(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Requiem for a Dream

Post by Rixithechao »

I missed lifeblood pods a lot during my playthrough as well.

So I'm slightly behind but going by the current discussion here it sounds like there may be an upcoming cleanup trek? If so, would this be an appropriate time to bring up things that (as far as I know without watching today's video) you haven't placed map marker reminders for yet?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

It might be worth it to go check out the badge/badge slot lady's shop, if nothing else you should be able to get more if you go buy that one Geo guy's 3 badges (even if they're labelled "fragile", they should still count for unlocking more badge slots). That's my 2 pennies
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoSo, despite being introduced in the tutorial area, the thing that gives you temporary hits have only been seen one other time, quite a while back. Has rao just narrowly missed every one after that?

I would think something seen in the tutorial would be a frequent sight. Not a rarity.
From what I recall, they're fairly infrequent but they also tend to be extremely easy to miss too. They're usually in optional areas such as the one in the place he got his first spell from.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

All things considered, for rao's playstyle, the lifeblood masks would be gone in a flash more often than not. And, even generally speaking, I find that they're not worth going out of your way for nine out of ten times. In a game where you're in control of your healing, two unhealable hit-points are not as useful as they immediately seem, especially since you lose them upon resting. If you find them while exploring, great. But otherwise, I'm meh on them.

Re. suggestions/list for a clean-up trek: I'm waiting for rao to specifically say he's doing that, since we all know that he could think about doing that but decide to do something else first, like finish the mines, go back to the sewers, etc..

Also because I'm really hoping he'll go back to Crystal Peak and get the other power-up there, since that would allow for more clean-up...

I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the resting grounds was one of the very last places i found in the game, myself

oops
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I'm pretty sure the lantern isn't needed for the dark route to Crystal Peak, so Early Dream Nail is very possible and potentially a speed strat.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago I'm pretty sure the lantern isn't needed for the dark route to Crystal Peak, so Early Dream Nail is very possible and potentially a speed strat.
While this is technically true, the dark path that leads to the entrance of the Resting Grounds is absolute hell to navigate without the lantern. The platforming is hard enough, but the flies that shoot crystals of you hanging outside of your vision make it way more difficult than it's worth. And aside from using it on enemies and NPCs, most of the stuff you absolutely need the dream nail for (such as the Dreamers, obviously) are placed far away from the Crossroads, meaning you'll end up having to go through Greenpath and Fungal Wastes anyway, especially to get the dash and walljump abilities.

So it's doable, but not extremely useful right away. I'd say the quasi-requirement of the lantern to prevent you from going there too early is well-placed, to ensure that you get it when you need it. (And having just started an attempt at the "five hour completion" achievement, I can say that you can get the money you need for it very fast just by beating the bosses you come across in the leadup to Crystal Peak.)
bbbrrr_it_cold

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Crazy Heart

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

It isn't just living things that the Dream Nail works on - it also works on statues, monuments, AND (some) dead things. Certain corpses can be Dream Nailed and you get what amounts to their final thoughts.
Also, the Crystal Heart is great. Wonderful. Fantastic. And probably good to have gotten now.

For those wondering about DLC stuff,

now that he has the Crystal Heart, he has access to the bulk of the contents of the second DLC. Technically he could get it as soon as he had wall jump, but he wouldn't be able to do much of it without the Crystal Heart. Mind you, he hasn't found the area where the trigger for that DLC is, but details.

I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TO-

GETHER
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

raocow, just so you're aware - the "Mark of Pride" charm (which you have - right next to longnail) is... literally just a better longnail. It costs 3 notches instead of 2, though.

Personally my build always consists of having both of them on, though :P

i also don't know where you got the impression that you can only use the dream nail on alive things from. the big dude holding the crystal heart is Incredibly Dead. you just took his heart :B
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So today's powerup completely negates that one dash charm, eh? Better replace it with something better.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Crow

Post by Crow »

it doesn't really. the super dash can only go straight and is slow to start up. in any place with uneven terrain it's way faster to just walk & dash normally
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Personally I never got much use out of the Dashmaster charm because for 2 notches I had other things I wanted to put on.

By the way if you didn't realize when you bought it, the Quick Focus charm is a charm that allows you to heal faster. But its cost of 3 notches makes it so you really have to think about if you want to equip it instead of something else.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

One kind of habit you can fall into easily with this game I think is equipping a charm early on because you've got space and the others don't sound quite as good then keeping it equipped for ages since you've gotten used to it, even if there's a bunch of better choices.

