(shouting)

VIP 4 2018 - That was fun

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: VIP 4 2018 - Finally got all five dragon coins. (x5)

Post by Sebby19 »

That happened more than once!
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Wow, this felt more like a QubicTom video than a raocow video. :O That was a nail-biter up until the end. And the reprise to 2009cow's video description makes it even better,
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

>long snes world
>references a japan only (super famicom) game (romancing saga 3)
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

GlitchMr wrote: 5 years ago >long snes world
>references a japan only (super famicom) game (romancing saga 3)
I'm glad you got the reference of what an SFC is, but let's be honest: if it wasn't for prior experience with this game and the former title, 'SFC' doesn't have the same nostalgic ring to it as 'SNES' outside of Japan, and to some people less familiar with the culture around it, it might cause some confusion. I remember that even though I have been familiar with the full Japanese name of the console for a long time, the first time I saw the level name my thoughts initially jumped to the .sfc file format before I put two and two together. We were fully aware that one of the titles referenced was a Japan exclusive, but my wager's on most people still referring to it as 'an SNES game', perhaps not least because nowadays they'd probably be playing it on an emulator like ZSNES or SNES9x. Basically, just treat 'SNES' like it's the localized name of 'Super Famicom', and you'll be fine. That's what it was meant to be anyway, as the hardware inside is barely different, and that's how most people (who don't care about the small details) are going to see it. And in the end, most of the level will still work on 'SNES games reference' level, as it's just the one title that wasn't released outside Japan.

For those curious, here's the reference list as it's stated on the strategy wiki:
Romancing SaGa 3, Rockman X 3, Super Donkey Kong 2, Super Mario Collection, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World

Or for those who would prefer me to use their 'localizations':
Romancing SaGa 3, Megaman X 3, Donkey Kong Country 2, Super Mario All-Stars (I'm assuming just SMB 3), Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World

Kind of a shallow reference pool on the whole if you consider it. Over half of the titles are Mario-universe, and SMAS is arguably cheating due to it being effectively an HD port.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 4 2018 - This is even more cruel than Tiser and Heavens...

Post by raocow »

woo two hour recording session for the finale, I'm glad we got a proper 'end' feeling finale for such an important game to me
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Two hours? Don't suppose it's going to be 2 parts then? Either way, congrats on finishing VIP4 again :3
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

2 Hours?? Oh boy.
Congrats raocow!
ImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean it got edited down to like 25-ish minutes I won't dump a two hour long video on anyone anytime soon
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Please tell me it went better than the final episode of Vip3. I hope no commenters end up threatening bodily harm on the level designer this time.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

I'm surprised how few people have been talking about how annoying the first bit of this level is to visually parse. Multiple times I thought raocow had jumped to his death only for him to land on something. The overlapping geometric shapes are so busy.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Shard1697 wrote: 5 years ago I'm surprised how few people have been talking about how annoying the first bit of this level is to visually parse. Multiple times I thought raocow had jumped to his death only for him to land on something. The overlapping geometric shapes are so busy.
Totally agreed.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I'm just happy you found a place for Toradora before the game was over. <3
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, front runner of the year for Best LP from you this year. Oh man. This has been a fun ride.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

man

there's a lot i could say about how important the vip series is to me, in fact i legitimately think i would be a far, far different person if i hadn't stumbled upon rao's lps of it on google video way back when

but in the end, i think all i need to say is that rao's videos have always been a comfortable bit of stability for me, and nothing will ever represent that better than vip

okaeri, rao
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP 4 2018 - That was fun

Post by Ashan »

Well that was fun! I have lots of nostalgia for this game, likely from young me being a big fan of MoltovMarioWorld's LP of it back in the day (though I don't think that would be my cup of tea these days). Glad we got a proper finale and everything

I'm actually surprised that final boss took as long as it did, for some reason I recall when I was playing this game the final boss was a bit anticlimactic and didn't take as long as I thought. But at the same time this was so long ago that I'm reaching pretty far back in the memory banks. Nothing stands out to me in this game as much as the sand level with boss bass and ropes
This Eye o' Mine

Well done. That boss isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it's also certainly not the hardest or most tedious thing Carol's ever come up with. I think the worst thing about it is how close you have to get to the boss to hit it, coupled with the fact that many of its attacks will pretty much hit you instantly if you're close to it. Not a winning combination for any boss fight.

And that's pretty much it. For those wondering, the finalized version of the hack will be going up in probably about a week, along with a console-compatible version of the original Japanese hack for those that really want it. I'll probably put a post in this thread at that point as a reminder, but the links to the patches themselves will be going up in a seperate thread, since we're planning to do more fixes and translations of hacks in the future. Yes, that includes VIP 5 (as well as the other VIPs), though whether raocow decides to LP it or not is his business.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years agoalong with a console-compatible version of the original Japanese hack for those that really want it
2024 VIP Redo LP Series Project: Camcorder footage of raoguy sitting at a SFC playing on modded cartridges
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Looking forward to VIP6 translation patch.

Also, wow, you can spinjump on flowers? I did not know. That would have made this boss easier.

Somewhat disappointed that "Abyss" isn't written in a weird way like in Japanese version as a way to indicate how other-worldly this place is, but oh well. I probably would have translated this to "T H E Image A B Y S S" or something like that.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Really enjoyed this LP! This was my first time seeing VIP4, and it probably made a better impression to have seen raocow do it now instead of watching proto-rao beat it. In any case, I vaguely remembered the VIP 5 run having a lot tougher spots so i expected this one to be that way too, but i'm glad it turned out the way it did.
ImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 5 years agoFor those wondering, the finalized version of the hack will be going up in probably about a week, along with a console-compatible version of the original Japanese hack for those that really want it.
Is this to say only the Japanese version is console-compatible or you made some changes to the translated hack to make it console-compatible and are putting those changes in the Japanese version too?
This Eye o' Mine

Sorry, I probably should've called it 'console-accurate'. What raocow has been playing is the hack with several issues fixed so they would run on more accurate emulators than ZSNES, and theoretically also a real SNES console. We'll be putting the newest version of that up, as well as a version that's just the fixes without the translation, in case people want to play it in the original Japanese. There will also be seperate versions with and without some quality of life features like fastrom and some bug fixes, but we're still working out how to make that work without too much confusion, so it will be explained in the thread when it goes up.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Man, what a journey. Overall, I remember Vip4 being a lot harder, though I guess I'm just terrible at SMW. :D As for the quality of the hack, it's not perfect, but you can definitely do a lot worse, especially considering it was released in 2008. In terms of the wave of collab hacks released in 2008-2010, I'd say this one's probably my favorite.

And so ends the Squishy Player Trilogy, starring Boon, Jigglypuff, and Maddy.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Aside from the really janky beecape flying bit, this is probably one of my favorite levels in any hack. It's such a blast to play and looks so dang cool when you get everything right the first time. The boss isn't exactly great, but it's definitely not terrible.

p.s. raocow you can spinjump on the rocks and I think also the tornado? Spinjump solves almost everything in this fight.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago Man, what a journey. Overall, I remember Vip4 being a lot harder, though I guess I'm just terrible at SMW. :D
I think it's more that raocow is now at the exact skill level this hack (and I guess the other VIPs as well) demands from the player for them to be fun and challenging without being unreasonable. There's some stuff in them I couldn't do without years of practice (I sometimes fail at the original SMW...), and maybe you could do it in months of practice, and raocow had enough practice!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So, VIP5 redo when? Image
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB