(shouting)

Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Nimono

Re: Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

Post by Nimono »

rpgfan4 wrote: 5 years ago

You're thinking of the Green Chest, the Red Chest is available right now.

Really? I thought Red Chest wasn't available until you could lift the large enemies. I don't even really remember what Daytime does to Castle of Illusion anyway

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It took me awhile to remember, but daylight does do something to the castle. Hopefully, raocow will be able to observe it, and not wander blindly around the castle forever. The Red Treasure IS possible.

If there is a case that the game points out a treasure Wario can't actually get (like the Red Crown early on), I will indicate it as such on the flowchart. There is only one other possible instance of this, however.

I've slightly updated the flowchart again (including this morning's post earlier, previous page), as I noticed some artifacts on the treasures that I'm still trying to figure out how they got there. Thankfully I caught it in time, I think the 3rd Music Box and the Steel Overalls are the only ones that still have artifacts. I think the only thing I did to create the artifacts was just save the master image on Paint.net, but why would it effect the quality of the image? It's .png, not .jpeg.
I don't like Paint.net, pretty unintuitive for a 1st timer (not that I'm using this for the 1st time, that was years ago).

I've also added a couple milestone facts onto the chart. I know someone won't like it, but, just let me have these two, kay? The flowchart is going to get really crazy now, so I rather add them now, then sift through a ton of BBcode trying to find the right spot, when it's relevant later.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
I've also added a couple milestone facts onto the chart. I know someone won't like it, but, just let me have these two, kay? The flowchart is going to get really crazy now, so I rather add them now, then sift through a ton of BBcode trying to find the right spot, when it's relevant later.
honestly that's fine. don't stress out too much about it
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Thanks. I'm not sure if you observed all the kurfuffle earlier, and the arguments about what should be spoilered.
I put a note about the earliest example all 8 coins can be gotten, and the OP was reported.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't know how you can miss the 73 pages of meta-discussion about spoilers
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

there is never a wrong time to revive this video

only a more timely one
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

you have gained the favor of the owl lord
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago you have gained the favor of the owl lord
Who?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Implo

Post by Implo »

OMG, I never knew that it's possible to get red chest in Castle of Illusion without ability to throw heavy dudes. Even walkthrough videos were showing a way to get this chest by throwing enemy. Then again I never really noticed the importance of day in this game (except Desert Ruins - I noticed that during green chest hunt though). I guess that some stuff I did by accident.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

054. The Frigid Sea - Blue

Shiny morn ~
ice melts into warm
waterfall.

055. Castle of Illusions - Red

Lazy noon ~
a brisk walk on
crenelations.

056. The Stagnant Swamp - Green

Dreary day ~
deep in the swamp caves,
pirate ghosts.

-------------------
I like all the clever different ways Wario Land 3 makes unlocking daytime in the east unlock new treasures: make an owl reachable, melt a waterfall, & allow you to use a lit window to unzombify o'er a platform. They're all ultimately just glorified unlocked walls, but so are basically all unlockables in exploration games, including Metroid games & Super Mario 64. It's the flavor that counts.

I ne'er knew 'bout this trick to get the red treasure in "Castle of Illusions", either, despite the sun shards clearly making the level tile shine when you unlock daytime in the east. It makes sense, though, as the open walls in the red key room are clearly meant to show off the daytime sky.

You can skip the pirate skeleton boss with a ridiculously hard & blind wall clip up @ the right ceiling. It's interesting how they decided to give "The Stagnant Swamp" 2 bosses, the only 1 with 2 bosses.

raocow is close to unlocking the best level in the game.

Last edited by J. J. W. Mezun 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Fun fact: NOTHING in Stagnant Swamp changes with daytime! Odd, but eh!

Today, raocow unlocks a whirlpool! Apparently, the game wants Wario to drown in a vortex of water. Rude!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

If you noticed, the Burning Torch caused 2 levels to sparkle, but there in only one path on this chart. Oh well, that path to the North side is pretty useful.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Something I never had the chance to say until now. You know those pink ceiling blobs (Heberii)? As you've seen, they fall when there is a earthquake, and become super vulnerable. However, you CAN beat them with a regular jumping Charge Tackle. However, it's very precise, as you either hit the ceiling, or hit the bottom of the blob, and you need to hit the side.

Also, you are able to warp around the sides of the world easily from the same menu you check your treasures, cutscene, and change the time of day.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago

there is never a wrong time to revive this video

only a more timely one
How did I not know this existed? :o
It's amazing! Thank you very much :D

owl control!

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

057. Cave of Flames - Red

Molten cave ~
sumo wrestlers guard
the sauna.

058. The Grassland - Blue

High-up cave ~
moles & silk worms work
together.

059. The Peaceful Village - Green

Creepy night ~
deep in town, scientists
play with light.

-------------------

The cool thing 'bout watching someone unfamiliar with a game play it is watching them stumble 'pon speedrun strats I didn't e'en know 'bout, such as raocow stumbling into that cool charge duck maneuver in "Cave of Flames", 'stead o' becoming flat from the sumo guy ( official name: Count Richtertoffen ).

"The Peaceful Village"'s green treasure is 1 I hated as a kid 'cause I sucked @ it, but like now for its freshness.

Nowhere else is the gimmick o' invisibility vs. electricity used.

Though making you ground pound some random part o' the ground was pretty stupid, 'specially with the red herring o' the Burn-bot.

