(shouting)

[RKS Freudenstachel] „Gelb schmerzt.“

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Shard1697

Re: [Rosenkreuzstilette] „Der Himmel ist ein sehr Himmelsplatz gefährlich.“

Post by Shard1697 »

Nobody is just coming here to make trouble. Saying something is bad=/=acting in bad faith.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Shard1697 wrote: 5 years ago Nobody is just coming here to make trouble.
I've seen it before.

By the way Lustatem is probably my favorite weapon in this game. It's so useful and so easy to use.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

It's a bit off-putting (and honestly a tad suspicious) to see people trying to pre-emptively defend Luste's character design and/or attempt to shut down criticism of it as somehow invalid or inflammatory. I also have no idea how the OP intends to enforce the alleged "rules" of the thread.

Can't wait for this to happen all over again in RKS:F, where the outfit is three times worse!

Anyway, Freudia's main game over screen is a parody of Racing Lagoon, a 1999 Square title that never saw the light of day outside Japan. Today's is, I think, one of the most obvious ones given the likely gaming background of the type of person that would be playing this game, and I was a little sad when raoguy said he had no idea what it was from. I was reasonably positive you'd played this game, in fact, but I suppose it's possible you haven't, or that you've played it but have never seen the jewel case?

RKS03_JP.png
RKS03_JP.png (340.72 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
RKS03_EN.png
RKS03_EN.png (395.21 KiB) Viewed 3766 times
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

If it helps, Kilgamayan, I just clarified the Corollary to mean that we shouldn't be wasting time arguing over the art when there's gameplay to be had.

Also, I am going to eat my nonexistent hat if raocow fails to get the reference that game-over screen made.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I indeed failed to recognise that it refered to a jewel case, for some reason I thought the references where like all iconic game over screens somehow :oops:
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

This LP is half a megaman, half a german class.
ImageImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago Lustatem - Desire's Breath
I don't know if this is just a localization thing again or if they want to be a little less...direct, but "Lust" (loost) pretty directly translates to the English lust. Desire is "Verlangen".

Apart from its few special sounds (like the eu = oi, au = ow, ei = I [not ee!]), German usually pronounces every letter; non-natives, especially French and English (so, you double lose, raocow) tend to overcompensate. So this time, you almost got the title right, but the e at the end of Stilette is pronounced as well!*

Full thing again:
Rro (roll it a little!)
ssen (hard s)
kroits
shtee
let
te (and blend the two t together to a short hard one)

German's a harsh language in many senses of the word!

*this means that Luste's name is pronounced "Loose-teh", but with a short and emphazised uh instead of the longer oo sound.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

A few more guesses at future video titles:
  • aged monarch
  • i pick coupon
  • hated
  • dual arc
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years ago This LP is half a megaman, half a german class.
And 1/8th CP
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago I don't know if this is just a localization thing again or if they want to be a little less...direct, but "Lust" (loost) pretty directly translates to the English lust. Desire is "Verlangen".
It's what it says on the little weapon image banner when selected in the weapon select screen, so localization choice.

Without going into the reasons why using the direct word here instead of a synonym might be a bad choice, it also sounds cooler, which fits Luste's theme since she's trying to become a flashy superhero. Whether or not she is succeeding at it is another story.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago A few more guesses at future video titles:
  • aged monarch
  • i pick coupon
  • hated
  • dual arc
It took me a little while to solve these ones before I realized you were referencing

the Zeppelin Castle bosses

:P
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago I don't know if this is just a localization thing again or if they want to be a little less...direct, but "Lust" (loost) pretty directly translates to the English lust. Desire is "Verlangen".
English "lust" is pretty much corresponds to German "Wollust"(not that that's the most common word in everyday parlance these days vis-à-vis the English term); it's pretty much exclusively sexual desire, and typically suggests a moderate to strong intensity. German "Lust", in contrast, can refer to pretty much anything, even something like doing the laundry, and doesn't necessarily have to be a particularly strong urge; a mild inclination is fine. "Desire" is a reasonable translation in some contexts, or maybe better still "want", particularly when it's a mundane, easily fulfillable desire; "Ich gehe zur Post, hast du Lust mitzukommen?" would best be translated "I'm going to the post office, do you want to come along?" In contrast "I'm going to the Post office, do you desire to come along?" makes sense, but seems to add a bit too much importance and weight to the question, whereas "I'm going to the post office, do you lust after coming along?" doesn't really make much sense, even if you have an envelope fetish, as you can't really lust after an act in English, just a physical thing (typically a person).

"Verlangen" is also a good translation of "desire" in some contexts, though it particularly suggests a strong and unfulfilled longing. "Begierde" is also good for suggesting a physical appetite, particularly in a sexual sense. A one-to-one correspondence is hard to find with words like these; the various German and English terms each have particular nuances that the others don't, so it's hard to say what's best without context. And since our actual context here is mostly gooftastical nonsense, it's kind of hard to say what a "good" translation would be for the weapon names and the like.

Speaking of gooftastical nonsense, I wonder if the obviously very normal German name "Luste" which this game certainly didn't pull out of its Dada word bag isn't intended as a (misslungenes) attempt at calque of the French name "Désirée". Even then, though, we run in to the issue of shades of nuance between languages; the intended meaning of the French name is more along the lines of "wanted, wished for", where as calling someone "desired" in English again most immediately suggests sexual connotations barring further context. Alas, operating with the optimal optative is not always so obvious.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 5 years ago If it helps, Kilgamayan, I just clarified the Corollary to mean that we shouldn't be wasting time arguing over the art when there's gameplay to be had.
I mean, independent of everything else, I still don't understand how you intend to enforce these alleged thread rules when you have no forum power to do so. Honestly, I suspect there would have been less of a to-do if those "rules" weren't in place; at the very least, they're clearly not holding people back. (At most, I imagine forum mods may get on the populace's case for lots of meta-commentary in place of actual video discussion.)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago Honestly, I suspect there would have been less of a to-do if those "rules" weren't in place; at the very least, they're clearly not holding people back.
I agree with this.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

They should really be seen as not mod edicts/orders and rather just guidelines for thread creator to steer the general direction of the thread. I feel that my previous response to Grounder was missed, so I'll reiterate: these policies aren't anything new. Not acting disruptive and like a jerk is common sense, and we've had issues with spoilers not long ago, etc. The mods remain in charge of stepping in if needed.

I can see that the statement about the artwork is the one that can look strange at a first glance. I would say the point of that statement isn't on "about the art", but instead on not misbehaving about it. I guess you could argue it's redundant; it seems to be there because it's what is most expected to bring some frowns or reactions. Reactions are fine if you don't overstep the line on forum conduct. I don't particularly care for Luste's designs either.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

ano0maly wrote: They should really be seen as not mod edicts/orders and rather just guidelines for thread creator to steer the general direction of the thread. I feel that my previous response to Grounder was missed, so I'll reiterate: these policies aren't anything new. Not acting disruptive and like a jerk is common sense, and we've had issues with spoilers not long ago, etc. The mods remain in charge of stepping in if needed.

I can see that the statement about the artwork is the one that can look strange at a first glance. I would say the point of that statement isn't on "about the art", but instead on not misbehaving about it. I guess you could argue it's redundant; it seems to be there because it's what is most expected to bring some frowns or reactions. Reactions are fine if you don't overstep the line on forum conduct. I don't particularly care for Luste's designs either.
If the proposed thread policy was worded the way you described it, both in your linked post and in this one, then I think there'd be less of an issue. The issue, as I see it, is that the thread policy as written can be reasonably read both in the way you are reading it... and in a more heavy-handed, "trying to play mini-mod" (to use Grounder's phrase) way.

In particular, and in my opinion, the last line of the post supports the latter read: "I trust that the mods will help resolve any issues stemming from these rules and the violations thereof." Calling the proposed thread policy "rules" rather than a "proposed" "policy" (which terms the post does use as well, I'm aware), and implicitly suggesting that "violations" of those "rules" will be dealt with by mod action, I think contributes to the "mini-mod" interpretation that at least some folks have.

It's just flat-out difficult to write policies, or rules, or guidelines, in a way that isn't subject to multiple reasonable interpretations.

A related comment on the "art direction" piece follows in the spoiler box.
I can see the revised "corollary" also hurting rather than helping, thanks to two things it does:
  • It puts an argument in peoples' mouths that they haven't actually said. "We get it, it's the most anime thing people have seen" - nobody has said this. What people (multiple people) have said is much closer to ano0maly's formulation: "we all can see that the art can be somewhat questionable (due to traces of what the game was originally meant to be)." Nobody appreciates their legitimate and expressed concerns being twisted. So people who have voiced the issues with Luste's design are not likely to react well to seeing their clearly articulated concerns misdescribed as "it's the most anime thing people have seen."
  • It tells people "thou shalt not talk about X." "Let's just put that aside and look at that crazy gameplay!" - this is, I think, reasonably read as "you're not allowed to say critical comments about the art." I know ano0maly has said the policy shouldn't be read that way. I agree it would be better if the policy weren't susceptible to that interpretation. But, as it reads now, I think it still is.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Looked to be a case where staying away from the edges was your best bet in that fight. Also, another Mega Man game where you get an E-Tank that you immediately have to use. Just like old times!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

chiming in only to say that the thread title right now is perfect.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Joseph Staleknight

Re: [Rosenkreuzstilette] „WER WAGT ES ZU VERSUCHEN DIE ZEITBOMBE AUFZUHALTEN?!“

If anyone asks, that is indeed a motherducking JoJo reference.

RKS-007: Sichte Meister (/ZIHH-te MEYE-ster/)

The leader of the RKS Strike Force, a position she earned due to her keen acumen and sound judgement. That said, her childhood was not a happy one due to being born and raised in the slums of Zuverburg--this may explain her weapon of choice being knives. It is highly recommended you do not get on her bad side, as she is not known to forgive easily; otherwise, she is a great ally due to her kindness. Her learnable ability, Die Geplante Zukunft (/dee ge-PLAN-te TSOO-koonft/), gives her access to the flow of time (if not the direction).

"Your future has already been decided. I am merely clearing the way for you."

GOOD POINT: Caring visionary
BAD POINT: Has little faith in adults
DISLIKES: Those who impede her goals

Trivia:
  • Her first name, combined with part of her hometown's name, creates the German word Zuversicht, meaning "confidence" or "trust". Her last name, in addition to being a reference to highly prolific game designer Heinz Meister, also leads to her full name meaning "Master of Confidence/Trust". It at least works for her peers.
  • Also, while some may claim that she's a Sakuya Izayoi reference, she leans more towards her own inspiration, Dio Brando. This is supported by Sichte also attacking with emeralds like Noriaki Kakyoin

as well as having a move in Freudenstachel reminiscent of Road Roller Da

. Hence, why I brought up JoJo earlier.
Last edited by Joseph Staleknight 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

It's kinda weird how 1-ups don't respawn after dying, and it made me think: I've always hated in Mega Man games how it incentives you to kill yourself if you're at the beginning of a stage with no lives or less lives than you get after a Game Over. And a simple solution to this would be to just put a respawning 1-up at the beginning of every stage. Then you just keep getting 1-ups every time you die before getting to the midpoint. Even better, make it so when you enter a stage you always start with the 2 lives so you don't have to kill yourself if you get there with 0 or 1 lives.

This is nothing really specific to this game, just a thought I had.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Even better, just abolish the lives system because it's a vestigial mechanic carried over all the way from arcade games and in almost all platformers it serves no purpose other than to once in a while make you redo something you already know you can do.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

heh, i was so close with my video title guess
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 5 years ago (/dee ge-PLAN-te ZOO-kunft/)
I do believe you mean "TSOO-koonft". Unless your favorite Italian dish is Pisa.

(Also, it's "ZIHH-te", all singular S's immediately before a vowel being pronounced as /z/ in German.)
Joseph Staleknight

My bad. Corrected the pronunciation accordingly.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So you have seen your first interaction with boss order. I don't believe this has a change in this game mechanically, but it gets you extra story blurbs. Grolla is basically Sichte's bodyguard, so whichever of them you defeat first will have the other come in to break the fight up. I think the dialogue for the other one you didn't defeat will also change when you encounter them.

There is another pair with this interaction that you haven't fought yet, just a heads up.

Die Geplante Zukunft - The Planned Future

Uncharged: Uses weapon energy to freeze time for a while. During this time, Tia is only able to fire Sichte's Emerald Daggers(Crystals?), and cannot use Seelegewehr. They seem to do the same damage as lemons, and have the same 3-shot screen limit.

I also do not believe you are able to pause the game to switch weapons to cancel out of this move, so plan carefully.

Charged: This weapon has no charged version.
Last edited by Chirei 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.