(shouting)

VIP 4 2018 - That was fun

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Zinfandel

Re: VIP 4 2018 - That was fun

Post by Zinfandel »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago So, VIP5 redo when? Image
No joke, I would kill for a VIP5 translation patch like this one has.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

now i see what hell i've inflicted upon myself
so much for catching up, eh

dailymotion
part 2 of another thing! - April 5, 2008
(note: there's a quick moment of transphobic remark at birdo's appearance at the end of the net room in this video. things changed a lot in 10 years, eh?)

youtube
Koopa Castle; Threshold - February 20, 2009
flooded basement adventures - February 21, 2009
the shadow knows - February 21, 2009
triple chipmunk - February 21, 2009
ghosts are scary - February 21, 2009

IT'S FINALLY DONE. This nightmare of a comparison can finally be through, after a combination of life happening in so many ways, and this stage being absolutely massive and requiring so much to watch in the YT run, I can finally say I watched ALL of Bowser's Castle. At this point though, I'm debating if I should comparison-post the rest of the game, or just watch the rest of them myself. There's a lot left, and I'm definitely running out of material. There's only so much that can be said when comparing playstyles, even if those playstyles have changed a bit over the course of the game.

THE THRESHOLD
dailymotioncow wrote: new music! don't know where it's from!
It's truly amazing how things change over the years, isn't it?

LAVA MATH

That deathblock setup is one heck of a thing there. Every single raocow had a different response to it, befitting of the LP's era:

2008: - "holy shit how am i supposed to do that?"
2009: - "how the hell are you supposed to dodge that?"
2018: - "what am i even looking at?"

(honorable mention: dailymotioncow's remark on repeatedly rewinding the segment: "hoo boy i'm repeating this section a lot. that's what i call amusement-o-palooza")

FIRST FLOOR
MEGA MAN WATER

honestly the only thing i wrote in my notes on every single runthrough of this room was
eh?
despite the bizarre nature of the gimmick, and the potential for weird gameplay choices, there was really nothing to go on. nothing really interesting about the gameplay, no major differences, the room was just there despite itself.

BULLET HALL

my note on the 2018 runthrough of this run was just "expecting lots of oldcow panic". the dailymotion run missed out, since he didn't play it at all then, but the 2009 run certainly delivered:

"OH MY- ohhhhh nononononono" + inexplicable bullet kill
"help help help help help help help help help help aaaaaaa- uwAAAAAAA"

SECOND FLOOR
NINJA CHUCK
raocow in 2018 wrote:this one is just mind-numbing, wow
that's pretty much it. dailymotioncow got so mind-numbed he went into some prime monkey cheese, and uh

i'm not sure what 2009cow did because there was so little notable about this room's gameplay, but i did make sure to note that he said "Charlie Fisher" and that amused me for some reason.

STARPATH

dailymotioncow didn't play it, but for 2009cow, this went surprisingly well. I think he actually had an easier time then than rao did this time around. Maybe it was luck, but I think this room might be one of those which benefits from just going for it. No hesitation, no carefulness, just get in there and run. Like, 2009cow survived the maverick section on the first try, and just freakin cheesed half of this section. It's actually pretty impressive.

POISON WATER
morsel/morceau wrote: 5 years ago In the water room, if you get that star instead of ignoring it, you can go underneath and fight a boss bass mini-boss that immediately precedes the midpoint room. It's the best and coolest part of the castle and raocow, despite using a map and playing with savestates, managed to completely miss it.
I'm sure you'll be pleased to find that 2009cow actually didn't ignore the P switch or the star, he actually used them and didn't do anything with them anyway

(i read your post and i was really hoping to see that boss and WELP. hopefully there's a moment of that in the next Castle Boss video? i legitimately wasn't keeping up during this time)

THIRD FLOOR
MONOCHROME

cinematic parallels time! in both the 2018 and 2009 runs we see raocow:
  • casually jumping through ghost ring gaps because why not
  • dying right at the end, the classic move
  • discovering the mushroom out of nowhere. seriously what's with that placement?
also i have no idea why my notes for the 2009 run say "it's a metaphor" but uh, there we go

JELLYFISH ROOM

and here we see dailymotioncow suddenly beginning to savestate. what an amazing discovery! is this the moment where he learned to stop disorienting himself with the rewind? or will that take some more learning?

Also, got some interesting discussion from the 2009 run. While he appears to notice the trial-and-error nature of the level in this run just as he did in 2018 ("this is getting academic more than anything" - i know it's a vague up-to-interpretation statement but that's what it feels like to me dangit), there's also the discussion of Kaizo and its comparison to VIP4. Here's the link to that bit if you're curious.
2009cow wrote:Kaizo isn't as crazy mad as I remember it to be.
FOURTH FLOOR
ELEVATOR

I can't help but wonder if a big issue was the "boo laser is mapped to screen space, not level space" factor. It led to quite a few reflections and non-reflections when I didn't expect to see them, and right before rao just happened to run into them.

The 2009 run of this room, once again, felt way less painful than the modern run, oddly enough. In this case, it may just be a matter of editing, but it just... hurt less to watch.

shout out to EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

NETROOM
2009cow wrote:I'm gonna be playing like a moron, 'cause that's what makes me sweat."
"Weird nightmare zone" no kidding, ouch.

dailymotioncow has... trouble... planning jumps. But 2009cow has the worst of it, triple-chipmunking for nearly a minute's worth of video time before he gets to a reasonable point in the room. And then he gets repeatedly eggspiked, which I can't help but find pretty funny.

also, he calls Birdo "Ostro" in both of the vintage runs, what's with that

FINAL WIZARD ROOM
My one note on the 2018 run here was "didn't spinjump. how many times did disaster happen in old?"

Surprisingly, in the DailyMotion run, the answer is "none". But don't worry, we get the payoff from 2009, and it is glorious. Otherwise, not much to say here.

UGH I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M DONE WATCHING THESE VIDEOS AND WRITING THIS POST TOOK LIKE FOUR DAYS AND I'M STILL STAYING UP TOO LATE

welp
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

for what it's worth I dug these, and this giant write-up was super great. I understand if you want to stop, if anything this is a fantabulous send-off
the chillaxest of dragonsImage