(shouting)

8 Powers Full Version - "THANK YOU!" text

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Shard1697

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - Mega Mole X

Post by Shard1697 »

Their arms are absolutely a toothy grin.

I think kids are especially primed to see it that way because you see banzi bill first, and those have no arms and a big mouth.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

This is actually the first time I'm hearing that's supposed to be arms.

I mean, I'm vaguely aware that they have arms in 3d marios, but I never made that connection in my head because in the 2d marios it's so clearly a grin.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago This is actually the first time I'm hearing that's supposed to be arms.

I mean, I'm vaguely aware that they have arms in 3d marios, but I never made that connection in my head because in the 2d marios it's so clearly a grin.
It wouldn't surprise me if that was done on purpose, but it's pretty obvious if you look at them in action

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Gosh the music for the last stage today was driving me nuts because I knew I knew it.

Turns out it's the Velvet Room theme from the Persona games.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

So what are the Mario physics behind the last couple of indigo hammer bros just falling through the floor?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago So what are the Mario physics behind the last couple of indigo hammer bros just falling through the floor?
Hammer brothers jump between platforms. If a hammer brother isn't set up properly it might think the floor is a platform.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - HAMMER BROTHER and attributes

Post by Mandew »

Because of the very simplistic mentality in the level design, I was capable of performing some analysis and inspection on it.

From recent findings, I believe that, for levels focused on challenge, relevant jigsaw pieces can be split into 4 different categories:
- Obstacles
- Motivators
- Sources of Restraint
- Sources of Pressure

With Obstacles being set in your path to be overcome, Motivators forcing you to move onwards, Restraint controlling parts of the screen, and Pressure creating a psychological impact such as anxiety/fear/dread/intimidation/raising of the stakes. These are not mutually exclusive, mind you. These are also not defined by the designer, but by real effects on the players.

With that premise in mind, let's take a look at the second part of Fire Panic. The Fire Disco is a very imposing source of restraint - controlling big parts of the left and right of the screen in a very variable and not-very-easy-to-grasp dynamic pattern. For the most part, it forces the player to take their time.

Then, we have the Layer 2 lava, which is -also- a source of restraint - that is, controlling the bottom half of the screen. It's also a motivator, as you want to get to where it's safe before the lava comes get you.

Two independent, unsynchronized sources of restraint don't typically go well together - especially when a dynamic one is involved. So often, it ends up controlling so much of the screen that, at times, safe places are indistinguishable from unsafe ones.
video games
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - "THANK YOU!" text

Post by raocow »

man, nobody posting on a game's finale is the saddest thing. I'm not saying 'hey people you should post' or anything like that, I mean this as a decleration of fact.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I don't know how much you can say about that final boss, really. The game was fine, but it just kinda happened, and I can see why I couldn't remember a thing about it. Surprisingly, and I don't know if it's just me, but I began to find the game less interesting the harder it got (?) strange.
Really looking forward to mario 64 tho lol
ImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Only have so much time to watch videos nowadays while also getting my own work done, sadly. The A-side's been the stuff I've had to skip lately, B-side generally gets a go if it's a game I know I'm not going to play (Hollow Knight was skipped for now since I might), and the C-side is almost a daily watch and is more than that on days when I'm catching up. Just is how it is here.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

sorry raocow but I just skip almost all SMW games nowadays & anyways I saw you play like the first half of this one the first time so
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I've been watching the A side.
I just didn't have anything else to add beyond what raocow already summed up.
Some games are like that. This was one of them.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Oh I was going to make a joke about "we've fought many touhou bosses, but this might be the first time we've fought a seihou boss!"
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, I didn't really think there was much more to say about that ending than what you did in the video. ^^;
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago man, nobody posting on a game's finale is the saddest thing. I'm not saying 'hey people you should post' or anything like that, I mean this as a decleration of fact.
Remember that some of us have jobs. I noticed on some days during Wario Land 3, there would be nothing until I got home, anyways. Unless I did something controversial :-P
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Looking at the projectiles from that boss: at 5:10, raocow reacts to the shot in about 7 frames(in 30 fps video) and starts turning around, but is still not fast enough to avoid the hit due to mario's acceleration. (I do not think standing still would have helped this.)

Normal human reaction time is roughly 0.25 seconds for visual stimulus. raocow's reaction was slightly faster than that, and still was not enough. And broadly speaking, you do not actually want your game to be right up against the limits of a normal human's reaction time in the first place...

That's not even getting into how the projectile's readability is quite bad with the mostly black background, and the fact that it's not just a pure test of reaction speed-you also have to interpret which direction the projectile is headed and whether it will intersect with you or not, which also takes time, like all cognition. Or how if mario is big(or even more if he's jumping), this becomes even more unreasonable.

You give games a lot of credit, this is a situation where you really don't need to give this any more than it's earned. you're not exaggerating or just tilted, it's bad
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

The game kind of just left me with zero final impression - no real feeling or lasting impact. The background in the Boss Refight Hub left me with a lot more to talk about than the final boss itself.
video games
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was gonna post in this thread but it was only to say I'm excited for another SM64 hack

Yeah I don't know, this game didn't impress me all that much. If anything is memorable from it it's gonna be "OVERDURN." It's a first hack and it shows. I mean, it's better than most first hacks but it's still a first hack.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: 8 Powers Full Version - "THANKS, YOU!" text

Post by Awoo »

Oh, I can see why you chose Kraken for this

Quite the sour note to end on. I would have commented earlier cowrao but I had a full day of work and likely another decently long day tomorrow, too. Looking forward to the next thing you play, should be neat to see something SM64 related :o
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I actually enjoyed watching this hack, but yeah, nothing really to say.