins at any point, though. In general, this game is pretty good at having courses that feel overwhelmingly huge when you first enter them, but then you know them like the back of your hand by their final stars.

Also is there any real story behind this series' episode name gimmick, or? It seems like a particularly random choice of theme and I'm curious if something in particular prompted it. :P
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

While the stealth section is, uh, not good, a bit of raocow logic in today's episode baffled me. He hid behind boxes before in the level, and when he reached that room where he had to jump down his first thought was to stand ON the boxes to not be seen, instead of hiding behind them, as he had done before. And like, he couldn't have been concerned about those two bomb-omb guards right below him, as he knew they couldn't see behind their backs.
But yeah, it's a really wonky section.
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years ago Also is there any real story behind this series' episode name gimmick, or? It seems like a particularly random choice of theme and I'm curious if something in particular prompted it. :P
Guessing here, but raocow tends to pick the first title based on a "common element" of the series and then finds a hilariously unrelated pattern from there. The first episode was titled "Wahoo" after Mario's signature yelling.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

see also jiggly zone's 'one pound'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
CM30

Post by CM30 »

Well, the stealth section went a bit better than I expected. Apart from some wall kick related issues and a few minor mistakes due to poor camera setups, raocow managed it pretty well.

Still, it's not that unexpected given how much Kaze toned down the section in the hack's various updates. Version 1 had guards who were virtually psychic and could sense you from way across the room/on top of high ledges/if you were anywhere near them at all. That made that version of the mission an absolutely miserable experience and one of the hardest stealth levels I'd ever seen in a video game.

So yeah, thank god raocow played the easier/fairer version eh?
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

raocow's checklist for that one toad house (complete every single time you enter, NO EXCEPTIONS):

1) kick the toadette picture five times at the bare minimum
2) speak to the ghost in the attic, even though it's clearly just an easter-egg without deeper meaning

edit: sorry about the tooth. hope everything's ok
this is getting laundromatic
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : Tooth Zone

Post by Awoo »

D:

I hope the dentist can help you with your tooth ASAP!
Wish there were more I could do to help you with that. Teeth falling out is something that's pretty shocking and I hate hearing others have it happen to them :c
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image