You can actually reach that green treasure room in the daytime taking some detour through some other room. It's very cool to explore. In fact, to cater to a secret mode unlocked later, Wario Land 3 makes most treasures available @ both day & night.

Last edited by J. J. W. Mezun 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

The stringball treasure we saw today is one of the many, many tiny design decisions in WL3 that just annoy me to no end and will always sour me on the game. In order to break through to the chest, you have to:
- turn into a stringball to break the first block; you then have to spend about 20 seconds twiddling your thumbs doing nothing
- break a bunch of blocks
- turn into a stringball AGAIN, for another 20-odd seconds

And that's not counting all the other stuff on the way, because I want to only focus on that segment. There's no puzzle to it; what you have to do is crystal clear. There's also no challenge to it, unless you count the trivial enemies in the blocks (that, by design, can't actually do anything to you). It just wastes your time in these small, irritating ways.

One other example that always irks me is the ladder in Volcano's Base; you climb up as the weird spike things come out from the wall, so you have to wait for one of them, then another, then another like it's Elec Man's level in Mega Man 1. Then at the top, there's one enemy walking and he spawns EXACTLY so far away from the top of the ladder that you have to wait AGAIN so he doesn't knock you off. I feel like if the game instead rewarded you at the end for finally pushing on as quickly as possible, it would feel way better; instead, it's just FOUR times waiting with a very small variety at the end. Again, this is not a puzzle, nor is it challenging. It just wastes your time while you're doing nothing that is in any way fun.

And I realize it's such a small nitpick, but it's seared in my brain from the many times I climbed this stupid ladder to get back to the cart segment, and after you do it the twentieth time especially trying to get all coins, it's not so fucking small anymore.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow wrote:I got a nice cup, now I can drink myself a wine, like a vampire.
Raobert, didn't they teach you anything in LP School?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Finally! raocow has gotten the Expensive Glass. Now I can finally fill this spot hereImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
and the rest:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
So if you do go for all the 8 Musical Coins (which I do recommend trying now), do note that The Grasslands has the worst one to find. You'll really have to use your head.

As for the cup, it IS possible to get it during the day, but you'll need the Garlic powerup in order to find some other way into the 4th house.

Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Woops. Forgot the next installment of Story Time with Wario Land 3, yesterday. It works out, though, no story progress today.
The chain of deals...
Using his new jumping abilities, Wario climbs into an out of reach pipe, in the caves under the swamp. Hidden in the dankest, darkest part of this area is the 4th Music Box!. It's tunes create a vortex in the sea on the West side, opening the path Beneath the Waves. Wario will have to contend with the swirling currents and new sea life he will find there, in order to find the booty below.

But wait, before we get ahead of ourselves here, partway up in the castle, Wario had also found a Burning Torch. Using this torch, Wario is able to burn away some thick vines, that were blocking a shortcut back to the North, AND the entrance to the Forest of Fear. You can consider this dark forest the spookier side of Out of the Woods, which is right beside it. Wario better prepare to face the undead in full force, here. Thankfully, it can't get spookier after this.
So now Wario has a choice on the path he can take. Does the fourth Music Box lead to the 5th, and last? Or will he try to brace the forest, and the path it leads?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Man you're really insistent on him trying the Musical Coins. Just let him get to it whenever he wants to, sheesh.

Edit: If he wants to, that is.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That is just general knowledge for everyone.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I thought

The Vast Plain

was the most difficult to find the 8 coins in, personally.

That stupid hidden behind electricity one drove me nuts. :P

Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing:

Implo

Post by Implo »

Sorry, you two. But the most ridiculous coin is in

Cave of Flames. Completely unindicated passage in the ceiling is so ridiculous to find.

As for when getting 8 music coins. Well, obviously after getting all chests and beating the game would be the best idea. If raocow decide to do that, of course.
Aqualakitu

Post by Aqualakitu »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago The stringball treasure we saw today is one of the many, many tiny design decisions in WL3 that just annoy me to no end and will always sour me on the game. In order to break through to the chest, you have to:
- turn into a stringball to break the first block; you then have to spend about 20 seconds twiddling your thumbs doing nothing
- break a bunch of blocks
- turn into a stringball AGAIN, for another 20-odd seconds

And that's not counting all the other stuff on the way, because I want to only focus on that segment. There's no puzzle to it; what you have to do is crystal clear. There's also no challenge to it, unless you count the trivial enemies in the blocks (that, by design, can't actually do anything to you). It just wastes your time in these small, irritating ways.
That's actually quite close to my criticism as well. There's flavor in the game, but like the ice room the puzzle is bafflingly straightforward. Or the blue chest in the Frigid Sea, where you walk to the end, roll and you're done.

If there had been a reset door it could've actually been quite interesting to have this sort of "pinball machine" room where yarn Wario rolls left and right and you have to break the proper walls or something to make him drop into the right pit. That would've incorporated an element of planning ahead into what's really just "walk to caterpillar man and get hit".
They do that better with fire Wario, which beyond the hard to judge time limit at least makes you think about where you need to bounce off or jump. But there's only so much you can do with transformations so strongly based on forced movement I guess.

I too am very much looking forward to one of the remaining levels though... my favorite and least favorite are still locked.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So raocow, do you remember seeing this tileset before, In The Warped Void?

I recommend, for now, to just pick a path and stick with it until the end. Things will flow better that way.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Say hello to probably my favorite level in the game. It's so warpy and voidy. :D

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Currently playing: