(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - A Bug's Life

Post by Grounder »

today on scream at raocow stop trying to heal youre leaving yourself wide open
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Hey I called it! Fighting the Brooding Mawlek as your first real boss is honestly pretty amusing, but I'm glad you managed to pull it off.

By the way, you haven't actually been to that central part of the Forgotten Crossroads where the big skull icon is. It's got a little chalk outline around it and isn't filled in with that area's color, which indicates you haven't been to that part of the map yet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago today on scream at raocow stop trying to heal youre leaving yourself wide open
this is one of the things pink didn't like about the game. Bosses are usually designed such that you don't have time to heal.. very rarely do you have any team during a boss to heal.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB

Post by 10204307 »

I don't think I'd agree with that. Most of the bosses have certain attacks that last long enough for you to heal after you've dodged them, or mercy periods where they don't attack or move at all. A large part of the challenge of this game comes from figuring out when you should or shouldn't heal during a boss fight.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

It did only SEEM like the boss was lunging in response to rao's audicity to attempt healing.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Wow, watching this is totally giving me flashbacks to Rabi Ribi, when other crazy early stuff was done. You're seriously skilled at things that don't exist (video games), keep up the good work! :3
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow seems baffled at the notion that he can die in a metroidvania and not lose "progress" :lol:

also of course this happened.

raocow's stubbornness is gonna ensure early deepnest happens, isn't it.

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Somehow I had a feeling today's video might happen. Mawlek is a really hard boss! I have no idea how you're supposed to dodge the big scattershot if the projectiles don't line up well. It always feels like a forced hit to me, but there must be some other trick to it I'm missing.

Post by 10204307 »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Somehow I had a feeling today's video might happen. Mawlek is a really hard boss! I have no idea how you're supposed to dodge the big scattershot if the projectiles don't line up well. It always feels like a forced hit to me, but there must be some other trick to it I'm missing.
You can just jump over the boss after it shoots out the projectiles.
Crow

Post by Crow »

yeah, you can even bounce on it with a down slash i believe
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So unlike other games that punt you back to the last save point when you die, Hollow Knight doesn't "rewind time" so to speak. Everything you did between a death and the last time you saved still happened, including (iirc) any map progress you make and interactions like getting the grub rewards. In fact, I believe the game actually autosaves every time you die to prevent players from save scumming to undo dying before getting back your spirit (though you should probably still save manually at the end of every play session, just in case!)

That said, congrats with that sequence break and early boss kill! You do get something later that makes that climb easier. In general the game is pretty good about not throwing sudden difficulty spikes like that at you with its platforming challenges.

Well, at least in the early- and mid-game areas...

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Will it be obvious if he stumbles into a DLC area?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Will it be obvious if he stumbles into a DLC area?
Short answer: It doesn't matter, but I would say yes-ish.
Long answer:

Of the actual areas added by DLC, it'll likely be easy to tell when he gets to them. One is a very obvious addition and the other is something that seems pretty "dlc." But it is important to note that the dlc isn't just areas. Bosses and items were added in existing areas, things were rebalanced, etc. And, dlc or not, the game won't let you do things you just aren't prepared for. In regards to the bosses added, you still have to actually get to them. And in regards to the areas, both are essentially locked. For one dlc, in order to progress very far, you AT LEAST need a specific power-up that isn't easily attainable early. And for the other DLC, you literally cannot access it until you've accomplished specific in game tasks.

I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago today on scream at raocow stop trying to heal youre leaving yourself wide open
this is one of the things pink didn't like about the game. Bosses are usually designed such that you don't have time to heal.. very rarely do you have any team during a boss to heal.
This is to prevent you from heal cheesing bosses, since getting a free heal every three hits would be kind of lame.

Note that there's still plenty of opportunities to heal during bosses. Most of the "duel" ones have stagger phases giving you free time, while you can actually find time in plenty of others if you play smart and don't just panic heal when you hit 1 health (in fact trying to do anything fast in this game is a bad idea, it rewards a calculating playstyle a TON. Too much in my opinion). For example Brooding Mawlek has two attacks where he gives you enough time to sneak in a heal (jump over him when he does the "undodgeable" honey, or dodge his first of two jumps and then just heal)

And finally, if you do want to go in on a healing playstyle, there's a bunch of charms who do in fact cater to that, though you'll have to sacrifice offensive power.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Always rest first if you don't know what's next.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Spirit of Vengence

Post by SAJewers »

I don't know if i'm mishearing you or you've just come to call it "Dartmouth" now.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I feel like False Knight is a well done introductory boss. He looks large and imposing, but actually isn't too bad. My first play-through, I died to him twice and both times were very obviously my fault. Also, I love that the head of his mace is just another bug that skitters away after the fight.

FUN FACT:

You can actually skip the False Knight. There's a breakable wall above the door on the left of his arena, and you can go and get the Vengeful Spirit and continue without beating him. Obviously, you'd be skipping on the City Crest that the Knight drops. But all that means is that you go a roundabout way to get to the place the Crest unlocks.

I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago Always rest first if you don't know what's next.
Crow

Post by Crow »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago
also heck yeah you got the milk cannon
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

foggy weather tomorrow also a chance of octopus
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

raocow falling down at like 5:17 is actually super common in all the playthroughs ive seen so i'd def say there's an issue in communication from the designers' side there
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Re. the Hunter's Journal: There is an achievement for completing it, but the journal itself is NOT factored into your completion percentage. Whether or not you want to complete it is totally up to you, since you're relatively unlikely to kill enough of every kind of enemy without any grinding (and we all know how you feel about that). The lore that you get is pretty interesting and I would at least suggest looking at boss entries once you've beaten them.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Greenpath is one of my favorite areas in the game. I don't know if the devs took any inspiration from it but this area, both graphically as well as the bgm for it, reminds me heavily of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Post by 10204307 »

You're still like 1,000 Geo away from being able to afford the Lumafly Lantern. It's kinda funny how expensive it is, for something that's technically optional. (Unless I'm misremembering, and there's something that actually requires it? I've always picked it up fairly early on.)