Dashmaster I think is one of those, it sounds great at first glance but I don't think it's all that useful in practice (unless you're speedrunning of course). Plus on the other side there's charms that sound a bit weak from the description but actually end up having really good synergy with certain other charms that you might not think about.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if your build is bad, the game itself will force you to change it. Some fights (

like NKG or the Trial of the Fool

) really can't be cheesed. So sure, I could tell him the charms I would be using at this point in the game...but I'd honestly much rather see the game punish him if he makes a bad choice or reward him if he makes a good one.
Besides, if I'm being perfectly honest, I'm just glad he got rid of the horrible thorns badge, so I won't complain about anything else. There's still much game to go, after all, and who knows what charms will tempt him.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago I'm pretty sure the lantern isn't needed for the dark route to Crystal Peak, so Early Dream Nail is very possible and potentially a speed strat.
You can't use the toll gate in the dark room without the lantern. So the minimal condition is lantern or Desolate Dive. That said, you can still get it very early, it's very much possible to save 1800 Geo before reaching the Fungal Wastes if you know the game well.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Not sure how the Thorns one is horrible, unless you mean it's bad because you have to take damage for it to activate and therefore if you're playing well you won't take damage and therefore not see its effect.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

The thorns badge is great depending on your playstyle (and the boss), it can make some fights a decent bit quicker if you're the type to stay close and smash your face into them like me.

I'd say Gathering Swarm is the bad one at this point, you get more than enough geo without it since it only really helps with the small amounts of geo dropped by enemies over pits.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Not sure how the Thorns one is horrible, unless you mean it's bad because you have to take damage for it to activate and therefore if you're playing well you won't take damage and therefore not see its effect.
That, coupled with the fact that, if I'm not going to get soul from something dealing damage, I'd like it to deal a worthwhile amount. I'd rather not use the notch period and, instead, get soul from the nail strikes. And this rings even more true when you consider that you have to take damage for it to take effect, so you'd then want the soul for healing and you aren't getting it because the thorns take it away. Different play-styles, I suppose, but that one notch could go to such better things.
tirakai wrote: I'd say Gathering Swarm is the bad one right now, you get more than enough geo without it since it only really helps with the small amounts of geo dropped by enemies over pits.
He's using it purely for convenience, I'm sure. And that's fair for right now. I did the same thing in my playthroughs. Same as the compass, really. Like, he could take them off for a combat build, but he won't and I can't say I blame him for not doing that.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Aw... the crystal heart mecha's spiel shows the plague corruption process pretty well ):
any OBEYS slowly get replaced only by CRUSH...
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

Either raocows a god at video games, or I just really suck. The crystal guardian took me like 15 tries o_0. not to mentioned I was a lot further along with more upgrades too, to put salt on the wound...
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I feel your pain, Latex, there's something about that boss. But rao's gotten really good at platforming and just execution challenges in general over the years. I remember when he used to have trouble with things like timing but in the recent episodes he's been handling them pretty well. I believe he also mentioned earlier in the LP that the All the Megamen series has helped him with bosses in general as well.

Looking forward to seeing how well he fares in the most recent DLC.

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
bbbrrr_it_cold

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - The Descending

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Congratulations raocow, you've found what a lot of people consider to be the most infuriating quest in the game - the Gray Mourner's request.
First and foremost, when it says that you need to take the flower to the Queen's Gardens, it means a place that is very obviously the Queen's Gardens. I don't know what else to say without spoiling other than you'll understand when you see it.
Second, this is probably best left for later. Ignoring anything else about it, you'll at least want to tackle it when you have more charms at your disposal, since facetanking this quest is literally not an option.
And third, I'll just say that, while I don't think this is the most difficult thing in the game (or even was before dlc was added), it is very tough. My first playthrough, it took me a great many tries over a couple of hours. My second playthrough, it only took two, but I already knew exactly how to go about it.

In other news, good job on getting the Descending Dark. You've upgraded a spell that you never use to deal damage so that it deals more damage. Congrats.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

When the description of the flower says the Queen's Gardens, it means an actual place in the game called the Queen's Gardens, which you haven't been to yet. Basically, you'll know what it's talking about when you get there, and you don't need to worry about it right now. The game doesn't really indicate this, but you can try the quest as many times as you need by just returning to the Grey Mourner whenever the flower gets destroyed.

Personally, I wouldn't try this quest until much later in the game, at least not until you've explored all of the areas and gotten more charms and upgrades.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I honestly never thought the delicate flower quest was all that difficult, you just have to be careful and plan your route well. Especially compared to certain other optional stuff which I just plain gave up on and never beat.

Though of course I missed the city crest early game somehow and didn't go to the City of Tears and get the Desolate Dive until much later than most did, so I already was already very used to the game and had much of the good stuff before trying it.

It probably wouldn't make for a good LP though, even if it only took a few tries most of the recording would have to be edited out.