(shouting)

8 Powers Full Version - "THANK YOU!" text

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

8 Powers Full Version - "THANK YOU!" text

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Thanks to tangeruse for the image.

hi(´・ω・`)

Yeah, it's me again. I translated and console-fixed this hack with the help of Ryrir and Super Maks 64. It's one of the first things I started on after joining the talkhaus. I remember it like it was only a couple of months ago...
Check out our thread if you want to download it. [shamelessplug]There's also a number of other fixed and translated Japanese ones, as well as just plain fixed English ones:
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17811
With more on the way.[/shamelessplug]

This hack was made in 2012 by a Japanese author calling himself Mizuno. (Who by the way was pretty cool about our recent fix and translation of the hack.) Like suggested by raocow in the last video of his Wario Land 3 LP, this one's a long time coming. He first played it in 2012 under the mistaken assumption that it was finished at the time, even though it was still a WIP. As for the hack itself, it's somewhat of a time capsule of 2012, with various gimmicks and custom ASM that were popular at the time featuring heavily. I'll be honest, and without giving away too much, this hack shows a definite learning curve on the author's part, with the first world looking for a large part like baby's first steps and making some design decisions that make people these days scream bloody murder. The levels do tend to be pretty short, which means they typically don't overstay their welcome, unless you have a very short temper/not much patience. I do think that the levels get more interesting later on, to the point that I was glad to have played it myself. Overall, this hack definitely has its flaws which I'm sure will be getting brought up, but I think it's an interesting look into a new level creator learning the tools and trying out a bunch of custom ASM they found in creative ways, even if the result wasn't always that fun to play.

In short, the hack's nothing groundbreaking, but I'd almost say it stands out to me for almost that exact reason.

1 - territorial oak
2 - red antoid
3 - demonic petunia
4 - trillionage sprout
5 - wooly shambler
6 - wetnosaur
7 - manly fish
8 - manly fish's brother
9 - thirsty coil snake
10 - soul consuming flame
11 - shattered man
12 - unassuming local guy
13 - thunder mite
14 - conducting menace
15 - thunder and storm
16 - mole playing rough
17 - care free bomb
18 - carbon dog
final - 19 - kraken
Last edited by This Eye o' Mine 5 years ago, edited 19 times in total.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - Time for player to face the screen

Post by Super Maks 64 »

No thanks, I don't need tequilla, I'll just have a glass of orange juice please.

Also I had no involvement in this whatsoever.

Reserved
This Eye o' Mine

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - Time for player to face the screen

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago Also I had no involvement in this whatsoever.
Oh come on, remember when you diagnosed that misplaced label in that ASM file?

Really though, I probably wouldn't have been able to fix any hack if I hadn't had your feedback while learning this stuff.
This Eye o' Mine

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - Empty

And he's off!
It's nice to see raocow play more ROM hacks again lately, even if it is a retreading of old ground in this case.

Just to prevent confusion: we did not in fact include a dragon coin counters patch for this one. We did include one for all of the VIPs prior to 4 (which obviously has them on its own). Our version of this hack only has optional FastROM, which in hindsight I did kind of a lackluster job on preparing, and which isn't really necessary for the few points of lag this hack has anyway. It does reduce scanline flickering in one particular level though, so meh.

Oh and yeah, OVERBURN was previously called OVERDURN, but even if you don't like the fact that I changed that I'll say that

the original title was most likely a typo, and the translation is in all likelihood what the author intended it to mean, which will become pretty clear once you see the level.

Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

@ OVER DURN > OVERBURN

Nothing of importance is really lost here, aside from the confusion about what "OVER DURN" is supposed to be / people mocking bad english.
So I think it was a good decision.

@ Flat

Nothing like some good old vast surfaces with a few enemies sprinkled on top to really stretch those Mario legs. Thinking about it, just moving Mario around *is* really fun! And I have a hunch that this was more than welcome after Wario Land 3's far less momentum-based physics.

@ Level 1 Music

I like the level music in that first level. I think VIP 5 has a slower version of that music in its main overworld and it sounded really nice and soothing.

@ Yoshi's Island Cave Theme

same
video games
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

So, why is there a specific key hole icon instead of red dots? Just a quirk?
Now, while i did begin to watch raocow before 2012, i do not recall this hack at all, so i'm interested to see what it has in store.
ImageImage
This Eye o' Mine

Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years ago So, why is there a specific key hole icon instead of red dots? Just a quirk?
As far as I can tell, whether a level dot is red or not has no bearing on the amount of exits. Maybe Mizuno just didn't like depending on color, which some types of levels don't even have. Maybe he thought that having red dots in certain places on the overworld would look weird, and vice versa. The fact that the dot color doesn't indicate anything would explain why he put a message box outright at the start telling you what the keyhole symbol means, since it nudges the player towards relying on that instead.

