(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

Post by SAJewers »

Can I just say that I wish there was a report option for Spoilers on YT comments?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

1234abcdcba4321 wrote: 5 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago I kinda love that we get to see the base ending on 50 and the true ending on 64.

Maybe the DLC ending will also fall on a nice number.

I'm guessing either 69 or 70 if rao actually manages to do it. So probably not.

but 69 is the single most nice number

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Well, you got a new ending at least.

There's actually one more somewhat notable thing you missed that's in the

Spirit's Glade in the Resting Grounds

, and you actually almost found it before. It doesn't count towards completion percentage or anything but it's a fun little extra thing that'd be easy to get to.

More specifically it involves

dream nailing the head of a particular statue

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

forgot to delete this before I made my correction. Ignore
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago Can I just say that I wish there was a report option for Spoilers on YT comments?
Other than that one guy mentioning

Hollow Knight is Herra's Child

, and the other one confirming

Hornet and player character have the same father

, I'm not really seeing anything that's super spoilery. Just everyone rightly telling the cue raocow missed.

And that

Herra

spoiler is really only a spoiler if you connect that is the real name of another character. Which I don't think was ever displayed in the LP. Otherwise people will wonder "Who the heck is she"?
And that achievement rao got pretty much implied that 2nd spoiler. And I didn't even know about that 2nd spoiler until now. And my reaction?
'Huh. Neat''
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago Can I just say that I wish there was a report option for Spoilers on YT comments?
you can

it makes you look more than a bit overzealous, though
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago

, I'm not really seeing anything that's super spoilery. Just everyone rightly telling the cue raocow missed.

And that

Herra

spoiler is really only a spoiler if you connect that is the real name of another character. Which I don't think was ever displayed in the LP. Otherwise people will wonder "Who the heck is she"?
And that achievement rao got pretty much implied that 2nd spoiler. And I didn't even know about that 2nd spoiler until now. And my reaction?
'Huh. Neat''

Do you mean Hornet is Herrah the Beast's child? Because the Hollow Knight, The [Player] Knight, Lost Kin and all the other Vessels are hybrid "children" of the White Lady, Pale King and the Abyss. Hornet is not one of the Vessels, and is a half-sister to all the Vessels via her father, the Pale King.

mossbag's lore videos are excellent, btw.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

Alright, here it is. If tomorrow's the finale of the base game, then here's the file for the first DLC finale, I guess you'd call it?
(Grimm Troupe isn't the first DLC, but it is the first DLC story)
Attachments
GrimmFightUpdated.zip
(184.42 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago

And that

Herra

'Huh. Neat''
I've seen at least a few outright explicitly tell him what he was supposed to do.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Yeah, for clarity, Hidden Dreams (DLC1) and Lifeblood (DLC3) were fully integrated and woven in. The Grimm Troupe (DLC2) had a few things woven in, but was mostly the Troupe event.
  • Hidden Dreams added the Dreamgate, Grey Prince Zote,

White Defender

, and the Hidden Station in the Ancient Basin (useful!)
  • The Grimm Troupe we have seen the "whole" of, besides the final part of the ritual, we've seen all the charms that were added with it (Troupe-related and otherwise), and of course the Path of Pain.
  • Lifeblood added the Hive Knight, map markers, modified multiple bosses including most notably the Traitor Lord, and an absolutely huge number of quality-of-life/audio/visual/balance changes
We have yet to see anything from DLC4. We've only seen one 'minor' enemy added for DLC4, the Pale Lurker, which only left a Simple Key.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago We have yet to see anything from DLC4.
Yes we have, the mini-boss in the area to the right of the Colosseum is from the fourth DLC.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago We have yet to see anything from DLC4.
Yes we have, the mini-boss in the area to the right of the Colosseum is from the fourth DLC.
Excellent point, my bad. We have seen the Pale Lurker and their Simple Key.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

To be fair, I didn't notice

the dream symbols

even as a viewer. The stuff happening was compelling enough on its own,

and the moment felt like just the first part of an event that would quickly progress regardless,

so I didn't think to carefully parse what was going on. I was just watching to see what story moment the game was dropping on us.

Not a lot of games have branching moments in the middle of a boss fight.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raoocow:
*wonders how hornet got hurt*
*was the one who hurt hornet*

you doof
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Hide and Go Shriek

Post by Alice »

tirakai wrote: 5 years agoAdditionally livestreams are a good thing to have on in the background if you're doing something else.
I legitimately don't understand why someone would even do this. Livestreams are a video so if you just leave it on in the background you're only getting half of what it is. At that point it'd really be better to just listen to a podcast or music or something.
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years agoI much prefer raocow's well-edited LPs to stream-recorded LPs where length tends to balloon, editing is discouraged, the player is distracted/interrupted by reading chat and reacting to subscribers and donations (especially with overlay effects)
Yeah, these are all reasons I dislike Twitch too. I could not physically care less about the subscriber and donation read out crap and it actively detracts from my enjoyment of the videos. And I subscribe to one lper who never edits. She uploads several 25-45 minute videos per day so I almost never end up actually bothering to watch her videos because it just takes too much of my time. Not everyone can spare the time to watch a three hour stream on someone else's schedule.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Hey go to the dedicated thread maybe

