(shouting)

Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

Post by Grounder »

okay yeah seriously

rao being upset that someone told him where the golf game he hates is going to have to be played after it was long established he hated it rubbed me the wrong way
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I dunno, I think it's more a general resentment/gradual acceptance of his spoiler-ridden LP life, combined with not knowing just how tedious the upper part of the level would be. I suspect he'd be a lot angrier had he ascended all the way to the Mini-Game Block, had to descend, angrily golf, RE-ascend, and then do all that zombie nonsense, but he couldn't have known that at the point he was sighing about being told he had to do the golf first. Of course he knows there are people like me and besidethebishop who enjoy seeing him get mad at video games, so losing the blind factor is kind of unfortunate, but personally I like seeing him get mad at hard, challenging, interesting levels, not frustrating, tedious levels and Wario Land 3 falls firmly on the latter side of that difference. When it comes to avoiding the worst of bad design, without actually skipping content, minor spoilers like "you'll probably want to do X first before you do Y" without any further context seems more than acceptable to me.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago okay yeah seriously

rao being upset that someone told him where the golf game he hates is going to have to be played after it was long established he hated it rubbed me the wrong way
this whole situation and mindspace related to said situation is complicated
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

like I dunno the thread has felt tense for a few days and when it does it tends to affect me without realising it.

also, to be fair, as it was said, when I said that I had no idea at the time how annoying the climb would be :I
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

is this the worst backseating in a lp youve ever experienced
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Who knew it'd be a Wario game to tear this community apart?
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Who knew it'd be a Wario game to tear this community apart?
He is Nintendo's embodiment of greed and selfishness, after all.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

if we're like this over Wario land 3 i shudder to think what La-Mulana will be like
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i've already expressed my concerns towards the la-mulana LP like a dozen times now but yeah

honestly, raocow, if you want to play that game unspoiled, just outright disable comments and lock the game thread it's not gonna happen otherwise
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago (i did spend a lot of time on that post though, because i constantly second-guess myself when writing forum posts, mainly out of fear that one very small mistake or word choice will get all the attention over everything else i said. but i did unwittingly set myself up for this one)
I can certainly say, with how frustrated I get with the emotionally constipated jack-offs that absolutely flood the internet and make it a worse place for everyone involved, that I appreciate leet's approach and the fact that someone else took the time to break down why the fact that conflict on a lot of websites takes the form of an evergrowing pile of microaggression is a bowl of dick eels.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i've already expressed my concerns towards the la-mulana LP like a dozen times now but yeah

honestly, raocow, if you want to play that game unspoiled, just outright disable comments and lock the game thread it's not gonna happen otherwise
it could go mostly fine if raocow's prepared to take down notes at least but otherwise it's just gonna be a trainwreck even if comments are disabled I think
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago if we're like this over Wario land 3 i shudder to think what La-Mulana will be like
Everyone VS Voltgloss, most likely.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago
Parama wrote: 5 years ago i've already expressed my concerns towards the la-mulana LP like a dozen times now but yeah

it could go mostly fine if raocow's prepared to take down notes at least but otherwise it's just gonna be a trainwreck even if comments are disabled I think
yeah that's also the thing the design of the game is also inherently anti-raocow
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I tried my best on day one to ask politely for people to not spoil stuff, and leave stuff that could be spoilers in ispoilers, essentially.

And what happens?

It's super disappointing.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

pholtos wrote: 5 years ago I tried my best on day one to ask politely for people to not spoil stuff, and leave stuff that could be spoilers in ispoilers, essentially.

And what happens?

It's super disappointing.

I always do my best :3

Still, ouch, it's super frustrating to see spoilers and stuff everywhere when it's detrimental to raocow's play style, even if it's people just trying to be helpful. Can't win them all :c
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago
Plutia wrote: 5 years ago if we're like this over Wario land 3 i shudder to think what La-Mulana will be like
Everyone VS Voltgloss, most likely.
I've been summoned

Seriously though, I have thought a LONG time about how the La-Mulana thread can best assist raocow should look like, and this is what I've come up with:

- A post (or posts) in the beginning of the thread maintained by the topic creator which lists the text of clues raocow has read, to serve as a resource for rao (or whomever) wants to read back over things he has seen, but which does NOT spoil any puzzles and does NOT include any clues that raocow hasn't already seen

- A post in the beginning of the thread maintained by the topic creator which lists paths raocow has observed but not yet chosen to take, as a resource for rao to read when he's thinking "where haven't I gone yet." This would list only paths that raocow specifically took note of during his adventure. For example, if rao enters a room from the left, vocally notes that there are paths exiting up and down, and goes up but never returns to go down, then that room's down exit would be on the list. The possibility of that room having a secret exit to the right that raocow hasn't noticed would NOT be spoiled.

