(shouting)

cldc 2018 - layers

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Celiacs Love Dark Chocolate 2018 - ghost sled

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The puzzle section looked like the best part of the level, though it would have been unpleasant to run out of time there. Or dying there in general, since there was no apparent midpoint after the first Boom-Boom fight.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the judges didn't care much for the lack of cohesion in "enemy spam - bad Boom-Boom fight - puzzle rooms - worse Boom-Boom fight - suddenly Yoshis" and that's why this scored so low.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

This level should have won on True Administrator alone.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

This yet again felt like an excerpt from an existing or work-in-progress larger hack. Such a level's having elements that make little sense, or otherwise lack cohesion, might make more sense when the level is part of a larger work. Maybe.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

The biggest crime today's level committed was simply just difficulty, at least when I played it.
And considering how good raocow is I could see him enjoying it.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 5 years ago The puzzle section looked like the best part of the level, though it would have been unpleasant to run out of time there. Or dying there in general, since there was no apparent midpoint after the first Boom-Boom fight.
You respawn in the room you died in if you die in one of the puzzle areas. Doesn't quite make sense, but I'm not complaining.
Mosts Awards:
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oh, that's good. Although it makes it feel even more like the whole level should have just been puzzles.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

thread update for today n tomorrow will be later in the day. any mod is welcome to update the op + title if they want ~
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

idol wrote: 5 years ago is it

miraclewaters

:cry:
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

From this point on, all entries will be in random order.

With exception for Top 3, that is.
Last edited by Sugar 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I mean, some of them are probably going to be just good and solid. What's really impressive to me is that it really doesn't go below good and solid.
video games
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This would have been a really good level if it was literally only the puzzle rooms, and maybe put the first boom-boom at the end of them instead of the second boom-boom. One of those cases where a lot of effort was put into things that made the level worse.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Re: chogolate 2018 - friendly little key with friendly little feet

Post by idol »

Travel to Airship
Placement: 33rd
Codename: Everything
Author: yoshi9429
Judge Comments:

FPzero:

Fun Factor: 15/30
Presentation: 12/20
Creativity: 7/10

Total: 34/60

Comments:
The bad first. The Boom-Boom fights are brutally difficult because of how fast he moves combined with the jumping saw and generator enemies. I lost over 20 lives on the second fight alone and never felt like I was in control of my victories. It really soured me on the level overall which is too bad.
In general the level was very difficult, with lots of new sprites to learn and interact with with lots of projectiles to avoid too. I'm also not sure the second half was all that needed to be honest. The sudden puzzle rooms shifted the level's attention away from action platforming to problem solving.
But on the good side, the level looked nice, sounded nice and was generally enjoyable to play outside the bosses. Those sections were difficult but enjoyable for the most part.
The bosses though... good thing I farmed lives at the beginning.

Noivern:

Just immediately as you enter, it's clear that this level has no mechanical identity. There are so many different varieties of enemies placed to haphazardly. Sometimes there's no death sound when you die. The retry prompt kills layer 3. Why does the key have feet? Why did this suddenly becaome a "defeat all the enemies in the room" level? Why are you mixing midway points and the retry prompt patch? Why is the music so loud?

Total: 12/60

Blind Devil:

Fun: My experience was extremely negative with this one. The design overall is claustrophobic, cramped and spammy ever since the beginning and it extends until the end of the level. There are too many enemies everywhere, with not enough room for the player to breathe or dodge stuff. Everything comes at their face, all the time. Aimed horizontal Bullet Bills, bouncing Parakoopas, Venus fireballs, Gusty shooters, bouncing Dry Bones... and a whole lot more. There were parts with lots of slowdown which not only affects the fun factor, but presentation as well. And not only restricted to the design itself, the level was long and the difficulty was unfair. At least there was the retry prompt and the multiple midway points, reducing the amount of player punishment. There was some item babysitting here and there, most notably with the springboard in the first sublevel. If the player somehow throws the sprite away (not in a pit, but somewhere unreachable), there's no way to advance anymore, and they have to die and start over. The other babysitting moments were with keys, but these were less punishing as the player could reset the rooms if they manage to mess up. The boss battles were also plain annoying. Boom-Boom might not be a hard boss, but using it with an aimed Bullet Bill shooter and a bouncing Grinder made everything utterly frustrating. And after defeating him (twice), you get a walking key as a gift to keep going through the level that seemed infinite. I was so relieved when I managed to clear this stage because holy god it was awful in almost all points. Many rooms seemed filler and pointless.
Fun points: 5/30

