(shouting)

cldc 2018 - layers

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: chogolate 2018 - friendly little key with friendly little feet

Post by Paragraph »

How is "boy that one judge sure writes a LOT" a controversial statement?!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

we're three levels in and people are already fighting over judge comments?

c'mon folks
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ivy wrote: 5 years agogotta be honest i'm just one of Those Boys who don't care at all for the judge comments and just want to see raocow having fun.
Luckily for you they're being posted in spoilers so you don't have to read them.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

something about the controllable math section really hit me with rm2k3 nostalgia for ... some reason
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Two extremely solid levels, both very cohesive and player-friendly. This is the kind of level where finding things to say about is extremely difficult, because everything that makes them good is there but invisible.
video games
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago we're three levels in and people are already fighting over judge comments?

c'mon folks
"people", "fighting"

no offense to you in particular but i find posts like this that imply something controversial when nothing is actually happening to be rather counter productive because they just invite more and more people to post their own "oh no, i'm staying out of this one!" type posts when in 90 percent of cases ... there's nothing going on

seriously look at any "Big Controversey" and compare the ratio of actual content to people vagueing about how there's a Big Controversey

or alternatively just take comments at face value instead of cordoning any conversation that has more than one participant off

but again i didn't mean to direct this at you in particular, i just see this all the time on the internet
as for the levels, the first one was kind of boring and the second one was kind of cool but neither of them are cuh-razy enough yet
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Were those weasels based on Duke Weaselton from Zootopia, or do all cartoon weasels look the same?
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I really liked the math platform level. I'm a huge fan of math platforming and always thought that if I were to make a level, my first one would try to do something with them. Until the second half, most of the setups here were vanilla, with some very nice jumps to make as the timer runs out, multiple platform management, some of them even used as opponents (wanted to carry you into a spike wall) instead of helpers; great exploration of an underused gimmick.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

7NameSam wrote: 5 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago
idol wrote: 5 years ago Why does the key have feet?
it is my opinion that all keys should have feet
This is the correct opinion and everyone should have it
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Were those weasels based on Duke Weaselton from Zootopia, or do all cartoon weasels look the same?
I think they do because I had a completely different cartoon weasel pop into my head and i don't even know what it was
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Possible sources of inspiration:

* The Weasel Squad from Who Framed Roger Rabbit
* The weasel enemies from Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers for the NES
* The rodent enemies from Mega Man DOS (they stood straight up sometimes)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
TRS

Post by TRS »

I'm Noivern.

Make fun of my judging.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

TRS wrote: 5 years ago I'm Noivern.

Make fun of my judging.
ha ha ha

your opinion is different than mine
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Ivy wrote: 5 years ago gotta be honest i'm just one of Those Boys who don't care at all for the judge comments and just want to see raocow having fun.
I'm sorry my OLDC judging left you with such deep psychological scars.
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

Maybe I should've finished my backup judging. Then I could've been a controversy scapegoat.

I really really didn't like the math level playing it, it took me like an hour to beat and I kept game-overing lol. Lots of one-attempt or die obstacles and I had severe issues with the wall jump blocks.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Were those weasels based on Duke Weaselton from Zootopia, or do all cartoon weasels look the same?
I think they do because I had a completely different cartoon weasel pop into my head and i don't even know what it was
pop goes the weasel
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

The weasels made me think of a cartoon version of The Wind in the Willows of which I have vague, but fond, childhood memories.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I sometimes wonder why I have feet since all I do is sit on my arse all day. It's one of the great unsolved mysteries of evolution.
dont wanna jihad no more
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Re: chocolate lelvelfes design contest 2018 - controllable math

Post by idol »

wrow shits late today huh

DO THE WEASEL STOMP
Placement: 23
Codename: furry
Author: Sockbat Replica
Judge Comments:

FPzero:

Fun Factor: 16/30
Presentation: 12/20
Creativity: 6/10

Total: 34/60

Comments:
The sine wave boo lasers were pretty neat, set up well, and were often tricky to avoid. But the Angry Weasels(Rexes) I'm not sure about. There were only a couple places where I thought they really added to the level, and one of those places was right at the end. There was some strange framerate hitching throughout the level and I think the Boos stopped spawning at one point. So the level was a little bit buggy but mostly ok in that regard. Looked okay, nothing amazing, music was pretty subdued.
It was competent, but I feel like it needed more to it, or at least more use of the sprites it was already showing off.

