(shouting)

VIP 4 2018 - That was fun

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Re: VIP 4 2018 - Nagoya City University Hospital

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

D
SKIP
sorry about the many technical mishaps there :/ - April 2, 2008
4:28 - coinsnake
8:32 - valley of bowser

Y
SKIP
holy poop, 50!? - February 13, 2009
4:38 - snake

Switch Cave - Red and Blue - Green and Yellow - February 14, 2009

raocow you're gonna kick yourself if you watch how you did the last coin snake run back in 2008

Some painful perfectionism in the 2009 run, though. Made it to the end of the second coin snake segment, and reset just because the snake hadn't made it. I think this is the first time where I've seen 2009cow get more jumpy with tool assists while dailymotioncow went for the "let's just roll with it" attitude, instead of the usual reverse.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Whimsical Calamari

Re: VIP 4 2018 - You mean I can't get the key goal because I'm playing switchless?

Ryrir wrote: 5 years ago You basically follow the skull raft up the lava, while collecting as few coins as possible. Once you're up there, you press the blue P-Switch immediately before the koopa is on the brown blocks. Since this turns the brown blocks into coins, the koopa will turn around at the edge and start walking in the opposite direction, while you can use the coins-turned-into-brown-blocks to walk back alongside him.
how do you design a level for a hack that makes use of obscure glitches as gameplay elements, make such a roundabout puzzle, and not account for people using a glitch to solve it

(i mean granted the way it's designed there's not a way to prevent that glitch but still)

OLD
GO BACK
cute lil' kitties (continued) - March 31, 2008
6:07 - Stardust

so nonchalant - April 1, 2008
0:00 - "Nonchalant Gambling"???????? W h a t ? ? ? ? ? ?
12:06 - egg room

NOT AS OLD BUT STILL OLD
GO BACK
lightning and ice (continued) - February 11, 2009
7:29 - Stardust (normal exit)
SKIP

boss and plot - February 22, 2009
5:58 - Stardust (secret exit)
GO BACK

The Nonchalant Koopa - February 12, 2009

holy poop, 50!? (continued) - February 13, 2009
0:00 - egg room

ice physics being ice physics is so ice physics

Man, I was waiting for a death to the p-switch lava pit, and it finally came in the last video i watched for the day. Satisfying as heck.

We're really seeing much more of rao's "roll with it" strategy in these latter DailyMotion videos. Perhaps foreshadowing the second attempt at savestateless? It's almost a reverse shift from the 2009 run, which is getting cautious to the point of perfectionism-as-a-hindrance.

More and more I'm seeing how important of a game this really was.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Re: VIP 4 2018 - You mean I can't get the key goal because I'm playing switchless?

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 5 years ago "Nonchalant Gambling"???????? W h a t ? ? ? ? ? ?
Wow, almost would've missed this one. I guess that makes for an impromptu Oyster's Pearls:

Oyster's Pearls: Nonchalant Gambling
The original name of the stage is "Oikake Nokonoko".
'Oikake' means 'to chase' here (disregarding its conjugation here for the sake of argument), but Oyster probably dropped the 'oi' part (which is where the actual 'following' element comes in) and read 'kake' as another verb that sounds the same, which means 'to bet'.
Most of you will probably know "Nokonoko" is just the Japanese name for Koopas, but it's also a word which you could indeed put as 'nonchalantly', or 'brazenly' (if that's even a word). I think the story goes that as a name it basically refers to their tendency to just keep walking forward with disregard for anything around them, but Oyster took the name literally, as he tended to do.
Also I should probably point out that there is no stage in the Japanese version of DKC2 called "Trauma Tower". The level "Toxic Tower" was translated into Japanese as "Doku Doku Tower", which means... "Toxic Tower".
Zach808

Re: VIP 4 2018 - Could it be that the first half doesn't actually have a switch? I've looked everywhere

Post by Zach808 »

And with world 7 finished, we’re done with the part of the game that’s actually beatable. :D

Well okay, I’m not gonna say the last few levels are impossible, but don’t be surprised if some parts take more than one recording session for even half a level. Bowser’s Castle in particular is a huge pain to even reach the midpoint, and might just be the end of this tool-less run.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: VIP 4 2018 - Could it be that the first half doesn't actually have a switch? I've looked everywhere

Post by Sugar »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago And with world 7 finished, we’re done with the part of the game that’s actually beatable. :D

Well okay, I’m not gonna say the last few levels are impossible, but don’t be surprised if some parts take more than one recording session for even half a level. Bowser’s Castle in particular is a huge pain to even reach the midpoint, and might just be the end of this tool-less run.
raocow is a much better player than me, and did I manage to beat the entire VIP4 savestateless. I wouldn't be worried about it.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

GlitchMr wrote: 5 years ago
Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago And with world 7 finished, we’re done with the part of the game that’s actually beatable. :D

raocow is a much better player than me, and did I manage to beat the entire VIP4 savestateless. I wouldn't be worried about it.
Oh, it's perfectly doable if you're playing on your own time, but half a level with 5 long, hard rooms in a row doesn't really play nice with raocow's daily video schedule.
Whimsical Calamari

What a brilliant moment.

ConstantlyAct
sorry about the many technical mishaps there :/ (continued) - April 2, 2008
0:00 - heat
SKIP

sounds almost like a film noir type of deal - April 3, 2008
0:00 - bullets

ThouCylinder
holy poop, 50!? (continued) - February 13, 2009
0:00 - heat
SKIP

Rain of Bulets in Raging Battle - February 15, 2009

The bullet level was really harsh on the Savestate-on-VIP-coins playstyle, and it's kinda making me see why the "rewind dammit rewind dammit" strategy was favored in the DailyMotion days. With rewinding, sure things are hectic and super unpredictable, but at the same time, you can keep your train of thought rolling in the same direction and refine the gameplay without losing too much focus beyond the initial "OH NO WHERE AM I". Going fully toolless, the iteration time of die-worldmap-boon start lets a you take a breather (which allows a commentary train of thought to continue to its conclusion).

