(shouting)

24 Hour Contest #11 - design a level in 24 hours with a given challenge

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lockirby2

Re: 24 Hour Contest #11 - design a level in 24 hours with a given challenge

Post by Lockirby2 »

raocow's playing was on fire today.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

I said this on the yt comments but for some reason today's first level's presentation made me burst out laughing.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

YOSHI'S ISLAND 1 - 24th by Berk
Score - 23
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 15/25

The decision to make Turn Blocks spin forever was a pretty odd one, but it makes sense in the context of what you wished to do in this level. The Throw Block setup before the midway would’ve been a lot more hellish if there was the additional time limit of the Turn Blocks reverting back, but it does still feel like a kind of weird change that isn’t made clear to the player. The setup following the midway was pretty clever, but it was tricky to remember the gimmick of this level, and I ended up sitting on it for a while before it clicked. This level is so weird and abruptly short, especially after the midway, that it really feels like you just lost all ideas for this contest and called it a day. There was something interesting here, but its execution is kind of confusing and it just .. ends. But what was here I ultimately enjoyed.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 13/20

Tornadoes felt kinda thrown in, but the Mosaic Twimps were used well, especially in conjunction with this levels Turn Block gimmick. Really thought the puzzle after the midway was clever. Stationary Magikoopa at the end was kinda tossed in, and it doesn’t even have proper graphics for its magic which was… cool.

Aesthetics: 3/5

Custom BG, interesting FG palette, and… regular overworld music? Not even the SMW Underwater song?

Total: 31/50

Tob

10 / 15 / 02 -> 27
There is a really brilliant puzzle in this one. It is a bit tedious and takes a bit off the fun of the level but the whole idea is
really interesting and could've set the stage for more puzzles but then the level just decides to end.

Sinc-X

F: 2
C: 13
A: 3
Total: 18/50
Comments:
There are some creative ideas here, but the execution of them is extremely flawed, with forced killing yourself upon messing up precise manoeuvres, getting Thwimps stuck, and even forced waiting for timeout in one part. The part right before the end with the Clock Thwimp "maze" is completely unforgivable, though. For one, the gimmick is never mentioned once and makes no sense without explanation--I thought the level was broken at first until I discovered it by accident after a bunch of wasted time fooling around. And on top of that, it's extremely finicky and cramped, leaving almost no room for error at all. I absolutely cannot see this level having been tested without tools, because that is completely ridiculous.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 4/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 10/20
Aesthetics: 2/5
TOTAL: 16/50
Comments:
This entry had an interesting concept but has a lot, a LOT of serious issues. For one it needs at least reset doors or some extra throw blocks. The timer needs to go. The tornado obstacles are more annoying than anything. There’s the main gimmick of this level which is this weird puzzle (which I somehow managed to complete, I don’t even know how), but outside of this the level doesn’t do anything interesting or even remotely similar to that puzzle; you could’ve experimented with some more setups similar to that, gradually spicing them up (but with reset doors).
Misc Sprites Castle - 4th by Super Maks 64
Score - 42,75
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 22/25

Hey, I’m pretty sure this is Super Maks 64. The distinguishing on the Thwimps to signify how they act, plus the midway system… I know this is you! And, as I expected, this is a really well put together castle that utilizes each sprite in very creative platforming ways. The Mosaic Thwimps and Circling Thwimps are used very well in the first section, but I feel the real meat of this level begins with the Grinders. The Wall-Following Grinders are used very effectively, and I’m most impressed at how well the Jumping Grinders are utilized. You caged them in how they’re supposed to be, and gave them a littler amount of space to work with so the player can analyze how they move and figure out how to deal with them. The Tornado section is short but sweet, and I love how you mixed it in with the Magikoopas to create a nice challenge (for the record, I really enjoyed the Dual Stationary Magikoopa room). I felt you were able to pull the elements together at the end very well, ending up creating a cohesive experience out of the myriad of different sprites in this sprite set. And the level knew when to end without overstaying its welcome either. Overall, great job.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 17/20

Everything is used well, and put together well near the end. Potentially could’ve tried something to really wow me, but overall left a great impression. You’ve got a great idea of what to do with sprites, especially in such a short time limit, and it really shows here.

Aesthetics: 5/5

Looks good. I noticed you missed a corner tile or two, but I’m not gonna shit on you for something so trivial.

Total: 45/50

Tob

22 / 20 / 04 -> 46
Using a health system instead of the classic powerup system was a great idea since it allows for less punishment
in this actually really hard level. It teaches all the mechanics on their own and then mixes them all together what is really great.

Sinc-X

F: 23
C: 16
Total: 42/50
Comments:
The Megaman-style scrolling is used expertly here and really lets the sprites shine in a special way. An absolute blast to play through, though there are one or two setups I'm not completely fond of.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 18/25
TOTAL: 38/50
Comments:
Pretty strong level, although with some flaws. The overall concept and manner of usage of the set within those little “trials” was interesting. The Big Mario discrimination in the grinder trials was annoying. The tornado usage fell to its worst possible use of following them across large distances, be it with or without magikoopas shooting at you; though at least they weren’t too long. The second to last room was kind of annoying, I feel like that one and the last room should’ve swapped places. Other than that though, pretty cool.
So, yeah that was a level. Don't ask me how I got 4th place. It was kinda rushed to be finished in 24 hours and you can also see from where I borrowed ASM. I made it under the assumption that you would get less points for not using all of the sprites, so that's why it's somewhat of a mess. The grinder section had the duck slides just so I would be sure that they wouldn't jump into the ceiling and escape.

Also I'm limiting the number of hitpoints to 2 if I ever make a hack, since raocow's rushing through the level tanking most of the obstacles and not even stopping to observe them to find a route hurt me.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

The second level today was my favorite so far.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I think the first level would have worked a lot better if there had been some sort of block generator in those areas where wasting a block meant forced reset-by-death. Also if things spawned properly all the time too, but hey.

I'm surprised it took you so long to remember that there can only be four rotating blocks going at once, by the way.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago
Also I'm limiting the number of hitpoints to 2 if I ever make a hack, since raocow's rushing through the level tanking most of the obstacles and not even stopping to observe them to find a route hurt me.
aww man, I'm sorry. For what it's worth, that's now quite what was happening. I did try to find a route, it's just that when I DO get hurt, it's often a better idea to go ahead and gun it. At no point did I go 'I will tank this' as my prime solution !
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago raocow's rushing through the level tanking most of the obstacles and not even stopping to observe them to find a route
the classic
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

R.I.P. Smash Ultimate. 2018-2018
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

There's been a lot of clever use of the bouncy saws and the bridges in this contest. It's added many nice extra layers of challenge in predicting what's going to happen with any given saw.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

We're getting closer to the end of the contest, and we STILL haven't seen sprite box 5, unless everyone who picked it is conveniently at the end, I'll take it that it was not a popular choice.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

owowhat dis - 18th by NeXuS15
Score - 28,5
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 18/25

This level doesn’t really let up, huh? For the most part I find little issue with the difficulty, but some things feel a bit unfair. The part on screen 09 with jumping off the platform onto a Gray Castle Block feels too hard to see the first time round, especially since you have to make that jump before you see the Castle Block even. Sometimes the order of your setups feel kind of bizarre, too. The Mosaic Thwimp in the beginning of the second half feels much harder to do than a lot of the other setups, especially the one that’s just simply bouncing on stationary Magic with no other obstacle three times. The last Thwomp setup feels just a tiny bit too tight, given you have little room to make a running head start. However, that aside I enjoyed it rather well.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 12/20

Utilizes sprites in tricky ways, but remains somewhat creative with them the entire time. I’d say it focuses a bit too little on each sprite, and hesitates to mix sprites together to create even more interesting obstacles.

Looks fine enough.

Total: 35/50

Tob

10 / 13 / 02 -> 25
The level uses every sprite to some extend but some of the jumps you are expected to do seem a bit too hard and/or not even tested properly.

Sinc-X

F: 13
C: 13
A: 4
Total: 30/50
Comments:
There are good things here in concept, but a lot of the execution ends up being really janky to play--parts that come to mind specifically are pretty much anything involving a line guide. The second half is significantly more playable than the first, though the required moving magic spinjump was not a good design choice.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 8/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 12/20
Aesthetics: 4/5
TOTAL: 24/50
Comments:
This level really takes no mercy, it cranks that difficulty switch and in a frustrating manner more so than a fun one. Just seeing this dumb introduction to the tornados, leading to this section where you immediately get to spinjump in a grinder, you know you’re in for a hard time. And it doesn’t forgive, with every annoying sprite setup following after. The second half tones it down a bit imo, and does feel better to play. The saving grace of this level also comes with its length. Despite this I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy it. Well, at least it looks good and takes the potential of the sprites included in the set.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogo - tied for 9th by GbreezeSunset
Score - 36
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 16/25

Oh, I realized pretty quick that this is probably a love letter to the Real Places series – aka Nairobi by Morsel & Dodoma by Lazy. Not sure why there’s a 1F0 fakeout in the YUMP-looking cement house area, but I think it’s more impeding than it is a silly joke. Elsewise, this level introduces its gimmick succinctly, creatively playing around with 1F0’s tentacle-like nature keeping these Jumping Saws in its’ tight, firm grasp. The Jumping Saw on screen 09 gets stuck in the pipe and flings up before falling down, which felt janky as shit while playing, but opening in Lunar Magic and seeing 1F0 up there made me feel inclined to believe it was intended… for some reason? The moon area is silly as Moses, I didn’t attempt it and you can certainly call me a bad judge for not attempting it. It’s also a bit hard to tell what kind of Grinder a Grinder will be, screen 13 faked me out even though I ~should~ have expected it to be a Jumping Grinder in hindsight, my first instinct of not seeing it jump and seeing one under it not jumping either did not let me expect it to soar into the air like antennas to heaven.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 14/20

Focused and plays around three different kinds of Grinders well, but feels like it still could have explored much more. After all, this level is seemingly “how many screens can I fill up with either 1 tile cement blocks with Circling Grinders on them, just Circling Grinders in air, or long landmasses with a mixture of Jumping Grinders and normal Grinders?”. I wish this level explored utilizing stuff like nets, water, vertical movement, line-guide platforms, or some other elements to try and get mileage out of its gimmick.

Cement blocks everywhere and a port that kinda hurts to listen to. The foreground palette also isn’t much to write home about, and I feel like I’m being generous with a 3/5,

Total: 33/50

Tob

18 / 19 / 01 -> 36
h
The level focuses on the grinders included in the sprite set and it's a really good decision. The level plays around with
the grinders a lot what makes for a lot of interesting set ups. Almost all of them include 1F0 though and I think there's more
that can be done with the grinders without this revolutionary Map16 tile. Also the FG palette is really ugly and
the music sounds either broken or just not really well ported. The Background is nice though :)

Sinc-X

F: 21
Total: 40/50
Comments:
Very smart use of the Grinders. It's refreshing to see a level that focuses on them and also isn't extremely annoying to play. The section right around the midpoint with just repetitive spinjumping feels a bit lackluster compared to the rest but as a whole it's well done.

Erik

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 18/20
TOTAL: 35/50
Comments:
This level’s music is SO Irritating. And so is this level too at some parts, yet I still liked it. It exploits the sprites it uses to its maximum potential, without falling victim to repetition most times. Some obstacles’ timing is very precise, especially starting the level: I feel like the further you progress the less hard the stage gets. Some stuff keeps catching me off-guard, mainly the grinder that doesn’t jump when the other 2 start doing so, or the fuckin airborne grinder that I thought was going to fall to the ground. Overall feels inconsistent difficulty wise, I think some of the obstacles seen in the latter parts of the stage could’ve fit better in the first half. Aesthetics wise it relies a lot in cement blocks and the ground palette isn’t that good. Oh, and did I mention the music sucks? Well it does, and since it’s aesthetics it dropped a point.
Boom! Bang! Pow! - 26th by FedoraFriday
Score - 20
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 07/25

Well, getting blinded by the fact that the foreground waterfalls and background waterfalls look the fucking same and then careening into a pit of munchers isn’t exactly the best way to start a level, but it does invoke the feeling of getting your ass caved in with a hammer as the title of this level onomatopoeias. Immediately right after I was treated to some pleasant slowdown and a cavalcade of sprite-throwing hooligans with no time to actually assess what any sprite did. I’m not entirely sure how the hell the player is supposed to deal with the setup on screen 0A, but I dealt with it as one would a gunshot wound. In slow motion, of course, because this level consistently slows down. And then it’s over as it started – jumbled, chaotic, and kind of miserable.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 9/20

I can assure you this level does in fact use spriteset 2, it uses all of it in fact, but it fails to use any of it in any sort of memorable way. The Venus Flyin’ Trap is a delicate enemy to utilize effectively, as if it’s too high up it’s too bothersome to deal with. However, as this level plays with, if it’s too low it becomes effectively a non-threat, and the setups with them between the bridges didn’t really work out to much of anything because they have so little impact. The Bomb Koopa exists to exist, and who remembers how else anything was used here. Everything felt so clustered and yet ultimately forgettable.

Aesthetics: 1/5

Graphics are an abhorred clash of a less-than-stellar foreground and decoration from another foreground of a completely different style. Matching foreground waterfalls and background waterfalls create a confusing look, and the graphics used in the finishing area are also not drawn well. Nuh-uh, sir.

Total: 17/50

Tob

09 / 07 / 03 -> 19
There are a lot of 3UP Moons in the level and all of them are way too easy to obtain. The muncher pit at the beginning is really bad.

Sinc-X

F: 10
C: 8
A: 5
Total: 23/50
Comments:
Cute aesthetic, but the design itself is kind of cramped and the level isn't long enough to leave much of an impression. The bomb Koopa setup with the Thwomp was a clever idea and I wish the use of the bomb Koopas like that was expanded upon a lot further. Aside from that there are some strange choices in some of the platforming, as well as the use of the moles contributing very little to the level and being more confusing/annoying than anything. A good effort but needs a lot of work.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 9/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 8/20
TOTAL: 21/50
Comments:
This level has a lot of issues. Mainly the layout; it’s way too cramped and has little room for breathing. There are areas where the projectile spam gets annoying. The usage of the included sprites is inconsistent; the flying venuses are okay, but sprites like the bomb koopas and the rolling/bouncing spinies feel shoehorned into the level. It’s wasted potential. And, finally, it’s way too short; it ends before it even truly starts.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Today's 2nd level ended in a similar way it began. I liked that bookending.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I said it on youtube, but I'll say it here: Llanfair PG was the best quick knock-off of a m/m level I've seen yet (a personal favourite of mine too, Nairobi from MaGL2)
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: I said it on youtube, but I'll say it here: Llanfair PG was the best quick knock-off of a m/m level I've seen yet (a personal favourite of mine too, Nairobi from MaGL2)
Thanks

Yeah just for some short dev commentary, I couldn't think of a level concept and it was getting close to night time, and I remembered we were talking about absurdly long level names in the jump half chat and I decided to make this lengthy boy lol. Sadly, even when using the longest extended ow names patch available, I had to chop off the last few letters. Funny enough, this is my second level named after a town in the UK. Also the level music is so old and janked up that I had to use an extremely old version of addmusic that Lazy helped me with to insert it, which took longer than making the level lol
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

He has the munchies - 13th by ft029
Score - 32,5
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 16/25

The difficulty is unwavering, but it’s enjoyable in a sadistic manner from front to back. The setups involving Controllable Carrot Top Lift feel the least interesting. Screen 3 does not introduce the mechanics of the Carrot Top Lift too well, and the setup immediately after could’ve done with lifting the cloud + ground up another tile. Getting hit when you’re big and bouncing because the fire hits about half a block under it is pretty lame. Screen 7’s setup felt pretty uncomfortable in a bad way to perform, too. screen 0B has a somewhat boring setup, at least in the way I performed it (lifting the platforms up together and just waiting on them until they exploded, then jumped back down and ran through it). These aside, the first half of the level has a lot of interesting setups, the setup on screen 0A is pretty cute. However…, I really feel the second half of this level becomes demanding and too precise to be fun anymore. It loses much of the charm of the first half, and the focus on being a quick race to spinjump on a 16x16 sprite on 1F0 sliding off while dealing with harder to notice stuff like the Atomic Muncher.. really not fun shit.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 15/20