On a related note, some might think explaining what the keyhole means to be a bit obvious besides this, but if you look back in time there wasn't always a concensus on what it should mark exactly. For example, we found out while doing VIP 3 that that hack only has a keyhole symbol on levels that actually have a key and keyhole in them for the secret exit. There's also unmarked levels which have a secret exit that's just another goalpost.

Speaking of symbols, another change I made was to the No Yoshi symbol. It was a question mark in the Japanese version, but this ended up interfering with at least one of the level names, making it look like a question. So, I changed it to a bold 'Y' instead, which stands out enough from the normal font to make it clear that it's not part of the level name. I did think having a 'Y' to mean 'No Y' could be weird in its own right, but then the original question mark is arguably even less relevant to what it's trying to convey.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I have a sense that the beginning of this is gonna be a tad boring. Hopefully the difficulty picks up sooner rather than later.
Piesonscreations wrote: 5 years ago So, why is there a specific key hole icon instead of red dots? Just a quirk?
The color system in SMW is kinda dumb cause 1. I don't think it's explained anywhere in-game (I had no idea that was a thing when I was a kid, I assumed it was some kind of difficulty indicator) and 2. it doesn't appear on ghost houses or castles (I know castles in SMW don't have secret exits but you can do that in a hack)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I'm pretty sure they explain it in a point of advice, i thought
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

1-exit levels being yellow and 2-exit levels being red is purely a collectively adopted convention that's carried over from the original game's design -- the goal of which remains being a convenience to the player, for them to tell if a level has a secret exit or not. The keyhole in the level name does one better - since now, even buildings like Ghost Houses and Fortresses can be marked. From what I understand, red level dots are reserved for the eight Power Spots.
video games
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago I'm pretty sure they explain it in a point of advice, i thought
Uhhh you might be right
I think I played SMW before I could read, my point about ghost houses stands though!
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Obviously, given raocow's diatribe about how one's name isn't their profession, he has never heard of Lord Judge.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I found the beginning of this game pretty boring in raocow's first playthrough back in the day, so I think I'll skip the next few episodes.

I've heard this game gets better as it goes, though, so I'm curious to see the stuff that wasn't in the demo.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago I'm pretty sure they explain it in a point of advice, i thought
Attachments
yep.png
yep.png (44.7 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

This hack looks really interesting, I think I remember when raocow played through the unfinished version years ago, too
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
yep.png
Photoshopped
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
yep.png
Photoshopped
Literally the first red dot level
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - Yoshi has been saved for the first time

Post by Leet »

eight powers, everybody!! (applause)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
This Eye o' Mine

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - ...the next lightning flash is generated

I thought the custom Eerie fight in Demonic Forest was actually a pretty clever spin on that boss. The whole setup with the boo cloud and the sprite turning invisible is pretty intimidating until you realize that the boo cloud never hits you as long as you don't jump, and then the challenge becomes about anticipating where the Eerie is going to be when you throw the blocks upward.

Speaking of that level, it was just brought to my attention that I forgot to carry over the no yoshi marker in the name from the Japanese version. I'm sure that this has absolutely ruined the viewing experience for everybody, and I shall have to retire my work from now on. Or maybe release an update at some point, one of the two.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

@ Boss

yeah I liked that too. It's an actual proper use of the Boo Cloud!

@ Secret Exits

that last one really feels more like they were just meant as a way to split the paths. The author probably didn't figure out a way to have a single exit create a branching path / it was too much of a hassle for very small return / didn't even know they could do that.
video games
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think I actually agree with this hack's author: If you already need an icon in the title to mean "this fortress/ghost house has a secret exit", why even bother keeping the "red level" concept? Dots that are red can be mostly-decorative instead, like all the other map spot types.

Actually, wait. Do big dots traditionally mean anything in SMW/hacks? I've never been sure.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I always took them to mean the level was a bit bigger than others, but I don't think even vanilla SMW is very consistent about that.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

Vanilla Dome 1, Vanilla Dome 3, Forest of Illusion 1, and Valley of Bowser 2. Those were the "big dot" levels in the vanilla game.

from the top of my head, they don't really have anything in common.
video games
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I remember one hack had the big dots mean you can save when you beat the level.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Actually, wait. Do big dots traditionally mean anything in SMW/hacks? I've never been sure.
One of the biggest mysteries of SMW
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)