- ALL spoilers in discussion behind spoiler tags.

- ALL backseat recommendations as to which way raocow should go, or what he should/shouldn't tackle next, behind spoiler tags.

Any other thoughts/ideas? What can be done, community-wise, to forestall what's happening now from happening again?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Oh and also:
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago rao being upset that someone told him where the golf game he hates is going to have to be played after it was long established he hated it rubbed me the wrong way
Where was this spoiler? A Youtube comment?
If so, then raocow, you are going to have to just not look at Youtube comments at all during La-Mulana because there is NO way that amorphous mass of "helpers" can restrain themselves
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm doubting the La-Mulana LP will be completely blind. Who hasn't seen one of Deceased Crab's 3 LP's?
Though, even none blind, La-Mulana is still super hard and confusing. It'd be an interesting LP, for sure.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoWho hasn't seen one of Deceased Crab's 3 LP's?
...Me?

Since Voltgloss has a carefully set up plan for the La-Mulana thread, maybe he should make the thread for it.

(Also the golf did look frustrating)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

IIRC Golf has a pretty easy to remember strat to it.

Par 3: Full power = Hole in one.
Par 4: Full power, check course with right, adjust power accordingly.
Par 5: Full Power twice, check with right, adjust power accordingly.
Naturally there could be a course where full power is incorrect right away, then you simply adjust the first shot, full power the second.

That works in almost every situation.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoWho hasn't seen one of Deceased Crab's 3 LP's?
Totally off-topic:
Does he still do LPs? I haven't seen one of his in probably about 10 years or so. Makes me happy that he and raocow both have an LP of VVVVV, but also kinda makes me wanna see raocow play through Cocoron or Eversion too
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

DC is LPing the sequel right now. Not that I watched past the first few episodes.
His long breaks between LPs kinda killed his popularity, in my opinion.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Who hasn't seen one of Deceased Crab's 3 LP's?
Me, since not everything watches or even knows Deceased Crab

Voltgloss wrote:
Seriously though, I have thought a LONG time about how the La-Mulana thread can best assist raocow should look like, and this is what I've come up with:

- A post (or posts) in the beginning of the thread maintained by the topic creator which lists the text of clues raocow has read, to serve as a resource for rao (or whomever) wants to read back over things he has seen, but which does NOT spoil any puzzles and does NOT include any clues that raocow hasn't already seen

- A post in the beginning of the thread maintained by the topic creator which lists paths raocow has observed but not yet chosen to take, as a resource for rao to read when he's thinking "where haven't I gone yet." This would list only paths that raocow specifically took note of during his adventure. For example, if rao enters a room from the left, vocally notes that there are paths exiting up and down, and goes up but never returns to go down, then that room's down exit would be on the list. The possibility of that room having a secret exit to the right that raocow hasn't noticed would NOT be spoiled.

- ALL spoilers in discussion behind spoiler tags.

- ALL backseat recommendations as to which way raocow should go, or what he should/shouldn't tackle next, behind spoiler tags.
This sound rather good, I'd appreciate if you would make the thread for it.
Another thing what could be important is to note down where which clues were.

I hope and expect that at least in that thread/youtube comments, the spoilers aren't that abundant because less people played la-mulana than wario land 3 (i suppose).They should understand that playing it blind has a pretty great impact on the whole experience, especially in comparison of wl3.

Another point i want to make to the whole "spoil things that are stupid" in consideration of the golf game in Above the Clouds: IMO if one get's spoiled of stuff that sucks/are stupid/silly in a game, it kinda makes it difficult the judge a game on its own merit. I'd have loved to hear raocow's genuine opinion on the game/level/whatever but since he got spoiled of stuff that could have impacted his judgement... this will not happen.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Griflion wrote: 5 years agoMe, since not everything watches or even knows Deceased Crab
Honestly I'd recommend against it. DC seems to have kinda become a dick. Despite having made it abundantly clear in like the first video of La-Mulana 2 that he'd already completely beaten the game he still got extremely pissy at me for simply posting an area's name. Rather than just asking me to remove the name from my message he decided it was a good idea to publicly call me out and try to antagonize me instead. It just about made me unsubscribe from him right then and there. It wasn't even actual spoilers either. It was literally just the name of one of the fields.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

if I remember right, raocow specifically avoded watching DC's LP of LM partly because he might LP it.
Voltgloss wrote: Seriously though, I have thought a LONG time about how the La-Mulana thread can best assist raocow should look like, and this is what I've come up with:
All this seems right to me.