Utilizes the Ptooie and Molotov Bros very effectively. The Atomic Munchers used in conjunction with the Ptooies to disable them was a cute touch, along with them falling onto 1F0 to use as a platform. The 32x32 Chomp barely exists in this level, so I really won’t comment on it other than it’s inclusion could probably be an issue for those unfamiliar with the fact that it jumps forward and dies. I don’t feel the Carrot Top Lift is used too effectively, but I also feel it’s a rather tough sprite to utilize well. You were able to use it in setups with other sprites in a creative manner, but I feel a lot more can be taken from them.

Yeah, those Muncher fires are funny, but they look bad as all hell. 1F0 looks pretty aesthetically unappealing, but not enough to really warrant a docked point.

Total: 35/50

Tob

17 / 18 / 02 -> 37
Great use of the molotov bro in combination with tile 1F0. It was a bit too hard (especially when trying to get the midway point or a powerup) in my opinion
and the visuals weren't really interesting either.

Sinc-X

F: 8
A: 2
Total: 26/50
Comments:
This level suffers from requiring a lot of trial and error to beat, which isn't really a fun experience. I love a lot of the ideas you presented, but in practice several of them end up being really awkward or inconsistent to execute in gameplay--great example of this is the midpoint. Additionally, the Molotov Bro's fire (muncher) animation has a blank state when still active, causing some unfair deaths (i.e. being killed by something invisible).

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 13/25
TOTAL: 32/50
Comments:
The quality of this level really drops in the second half. It starts with some good setups and a great usage of all but one boy in the sprite pack, but really drops to an annoying A holding marathon with annoying controllable carrot lift setups. It had a lot of potential which was lost in that half. You could have attempted something with the chomps instead of just dropping them in the last sublevel as a non-threatening obstacle. The hitbox for that fire spawned by the Molotov bombs is incorrect, by the way, as sometimes invisible parts of it hurt you. Still, my enjoyment of the first part is really what made me score this level like I did, and I wish the second part became something more than spinjumping.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - tied for 9th by Eminus
Score - 36
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 09/25

This joke feels a bit tried, but I’ll play along. The Circling Grinder and the Jumping Grinder seem to have been placed with aesthetic intent of symmetry, but neither situation benefits how the sprite works out too well. The first sprite surprise got me because I didn’t anticipate it rising up, and the second easily escapes its’ hole and goes on its own magical journey throughout the level. The Circling Thwimps aren’t placed too well either, kind of just going on their own journeys without any care on how they’d function in relation to both the construction of the land around them and the path the player would take perusing the level. The first Stationary Magikoopa is placed in a very annoying place, where you’re forced to deal with it head on in a constricted space. I’d advise you to allow the player more room when dealing with projectile based enemies like this, unless you’re levelengine in which case I’d just suggest you to keep doing you. The ending of this level kind of falls into itself with a cluster of Tornado jumps to where the screen doesn’t scroll quick enough, and Stationary Magikoopas kinda just placed by the hand of a drunken god. I felt this level was ultimately not constructed well, prioritizing the nature of it’s own existence as a joke rather than as something well designed and fun to play.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 07/20

As aforementioned, this level doesn’t really know what to do with any of the sprites it utilizes. There isn’t a strong understanding of how they function, and they are instead kind of just clustered in however they may fit. This level really feels like you designed all of the landmasses first and then placed sprites, and then sort of called it a day with how they functioned.

The multitude of A’s, while part of the joke, were a bit distracting. The ExAnimation was a nice touch, though.

Total: 20/50

Tob

15 / 12 / 05 -> 32
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
a little freaky but otherwise an alright level. The edited (and animated!) sprite graphics are really nice and give the level
a very... interesting personality. Besides the memeing around the level doesnt really do a whole lot of spectacular stuff with the
sprites. They aren't being used for their full potential. Also the very end of the level was really tedious because you couldn't tell
where you were going.

