(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Giik

Celeste - Everest

Post by Giik »

Hype thread let's go HYPE THREAD LET'S GO

Celeste is one of my favorite games. It's friggin' polished, super tight, and ahfdsjfgh it's REALLY GOOD and i'm glad raocow's playing it. He'll probably make it look piss easy compared to my hell experience with it, especially in the postgame.

--A-- --B-- --C--
Last edited by Giik 5 years ago, edited 59 times in total.
Grounder

Re: Celeste (Pre-show) - Annapurna Massif

Post by Grounder »

I'm 80% sure this thing is overhyped, but chances are people are going to love this LP, and good for them.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Play it and revisit your comment, I say
Giik

Post by Giik »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago I'm 80% sure this thing is overhyped, but chances are people are going to love this LP, and good for them.
Yeah I'm a matt thorson fanboy so I'm pretty much guaranteed to love anything he makes.
It doesn't like, revolutionize the genre or anything; it's just a really solidly built platformer focused around a mechanic, and it experiments with it until it runs out of ideas, and stops there. Nice and good.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago Play it and revisit your comment, I say
I don't care for the dev for reasons I won't get into, and I'm not going to get it any other way than with money, so it's a pass from me.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Matt needs to account for what he did (and I hope he explains himself), but he's not the only one involved in this project. It's unfair to penalize others in the team of a good game because of a mean thing one person did. I want to leave it at that unless he does show up, and enjoy the game.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

reposting this comment from patapon in case roaocoww doesn't see it there

just a note before the first vid proper; the levels in this game are mostly too long to fit in a video, but the game autosaves your progress at every screen so don't worry about losing progress. also, this symbol:
means you have just reached a new section of the level so if you want to stop and don't know how much is left but see that symbol, there's still a decent bit left & it's probably better to stop, just a few tips to help recording of this game go smoothly
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just a head's up that this thread is like one day early but that's fine, it's okay to have it prepared a little ahead of time.

Looking forward to playing this!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

It is my belief that m. thorson has never topped An Untitled Story

So let's see I guess
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Regarding ano0's spoilered stuff, I still feel the same way. But when I finally got around to setting those personal feelings aside and giving the game a chance it absolutely lived up to the hype.

Like, yes, part of that hype is the accessibility-oriented features and design +

the central themes of depression and anxiety

so it became one of those "you need to play this/follow this example" games in progressive circles. But both are handled well, and even setting those things aside you still have smooth and satisfying gameplay, fantastic aesthetics, and plenty of secrets and extra challenges besides the main game.

The game may not revolutionize the genre in a big way but it definitely stands on its own merits and there's still a lot one can learn from it, in terms of game design as much as other stuff.

that being said, chapter 8 can go suck a potato

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i like it mostly because it's just such a well-made game from all fronts, the game never feels like it's just being a dick to you like so many other precision platformers love to be (*cough* meat boy *cough*) and it maintains a high level of creativity and satisfying platforming the whole way through

oh yeah also raocow this game has the thing where you have the normal levels, and then you have like, the hard mode remixes of those levels & like with meat boy the difficulty curve will feel a lot better if you go through all the normal levels first before doing the b-sides, i'd say even the easiest b-side is about on par with the normal endgame content (pretty close at least) so

this isn't a spoiler anywho the store page tells you they exist i'm just not gonna talk about how to unlock them
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Giik

Post by Giik »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago just a head's up that this thread is like one day early but that's fine, it's okay to have it prepared a little ahead of time.

Looking forward to playing this!
Yeah i know, I mentioned wanting to make the thread in the COMING UP NEXT thread when the episode came out, and i got a couple responses saying to just make it now. I added the (Pre-show) to the title so people don't think you started uploading it already. I'll remove that part of the title once the first episode is up.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

The blue hearts are really stupid and worsen the quality of this game for me and beating the stages deathless counting for true completion is just dumb

And the Chapter 4 clouds and Chapter 7 B-Side's "gimmick" are not stuff that I'm comfortable with

Also the lp has already started, haven't you all seen the episode 0?
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Yeah, count me in with the crowd not fond of the developer’s politics. However, that shouldn’t take away from the fact that the game is fantastic and whatever baggage the dev has doesn’t make it into the final product at all.
However, I’m not a fan of boycotting games from shady developers in general unless that shadiness works its way into the game. I’d just feel like I’m cherrypicking and being a hypocrite. The world is so full of companies like that and boycotting all of them is pretty much impossible. If you’d rather do it, then that’s fine, but I’ve just lost all imterest. If the product sucks, I won’t buy.
Last edited by Zach808 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

So I absolutely loved Celeste, really looking forward to this LP, and love pretty much all of Matt Thorson's prior work - this is the first I've heard of any trouble or controversy and google isn't helping me. Can someone just spill the beans, even if in a spoiler tag?
Literally the only thing I've found is that he added Anita Sarkeesian to Towerfall...?
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Matt made a deal with Horikawa that he would make a guest level for MaGLX2 if she got raocow to LP his SMW hack. Once the LP started he dropped all communication with her and never followed through with the level, but he did show up to post in the thread for the LP.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Celeste.

I haven't played this game, but I have seen a decent amount of gameplay from it, and I like what I saw. Take any of those one-shot challenge platformer games, but unlike stuff like IWBTG, it almost never tries to slap you in the face about it. This combined with the story, makes for what I view personally as an encouraging experience that I think everyone should give a shot, whether it be through the controller on their hands, or this LP.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago
Ohhh, right, no wonder I couldn't find anything - I was looking everywhere but here. A damn shame.

SMW Remix, totally forgot about it!
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Oh shit, I thought this was the

Sarkeesian thing

. Didn’t realize it was stuff a bit closer to home. Well, this is gonna be awkward if Matt is watching us crapping on him.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Saw PinkKittyRose stream it. It seems like quite a good game. Don't think I'll play it personally, but I'll be interested to watch this.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years ago Oh shit, I thought this was the

Sarkeesian thing

. Didn’t realize it was stuff a bit closer to home. Well, this is gonna be awkward if Matt is watching us crapping on him.
Well, should he stop by I hope he understands that while he is still an exceptionally talented games designer, breaking a promise to one of the nicest and loveliest people in the community without so much as a word of explanation is very, very rude and unbefitting behaviour. But we will still collectively enjoy his games, just a little more tempered by that little bit of history.

Let's put the matter of Anita aside totally as I suspect that will only result in an irrelevant argument and has no direct bearing on this community or the games of either Celete or towerfall..

All that aside, I'm really looking forward to raocow's reactions to the very first part of the game, in particular

the tutorial and how it teaches you to boost

, and later how he'll get on with the

blue heart puzzles

throughout. I suspect those, amongst many other moments, will be highlights for me.
Money

Post by Money »

Gonna be real good watching raocow lp this, this game is p much tailor made for his tastes. It... legit is prob one of my favorite games of all time. That's just me tho.

Gonna be interesting to see how long 7-C takes him, it took me literally 5 hours over two playsessions to beat. Prob the single hardest thing I've done in videogames.

AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I haven't finished this game yet, so I'll probably end up dropping the LP early on.
I will give a warning though - I started playing this on a Switch Pro controller and the dpad was a nightmare. Be careful about what you use to play it with!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

bad page 1
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I may pick this one up to play along (like I did with Escape Goat 2). How's it perform using keyboard controls?