(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
tirakai

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - The Howling: Reborn

Post by tirakai »

That's fair enough.

I figured it was best to bring it up just in case though, since missing stuff (even if it's minor) without knowing until it's too late can be a bit disheartening, especially when the game encourages exploration.

Honestly I think it would've been fine doing the trial when you first discovered it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean in a way, that's what's good about the thread. It's a way to showcase stuff that is missed in the 'main' run being filmed. If it was gameplay related I'd consider it, which is why I went into this deepnest detour, but like otherwise... I dunno, I don't want to feel like I have to cut off contact like I had to do during AUS
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

It's honestly a little weird for this one bit to be so particular, so far the game has been designed around exploration and finding your own route around the map so suddenly having this one moment where there's a definite order of events gets everyone panicking a little.

What are your thoughts on pointing out breakable walls and floors such? For some of them you'll maybe go back through places and notice them on your own later but some you might not. Should we keep track of the important ones for clean-up later maybe?
warpio

Post by warpio »

In a sprawling open world game like this, when the game has missable flavor text depending on what order you do things in, I think it's best to just not worry about trying to get all of it, at least not in the first playthrough. I might make that a goal of a 2nd playthrough, however, as it gives me an excuse to replay the game using a different approach to exploration now that I know things that I didn't know before.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think good videogames are made to be fun even without someone who's played before looking over your shoulder. And I heard Hollow Knight is a good game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alright, let me turn the sarcasm off and rephrase that:
I feel like a core part of games like Hollow Knight is that different players find different things. And if you take that away, you're taking away part of the game. I think missing that is worse than missing a handful of individual details that the devs made missable on purpose.

Maybe for the sake of the LP it's cool to let raocow know he can go back, later and get something interesting that he clearly missed and will never find again. And if he's genuinely stuck and making no progress, I'm sure he'd take help. But at least let him discover concepts in the order he'd naturally discover them, first.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

also raocow in case you didn't already figure it out

the "sewer manholes" are the tops of grub containers you've already broken, nothing you have to interact with
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I'm excited for tomorrow's first Trial. Bashing your head against enemies is half of the fun of this game.
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Koops

Post by Koops »

I'm wondering how raocow will perform in the Colosseum without the double jump power-up. There are parts where it might be difficult without it.
I wish you good luck with the trials, raocow, because they can be difficult. :D
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I see this playthrough like the Iji playthrough, where despite people asking him or telling him to do things in certain ways, raocow decided that he just wanted to let his playthrough be a record of how he chose to play. This is a game that benefits massively from letting the player just do whatever they want to, whenever they can. He's not here to show off a 100% playthrough that includes all missable flavor text or side quests or whatever. Yeah he's missed a number of ground pound floors and some breakable walls, but he'll make it through the game one way or another.

Let's just let him play the game.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago I see this playthrough like the Iji playthrough, where despite people asking him or telling him to do things in certain ways, raocow decided that he just wanted to let his playthrough be a record of how he chose to play. This is a game that benefits massively from letting the player just do whatever they want to, whenever they can. He's not here to show off a 100% playthrough that includes all missable flavor text or side quests or whatever. Yeah he's missed a number of ground pound floors and some breakable walls, but he'll make it through the game one way or another.

Let's just let him play the game.
I agree with this 100%.
Crow

Post by Crow »

actually, a good number of the enemies in the colosseum are unique to the colosseum and not fought anywhere else, they're all named like "shielded fool" "winged fool" etc. there are a few enemies here that aren't unique the colosseum though

i'm sad you had to have your first experience with a fake grub in the colosseum of all places, though

also raocow from what i have seen you haven't even gotten to the "hard" parts of the trial of the fool yet. i really, highly do not recommend doing the trial until you are like, almost completely done with the game, because it is imo the hardest challenge in the base game and by a good margin. i don't think continuing to bash your head against it at this time is going to lead to anything other than frustration/ragecow/episode 0-esque content
Last edited by Crow 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

When I saw that the video was one minute from being over I was like, "It's a good thing he decided to not challenge the Trial of the Fool for this video, that'd be a bad time to One More Level this game." Needless to say, the jump cut was pretty... surprising.