Sinc-X

F: 25
C: 17
A: 5
Total: 47/50
Comments:
I love you. I wish this was longer because it's super fun and well designed, and the sprites are used very well for an overall awesome experience. I'd also give this 10/5 in aesthetics if I could but alas

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 20/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 20/20
TOTAL: 45/50
Comments:
god fuck I’m literally this level. Letting aside the ridiculous – yet fun and well-crafted – looks on this level, there really are few things that kept this short of a perfect score. For instance, the first half felt pretty slow paced, and I get it’s an introduction, but it could’ve gotten more straight into the action as the player advanced. The second half has very minor issues. For instance, sometimes when I outran the screen when jumping on those GOOMBAAAAA boys I got put next to a Magikoopa just ready to fire in my face. That 5 mosaic thwimp arrangement sometimes desynced, making it a pain to calculate when to cross. And I also managed to get stuck just before the goal with nowhere to go, having no choice but to run out the timer. With those out the way though, a fantastic level. Looks deceived me into thinking this was just going to be a poorly designed meme level, when it truly is a great showcase of quality, making me rank it among the best in this competition.
GHASTLY LULLABY - 14th by chineesmw
Score - 32
idol

Hey, the backtracking at the beginning of this level made me realize the YI Balloons are randomly colored when they spawn. The first setup you come across to the right of the level has an unnecessary Balloon though, since it’s easier to just jump from the platform to the right & up. This level is quaint, but it feels a little copy + pasted. A notable example of this is how the setup on screen 05 appears nearly identical to the one on screen 0E. However, ultimately this level is a rather pleasing simple level. It falls victim to the unnecessary secret level curse, which does knock this down a bit as the secret exit adds nothing more than forcing the player to play this level twice.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 14/20

Manages to use the YI Balloons, the Cloud Drops, the Wave Stream Boos, and the Sleeping Goombas all effectively without anything feeling tossed in unwantedly. My only gripe was the re-use of the same Wave Stream Boo setup twice in a row early on in the level, I felt you could’ve done something much more interesting than that. Beyond that this level was missing a spark to bring it higher out of a simple rompy experience, but in terms of what it was nothing was terribly misused or cluttered.

Looks nice. Moon’s scrolling in the second half looks wonky, I know these are my GFX but they’re intended to be used with parallax scrolling or something lol. Ultimately not docking any points though because that feels anal to do.

Total: 34/50

Tob

16 / 14 / 04 -> 34
When playing the level without any Switch Palaces being active it feels weird to miss out on so much stuff but as soon as you activate
at least the green switch palace the level really opens up a lot and hides things all around the place. The place where those things
are placed in could've been bigger though. Having an exploration based level has great potential but it wasn't used all that much here.

Sinc-X

F: 20
C: 9
A: 4
Total: 33/50
Comments:
Simple but fun rompy level. While the use of the sprites wasn't particularly creative, they were at least used intuitively and make for a good play. Can't think of much else to comment on.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 11/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 13/20
TOTAL: 27/50
Comments:
I’m having some mixed feelings about this level. It isn’t really bad, but I think there’s just not too much interesting stuff until before the last area. From the spriteset you used I loved the balloon obstacles in the last area, but outside of that there’s nothing too spectacular. The sleepy goombas come to mind as the sprites with the most wasted potential. I liked this level’s plan with its non-linear style, which sadly only goes too far – while I’m not advocating for you to build a maze level, I just think you could’ve experimented more with these secret areas and path-taking more –. One thing to note is that the abuse of switch palace blocks was unnecessary: while I understand that it’s good to have them as a support, when enabled most obstacles just lose their platforming risks that they would have without them. There’s also an overabundance of powerups. When it comes to the looks it’s okay, but the level’s background would’ve suggested that this was taking place at night, whereas the foreground colors are too bright which is conflicting.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

controllable carrot: disappears without notice
chomp: jumps 8 times, then without notice does a large jump that is much faster and higher

good sprites I tell you. aaaaaaaa
Mosts Awards:
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

