(shouting)

Last Impact : Final Impact

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Last Impact : Second Bonk (wall is invisible)

Post by Piesonscreations »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago So generally, the backflip is always a better option than the Double Jump. Or you can Side flip if you want to be fancy.
I'm gonna disagree with this. To backflip you need to be in a standstill, and it doesn't allow you to travel much of a distance horizontally. Double jumping gives you basically the same height, can often travel laterally further, gives you the option to kick mid air if you were to undershoot AND still let's you ledgegrab. And when it comes to sideflips, i'd say they're better backflips because you barely need to stop moving, it gives you the same height, and once again, let's you move horizontally further. There is a time and place for all techniques, so best bet is to get used to all of them.
All 3 of these techniques still let you wallkick, so do keep that in mind raocow.
ImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

So from playing a few SM64 hacks on my own I've come to the conclusion that a mistake hackers seem to make is over-complicating their terrain designs. Mario really does not like dealing with slopes when it comes to jumping or moving around. There was probably a reason much of SM64 was made up of very large polygonal shapes and slopes instead of realistic and natural looking ones. Like here in Last Impact we see all the curved edges of rocks and tree branches and mushroom caps and we see how much trouble Mario has interacting with them. There are very few ledges for him to grab on to if the player's jump is just a little too short. Compare to SM64 where almost everything had a 90 degree angle to grab on to. Another thing is that Mario really doesn't work well in an enclosed space since the camera is attached to a physical object in the game and can't always be positioned exactly where you want it to be. I appreciate that hackers are trying to make SM64 look better than its original game, but too often I see them doing it at the cost of keeping Mario fun to control. Last Impact is no exception.

Hopefully the playthrough still goes ok. I know I gave up about halfway through though.
Implo

Post by Implo »

Monkey star is probably the hardest star to get in Course 1. I remember I had a lot of trouble with both camera control and tree roots while running. But on my second playthrough it was quite easy. For me zooming camera closer Mario really helped during running around the tree.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

based on rao's experiences with sm64 hacks, i don't think sm64 hackers understand sm64

they need more pancake in their diet
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago based on rao's experiences with sm64 hacks, i don't think sm64 hackers understand sm64

I doubt raocow is a great representation of a sm64 hack's quality,
given his lack of experience with 3-D games

I know this game gets pretty hard later on, I hope people know what they wanted him to play
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Last Impact : First Impression

Post by Ashan »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago star road was 2 years ago tho, what the heck
Posts that remind me of my frail mortality
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 5 years ago I doubt raocow is a great representation of a sm64 hack's quality,
you could replace raocow with literally randomly chosen inputs ( or twitch i guess ) and i'd still feel the same way

seriously what's with all these ceilings being used instead of walls ( that's not an actual question i know it's because these two hackers so far don't actually understand sm64's collision detection )
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

pannenkoek needs to make a sm64 romhack sometime
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

having your walls and slopes be clearly defined and identifiable in a 3D space is a design protip relevant to most 3D games in general; particularly when the challenge relies on it. It's not just an SM64 thing.
video games
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 5 years ago
Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago based on rao's experiences with sm64 hacks, i don't think sm64 hackers understand sm64

maybe we should make him play more 3d games?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 5 years ago

maybe we should make him play more 3d games?
This LPer is edging dangerously close to becoming the experiment subject of developing senses via selective video games.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : raocow fights the camera!