Noivern:

Vertical Boo streams are a cool idea but the way they're implemented here leads to a lot of quick hits. You didn't iterate on the design as the level went on, so the level felt same-y throughout. It's difficult to tell the difference between solid and non-solid edges. I like the weasels, they looked cute.

Total: 30

Blind Devil:

Fun: This one is hard, but mostly due to unfair enemy placements. It's a cave level revolving around various sprites, but mostly custom wavy Boo streams and reskinned Rexes, especially chasing ones. The chasing Rexes are painful to dodge because they're very fast, and the player hardly ever see they coming. Plus, there's no warning. When they notice the sprite and finally manage to react, it's too late - a hit was taken. Other instances of unfairness were Piranha Plant corridors with vertical wavy Boo streams being generated. Passing through these were annoying, as it didn't only depend on timing, but also luck. On another topic, the overall level design is simplistic, but not too linear. There was a decent Yoshi Coin placing around the stage despite some being really easy and non-challenging to get, but some setups were nice as this made the level not feel extremely samey. Other positives are the level length, time limit and midway point location. No problems here. Summing all up, this level would have been a tad better if there weren't any unfair parts or sprite setups.
Fun points: 19/30

Presentation: The player and sprite graphics are vanilla-styled, with exception of the Rex reskins which lacked shading thus looking odd with the rest of the environment. FG and BG graphics are custom ones, though they are fitting (it's a common mix we see in most chocolate hacks out there). Aside from the little graphical nitpick, there were no instances of bad palettes, cutoff or glitches. The custom unsampled song was very very simple, and so was the level, meaning the choice was consistent. No SFX went broken so no points are deducted. Lastly, the level didn't have a gimmick but was focused on Rexes and Boo streams and was more design-oriented. Though I feel they overstayed their welcome a bit, considering they weren't properly introduced to the the player, too. Using at least a warning message could have helped here. Oh, I've seen you've used SA-1 for the entry, as well, but I didn't see it being useful or necessary in order to avoid slowdown or for taking advantages overall, so no loss of points in that regards.
Presentation points: 15/20

Creativity: Most obstacle patterns and sprite setups were pretty basic, but there were a few varied ones, namely the sequence of ledges with regular Rexes to get a Yoshi Coin/Chasing Rexes right before the goal, and the Piranha Plant corridors with vertical wavy Boo streams being spawned. The problem with some of them was their unfairness. Anyway, it was possible to do more interesting setups in that regards: making a small vertical section where you climb or descend while Boo Streams are spawned, also giving some breathing room, or making different sections that rely on moving chasing Rexes out of a path in order to proceed and get a powerup/Yoshi Coin/whatever, as well as lots of other alternatives. A good thing you used few resources and made a playable level with them, having quality over quantity.
Creativity points: 6/10
----------
Total Score: 40/60
&&&

Living on the sky
Placement: 13
Codename: aerials
Author: Fellipe R
Judge Comments:

FPzero:

Fun Factor: 16/30
Presentation: 12/20
Creativity: 6/10

Total: 34/60

Comments:
The sine wave boo lasers were pretty neat, set up well, and were often tricky to avoid. But the Angry Weasels(Rexes) I'm not sure about. There were only a couple places where I thought they really added to the level, and one of those places was right at the end. There was some strange framerate hitching throughout the level and I think the Boos stopped spawning at one point. So the level was a little bit buggy but mostly ok in that regard. Looked okay, nothing amazing, music was pretty subdued.
It was competent, but I feel like it needed more to it, or at least more use of the sprites it was already showing off.

Noivern:

This level toys a lot with blind and semi-blind jumps. Quite often you have to jump onto moving objects, but those objects are just off-camera when you need to jump. The level mechanics aren't introduced properly before the player is forced to use them, resulting in a few cheap deaths. Removal of extraneous mechanics like walljumping and monty moles would have made for a more focued level.