MarmotAAAAAAAAA.png
MarmotAAAAAAAAA.png (159.46 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Nice levelsAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

ᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀᴀ
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

my favorite part of aaaaaaaaaaaa is fire mario foaming at the mouth
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: 24 Hour Contest #11 - a

Post by Rixithechao »

hope you're doing okay wherever you are unaniem
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

I love that both Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogo and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA tied for 9th.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

raocow commented that the spikes weren't screaming, but they did have A's on them.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

24hoSMW - 25th by Kazkek
Score - 22,25
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 04/25

The timing on the first obstacle is pretty silly, you really need to rush to make that first jump because you have the YI Balloon starting up so high. The more I played of this level, the more it became apparent that this was going to be a bit of a miserable experience. This level is overlong and poorly mangled together into a barely cohesive experience – the YI Balloons are consistently poorly placed, the Sleeping Goombas are just kind of spammed without having much of an intrinsic purpose. The ground in 0D is completely pointless, as you’re fucked if you jump down there since you place your YI Balloons so high. The Koopa that explodes out of the block right after has no point, it would never hit the player and it’s only purpose is to die instantly. The ghost house section is where this level really falls apart, though. The fog effect is odd.. and kind of poorly tiled, but the bigger issue in this segment is how little thought was put into the placement of the Wave Boo Streams, often sniping the player as they’re placed in incredibly annoying positions. There’s a forced hit if you’re Big Mario on screen 02-03, which feels as if you just did not test things properly whatsoever, or had no qualms forcing the player to take a hit for an uninteresting setup. The wall of Bullet Blasters on screen 0D felt kind of cheap, primarily due to the improper placement of YI Balloons and their hiding in the shadows. What little structure this level had until now completely fell apart in the vertical section, which requires the player to keep these balloons on screen the entire time while throwing a myriad of confusing design choices at the player (why is there even a springboard when you can use the YI Balloons?). There’s a lot of unnecessary waiting in this area too – the P-Switch part on screen 08 just has a screen gap of emptiness, the 4 screens of spammed spike setups with Bullet Bill generator is just obvious level padding, and the Big Boo fight again requires the player to utilize the YI Balloons instantly, making sure they do everything perfect or they have to die. If you miss out on the Balloons, you lose the ability to get the other throw blocks. Ultimately.. I’m just really not sure what the ethos was for this levels conception, but you need to work on your execution a lot.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 05/20

Sprites are placed which-wherever. Not terribly spammed, but with little thought in how they’d play out. YI Balloons are the focus here – but they’re used poorly consistently throughout the entire level. The other sprites make an appearance – Stretches, Sleeping Goombas, Cloud Drops, Wave Stream Boos – but they all do is fill a quota. They just fill up space and that’s it.

Poor palette in the first room, miscolored berries, bad looking lava, the weird green shit thrown on the bottom of the floating logs… yeah. And to think – we’re not even in the ghost house yet! The fog effect, as aforementioned, is not tiled well, and scrolls pretty oddly. The Boo Circles have glitched graphics, and the tiles the Stretch Boos are sitting on are not colored well. The background in the vertical section does not scroll right, and you see a big blob of glitched map16 once you get high up enough.
Total: 10/50

Tob

19 / 18 / 03 -> 40
The level only had one really visually interesting area and that was the first part of the ghost house interior. The lighting effect is done extraordinarily well.
The focus on the balloon sprite falls flat in the first half of the level, but gets really interesting and well done later on.

