(shouting)

Celeste - Everest

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Celeste - Chomo Lonzo

Post by Grounder »

πŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ™ˆπŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―MFW πŸ‘ WHEN πŸ‘ SQUAD πŸ‘ GOALS πŸ‘ TBQH πŸ‘ FAMπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ’¦
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Giik

Post by Giik »

Sidenote: You don't HAVE to reach one of the mountain symbols to save your progress using Save and Quit, but they are midpoints for when you return to the map. If you use Save and Quit mid-level then it'll skip the map when you start the file back up.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Fun fact: Theo actually has an Instagram in real life. It's full of promotional arts of the game and add to its lore. I would suggest not looking at the rest of the pictures though, as there may or may not be pictures that give cracks and inklings about the plot of this game.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah theo's instagram is a "look at it after you beat the main game" sort of affair, some of the shots there are actually cutscene images from the game so a little bit spoilery
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Since someone mentioned it in the Youtube comments I double-checked, and what I thought were postgame features are actually unlocked for each chapter after you beat them. My bad! So yeah, disregard my previous recommendation, there's no real reason to hold off on cleanup runs.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

the old lady really needs to fix the driveway

Money

Post by Money »

I love theo so much, he actually feels like he naturally captures "millennial speak" without feeling forced or "hello fellow kids"
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Mmmm, I'm gonna start early and say you should switch to keyboard. You accidently died a couple times because of whatever you're using.

An analogue stick could work, but it would need the notches for the 8 directions, like the Gamecube controller.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Money wrote: ↑5 years ago I love theo so much, he actually feels like he naturally captures "millennial speak" without feeling forced or "hello fellow kids"
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 4685 times
Nobody in their right mind stills says "YOLO" unironically or actually says "TBH" out loud.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Lostsoldier20
I am.

Post by Lostsoldier20 »

ohey coming out of vanished otherworlds to be all "yeah this game..."

Without going into too many details, this game hits all the right spots for me. Personally and game-wise. The game has so many smart choices going for it. Intuitively teaching you how to use the physics of the game to your advantage. Teaching you about breakable walls with walls that are so obviously breakable you can't help but dash into them. And then certain other secrets being taught that I won't name until the game shows them for itself, even if others mentioned it openly.... if unfortunate that SOME secrets are stupid to find.

And Theo's involvement does so much for the game. Past the old woman, you'd expect the mountain to be empty. By naturally exploring, he's just there. It's unlikely you'll skip him since the "real" path looks impossible to return from, while the Theo path seems feasible. And you can just... ignore him. You can keep this a lonely journey and never learn who this quirky guy is. Even for how "cringy" his dialog might be, I've heard worse out of my little cousin and people only 2-3 years younger than me (granted I live in a trashy town I am escaping from soon but I digress). He's hard not to like from this first interaction alone. It's also very obvious he's the opposite of Maddy from the get go. Out there, excited, super cheerful and wants to get to know you. You as the player can just... choose not to tell him Madeline's name if you stop talking there.

Maybe I'm just getting "too into it" because of how much the game speaks to me... But these are the things I've experienced so far. And I'm not even THAT far in, even if I'm at chapter 4.

Also Madeline is like the cutest thing. She is precious and deserves all the hugs.
I'm an idiot who likes vidya games.
And also maybe makes bad decisions based on those vidya games.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Grounder wrote: ↑5 years ago Nobody in their right mind stills says "YOLO" unironically or actually says "TBH" out loud.
millennial hipsters using slightly out of date memes out loud irl are a real thing and they're just as annoying and well-meaning as Theo here
Money

Post by Money »

Grounder wrote: ↑5 years ago
Money wrote: ↑5 years ago I love theo so much, he actually feels like he naturally captures "millennial speak" without feeling forced or "hello fellow kids"
Nobody in their right mind stills says "YOLO" unironically or actually says "TBH" out loud.
I... I say TBH out loud :oops:
Crow

Post by Crow »

so i just figured out the episode naming gimmick for this series and

cao,
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

look
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

My friend showed me this game a few weeks ago, and it was SO good. Awesome that raocow is lping it.
Fun fact: I died on the bridge breaking scene since I didn't jump far enough to trigger the cutscene, which kind of killed the introduction to the most important ability but was still hilarious.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

If this is anywhere near as good as AUS, I am 100% here for this.

Am I the only one getting kind of a Rapture vibe from the abandoned city? City in a remote location, built as a high concept by big money, went to pot?
I change this sig every year for Advent
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Keep in mind this is another one of those games that have both auto-checkpoints and manual saves. Entering a new room counts as a checkpoint for retries, but it doesn't save the game unless the autosave icon shows up. One time my computer crashed while I was playing and my progress reverted to where I started that session. So it can help to manually use the save and quit option after key points, and return to the game after that if you want to continue.

There's a lot of subtle mechanics with just three nondirectional buttons. If you're climbing, you can hop straight up from the wall and jump over the ledge of that wall if you're at the top. But if you're just sliding at the wall because you let go of the grab button or because you run out of stamina, you're limited to jumping away from the wall, which flings you quite a distance.

As an aside, the tutorial level has a screen to the left of the starting screen where you can see Madeline's car.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Wonder if there's a secret down here? After all, there's a narrow shaft on the top of the screen which is also the path to a more obvious secret...
Crow

Post by Crow »

let raocow explore on his own, dude. you don't need to point him towards stuff, it's easy to find stuff you missed with a little exploration.

i will say though - that communication tower thing you found, there's nothing that's gonna explain that for you, there is no "come back later with a new ability or new knowledge" type of things in this game really. nothing is "a thing for later". just fyi

also god bless raocow for missing the very, very obvious "return to map" option on the pause menu
Last edited by Crow 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

You can get the mysterious rectangle right now if you can find it. You can also do whatever it is with the satellite dish right now too. But don't feel like you absolutely have to do it right now. This game is really good about returning to the levels at a later time and getting what you missed later on. Obviously, you'll choose to play the game any way you want in the end, but my suggestion would be to just keep it real chill and play through the levels, returning for stuff you missed at a later time. This game holds many secrets, and you probably shouldn't get bogged down in them before you've barely gotten started.

Also, once you beat a stage you can Return to Map at any time and save all the strawberries and other things you find without having to fully beat the level. You can also Skip Cutscenes by pausing the game during one and choosing Skip.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

spot check for obvious escape route on the pause menu: failed
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

also the rectangle's location relative to the strawberries is not shown on the level select screen, just which section of the level it's in, another fyi
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

gah, 2 videos in and already spoilers :/
Imageβ”‚Imageβ”‚Imageβ”‚Imageβ”‚Image | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Parama wrote: ↑5 years ago let raocow explore on his own, dude. you don't need to point him towards stuff, it's easy to find stuff you missed with a little exploration.
I haven't played or even seen the game, I'm just speculating. And also commenting on signposting - if there is a secret in that hole (which...I guess there is judging from your reaction), then this would be a harder to find secret being hinted at by an easier to find one. Specifically, I wasn't sure when first seeing the screen if you could even fit there, but there's a passage just as narrow on the same screen and you can fit there, so that question was answered. It's simply neat design.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i mean, he found it in today's video anyways but i don't think there's any reason to try and nudge raocow towards specific parts of a level, the game is set up in a way to minimize exploration frustration anyways