(shouting)

24 Hour Contest #11 - design a level in 24 hours with a given challenge

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: 24 Hour Contest #11 - design a level in 24 hours with a given challenge

Post by Lazy_ »

Yeah, I submitted this level under the impression that it wouldn't do well since it only used 2 sprites and just sorta phoned it in in general, so I'm a tad embarassed that it won. I feel bad for people like ft who tried their hardest to squeeze some remotely impressive setups out of these more often than not terrible sprites, only to end up doing mediocrely.
Last edited by Lazy_ 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

aw don't be embarrassed that you won (even if most of the jump1/2 team was kind of jaded to this type of design)

Also, Mandew updated the bouncing spiny eggs recently so that they could be easier to deal with: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=18011. Perhaps the venus plant will get a similar treatment.
Mosts Awards:
MiracleWater

Post by MiracleWater »

Lazy_ wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, I submitted this level under the impression that it wouldn't do well since it only used 2 sprites and just sorta phoned it in in general
This.
Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago Those comments... Such mindless groupthink directed at a level that honestly looked pretty fun from what I saw. I feel bad for MiracleWater here, assuming he watches raocow and dares to check the comments.
The general insults don't really bother me. I do, however, try to consider the constructive criticism.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I think the third place level was my personal favorite, but wow did this contest have some surprisingly great levels given the time and sprite requirements.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Well, if the winner of this contest is named Lazy, does this mean I can win a contest by downloading a random hack, saving a level, and submitting it? :D
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

People were saying before how MiracleWater can make the best and the worst of things, or at least people in comments reacted that way, but it looks like that has nothing on Lazy_
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

If anything, the most significant thing we've learned from this contest is that level names are becoming increasingly nonsensical every contest (if you think this is bad, just wait till you see a certain world in jump half lol)
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

gbreeze wrote: 5 years ago If anything, the most significant thing we've learned from this contest is that level names are becoming increasingly nonsensical every contest (if you think this is bad, just wait till you see a certain world in jump half lol)
This makes me wonder just how much raocow has influenced the SMW hacking scene in general.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I would say this forum has definitely popularized the concept of non-nintendo-style Mario levels and humor. A lot of weirder ideas can probably trace their origins to ASMT and SMBX collabs/contests. I've seen a lot of the names associated with that style of level design in contests or collabs from this site. Even though I'm much more of a Nintendo-style purist when it comes to my design preferences, I appreciate that other people have broken the mold of Mario design and actively experiment with what the game offers even if the experiments aren't always successful.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

At the same time, a lot of the talkhaus' design style was itself directly inspired by VIP. So it can go back a bit further.
g. breeze wrote: If anything, the most significant thing we've learned from this contest is that level names are becoming increasingly nonsensical every contest (if you think this is bad, just wait till you see a certain world in jump half lol)
i've been waiting for years
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago i've been waiting for years
this read like a comedic hyperbole to me but like

monkaS seems really appropriate here
Leet

Post by Leet »

To be fair, it could be worse

Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Hold on. I haven't really been paying attention to Jump half yet (I'm merely a casual fan, entirely outside the hacking scene), but I kinda assumed by the name that it was originally intended as a quick thing to fill the space before a bigger sequel to JUMP. Now I'm beginning to doubt myself -- did I misinterpret what's actually a perfectly good jokey name for a sequel?
Leet

Post by Leet »

You're right that jump half was intended to be a bit more 'downscaled' than jump in terms of complexity, but i don't think there were ever plans for a jump 2; i also suspect that, just like the original jump, it's probably undergone some feature creep by now.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

I thought YUMP was the quick thing meant to fill time until JUMPhalf. Working on 3 collabs at once seems like the perfect way to finish none of them.
Leet

Post by Leet »

I mean, the """jump team""" is doing a pretty great job at "making complete projects out of nowhere while other talkhaus works languish at 95 percent" - i'd complain if yump and mice weren't so damn good
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

hi!!! Someone was prompted to reply
JUMPhalf did start with a simpler premise (although not necessarily smaller/quicker). It was first meant to be the VIP-like game that was first thought up for JUMP itself, but just like its prequel things kind of escalated... it's currently bigger than JUMP, easier, way more polished and almost finished. Some big things are currently still in development though, so it may take another little while to come out
Also we are currently deliberately not working on any other collabs until it gets finished!!
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Cool cool. That makes sense. And I know how it is with feature creep, it's a natural law of the universe that whenever creative people work on a thing, that thing will scale up.