The Trial of the Fool is extremely difficult, though! In my first playthrough of this game, it was literally the only thing I didn't do, and I ended up with only 99% completion because of it. If you're having trouble on it now it might be a good idea to put it on hold until you're stronger. Upgrade the nail some more, get more charms, more masks and soul vessels, more powerups, etc. Don't feel like you have to do it right now if you're not fully prepared for it!
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Yeah, I agree. That Trial is a total marathon to get through, and the final boss therein only makes things more difficult. Besides, you got everything that really counts; all that Trial will afford outside Geo is the right to be called the Ultimate Fool.

Also, it's hard to get excited about the fights when

you've been dead for centuries.

Blue

Post by Blue »

If this game is anything like the Dark Souls its ripping off, 'geez this section is really long and difficult' is code for 'come back later when you can casually backhand away a dozen of these guys at once.'

also raocow can you do me a favor and use that charged up crystal dash fly thing whenever you're in a safe flat area like the colosseum or dirtmouth to get from point a to point b instead of tons of normal dashes, it seems like it might save time
Crow

Post by Crow »

i don't think there's any point where the trial becomes "easy", just that it becomes "probably not completely impossible"

i think some of the added charms in the DLC expansions do make it a tad easier though

unbreakable strength is absurd

but it's still really damn challenging and really damn long.

at least it's unique content, unlike the friggin' godmaster stuff

Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

So, I'm curious, without that detour everyone was talking about, what exactly *did* raocow miss out on?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Let me jump in and confirm what everyone else is saying : you're missing a ton of upgrades and doing the Trial of the Fool now will mostly waste your time and aggravate you. It gets harder and harder as you go further in too, so yeah... Just stop for now.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

The thing he missed relates to another thing he hasn't seen yet, so it can't really be explained quite yet if you haven't played the game yourself.

So the Trial of the Fool, yeah, you're still at the relatively 'easy' bits. I'm not sure if it's even possible yet tbh, it's best left until after you've done literally everything else in the base game.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago

at least it's unique content, unlike the friggin' godmaster stuff

I find it very strange that some people dislike that stuff, boss rush is basically the one thing I wanted that hollow knight did not have prior to that coming out

there are so many good bosses that I just want to do over and over!

FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I had max health, max soul, max notches, a pretty decent charm loadout, a fully upgraded nail and basically every other possible advantage the game gives to you and I still couldn't beat Trial of the Fool. Judging my the tonal shift between the first two trials and the jumpcut montage we got at the end, please please please don't put yourself through continuing to bash your head against this right now. It's ok to come back much later and try again when you're much more powerful. I don't want to see a sad angrycow video...
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I know pogoing off your enemies is always a fun thing in any game, but you should really use your down smash, especially when there's a group. According to a damage chart earlier in the topic, it's your most powerful attack.

So what kind of attacks does Zote have? Cause he just got smacked around like a beach ball.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Shard1697 wrote: 5 years ago

I find it very strange that some people dislike that stuff, boss rush is basically the one thing I wanted that hollow knight did not have prior to that coming out

there are so many good bosses that I just want to do over and over!

The idea of content itself is fine (I imagine most people understand the appeal of boss refights and boss rushes even if I don't care for it myself), it's more the timing that's the issue. Godmaster has been holding up the Hornet dlc everyone's really excited for, so going into this hyped up new expansion with supposedly a bunch of content expecting a bunch of cool new stuff to tide us over while we wait for Hornet, only to find out it's just boss refights was a disappointment.

It just made me think 'was this really worth working on instead of the Hornet dlc?'.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yeah seriously if you absolutely gotta gotta do it come back later it isnt worth it right now if ever
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I know pogoing off your enemies is always a fun thing in any game, but you should really use your down smash, especially when there's a group. According to a damage chart earlier in the topic, it's your most powerful attack.

So what kind of attacks does Zote have? Cause he just got smacked around like a beach ball.
He runs and flails at you in a straight line, and if he misses you he'll bump into the wall and fall over. I'm kind of sad raocow didn't get to see it since

he doesn't even do any damage if you let him hit you, it just bounces off

nathanisbored

Post by nathanisbored »

What happens when he rescues Bretta now? Does she immediately become obsessed with Zote? I've only seen an LP of this game so idk how it works