Presentation: Terrible as a whole. The vanilla no Yoshi entrance was completely unnecessary, and it also didn't fit with the overall level theming. There was an amalgamation of graphical styles: SMB2-styled Mario graphics for the player, some vanilla-styled Pirate Koopas, vanilla Chainsaws, SMWR-styled Dry Bones, Grinders, Gamma V-styled Venuses, a Spiny whose egg is vanilla but graphics are from SMB3, simple SMW-styled FG tilesets with weird nonsense and overall detailed decoration elements like the animated flowers, detailed backgrounds against everything else... and the list goes on. But I can't forget to mention the final sublevel sprites: there are reskinned Bowser Statues with YI Yoshi graphics, a half-reskinned Goomba with Wiggler parts, and a reskinned jumping Piranha Plant with Fuzzy graphics! Science has gone too far! Not only restricted to graphical styles, the sprite setups were incoherent. Level is airship-themed for the most part but includes castle enemies together with grassland, YI sprites, an SMB3 boss, forest enemies, and the list goes on as well. Now, the music choices: they were okay, until arriving at the last sublevel. All songs were cool, unsampled, somehow fitting with their respective environments, but then all of a sudden a fully sampled song appeared and destroyed the soundtrack cohesion as well. At least it didn't destroy SFX or global songs. Functionality-wise, even more problems appear. There's massive slowdown, most notably in the first sublevel due to sprite spamming, and the retry prompt also made the layer 3 water disappear. The 'airship activated' cutscene was pretty improvised and this could have been fixed by using some uberASM code like the Cutscene Mode one, or simply by getting rid of it. A cutscene in which the player can pause, jump, die from time up is definitely a not functional cutscene. And finally, let's talk about the difficulty curve and the overall theme/gimmick of the level: there was no curve, just artificial difficulty and unfairness. There was no center theme, just a load of sprites thrown at a ship level with no apparent thought. The only presentation points this entry gets are with decent palettes and no cutoff/glitches. The rest was helpless.
Presentation points: 2/20

Creativity: Glad it had at least a few creative, memorable spots such as the "kill all sprites and get a key" puzzle rooms. These were good, albeit simple. However, that was all. The level could have had an infinite amount of clever setups with all resources you chose to design it, but you went with quantity over quality. You had many possibilities in your hands but you chose to just fill your level with stuff.
Creativity points: 3/10
----------
Total Score: 10/60
this was probably my least favorite level. completely incohesive, overlong banal garbage. yuckies.

edit; also oh yeah i should be explainign the levels codenames when i remember them. this level was codenamed everything because it contains everything. thats all
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

idol wrote: 5 years ago Why does the key have feet?
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/them

Post by 7NameSam »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago
idol wrote: 5 years ago Why does the key have feet?
it is my opinion that all keys should have feet
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

It might have been because I had never really interacted with many of the sprites used in today's level that I didn't really mind their inclusions. But really the Gusty is the only one I would raise an eyebrow towards since Bullet Bills, Para-Dry Bones, Grinders and Pendulum Ball n Chains all fit the amongst the general castle/airship sprite sets. I could take or leave the Jumping Venus plants though. Really, I just recall having a pretty good time with the level outside the Boom Boom fights but those dragged it down for me with how hard they were.

I still think it'd be a stronger level if they'd only done the action platforming or the puzzle sections, not both. And the moon section with enemies probably wasn't needed either.
Leet

Post by Leet »

The vanilla no Yoshi entrance was completely unnecessary, and it also didn't fit with the overall level theming.
blind devil, there might be such a thing as too much feedback
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
The vanilla no Yoshi entrance was completely unnecessary, and it also didn't fit with the overall level theming.
blind devil, there might be such a thing as too much feedback
come on leet

come on

thats fine enough criticism and you know it
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

maybe i should have read the next line instead in which he talks about clash (lol) by listing every single sprite in meticulous detail
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago maybe i should have read the next line instead in which he talks about clash (lol) by listing every single sprite in meticulous detail
Opinions

If those kinds of complaints are going to get under your skin this much, maybe don't read them...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

i'm just making a joke about how blind devil's feedback is overly detailed for the circumstances, it doesn't actually matter? wtf's your problem?

"what's the deal with airline food" "if airline food gets under your skin so much, maybe don't eat it..." :BIG EYEROLL:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago i'm just making a joke about how blind devil's feedback is overly detailed for the circumstances, it doesn't actually matter? wtf's your problem?

"what's the deal with airline food" "if airline food gets under your skin so much, maybe don't eat it..." :BIG EYEROLL:
Sure it was.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I understood what Leet meant.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

honestly though, I think the sprite "clashing" in this case is fairly inconsequencial and complaining about it feels really superficial and kind of unecessary. But eh.

I'm glad that this level did find its niche, what with it being enjoyable to some players such as raocow. Even ldad thought that this level went on for way, way too long. The fact that raocow and others enjoyed it means that the level did hit its mark P:
video games
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

gotta be honest i'm just one of Those Boys who don't care at all for the judge comments and just want to see raocow having fun.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Leet

Post by Leet »

Sure it was.
are you ... seriously arguing that my idle comment about "haha this is really detailed compared to the other judges" was very serious and i'm just lying to you? i can't imagine what it must be like to think like this 0_0