Sinc-X

F: 14
C: 12
A: 2
Total: 28/50
Comments:
The first half of this level is completely outclassed by the second half; it almost feels like they were made by two different people. The first half is a pretty boring romp with some weird moments, like one part with the ...orbs? where if you miss the jump the first time you get kinda stuck on a little platform below where you have to either die or make a really long blind jump to the next one. It's not unplayable, but it doesn't pique any interest. The second half though is way more creative with its sprite use and design in general. it's not fantastic, but it's miles better than what I went into it expecting based on the outside section. The balloons as a central mechanic is great, though a lot of the time it was just waiting around aimlessly to get to the right height. Cool concept in theory but it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. I also don't like how sometimes the darkness effect hides incoming Wavy Boos until it's too late to avoid them. Still a fun level to play overall.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 5/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 5/20
TOTAL: 11/50
Comments:
Man this level just has way too many issues to count. It’s inconsistent with the sprites all around, be them from the set provided or from the vanilla game. The first area has a lot of flat land stretches where it’s no issue to avoid the threats. Some of the balloons’ placement feels way random in this area. The palette is bad, the ground has barely any contrast and the goombas’ palette is wrong. The podoboos leave the wrong tile when jumping and their placement is rarely a threat. The first house section has this terrible window which makes hard to see what’s going on, as for one it’s supposed to stay fixed, and second its movement is disorienting, causing the difficulty to rise artificially. The tiles in the boo ring are wrong. It suffers from big Mario discrimination forcing you to take a hit. Sprites such as the green pea bouncer and the koopa that flies in a range are introduced, but feel inconsistent as they appear for only one section never to be seen again. The only obstacle that came close to being interesting here is the area with the balloons and the wave boo streams, but even that is an issue with those barely visible at first bullet blasters. When I got to the On/Off area I thought the level finally ended but no, it keeps dragging on with another section. It’s a bit close to being the best part of the level, but it’s irritating and you will be punished if you didn’t bring enough balloons to cross some pits, forcing you to start over. We keep with the theme of big Mario discrimination. There’s a chance that if the player presses the P-Switch too soon, the time will run out before they even get to the area with the brown blocks, forcing you to start the section over. It feels really boring to have to wait to arrive to another platform while you’re in the blocks. When you’re in the final stretch good luck to not fuck up that jump, else boom, you start the section again! When the background loops glitchy tiles appear. After that the level drags on more with a final boo boss battle, it’s decent but at this point you just want the level to end. This level had a cute idea but it’s execution was bad, very bad.
SATELLITE SAGA - 28th by Caracc
Score - 19
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 08/25

This level is repetitious, with areas that feel like they’re just completely copy-pasted over again with minor edits, and little focus on making something interesting to experience. Levels like these are often hard to judge, to be frank, because there is seemingly little to them. This is a level, it has a green-metallic tileset, it has a Pendulum Mace, and it has some Pipe-Dwelling Bullet Blasters that are one tile lower than they need to be for some reason. In fact, there are many of these Blasters, and then a section with Sonic graphics and then it’s over. I really took little from this experience.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 10/20

Focuses both on the Pendulum Maces and the Blaster, but doesn’t really take advantage of either in too much of an interesting way. Setups with the Pendulum Mace are rather repetitive, and the Blasters exist to be a nuisance at best. The NSMB Propeller is somewhat shoehorned in the second section, and the player doesn’t actually land on the Blasters with the Propeller, which is pretty janky. I don’t have much else to say beyond that.

The background not scrolling felt sort of distracting, although this background can’t scroll. I would have just suggested using a different background entirely. The tileset is okay, but the pass-through girders still look somewhat solid. The second half being a completely different stylistic change really brings this down, making the level just feel rather inconsistent as hell.

Total: 20/50

Tob

07 / 06 / 02 -> 15
None of the sprites really get used that excessively, if at all. The interior part is also really boring and looks ugly.

Sinc-X

F: 12
C: 8
Total: 23/50
Comments:
The first half of this level is nice and uses the pendulums well, however this really falls flat in the second half which ends up just feeling like projectile spam and not being very fun. The girders in the first half also could have used some more difference in the palettes between solid/nonsolid because at first glance they look pretty similar.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 8/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 8/20
TOTAL: 18/50
Comments:
Man this level is so boring. Some areas which are very devoid of enemies in the first half. Not only that but it relies heavily on koopas more so than with the sprites provided within the set. The pipe blasters aren’t too much of a threat to the player, as the player can outrun them easily before they shoot. The second half isn’t much better. The propeller block is used in a decent way but it really makes this section a breeze; not even with the spam of the shotzos and the bill blasters does Mario come close to suffering damage. The Yoshi Coin placement in this level feels really thoughtless. Nothing much to add, it gives me barely anything else to talk about.