Post by Awoo »

I think I found the true enemy of this game. Forget the moon, forget those piranha plants, it's...

the camera

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 5 years agoI doubt raocow is a great representation of a sm64 hack's quality,

I know this game gets pretty hard later on, I hope people know what they wanted him to play
I'd think someone who was able to 100% Star Road is adequate for representing a Mario 64 romhack's quality. He's raocow so sure, he's going to make some really baffling moves at times. But his actual skill at games is perfectly fine and as Star Road proved, it can translate to 3d pretty well for someone who plays so few 3d games.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago So generally, the backflip is always a better option than the Double Jump. Or you can Side flip if you want to be fancy.
I'm gonna disagree with this. To backflip you need to be in a standstill, and it doesn't allow you to travel much of a distance horizontally. Double jumping gives you basically the same height, can often travel laterally further, gives you the option to kick mid air if you were to undershoot AND still let's you ledgegrab. And when it comes to sideflips, i'd say they're better backflips because you barely need to stop moving, it gives you the same height, and once again, let's you move horizontally further. There is a time and place for all techniques, so best bet is to get used to all of them.
All 3 of these techniques still let you wallkick, so do keep that in mind raocow.
And I'll have to disagree right back. You did see rao flub the double jump at least 3 times in a row, right? (and the back and side flips are higher)
Sure, the Back Flip removes some mid-air options, but they weren't needed in today's level.
The only reason I didn't suggest the Side Flip as an option is because raocow's still getting used to the physics. And I'm not sure if there will be dead zone issues again.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago So generally, the backflip is always a better option than the Double Jump
And I'll have to disagree right back. You did see rao flub the double jump at least 3 times in a row, right? (and the back and side flips are higher)
Sure, the Back Flip removes some mid-air options, but they weren't needed in today's level. [...]
Well, raocow being able to perform certain movements has nothing to do with backflips being better or worse than the other movement options. I know the backflip is probably the best option for a beginner, but the game is going to be asking a whole lot more than that in the future, so it's best he gets used the mechanics on easier challenges.
ImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Yeah, getting just the right amount of forward movement to activate the double-jump without falling off the ledge you're jumping from is a very specific skill, and we actually saw raocow (re?)aquire it a bit today. Better to practice in a level like this than around moving platforms and hazards.
Sebby19

Re: Last Impact : Third Strike (turkey)

Post by Sebby19 »

Thing is, double-jump can be done standing still :P

So anyways, today... what the heck? Was there not a way to zoom in the camera while swimming?
Reading a youtube comment, someone who had played before said the camera was right behing them.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Implo

Post by Implo »

The shell star for me is probably the hardest star to get in Course 3. First time I had a lot time getting it. That's why I was really surprised when I get it on my first try during my second playthrough. And the trick is very simple - just zoom in the camera. Sure Mario will cover most of the view, but there will be no situation of walls covering yours view. Zoom in camera gives you better camera control in tight situations just like this shell.

Also Course 2 for me is the easiest and overall I really like this place.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Let's play 3D QWOP
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

I don't know, I had a lot of problems with playing vanilla sm64.
Things like having trouble controlling both mario and the camera feel normal to me.
From that perspective this hack looks pretty much the same.
I'm sure there is a big difference as I know others didn't have my problems.
Maybe it's something about being more familiar with the controlling style or something.
I do consider myself pretty good at smSunshine *shrug*

Hopefully rao gets more comfortable with the controls or something.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Last Impact : Happy Turkey Day, raocow

Post by Awoo »

The music in that last level was from the Temple of the Ancients from Final Fantasy VII. Kinda does sound like Banjo Kazooie when ported to the N64's sound chip
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

OOF
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Walls, Mario's greatest foe.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 5 years ago Ceilings disguised as walls, Mario's greatest foe.
gotta correct you right there, walls don't act that way in sm64
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew

Post by DinnerSonic »

Arctangent wrote: 5 years ago
Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 5 years ago Ceilings disguised as walls, Mario's greatest foe.
gotta correct you right there, walls don't act that way in sm64
I'm rusty on my pannenkoeken wall/ceiling physics lately, so I may be wrong, but does this imply that the majority of the issue is just that level designs have the wrong flag/value, and that a decent amount of the jank could be smoothed over simply by running through and fixing those by hand? Or is it due to the angles of the walls themselves, like the mention of how the more detailed sloping ground screws with Mario's physics, and thus would require a lot more work?