And then there's savestate checkpointing - cuts off a continuous train of thought, but also doesn't quite allow for a breather. Good for developing skil/persistence, most probably, but man, it didn't do too well for rao's patience in a level as hectic and unpredictable as this.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

On slight jump inputs eating hard spinjump inputs: the SNES controller ( and most controllers period ) used digital input for the buttons, rather than analogue. This means that how hard you press the button is completely irrelevant; the system only tracks them via a boolean system, whether it's pressed or not. Consequently, games can only know whether or not a button is pressed, and whether or not a button was pressed during the last frame ( and the last couple frames, if they utilize extra processing power to keep track of that ). So if you send two inputs simultaneously ( or at least, send them both between two frames, since a game can't poll for inputs faster than the time it takes to handle a frame ), then the game will use its internal order of operations ( which may sound fancy, but chances are it's just "the if statement that checks if this button is pressed comes before the others ) to handle them, even if it makes the "stronger" input impossible to handle i.e. you're no longer on the ground, so you can't spinjump.
Whimsical Calamari

catching up is so close i can taste it

DailyTube
sounds almost like a film noir type of deal (continued) - April 3, 2008
6:47 - ghost

haha - April 4, 2008
0:00 - speed

YouMotion
Koopa Castle Warehouse - February 16, 2009

Speed Run - February 17, 2009

Warehouse: I wasn't fully aware of it beforehand, but the whole video I was secretly hoping I'd see dailymotioncow try to treat a megaspike room as a romp. Glad that hope paid off.

Speed Run: Holy panic, Batman. The end of the dailymotion run gets downright hectic to listen to; the YT run, meanwhile, gets some serious load state button smashing near the end bit. Odd to see that being used even when timeout is a certainty, just because "I messed this up, so I need to restart and at least do that right". Mistakes being taken really personally there.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, I guess those old runs pretty clearly demonstrate that only one path in the warehouse stage has VIP coins. In case anyone was wondering.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

Hmm, surprisingly it went sorta ok.
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Re: VIP 4 2018 - I heard you could listen to the BGM here, but I can't find it

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Thank you for saving the integrity of my naming gimmick by beating the entirety of Bowser's castle in just two videos.

...tell me you finished the rest of the rooms in one video.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Holy crap, is this the same raocow who had to put a savestate down during the first half of Depraved Stronghold? I found this level WAY worse.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

something happened at one point. I've heard people say it's YUMP that was the chrysalis to my mario ascension
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Out of curiosity, are you gonna use Toradora as a video title at some point?
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean, it's on the list, just gotta find a video where it makes a little sense
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago Holy crap, is this the same raocow who had to put a savestate down during the first half of Depraved Stronghold? I found this level WAY worse.
Really? I can't say for sure because I haven't played this level, but this seems a great deal easier. It reminds me of a TSRPR2 level, but is slightly longer/harder (and lower quality).
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Lockirby2 wrote: 5 years ago
Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago Holy crap, is this the same raocow who had to put a savestate down during the first half of Depraved Stronghold? I found this level WAY worse.
Really? I can't say for sure because I haven't played this level, but this seems a great deal easier. It reminds me of a TSRPR2 level, but is slightly longer/harder (and lower quality).
The rooms themselves are a bit easier (kinda. Sprite lag killed me a lot in the last room), but the section as a whole is about twice as long, so for me it ended up being harder overall. The longer a section is for me, the more I end up dying in stupid ways.
Whimsical Calamari

This Eye o' Mine wrote: Thank you for saving the integrity of my naming gimmick by beating the entirety of Bowser's castle in just two videos.
oh great now i'll never catch up before the end. back to Episode 36!

DailyMotion
haha (continued) - April 4, 2008
4:13

YouTube
Trauma Tower - February 18, 2009
raocow in 2009 wrote: So it wasn't as bad as I remembered it somehow
GEE YA THINK

Here we see dailymotioncow's hasty panic reaction at its absolute most severe (so far; I don't know what's in store for the Castle). Launching out of barrels at the earliest possible moment and complaining that there's no good way to survive, repeating the same mistakes over and over because the route that survives isn't fast enough, not even pausing to thwack a koopa, and rewinding so recklessly as to miss the key and disable various background layers multiple times. Really not an easy episode to watch on that side of the retro runs.

And it's such a juxtaposition of skills, too: just three levels ago we saw the DailyMotion run excel where the 2009 run's "Savestate at a VIP coin" rule suffered, and now it's the exact opposite. Complete and utter impatience leading to disaster in 2008, some thoughtful gameplay in 2009 that even mirrored the modern run at certain points. Even ten months of practice - and I have a feeling the two months that VIP4's second run had taken thus far was a big contributor - made for such a massive difference in skill.
Zach808

Re: VIP 4 2018 - The BGM is SaGa 2's "At the End of the Struggle"

Post by Zach808 »

That water room can go die in the deepest, darkest pits of hell.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I can't believe that raocow again resorted to using savestates in this VIP 4 lp, for shame.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess he has an excuse to play this a 4th time.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoI guess he has an excuse to play this a 4th time.
And to make up for the savestating it'll have to be blind.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

In the water room, if you get that star instead of ignoring it, you can go underneath and fight a boss bass mini-boss that immediately precedes the midpoint room. It's the best and coolest part of the castle and raocow, despite using a map and playing with savestates, managed to completely miss it.
dont wanna jihad no more
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Granted, who is out here trying to go into the water in a Mario game.
ImageImage