(shouting)

[RKS Freudenstachel] „Gelb schmerzt.“

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

[RKS Freudenstachel] „Gelb schmerzt.“

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

(Continued on next post)
Last edited by Joseph Staleknight 5 years ago, edited 45 times in total.
Joseph Staleknight

Re: „Hallo zusammen, hier ist raocow und heute spielen wir ROSENKREUZSTILETTE!“

In the intro of Rosenkreuzstilette, [erka:es] wrote:
Thousands of years have passed since magic was lost to mankind...
Those who knew of its existence were few and far between,
relics of an era long since forgotten...

The rare few born with the gift of magic came to be known as "Magi".
Cursed for their gifts, they endured lives of persecution,
feared by mankind for their "unnatural" abilities.

This injustice spurred one man to action.
A powerful Magus in his own right, he and his eight disciples
rose against the Holy Empire and the Orthodox Church.

It was a long and grueling battle — one that cost the man his life.
But his sacrifice would not be in vain:
Magi would be allowed to live alongside humans... as soldiers of the Empire.

They became known as RKS:
Rosenkreuzstilette, the "Blades of the Rose Cross".

Thus, discrimination against magic-users
seemed to have become a thing of the past...

Still, contempt peered through the veil of acceptance,
slowly eating away at the hearts of the Magi...

A few decades have passed since then...
...in other words, Rosenkreuzstilette is a highly-detailed and lovingly crafted homage to the Mega Man franchise and other retro games, created by the doujin circle [erka:es] and translated by Darksquid Media. Originally released for Japanese audiences back in the tail end of 2007, it gained a small but growing English fanbase in the following years, culminating in the efforts of Darksquid (then known as Darkside Translations) to translate it for the benefit of overseas players. Eventually, it would see a proper English release on Steam and Playism in February 2017.

The game's story revolves around an instructor for the Imperial Army by the name of Spiritia Rosenberg, who had just finished up a six-month assignment training potential recruits. However, she barely gets any time to rest before her favorite student gets kidnapped and the local forest catches on fire. This leads to her discovering her friends and fellow soldiers have begun a revolution against the Empire with the help of their leader, Count Michael Zeppelin. Now, Spiritia must fight against eight of her closest friends in order to get to the bottom of the conspiracy, with only her fairy companion Lilli to support her.

Rosenkreuzstilette proved popular enough that [erka:es] would then create a second game in the series, Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel. However, due to several delays and other mishaps it would not see the light of day until October 2012. That said, its official English Steam/Playism release would follow far more quickly on the heels of the first game's, coming out in October 2017.

This time, the player takes the role of Spiritia's best friend Freudia Neuwahl several months later in the wake of the Count's rebellion, now known to the public as the Walpurgisnacht. By then, the Pope had had enough of what was perceived to be the abuse of the Magi's privilege and so declared all of them heretics and enemies of the state. Despite this, he had assembled a group of elite Magi loyal to the Church's cause to crush the last embers of the resistance. It just so happened that Spiritia ended up on the wrong side of the witch hunt and is now being held captive by said elite team, the Schwarzkreuz. Hence, Freudia (and her newfound fairy companion Strudel) must now resolve the fears of her fellow RKS soldiers, prevent them from doing anything rash, and end the threat of the Schwarzkreuz and the Pope's oppressive decree. Most of all, she must bring Tia back by any means possible...

You can find Rosenkreuzstilette on Steam here and Freudenstachel here. As mentioned before, they're also up on Playism for those who'd rather use that.

(Did I mention these games are as blatantly German as a couple of Japanese game developers could conceive? That's pretty much why I made Spiritia's guest appearance in A2XT what it was.)

I'll be honest. I really want this thread to go swimmingly for the sake of the developers and the translators—as popular as the games are, they're still easily overshadowed by other indie darlings like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, etc., and I don't want either the games or the LP to be undermined by thread drama. Hence, I propose the following policy:
  1. Don't be a butt, like with the art.
  2. Keep it SFW! Anyone who follows the developer WOMI will be familiar with their...other stuff, but that is completely irrelevant to the games.

Yes, that includes a certain boss's signature getup.

3. If you need to talk about things that raocow hasn't gotten to yet, don't forget to hide them in spoiler tags.
  4. While comparing certain scenes to those in other games is fine since the games are homages, avoid dragging the thread completely off-topic. We're still talking about RKS[F], not Mega Man or what have you.
  5. If you have the games, try to play along! It's always nice to see different perspectives on levels and bosses.
I trust that the mods will help resolve any issues stemming from these rules and the violations thereof.

(Special thanks to Griflion for proofreading the thread titles!)
Last edited by Joseph Staleknight 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

been waiting for so long

its been 20XX years since raocow has played a mega mens
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago been waiting for so long

its been 20XX years since raocow has played a mega mens
raocow has never played a mega men, I don't know where you get your silly ideas you silly goose

looking forward to this, should be an interesting change of pace. I'm going to miss Hollow Knight, but all good things must (eventually) come to an end...
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

hey there everyone this is raocow playing all the megamaris
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

This is one of the games that finally made me get Steam. I've been waiting for official English translation for a long time and it was electrifying when it finally came out last year.

This game has homages to not only Megaman classic but also other Megaman subseries and various other things. The RKS Wikia (now known as RKS Fandom, it seems) does a pretty good job elaborating on the story, gameplay mechanics, and trivia of the game.

My advice is do not treat this like an ATMM playthrough. It's a blind playthrough of new territory (although with many homages), so you may need the help you can get from the game, in terms of e-tanks and boss weapons.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh Christ, I had a thread theme planned for this one and everything :(

This is what I get for not following Hollow Knight

(Fun Fact: Y'all will get to see my actual real name in the credits)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Joseph Staleknight

Ooh, nice! Can't wait to see what you contributed once we get there.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Oh, nothing major, ahaha. I'm in the Special Thanks section for doing various minor odd things and being a sounding board for some ideas (and for being a fan for a very long time).

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Just made my purchases and am poised to play along. Looking forward to it.
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

I had a lot of fun playing/streaming it last year and i hope raocow and all the others playing it now will have too.
Also feel free to skip/fly over the text bits, if they don't interest you, because there are a lot of them. At least for a "mega man" game.
Joseph Staleknight

I dunno, man, I think the story's the best part, so I would like to see raocow at least give them a look-see.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yeah wtf no story skipping

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

I agree that the story is more interesting than one would expect.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Griflion wrote: 5 years ago Also feel free to skip/fly over the text bits, if they don't interest you, because there are a lot of them. At least for a "mega man" game.
I don't see how this holds when he's been playing X and Zero games lately
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago
Griflion wrote: 5 years ago Also feel free to skip/fly over the text bits, if they don't interest you, because there are a lot of them. At least for a "mega man" game.
I don't see how this holds when he's been playing X and Zero games lately
i meant the classic series. i thought that was clear. mb
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

OKAY SO

Here's a fun little game that everyone can play along with as this game progresses! When playing RKS and RKS:F as the Mega Man-style character, every stage, even the intro stage, has a unique Game Over screen that is a reference to some other video game (or, occasionally, other Japanese franchise). They range from pretty obvious to crazy obscure.

For anyone that has never played/seen the RKS games before, or has but had not clue what also those wacky Game Over screens were about, try to guess along! I imagine we'll see a few of them over the course of the LP, since these aren't the easiest Mega Man games ever, but any that we don't see are easy enough to just post in the thread.

(Note that there is a dedicated page to these screens on the Wiki ano0maly linked that has all of the answers; if you want to go ahead and spoil yourselves, I only ask you don't spoil others.)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 5 years ago
  1. Don't be a butt.
    • Corollary: Definitely don't be a butt in regards to the art direction. Just trust me on this one.
i don't wanna be a butt, so i'm gonna not be a butt by bowing out of this thread and lp entirely, which i recommend for anyone else honestly

however, i'm still going to drop a thought behind a spoiler (to keep it out of folks' view for anyone who wants to avoid this subject, and because i don't know when the character's going to come up) because i feel really strongly about this one. have a nice day everyone and enjoy the lp!
luste's design and outfit are garbage l*licon bait garbage bullshit disgusting and i will never touch this game because of it
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago
Joseph Staleknight wrote: 5 years ago
  1. Don't be a butt.
    • Corollary: Definitely don't be a butt in regards to the art direction. Just trust me on this one.
i don't wanna be a butt, so i'm gonna not be a butt by bowing out of this thread and lp entirely, which i recommend for anyone else honestly

however, i'm still going to drop a thought behind a spoiler (to keep it out of folks' view for anyone who wants to avoid this subject, and because i don't know when the character's going to come up) because i feel really strongly about this one. have a nice day everyone and enjoy the lp!
luste's design and outfit are garbage l*licon bait garbage bullshit disgusting and i will never touch this game because of it
i can live with this, except the part where you recommend bowing out to everyone. People will know for themselves when/if to bow out.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so just confirming that hollow knight finale is tonight and I'll be starting this tomorrow :O
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

How will the game over screens work? Will raocow actually have to go out of his way to show them all, since there are functionally no "collectibles" otherwise?

Either way, no cleanup! ...probably
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Nah, I'll just post the game over screen in the thread for any stage where he doesn't game over (or he does but edits it, but I feel like this won't happen).

EDIT: Regarding cleanup videos, there is ecactly one unique collectible item in the eight main stages in each game, so a cleanup video would be about 15 seconds or so of meaningful footage. Any cleanup would be best tacked onto the end of the eighth regular stage or onto the beginning of the first fortress stage.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago
EDIT: Regarding cleanup videos, there is ecactly one unique collectible item in the eight main stages in each game, so a cleanup video would be about 15 seconds or so of meaningful footage. Any cleanup would be best tacked onto the end of the eighth regular stage or onto the beginning of the first fortress stage.
Also worth noting that

you can't reenter a stage once you beat it, so you will need to revisit the previous password if you miss the treasure

Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago
Also worth noting that

you can't reenter a stage once you beat it, so you will need to revisit the previous password if you miss the treasure

So that's either 100% that certain level in one shot, you have to beat the stage and the boss again if you missed something or just carry on with what you've got. What else is important?

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

might as well ask now: passwords/saves work on fortress stages, or am I looking at a megamari situation
the chillaxest of dragonsImage