(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - The Descending

Post by Grounder »

LatexHydra wrote: 5 years ago I was hoping he'd fight the scatman today
well do i have good news for you
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kingdom's Edge of my seat wondering if he was going to blunder into [REDACTED], [REDACTED], or [REDACTED]

Nice job finding the Tower of Love shortcut though, that'll help navigating the Edge when you return there.

Christ, I don't think I saw this part of the map until I'd done the entire left side of the map, or at least a lot of the area raocow currently has blank. I love this game's sense of space and exploration so much more than the relatively linear Guacamelee or Ori, and I really do like both those games a lot. Even Super Metroid is more keen to box you in and limit you during the midgame, only opening up entirely for the final third. Really, only Rabi-Ribi really comes close to Hollow Knight in terms of openness, and then that has... other issues.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Today, raocow touched a butt. The butt sounded pleased. Also, he met MY SWORN ENEMY, THE PRIMAL ASPID.

Really though, Kingdom's Edge is a super neat area and I'm glad you found it this way. You really did just stumble into a massive brand new area and then just stumble back out. Can't wait for you to get the map and see all of it connected to the main map.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So that 'light' from the sides rao thought he was seeing was really the glow from the character reflecting off the background fog.
It did take me a moment for me to see it as such, I had to see the repeated pattern first.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i died a little inside when raocow intentionally avoided the stag station to go off and explore a completely separate area without getting an even remotely reasonable bench

and died more when he died after doing so

what an episode :lol:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

Dangit, he could have reached the tournament arc, I think.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Can we please not obliquely reference things that raocow hasn't found yet outside of spoiler tags

Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

That was the most amazing trip.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

When fighting the Great Husk Sentries you kept landing in front of them just as they're slashing forward, and each time I saw this hit you, I felt "ouch".

And are there places where you need to climb up to by flying from one wall to another (shown in 12:12 - 12:24)?
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

You know, bugs make some pretty nice-looking cities.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agoi died a little inside when raocow intentionally avoided the stag station to go off and explore a completely separate area without getting an even remotely reasonable bench

and died more when he died after doing so

what an episode :lol:
It's actually kinda impressive that he's managed to improve a lot at exploring in Metroidvanias but his ability to presciently avoid nearby saves is as strong as it ever was. And in the end he just ended up back at the very first save he consciously avoided while turning away from two others at nearly the last possible moment. What a ridiculous detour...
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think it's instincts from different kinds of games interfering with each other.

In many games, you want to notice "the way you're supposed to go" then avoid going there, because that's the way that ends the level before you find all the other stuff. But in games like Hollow Knight, they put things like benches in the "supposed to go" main path, which is then meant to be an ideal jumping-off point as you're free to explore all that other stuff. But the "don't go the way you're supposed to go" habit is a hard one to break.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

What an episode, really raocow. That trip through Kingdom's Edge was amazing, awe-inspiring really.

Thank you for entertaining us.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

raocow, you didn't actually get the dream tree, remember you need to collect the things it shoots out around the room after you hit it.

Also the Soul Sanctum mentioned by the Elegant Key is shown on the map, you've been there.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Anyone wanna take bets on episode totals at this juncture?
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

I'd totally swap that knockback charm for the additional length again, it didn't seem to add much from what I could see. Neat about the pale ore, good on that!
I totally don't remember there being a locked door when he was in Soul Sanctum, either. Time to go play Golden Sun again?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

The locked door was in the room to the left of the first room in the Soul Sanctum, with the one elevator that went up.

Since raocow ended off at the City of Tears, it might be a good idea to pay the Soul Sanctum a visit before heading back down into the Ancient Basin.
Crow

Post by Crow »

raocow you really do seem to have a hard time noticing floors you can stomp, i know it's like because of the LP format but there's more than just audio cues :P

i suspect we're gonna see the broken vessel fight pretty soon now...

Alice

Post by Alice »

Awoo wrote: 5 years agoI'd totally swap that knockback charm for the additional length again, it didn't seem to add much from what I could see.
Knockback is nearly useless in my opinion. It has an annoying habit of knocking enemies out of your reach and thus making them take longer to kill. The other charm he got though, sprintmaster, isn't bad for its cost. Certainly makes getting around quicker unlike dashmaster. Though when it's exploring new areas it also probably isn't the best choice. Not a bad choice by any means but exploring new areas is better when you take your time to ensure you overlook fewer secrets.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i'm really surprised nobody's recommended steady body yet, it's imo one of the best charms in the entire game especially for a single slot, no knockback is wonderful
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agoi'm really surprised nobody's recommended steady body yet, it's imo one of the best charms in the entire game especially for a single slot, no knockback is wonderful
Oh yeah, he does have that one already, doesn't he? That was one of my mainstay charms for most of my time in the game after getting it. Saved me a lot of getting knocked into spikes or other enemies.
tirakai

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - In the Shade

Post by tirakai »

raocow viciously attacks a normal wall and doesn't notice breakable ones. I suppose focusing on keeping talking would make it harder to notice small things like cracks and shaky floors.

Looking forward to the Trial of the Warrior next time, though I recommend searching around the Colosseum a little bit more before starting.

I actually didn't realise you could do the Colosseum before Deepnest, does this mean

he'll have to redo the Trial of the Warrior again later to fight its boss? Or does it screw things up going here first?

Crow

Post by Crow »

Yeah, there's actually a really good reason you shouldn't do the trial of the warrior yet - you can beat it but you'll be missing the final boss of the trial right now & that has at least one other thing locked behind it, so you'll have to do the entire trial a second time at some point
Koops

Post by Koops »

I'm honestly not sure what counts as a spoiler on here and what not. Because talking about a boss in the trial of the warrior seems like a big spoiler to me. But I'm not sure what raocow's stance on this subject is exactly.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm really exited for tomorrow. The coliseum has been mentioned since the early game. I'm expecting several mini-boss rushes.
-There's got to be more to that scarecrow at the end.
-Looks like your projectile blast is twice as strong as your nail now. Just in time too, I was wondering if the nail would out damage it soon.
-I was wondering if there would be a dash attack! Though not the way I was expecting. I'm not sure I like how you need to execute it: charge, then dash and release. An ideal dash attack should extend your attack range. Here, you need to plan ahead and know you want to do it. I'm not sure if you'll ever be given enough time in a boss fight, and not really worth the 3 step process for small enemies. How much damage does it do, anyway? Compared to other attacks? I'd like to know for the down smash too.
-Looks like you now have 4 different charges for different moves, across 4 buttons? Your nail, healing, soul nail, and super dash/flight.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000