(Also some streams are just podcasts or music or just chatting and chilling together, it's called IRL or Just Chatting category it's odd how they shut down Justin.tv only to bring back its functions into Twitch later)
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

I don't have much to add except that I'm enjoying the LP quite a lot thus far, as well as that I think I've guessed the naming gimmick, so I came up with a small a list of new things that one can literally or metaphorically sit on as raocow said he was running out of options.
tree branch
fence
bicycle
see-saw
stool
waterslide
fishing pier
inner tube
straw mat
board of directors
old reports
money
bleachers
wagon
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I think this ending is my favourite just because of how bad it is, not only is the new Hollow Knight just going to slowly corrupt, but nobody will actually be able to stop him from 'bursting' as the new dreamer is inside the egg.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Xirix wrote: 5 years ago I think this ending is my favourite just because of how bad it is, not only is the new Hollow Knight just going to slowly corrupt, but nobody will actually be able to stop him from 'bursting' as the new dreamer is inside the egg.
I thought the old hollow knight was leaking because he was raised as the king's son so wasn't a pure hollow vessel anymore. This new one hasn't really formed any serious relationships or feelings, so he should be good, right?

By the way (looking for someone to answer in spoiler tags): Do we ever get an explanation for why the player-vessel starts way up in King's Pass? And didn't someone in the early game mention something about him experiencing two different worlds, or something like that?
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago I thought the old hollow knight was leaking because he was raised as the king's son so wasn't a pure hollow vessel anymore. This new one hasn't really formed any serious relationships or feelings, so he should be good, right?
If the original Hollow Knight, chosen as a "perfect vessel" and trained for this particular task, couldn't contain the light forever, I can't imagine how our ragtag wandering hero (who again, was rejected as imperfect in the first place and left to find for himself in the abyss) ever would be. He's explored the world, made friends (a truly empty shell would be unlikely to decide to sit with Quirrel, for instance, among other little friendship elements you can pursue with other NPCs), heard stories, seen wonders. The entire theme behind the Colloseum of Fools is that it's pointless fighting for vanity and glory. The game deliberately gives you the option to make choices (sometimes significant, sometimes just for flavor), NPCs regularly tell you you can decide to do this, or you can decide to do that, the decision is explicitly framed the protagonist's to make. In fact, the game doesn't really tell you what you're *supposed* to do at the start at all; you just have to wander around and find your own meaning before any sort of actual *purpose* even becomes available, and it's a thing that develops slowly by taking in information about the world around you and having to decide how to interact with it to what goal. In short, circumstances force the protagonist to take charge of his destiny and become an agent. Even if he arrived at Hallownest empty (which is doubtful in itself), he certainly couldn't be now. His path would not permit that.

Which, I imagine, is kind of the point. The plan was doomed to failure from the start. As soon as a vessel starts experiencing the world, they begin to become filled. And by the time they're strong enough to absorb the light, they're already for too filled with other things to contain it forever. A pure and perfect vessel simply can't exist. Denying the vessels a voice (a thing which fellow void-based creature the Collector--an individual who certainly has strong emotions and attachments to other beings--is definitely shown to possess) seems to have been largely an act of desperation on the part of the Pale King to convince himself they were more empty than they actually were/to avoid hearing the cries of anguish of the rejects (and his subsequent raising of the Hollow Knight as his son presumably a way to try to ease his conscience after condemning hundreds or thousands of sapient, sapient beings to death). Which is why the plan only succeeds in preserving the ruins of the kingdom in a pitiful shadow existence, and even that only for a time. Dragging out the inevitable for a bit is all this plan could ever achieve.
By the way (looking for someone to answer in spoiler tags): Do we ever get an explanation for why the player-vessel starts way up in King's Pass? And didn't someone in the early game mention something about him experiencing two different worlds, or something like that?
Hornet does say something like that, and the implication is that that the Knight, like Quirrel, spent years wandering the wastelands outside of Hallownest, which (as is suggested both by the case of Quirrel as well as the engraving on the Howling Cliffs) caused him to lose his memory of Hallownest and his former life there. How did he escape the Abyss and reach the outside world to begin with? We don't know, and presumably neither would he.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, the fact you need to re-do the entire hollow knight fight every time you die to radience ended up leaving a sour taste in pkr's mouth when she played it. (she ended up ragequitting after i forget how long, and ended up beating radience in a second stream). Was actually a bit afraid we'd see ragecow because of that.

Also, you still haven't shown off what the blessing you got last video does. it's one of the best things.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Congratulations on facing your worst fears, raocow!

And also beating Demiurge the Moth, I guess.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

unfortunately doing this now means the lp is gonna end with a whimper!

the final ending requirements are why a lot of people hate the godmaster dlc, and... i honestly can't see you getting it, rao
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm pretty sure the large shadow holding open The Radiance to the final barrage was the OG Hallow Knight, NOT Hornet.

How'd the original Hallow Knight get to become so tall?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Since the mask is... a solid mask, I would assume that whatever the hollow knight/the knight(aka the player character) is made of underneath grows over time, and then it needs a new mask made every now and then. Like an insect molting its skin.

What raocow mentioned about the ending message feeling sincere is how I feel about the end messages of shoot em ups.