(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
tirakai

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - In the Shade

Post by tirakai »

Current attack damage rates

nail - 13
dash slash - 32 (it's 2.5 x nail damage, so it increases in damage as he upgrades the nail)
Shade Soul - 30
Descending Dark - 60 (the total between the dive itself and the two burst hits)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Does the charge attack have any longer range? because to me, it sure looks like it.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

The Dash Slash has a much longer range than a regular nail attack.

The thing that makes the Nail Arts so useful is that you have full movement while you charge them, which is something I wish more games would do. I never want to stand in place while I charge up an attack, and Hollow Knight makes it so you don't have to. It's a good idea to charge up your attack while you're dodging a boss's attacks, and then release it when you get a good opening in.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, if there's ever something that he can't seem to reach, he should try the Dash Slash then.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB

Post by 10204307 »

Personally, of the three nail arts, Dash Slash is the one I used the least. It's very finnicky to execute since you need to release the button while you're dashing, which just adds more things you need to think about. Also, since I had the Mark of Pride equipped almost the entire time, I never really had any issues with range.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - The Howling: Reborn

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I love the Howling Wraiths. They can deal so much damage against airborne stuff and you don't even need to leave the ground! Easily my most used spell.

And today really showed why I really dislike Fog Canyon - the map is RIGHT THERE but YOU CAN''T GET TO IT! At least, not that way, not right now.

And getting to it from the other way requires Isma's Tear which requires the Sewers which I also hate...

At least it isn't too difficult to navigate without the map right now, since the area is just two vertical rooms and things stemming off from them in mostly straightforward manners.

Anyways, welcome to Deepnest. Many people say this is the worst area in the game and if you go here before being prepared, it certainly can be rough. But I think you'll be fine.

I'm betting raocow finds the Weaversong charm, puts it on, and never takes it off.

I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

There's also another thing you'll need to do before the Colosseum if you don't want to miss things, and that's

save the bug in Fungal Wastes underneath the Mantis Village (by the Waterways entrance)

You've been already but left without exploring the room much assuming you needed more upgrades, but all you need is wall jump.
Last edited by tirakai 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

That thing in the Colosseum isn't actually missable. You can just redo the first trial after you meet the requirements.

Deepnest is the worst, I hate it, I cleared the entire thing with an unupgraded nail.
I mean, I originally did like 95% of the game without knowing I could upgrade my nail INCLUDING the first two Colosseum trials so the entire game was the worst.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago I mean, I originally did like 95% of the game without knowing I could upgrade my nail INCLUDING the first two Colosseum trials so the entire game was the worst.
If it makes you feel any better (and if you didn't already know)

at least a handful of bosses are "easier" with an unupgraded nail because they get their health buffed if you do upgrade it.

But yeah, I could see that sucking for A LOT of things. On the other hand, multiple NPCs point out that you can upgrade it...
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: 5 years ago On the other hand, multiple NPCs point out that you can upgrade it...
About that.

I thought they were talking about learning Nail Arts. derp.
I only figured it out after looking up what the hell all of these pale ore I'd been carrying around were useful for.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Did you somehow never manage to go left in the City of Tears? I'm a bit confused at how you could miss the place.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

10204307 wrote: 5 years ago Personally, of the three nail arts, Dash Slash is the one I used the least. It's very finnicky to execute since you need to release the button while you're dashing, which just adds more things you need to think about. Also, since I had the Mark of Pride equipped almost the entire time, I never really had any issues with range.
I don't remember what the default buttons are in this game, does it make you dash with a face button?

I played with dash on left bumper, spell/focus on right bumper and I thought everything felt very smooth with that setup.
Personally I never want to have more than 2 actions on face buttons in platformers, I think that's the most buttons you can quickly and consistently use with one thumb. But then again my control preferences in platformers are a bit weird, I always put jump on B and attack on A on xbox controllers and the like(because those buttons have reversed positions on xbox controllers compared to GBA controls).
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

tirakai wrote: 5 years ago Did you somehow never manage to go left in the City of Tears? I'm a bit confused at how you could miss the place.
I think I just didn't climb the wall, because I distinctly remember going underneath where the nailsmith is and turning back.
All this hardship is making the second playthrough a breeze though :v

Post by 10204307 »

I played on a keyboard, so C was dash and X was nail. It's honestly a little awkward to juggle those two since they're right next to each other on the keyboard.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Is it just me, or does Deepnest totally reminisce of The Abyss from raocow's Aquaria playthrough in a way?

I still find it kind of funny and clever that The Abyss was actually one of the safest areas in Aquaria, despite it being super dark. Though unlike Aquaria, you don't *need* the light source to explore it, do you?

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Post by 10204307 »

You can explore Deepnest without the light if you want to, but it's really dark. Like, so dark you can only see a tiny circle around your character. I'm pretty sure some of the plants in Deepnest glow in the dark, but it's really hard to get around. And raocow hasn't even seen the worst of Deepnest yet - the farther in you go, the more dangerous it gets.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The bank lady was right there!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm not giving her any of my hard earned gyro :evil:
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

leaked image of early version of the hollow knight currency
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

mfw this entire adventure is just the knight looking for a new place to do his grocery shopping
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Crow

Post by Crow »

clearly hollow knight is just a reinterpretation of ancient greek mythos
a long journey where you come back home in the end to kill all the suitors trying to marry hornet. what if we had a word for that
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Deepnest, too, is a sort of dream, albeit of the twisting, claustrophobic kind where the out-of-focus world is not blurred by a soft fog, but by blackness and cold stone, a place whose angles seem to bespeak a certain structure, yet one which dissolves and reforms (but not before your eyes, never before your eyes) each time you try to wrap your head about it, the worms noisily (yet at indeterminate distances) eating holes in your capacity reason for understanding, all sensory perceptions bleeding together to form a disorienting swirl of clink-tinged rumbles and pale grey half-light. In retrospect, these are sometimes the most intriguing and artistically inspiring weavings of Morpheus, but immediately upon waking, you simply desire to turn over, retreat back in to sleep's dull haze, and try to forget the phenomenological experience--still too fresh it its visceral terror--ever visited you in the first place.
Crow

Post by Crow »

so i finally got to the

godmaster

content and man umm uhhh

this is not going to work well in an LP format and i think it's kind of bad anyways. at the very least, i absolutely cannot be bothered to do it

warpio

Post by warpio »

Exploring Deepnest early without the lantern seems like it'd be quite the experience, I'm almost tempted to try it on my next playthough.

Come to think of it, wouldn't you not be able to see your doppleganger if you go in without the lantern? Or would your doppleganger also have a small light around him when he's on screen?
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Since you mentioned not knowing what cues to look for regarding walls and such, most breakable walls have very visible cracks in them and ground pound-able floors rattle when you walk on them.