Total: 34

Blind Devil:

Fun: It's a nice athletic sky level, with varied but engaging obstacles and sprite setups. A little downside comes from a bit of item babysitting, though, even though they're not really required for beating the level via normal exit. It is, however, required for getting a certain Yoshi Coin (the player need a Koopa shell for the task and they won't predict this in the first play), and to get the key (a P-Switch is required). There was also a kinda blind jump in the first walljump sections, specifically the fifth walljump, when the timed lift is about to run up. There are just a few coins in a straight line, and the player won't predict they have to do a long jump to the right in order to reach the walljump blocks, which results in a fall to death. Apart from these issues, the level had a good difficulty, good usage of Yoshi Coins in an engaging yet challenging way, decent length and time limit and the midway point location was spot-on.
Fun points: 26/30

Presentation: There were no graphical clashes, bad palettes, glitches or cutoffs. The FG and BG went pretty well with each other in a common mix we see in most chocolate hacks, plus the SMW-styled sprites and vanilla player. The music choice wasn't good, however - it's a fully sampled, very detailed song, most fitting for hacks or levels that try and change almost everything, and it slightly messes up the pitch of certain sound effects and totally breaks the death, P-Switch and course clear themes. Custom unsampled or semi-sampled songs would be not only more fitting with the overall feel of the level, but safer to use, as in they wouldn't have affected other stuff. Functionality-wise, the entry uses SA-1, but it's not weighed in here because the level wouldn't have slowdown anyways, and the overall sprite setups weren't spammy. The level didn't have a main gimmick - various mechanisms existed, and they were properly introduced and implemented into a more design-oriented stage. Summing up, all downsides here are mostly musical.
Presentation points: 16/20

Creativity: The entry had a great sense of creativity overall, even though most obstacle patterns were simple on their on. Good thing they were pretty varied. The most clever and notable sections are definitely the ones that use Timed Lifts in conjunction with walljump blocks, and the ones involving Timed Lifts, Mega Moles and other sprites that can be stomped in order to reach higher places (Parakoopas or Banzai Bills). I only missed having one or two sections that make the player leave a bit out of the comfort zone, thinking a bit "out of the box" - for example, you could have a section in which the player traverse a Muncher corridor, and a Mega Mole is in a different one above. They have to move right until the sprite appears, then backtrack and ride the Mega Mole before the lift time runs out. Anyway, given the choice of resources and the overall balanced usage of them, the score here is a good one.
Creativity points: 9/10
----------
Total Score: 51/60
i havent watched the video yet because i was too busy getting my diaphragm yanked today. will update closer to normal existence tomorrow
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

idol you posted the wrong comments for me on Living in the Sky. Here they are from my doc:
Fun Factor: 21/30
Presentation: 13/20
Creativity: 7/10

Total: 41/60

Comments:
The secret exit was completely unneeded since it just required the player to play the whole level again but this time find a p-switch and carry the key with them. The level would've been stronger without it.
There are also a few nasty blind jumps in the first half requiring the player to jump off the timed platforms onto enemies or walljump blocks that are barely onscreen when they start the jump. Even knowing about the walljump one in advance I still died to it a few times for simply not jumping early enough.
Most of the timed platform setups were pretty decent, if tricky. Combining them with the walljump blocks worked well enough. The controllable timed lifts were cool, but I think you could have used them better. As they were, they were sitting in their own little portion of the stage unrelated to the other stronger elements.
Graphics were nice, though you should've had the walk-through pillars be a different color than the solid ones. Music was an odd choice but Web Woods has an ethereal quality to it that worked well enough with the sky theming.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

idol, by the way, I included all reviews in the same archive as raocow has received. You may or may not find that useful.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

still making those epic (9) jokes huh
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago still making those epic (9) jokes huh
nein
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I like how Cirno's theme played everywhere except the story screens with Cirno in them, when we got...Chocobo music instead. Sure!

What was the song from the second level? The instrumentation sounded vaguely like what Ronald Jenkees did with Outer Space.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image